Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1433986 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#896647 May 2, 2013
Check this out: http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2013/04/a-p... " At my worst moments, I succumb to thinking that we have become utterly trite, absorbed by ephemera, thin of character, quick but scattered of intellect, weak of will, and just at a moment in which we face gravely serious issues. We need Pericles or Alcuin or Aquinas or Milton or Lincoln, but we have the UN and Dewey and John Shelby Spong and the National Endowment for the Arts, and ... well, take your pick from among the politicians.

Despite some earnest wishes for a Third Way, our politicians and politics seem, as Front Porcher Mark T. Mitchell, puts it in The Politics of Gratitude: Scale, Place, and Community in a Global Age,“dominated by ‘liberals’ and ‘conservatives’ who often seem both illiberal and downright hostile to conserving much of anything.”

As an alternative to politics as usual, Mitchell develops “the politics of gratitude,” articulating foundational principles generally overlooked in our dead-end political oscillations, namely,(1) creatureliness,(2) gratitude,(3) human scale, and (4) place, before explaining the implications of those principles for (1) politics,(2) economics, 93) the natural world,(4) family, and (5) education.

The politics of gratitude is, he explains, rooted in stewardship, to persons “who commit themselves to preserving the good things of the world. Together they dwell in their various places, watching over those places and the good inherent therein as they tend them in trust for the next generation. Stewardship gives birth to acts of responsibility and care that are oriented toward the long-term preservation of the natural, cultural, and institutional goods we have inherited, even as it seeks to improve them.…”
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#896648 May 2, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Got a WalMart Neighborhood Market being built a mile from where I sit. Be able to walk there. Even better, I will finally be able to buy my golf cart!!!
You are and will remain part of the problem. Say hi to your Chinese overlords for me.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#896649 May 2, 2013
flack wrote:
Scientists starting to wonder if we are headed into a mini ice age. Mini is not defined.
Or like I've said all along just the normal climate cycle.
Look at the bright side with global warming it shouldn't be as sever as prior ice ages.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#896650 May 2, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I called you a moron, lily. Nowhere in the credible articles does it say the gun was a "gift" to the five year old, moron.
Where'd you get your story, lily? Raw Story or Muddy Matters?
Baawwwaahhhh!!!!
Dope!
Oh really Gunner? Did you reckon the boy went to Wallyworld all by hisself and bought it?

BURKESVILLE, Ky.— In southern Kentucky, where some children get their first guns even before they start first grade, Stephanie Sparks was cleaning the kitchen as her 5-year-old son played with the small rifle he was given last year. Then, as she stepped onto the front porch, "she heard the gun go off," a coroner said.

In a horrific accident Tuesday that shocked a rural area far removed from the national debate over gun control, her son, Kristian, had fatally shot his 2-year-old sister, Caroline, in the chest, authorities said.

Kristian's rifle was kept in a corner of the mobile home, and the family didn't realize a bullet had been left in it, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White said.

Down in Kentucky where we're from, you know, guns are passed down from generation to generation," White said. "You start at a young age with guns for hunting and everything."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/kris...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#896651 May 2, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Got a WalMart Neighborhood Market being built a mile from where I sit. Be able to walk there. Even better, I will finally be able to buy my golf cart!!!
Walmarts are now being built along Federal Hway, they used to be always out west. They're building them every 20 miles, they're going to put all the other stores out of business. The local politicians are all crooks, it's a shame how people don't pay attention to local politics, it's disgusting what they get away with.
Jimmy

Hamden, CT

#896652 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really Gunner? Did you reckon the boy went to Wallyworld all by hisself and bought it?
BURKESVILLE, Ky.— In southern Kentucky, where some children get their first guns even before they start first grade, Stephanie Sparks was cleaning the kitchen as her 5-year-old son played with the small rifle he was given last year. Then, as she stepped onto the front porch, "she heard the gun go off," a coroner said.
In a horrific accident Tuesday that shocked a rural area far removed from the national debate over gun control, her son, Kristian, had fatally shot his 2-year-old sister, Caroline, in the chest, authorities said.
Kristian's rifle was kept in a corner of the mobile home, and the family didn't realize a bullet had been left in it, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White said.
Down in Kentucky where we're from, you know, guns are passed down from generation to generation," White said. "You start at a young age with guns for hunting and everything."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/kris...
Whoops! Looks like one of your sockpuppets just go pulled lily!

Oh, the Huf Po?

Baawwwaaahhh!!!!!

Figures!
Jimmy

Hamden, CT

#896653 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really Gunner? Did you reckon the boy went to Wallyworld all by hisself and bought it?
BURKESVILLE, Ky.— In southern Kentucky, where some children get their first guns even before they start first grade, Stephanie Sparks was cleaning the kitchen as her 5-year-old son played with the small rifle he was given last year. Then, as she stepped onto the front porch, "she heard the gun go off," a coroner said.
In a horrific accident Tuesday that shocked a rural area far removed from the national debate over gun control, her son, Kristian, had fatally shot his 2-year-old sister, Caroline, in the chest, authorities said.
Kristian's rifle was kept in a corner of the mobile home, and the family didn't realize a bullet had been left in it, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White said.
Down in Kentucky where we're from, you know, guns are passed down from generation to generation," White said. "You start at a young age with guns for hunting and everything."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/kris...
"White said the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift, but it wasn't clear who gave him the gun, which is known as a Crickett."

Moran!
NJ raider 1

Philadelphia, PA

#896654 May 2, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
So "Komputer Siense" major who can't spell, speak or think, when it the last time you had a job?
Baawwaaahhhh!!!!
Yea Jim Bob, hell of a comeback! If your assumption of my work history is true, what would that make you? By your admission, hypothetically speaking, "you go to work to pay my
bills." See how stupid your comment sounds. You just call yourself a slave & didn't even know it! Picture that. This coming from a man who thought Americas are strikes on Iraq under Clinton was the start of the Iraq war, even though they were nearly 4yrs apart. Your teacher taught you grammar but, life failed you on common sense! A Lily, they found the computer if you haven't heard yet.
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#896655 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
A US jury has awarded $240m (£154m) to 32 mentally disabled men who suffered decades of abuse while working at a turkey processing company in Iowa.
Jurors in Davenport heard how the men had been kicked, verbally abused and denied toilet breaks by their employers from Henry's Turkey Service.
One expert said the disabled workers - who were each paid only $65 per month - had been "virtually enslaved".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-223...
That's a very sad story lily. The owner, a Texan had sent 0ver 1000 disabled men from Texas to labor camps around the country, many of them in Iowa where they worked for as little as 41 cents per hour.

The workers were not allowed cellphones and were never advised of any legal rights they may have.

The owner was also a tax cheat have not even filed in some recent years.

Plenty of good Midwestern Christian folk knew that this slavery arrangement had been occurring for thirty years and didn't raise a finger in protest.

I don't think the men will see any of their jury award.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#896656 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmarts are now being built along Federal Hway, they used to be always out west. They're building them every 20 miles, they're going to put all the other stores out of business. The local politicians are all crooks, it's a shame how people don't pay attention to local politics, it's disgusting what they get away with.
Some towns try and fight Walmart coming in and destroying their local businesses but with their army of lawyers they don't stand a chance. Or they agree to concessions such as building on the outskirts or upgrading the roads/traffic lights and other improvements and then after the town approves them coming in again they show up with their army of lawyers to get out of upgrading the roads/traffic lights and other improvements which they had agreed upon.

Walmart is scum and only complete aholes and fools shop there.

Since: Nov 11

Marengo, OH

#896657 May 2, 2013
Obama to go to Mexico to sell immigration reform to American Liberals!!!

Liberals are the laughing stock of Conservatism!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#896658 May 2, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>You are and will remain part of the problem. Say hi to your Chinese overlords for me.
Yup; torrential rain here in south Florida, all week.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#896659 May 2, 2013
The Labor Participation Rate bounced between 66.4 and 65.8 from Jan. 2003 till Jan. 2009 when it dropped to 65.7. From Jan. 2009 till present it has never gone back up above 66 but instead continues a steady decline.

bls.gov

Libtards are SO stupid!!!!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#896660 May 2, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>That's a very sad story lily. The owner, a Texan had sent 0ver 1000 disabled men from Texas to labor camps around the country, many of them in Iowa where they worked for as little as 41 cents per hour.
The workers were not allowed cellphones and were never advised of any legal rights they may have.
The owner was also a tax cheat have not even filed in some recent years.
Plenty of good Midwestern Christian folk knew that this slavery arrangement had been occurring for thirty years and didn't raise a finger in protest.
I don't think the men will see any of their jury award.
It really is a sad story, I can't stop thinking about it. Iowa, the state with a church on every corner. Did they think they were doing these men a favor? God bless the whistleblowers. I don't know how that owner can live with himself.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#896661 May 2, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
"White said the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift, but it wasn't clear who gave him the gun, which is known as a Crickett."
Moran!
What's your effing point dummy? The kid was given a gun as a gift and killed his baby sister. What difference would it make who gave it to him? The parents let him have it, they should be charged with murder and the kid taken away from these idiots.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#896662 May 2, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>That's a very sad story lily. The owner, a Texan had sent 0ver 1000 disabled men from Texas to labor camps around the country, many of them in Iowa where they worked for as little as 41 cents per hour.
The workers were not allowed cellphones and were never advised of any legal rights they may have.
The owner was also a tax cheat have not even filed in some recent years.
Plenty of good Midwestern Christian folk knew that this slavery arrangement had been occurring for thirty years and didn't raise a finger in protest.
I don't think the men will see any of their jury award.
I'm sure people like Flack have no problem with this, I'm sure most rightwingers consider this good old American entrepreneurship and the government should stay out of is.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#896663 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
It really is a sad story, I can't stop thinking about it. Iowa, the state with a church on every corner. Did they think they were doing these men a favor? God bless the whistleblowers. I don't know how that owner can live with himself.
He's a rightwinger, they hate their fellow man/woman.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#896664 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your effing point dummy? The kid was given a gun as a gift and killed his baby sister. What difference would it make who gave it to him? The parents let him have it, they should be charged with murder and the kid taken away from these idiots.
He has no point, he's a jackass.
Diane Sawyer

Pompano Beach, FL

#896665 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmarts are now being built along Federal Hway, they used to be always out west. They're building them every 20 miles, they're going to put all the other stores out of business. The local politicians are all crooks, it's a shame how people don't pay attention to local politics, it's disgusting what they get away with.
It has been reported that while boca lily was an employee of Walmart, she neglected to pay attention to national politics and supported Obama; it's disgusting what they get away with.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#896666 May 2, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmarts are now being built along Federal Hway, they used to be always out west. They're building them every 20 miles, they're going to put all the other stores out of business. The local politicians are all crooks, it's a shame how people don't pay attention to local politics, it's disgusting what they get away with.
The statistics prove that not to be true around here. For every WalMart built you get at least 50 other stores and restaurants. Around here when they build a new one you get a Sally's, Wendy's, Jiffy lube, three or four small strip malls full of stores and food joints, Applebee's, Dollar Tree, etc. They create hundreds of jobs over and above their own hires.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min Earthling-1 61,525
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 225,544
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr honeymylove 1,723
last post wins! (Dec '10) 3 hr honeymylove 2,571
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr TRD 71,067
Marine Joint Chiefs Chairman Rejects Obama Plan 6 hr HillarysDeathList 6
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr singer not the song 103,656

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages