Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#889577 Apr 18, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Lily, with all due respect, one of the biggest problems radical liberals have is wearing their emotions on their sleeve without thinking with their heads.
Having genuine empathy and compassion is possible without losing your ability to reason and think rationally in the process.
Nothing could have prevented the tragedy in Newton. Maybe if you would be more quick to look at what might be causing our younger generation to snap instead of chipping away Americans' rights who aren't comitting crimes, your outrage would be more credible.
It's a programmed kind of head empathy most of you liberals have rather than heartfelt empathy.
It's a knee jerk politically motivated reaction kind of empathy that isn't very convincing, as much as I hate to say it.
"Nothing could have prevented the tragedy in Newton."??? Why don't you just go back into the closet and pray that Karma doesn't cut down your daughter on her way back to the downward spiral condo she's forced to share with her parents tonight, you clueless old biddy. BTW, RIGHTS don't commit (committing?)crimes as a general real and although you're a head case, there is no such thing as head empathy.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#889582 Apr 18, 2013
Aunt Battie Lou wrote:
87 bottlee of beer...

easy there carol. the day is young.

and btw...are you buying beer with your food stamps?
Tameika

Pompano Beach, FL

#889585 Apr 18, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load. You should have been crying when Bush let all his Saudi friends leave the country the day after.
drunk lily she still be cryin bout old Bush when she should be cryin bout ole King Kenya an all his magic snakeoil she be drinkin
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889589 Apr 18, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Lily, with all due respect, one of the biggest problems radical liberals have is wearing their emotions on their sleeve without thinking with their heads.
Having genuine empathy and compassion is possible without losing your ability to reason and think rationally in the process.
Nothing could have prevented the tragedy in Newton. Maybe if you would be more quick to look at what might be causing our younger generation to snap instead of chipping away Americans' rights who aren't comitting crimes, your outrage would be more credible.
It's a programmed kind of head empathy most of you liberals have rather than heartfelt empathy.
It's a knee jerk politically motivated reaction kind of empathy that isn't very convincing, as much as I hate to say it.
I have never seen anything remotely resembling empathy from the Republican party.
The American people support background checks. This is pandering to the NRA. What a disgrace.
Remember Anne Coulter calling the 9-11 widows "whores", who were happy their husbands were killed?
You underestimate the effect that these nuts have on the public, rightwing radio is filled with sickening venom, these shut ins listen to this stuff daily, they're hooked on it like a drug. They fuel violence.
I personally think that anyone with children should not have guns in the house, they always find them, happens every single day. Adam Lanza's mother was a gun nut; so much so that she actually taught her crazy son to shoot. She taught him to kill her and all those others. 26 lives are forever destroyed.
I agree that any gun regulation will not deter all crimes, but eliminating certain automatic weapons altogether may reduce the carnage.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#889591 Apr 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
easy there carol. the day is young.
and btw...are you buying beer with your food stamps?
Are you really that dense?
Jane Says

New York, NY

#889593 Apr 18, 2013
Choose your horror: Boston or Philly?

No one wants to talk about abortion in America.
At least regular people don't.
We want the issue to go away or we want it to be settled law. Anything so we can stop talking about it.

We want abortion to be anywhere but in our mind's eye. Behind an ivory clinic door where no one but a woman and a doctor have to know about it.
We want to tie a bow around Roe v. Wade and call it progress. No matter what the new 3-D sonograms show.

Then a horror story like Philadelphia comes along and threatens to break our collective trance.

La, la, la. How 'bout them Mets?

Even the Boston bombing comes as cruel relief to those unwillingly learning the details of what happened behind the doors of a Philadelphia abortion clinic. Three confirmed dead in a wanton terrorist attack, including an 8-year-old boy. More than 100 wounded. And yet Boston is somehow an easier story to watch. It's easier to read even about terrorism than about sadism and infanticide.

In Philadelphia, a Dr. Kermit Gosnell is on trial for murdering seven babies and one patient at the abortion clinic he operated. Gosnell butchered the babies, according to testimony, because they had the temerity to survive his attempt to kill them in the womb. God help those children after they breathed air into their lungs. If you shut your eyes and listened to the trial transcript, you could confuse it for excerpts of the Josef Mengele trial. I forced myself to look at a post mortem photo of one infant who had initially survived Gosnell's abortion. I wish I hadn't.

La, la, la.

The Gosnell trial is the kind of news we don't want to hear about. It is painful and inconvenient. No one wants to think about late-term abortions, survivable abortions. They begin to unravel that tightly tied bow. Fewer want to get involved in the issue because it would make us one of "those people."

Northeast Republicans like me certainly don't.

Enter the fray and be tagged an "anti-choice extremist." It'll cost us 10 points in an election, so we look away. We say things like "it's the deficit, stupid." We pretend not to know about the extremism going on inside clinic walls across America. We whisper to each other privately about the videos of babies in the womb smiling, laughing and scratching their noses at 20 weeks.

Something doesn't add up, but it's settled law.

The issue is decided. Right?

Pro-choice groups definitely aren't talking about Philadelphia. Not one peep. They must be glued to the Boston story.

The Philadelphia story -- this Philadelphia story -- has been so ignored that it's become famous for it, thanks to brave Daily Beast columnist Kirsten Powers, a former Democratic consultant. She took on the media for its failure to cover the story, and slowly the empty press section at the trial began to fill up. It's hard to blame the press, though. No wanted to hear the bury-your-face-in-your-hands facts of the case anyway.

I didn't.

Then Boston happened. A horrific story in its own right. Just in the nick of time.

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/columnists/wil...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889597 Apr 18, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>"Nothing could have prevented the tragedy in Newton."??? Why don't you just go back into the closet and pray that Karma doesn't cut down your daughter on her way back to the downward spiral condo she's forced to share with her parents tonight, you clueless old biddy. BTW, RIGHTS don't commit (committing?)crimes as a general real and although you're a head case, there is no such thing as head empathy.
No one knows what to do with a person who has a mental illness or disorder; no one knows when or if that person will snap. What's the solution? Open up state hospitals again and start committing people to a life of institutionalization?
Adam Lanzas mother was obviously misguided by her love for guns; so much so that she stayed in denial that her son was in the basement practicing this for years. I hope those familes sue her estate and her husband for every single cent they have.
BTW, what caused the shyt to fly in Texas?
Grand Birther

Louisville, KY

#889600 Apr 18, 2013
TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS...TELL YOUR FRIENDS...HEY TELL YOUR ENEMIES...THERE IS PHONY, LYING SOB FOREIGNER IN THE WHITE HOUSE...AND GUESS WHAT..HE HATES AMERICA!...
FORGER! FELONY FRAUD! INELIGIBLE TO SERVE! CRIMINAL IMPOSTER RUNNING AMERICA!

SHOCKING! USURPER CAUGHT RED-HANDED! A Law Enforcement Investigation Proved Obama's Birth Certificate and Selective Service Registration Card are Both Forgeries. Obama Jailed an Officer for Asking to See Them. Obama Claimed He was Born in Kenya for 17 Years. In 2008, while Vetting McCain, Congress Ruled Presidents Must Have Two US Citizen Parents. Obama Signed This Resolution. Obama's "Birth Certificate" Says His Dad was Kenyan. SO OBAMA'S INELIGIBLE! Let's Arrest Him Now!
NJ raider 1

Brooklyn, NY

#889601 Apr 18, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, you keep coming from the angle that the proposal for new gun legislation is Infact, a run on law abiding citizens 2nd amendment rights. How about this, if your lawfully possessed weapon is stolen, & used in a crime, you as well as the criminal will be held responsible, so if it's murder, you will receive life as well! You folks think being lawful allows you the right to be irresponsible. It's your children that's ,stealing your guns, & you think somehow you're not responsible. It's your family & friends that's stealing your guns, & you think somehow you're not responsible. It's your weapons that winds up in the hands of criminals over 50% of the time, but somehow you feel you're not responsible. There's a law that says if a person you're with, whether you know or not, commits a crime (murder or robbery), you're held responsible by association. So should it be for your carefree attitudes regarding gun rights. If y'all knew you would be held responsible, I'm willing to bet, you would insert your own personal gun laws, in fear of the consequences. Empathy is an emotion felt with the heart. One can't think empathy, & because your minds in front of your spirit, you don't know the true meaning of the word, or don't know how to apply it in your life. These are people who lost their children, & love ones just pleading with America to make it harder for guns to wind up in the hands of the unintended, & y'all somehow turn this into Obama wanting to take your guns. Y'all should be ashamed!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889603 Apr 18, 2013
Anyone see a photo of Paul Kevin Curtis?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889609 Apr 18, 2013
Joe Scarborough: Senators Who Rejected Gun Background Checks Will 'Pay At The Polls'

I agree!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889612 Apr 18, 2013
"I'm sick and tired of people on Capitol Hill that I've known for a long time that I've respected, I'm sick and tired of them insulting my intelligence, acting like I am stupid enough and you're stupid enough and 90% of americans are stupid enough to believe that this bill would lead to a national registry! I hear it all the time! Hey, the bill itself puts people in jail for up to 15 years. If they keep these names and start a national registry. It's offensive. It's stupid. And, Mika, you know what? In the long run, all of those people that voted for a more dangerous America are going to pay at the polls. Mark my words. This is going to come up and it's going to hit them in the face."

Joe Scarborough

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889614 Apr 18, 2013
Co-host Mika Brzezinski agreed with Scarborough. Later, he turned to his own party, adding:

“Mark it down, this is going to be a turning point in the history of the Republican Party as well. And let those out there chattering, let them chatter away all they want to and scream like hyenas.… This party that killed this background check yesterday — this party is moving toward extinction. A new Republican Party is going to replace it. And this is going to be a vote that people will look back on and say,‘That party, that extremism, that was unsustainable.’”

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889615 Apr 18, 2013
NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Okay, you keep coming from the angle that the proposal for new gun legislation is Infact, a run on law abiding citizens 2nd amendment rights. How about this, if your lawfully possessed weapon is stolen, & used in a crime, you as well as the criminal will be held responsible, so if it's murder, you will receive life as well! You folks think being lawful allows you the right to be irresponsible. It's your children that's ,stealing your guns, & you think somehow you're not responsible. It's your family & friends that's stealing your guns, & you think somehow you're not responsible. It's your weapons that winds up in the hands of criminals over 50% of the time, but somehow you feel you're not responsible. There's a law that says if a person you're with, whether you know or not, commits a crime (murder or robbery), you're held responsible by association. So should it be for your carefree attitudes regarding gun rights. If y'all knew you would be held responsible, I'm willing to bet, you would insert your own personal gun laws, in fear of the consequences. Empathy is an emotion felt with the heart. One can't think empathy, & because your minds in front of your spirit, you don't know the true meaning of the word, or don't know how to apply it in your life. These are people who lost their children, & love ones just pleading with America to make it harder for guns to wind up in the hands of the unintended, & y'all somehow turn this into Obama wanting to take your guns. Y'all should be ashamed!
Applause.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
JOIN THE NRA

Davenport, IA

#889616 Apr 18, 2013
April 17th, 2013
Statement on U.S. Senate Defeat of Manchin-Toomey-Schumer Amendment
Chris W. Cox

Today, the misguided Manchin-Toomey-Schumer proposal failed in the U.S. Senate. This amendment would have criminalized certain private transfers of firearms between honest citizens, requiring lifelong friends, neighbors and some family members to get federal government permission to exercise a fundamental right or face prosecution. As we have noted previously, expanding background checks, at gun shows or elsewhere, will not reduce violent crime or keep our kids safe in their schools.

The NRA will continue to work with Republicans and Democrats who are committed to protecting our children in schools, prosecuting violent criminals to the fullest extent of the law, and fixing our broken mental health system. We are grateful for the hard work and leadership of those Senators who chose to pursue meaningful solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems. The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small
person with a gun is equal to a large person, but it is a great
equalizer in another way, too. It insures that the people are the
equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed. When the British forgot that they got a revolution. And, as a result, we Americans got a
Constitution; a Constitution that, as those who wrote it were
determined, would keep men free. If we give up part of that
Constitution we give up part of our freedom and increase the chance that we will lose it all.”–Ronald Reagan
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889617 Apr 18, 2013
Grand Birther wrote:
TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS...TELL YOUR FRIENDS...HEY TELL YOUR ENEMIES...THERE IS PHONY, LYING SOB FOREIGNER IN THE WHITE HOUSE...AND GUESS WHAT..HE HATES AMERICA!...
SHOCKING! USURPER CAUGHT RED-HANDED! A Law Enforcement Investigation Proved Obama's Birth Certificate and Selective Service Registration Card are Both Forgeries. Obama Jailed an Officer for Asking to See Them. Obama Claimed He was Born in Kenya for 17 Years. In 2008, while Vetting McCain, Congress Ruled Presidents Must Have Two US Citizen Parents. Obama Signed This Resolution. Obama's "Birth Certificate" Says His Dad was Kenyan. SO OBAMA'S INELIGIBLE! Let's Arrest Him Now!
Great idea, why don't you go to the White House and do it? We'll watch you on the news!!! Stupid retardican.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#889620 Apr 18, 2013
JOIN THE NRA wrote:
April 17th, 2013
Chris W. Cox
Today, the misguided Manchin-Toomey-Schumer proposal failed in the U.S. Senate. This amendment would have criminalized certain private transfers of firearms between honest citizens, requiring lifelong friends, neighbors and some family members to get federal government permission to exercise a fundamental right or face prosecution. As we have noted previously, expanding background checks, at gun shows or elsewhere, will not reduce violent crime or keep our kids safe in their schools.
The NRA will continue to work with Republicans and Democrats who are committed to protecting our children in schools, prosecuting violent criminals to the fullest extent of the law, and fixing our broken mental health system. We are grateful for the hard work and leadership of those Senators who chose to pursue meaningful solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems. The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small
equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed. When the British forgot that they got a revolution. And, as a result, we Americans got a
Constitution we give up part of our freedom and increase the chance that we will lose it all.”–Ronald Reagan
Argo eff yerself

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
NJ raider 1

Brooklyn, NY

#889623 Apr 18, 2013
Grand Birther wrote:
You're just flat out dumb! Look outside, an alien is peeking through your window! Nut job, you believe anything anybody tells you. I'll tell you what, go ahead, go arrest the president. Do America some justice. Try it, so the CIA can blow your brains out.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#889627 Apr 18, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Are you really that dense?
no.

are You really that dense?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#889630 Apr 18, 2013
JOIN THE NRA wrote:
April 17th, 2013
Chris W. Cox
Did Reagan support an assault-weapons ban?

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/...

yes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Beavis 179,410
Abby 10-24 23 min edogxxx 23
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 49 min TRD 68,662
Amy 10-24 1 hr Toj 10
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr grave digger 47,499
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr D-U-H 50,634
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr scirocco 70,102
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]