Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Nov 5, 2008, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#889102 Apr 17, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't want to change the definition of marriage though.
How would you know, dumb, annoying carol? Do you speak dolphin? Hope you're more fluent in it than you are in English. I'd still like someone to tell me how giving gays equal rights is a threat to heterosexual unions. If you check the divorce rate, you might realize what marriage needs defense against.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#889104 Apr 17, 2013
tough one wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun nuts are turning on our country.
Time to defend our country from these right wing lunatics.
It looks as though that the measure will fail by only a handful of votes and the subject will go to the back burner until after the 2014 elections. The (R'S) and a few of the (D's) at risk don't want to chance losing their cushy jobs.

I guess we're still a few slaughters short of meaningful gun control.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#889105 Apr 17, 2013
tough one wrote:
<quoted text>
You old dks couldn't even sell that bullshit during election season.
Evasion is concession.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#889107 Apr 17, 2013
NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Flack, you know the process of slavery! From buying humans as property to beating said property to maintain obedience. Even lynching to set examples to the rest of the herd. I know there were Irish slaves, & that didn't take away from the guilt. I know there were black slave owners, that doesn't take away from the guilt. Just because something is common, doesn't mean it's right. Look at the gays!
i don't disagree to some atrocities in slave ownership but for the most part why would you treat your slaves bad? I mean farmers today don't misuse their mules and horses. Now I'm not equating slaves to mules and horses but they were bought for the same reason. I'm not saying there were not bad slave owners but mostly it doesn't make sense. Before all the libtards think I'm for slavery I'm not. Just having I hope an honest discussion.

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#889108 Apr 17, 2013
tough one wrote:
Mudbutt built homes using scabs and immigrants.
Rite?
"Rite"? Rong.

They knew better to even show up at my building sites. And I damn sure didn't use union slugs.

When's dawn?

#889109 Apr 17, 2013
Fenris the Big Bad Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you still posting here, you red-headed pig abortion? GTF off of my thread.....
Go back to hell, you hydra-headed moran. GFY...some more.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#889111 Apr 17, 2013
CNN: John King to Wolf Blitzer: 'on a store video tape the suspect appears to be a dark skinned individual'.

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#889112 Apr 17, 2013
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Just another pipe dream to pacify you lunatic fringe tea baggers
How many crock-pots did you fk up before you figured it out?
Takeisha

Pompano Beach, FL

#889114 Apr 17, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Go back to hell, you hydra-headed moran. GFY...some more.
you gots a dirt mouth illegitimate babymama how you gonna raise decent offspring when you a lousy mouth bad mama?
Jane Says

New York, NY

#889117 Apr 17, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
Whatever happened to the Benghazi terrorists?
Nothing, you say?
That's what I thought.
After 911, Bush kept us safe.
What about Obama?
Dead people and over 100 in the hospitals in Boston?
N. Korea, Iran.
Anyone feel safer now?
There have been more anti-US attacks & abortive attacks (not including Iraq & Afghanistan) in the last four years than in the previous seven years, after 9/11.

This statistic isn’t widely cited at government briefings, in the main news media nor on most college campuses, because those elites would like to pretend that the terror problem ended with Osama bin Laden.

That includes the president & his top aides, who’ve spent the better part of the last two years relying on a mistaken conclusion.

They’ve pretended that there really was no terror problem, but only an al Qaeda problem, & that that problem was solved because bin Laden’s death was a death blow for terror.

They were wrong then, & they’re wrong now, dead wrong.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#889118 Apr 17, 2013
Terror never left America’s shores
4-16-13
‘People shouldn’t jump to conclusions before we have all the facts,” President Obama said after Tuesday’s attack in Boston. He’s right, of course: We don’t yet know if the terrorists were Islamists, a new version of Tim McVeigh or something else.

Yet Islamists remain the chief terror threat on these shores: Terror didn’t return to America at the Boston Marathon, because terror never left.

There have been more anti-US attacks & abortive attacks (not including Iraq & Afghanistan) in the last 4 years than in the previous 7 years, after 9/11.

This statistic isn’t widely cited at government briefings, in the main news media nor on most college campuses, because those elites would like to pretend that the terror problem ended with Osama bin Laden.

That includes the president & his top aides, who’ve spent the better part of the last 2 yrs relying on a mistaken conclusion.
They’ve pretended that there really was no terror problem, but only an al Qaeda problem, & that that problem was solved because bin Laden’s death was a death blow for terror.

They were wrong then, & they’re wrong now, dead wrong.

Terrorists often send us reminders just when we think we have beaten them. Israel has seen this happen several times in its fight against Islamist terror. So did Britain in its experiences with both Irish & Islamist terror. & now the United States is learning that fighting terror is not a sprint but a marathon.

Karmi Gillon, then head of Israel’s Shin Bet security agency, bragged about killing the main terror planner of Hamas in 1996. As he patted himself on the back, Hamas launched suicide bombings that convulsed Israel for several more years until the suicide bombers were uprooted in a massive Israeli military operation in 2002.

Israel has pioneered targeted killings, drones & other high-tech anti-terror methods, but it has also learned you can’t defeat terror just with high tech. There is no substitute for the tough & painstaking collection of intelligence & grinding work on the ground.

OBAMA, AG ERIC HOLDER & OTHERS IN THE ADMINISTRATION HAVE DONE THEIR BEST TO INHIBIT THE COLLECTION OF SUCH INTELLIGENCE, WHILE THEY HAVE AT THE SAME TIME LAUNCHED PROBES OR PROCEEDINGS AIMED AT COUNTER-TERROR WARRIORS IN THE CIA & THE TOP UNITS OF THE US MILITARY.

AMERICA WAS KEPT SAFE BY INTELLIGENCE GATHERED EARLIER; DATA GATHERED FROM PRE-OBAMA INTERROGATIONS ALSO HELPED LEAD TO BIN LADEN HIMSELF. YET THOSE EFFORTS HAVE ENDED, & US INTELLIGENCE HAS BEEN COASTING.

OBAMA & CO. ALSO MINIMIZED THE ROLE OF ISLAMIST TERROR IN PREVIOUS ATTACKS ON THE UNITED STATES, SUCH AS FORT HOOD & THE CHRISTMAS BOMBING IN DETROIT.

The 1ST step in fighting terror is to realize that there is a terror problem that requires a major national effort, but some of our top “experts” on terror — especially in the Obama administration — demure.

JOHN BRENNAN, NOW OBAMA’S CIA HEAD, WROTE IN A 2008 PAPER,“US NATIONAL SECURITY WOULD BE BEST SERVED IF WASHINGTON PUBLICLY ACKNOWLEDGED” THAT IRAN & HEZBOLLAH HAD MOVED AWAY FROM TERROR. HE CLAIMED THE WEST COULD WOO MODERATES INSIDE IRAN’S REGIME & HEZBOLLAH WITH SWEET TALK & SOME INCENTIVES. EVENTS HAVE PROVED HIM WRONG.

Iran & Hezbollah are trying hard to move advanced weapons & chemical arms from the collapsing state of Syria into Lebanon. Iran also sped up long-range missile development, its bomb program & arms transfers to South America. Since 2008, it has planned or executed terror attacks in Asia, Africa & even the United States.

Obama is right not to jump to conclusions about the Boston attack, but he’d be wise to realize he was wrong in his previous conclusions about terror. As the 9/11 Commission observed, fighting terror means using imagination, not pretense.

Terror never left America’s shores - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolu...
Jane Says

New York, NY

#889119 Apr 17, 2013
medic wrote:
The baggers better hope its not a right winger.
Republican Party is already damn near extinct.
and any second, a Democrat will propose taking pressure cookers away from law abiding citizens.

When's dawn?

#889121 Apr 17, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Rite"? Rong.
They knew better to even show up at my building sites. And I damn sure didn't use union slugs.
"They knew better to even show up"??? So did buyers who didn't want leaky plumbing or non-standard wiring...how and why do you think union workers get to be union workers.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#889122 Apr 17, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> i don't disagree to some atrocities in slave ownership but for the most part why would you treat your slaves bad? I mean farmers today don't misuse their mules and horses. Now I'm not equating slaves to mules and horses but they were bought for the same reason. I'm not saying there were not bad slave owners but mostly it doesn't make sense. Before all the libtards think I'm for slavery I'm not. Just having I hope an honest discussion.
If that's so start by learning of the slave docks and auctions where families were ripped apart, breeding took place and much more. When humans are reduced to chattel__weird sht happens. There are books and essays about Annapolis and other slave docks along the Southeast coast.

There were slaves taken to the Caribbean Islands as well, do you think those slaves were treated the same as those brought to the Colonies/US?

Did you know that some Africans who arrived with the Dutch as free men were later sent into slavery. It was about skin color then__still is.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#889124 Apr 17, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>If that's so start by learning of the slave docks and auctions where families were ripped apart, breeding took place and much more. When humans are reduced to chattel__weird sht happens. There are books and essays about Annapolis and other slave docks along the Southeast coast.
There were slaves taken to the Caribbean Islands as well, do you think those slaves were treated the same as those brought to the Colonies/US?
Did you know that some Africans who arrived with the Dutch as free men were later sent into slavery. It was about skin color then__still is.
The first slaves brought here were brought right here. Where I live. I know all about it. Fort Monroe is just across the water from me.

Why don't you libtards go to the defense of what the muslims do then? They still have slaves and treat their women and children as property. Yet when I bring it up to libtards all I hear is 'It's their religion. Who are we to interfere?'. Yet if it was Christians you would be screaming your fool head off!!! Friggin' libtards!!!
NJ raider 1

Paterson, NJ

#889125 Apr 17, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>How would you know, dumb, annoying carol? Do you speak dolphin? Hope you're more fluent in it than you are in English. I'd still like someone to tell me how giving gays equal rights is a threat to heterosexual unions. If you check the divorce rate, you might realize what marriage needs defense against.
Leosnana, nobody said it was a threat to heterosexual marriage. At least not that I know of. If it's no big deal, why can't they accept civil union as the gay form of marriage? I'll tell you why Leo! It stands to reason that the push behind gay marriage is to normalize it, thus mislead the children. They want push their agenda claiming" that people are born gay." Not so, & if you look at the statistics, just little over 2% of the population is gay. Do you mean to tell me, natures normal is only 2% of the population. To be born gay means it's natural, so natural is only 2% of the population! Real shit Leo, I don't care about marriage. Marriage is just another money scheme just like holidays. It's the message behind allowing them to marry. I still believe in protecting the kids. Pushing gay marriage wouldn't be protecting them, because as it stands, the more gays, the more suicides. A demographic of only 2% accounts for over 50% of the nations suicides. The numbers speak for themselves! If we want to give children a choice, let give them a choice. Not tell them that opposite sex & same sex marriages are the same. Not trying to argue Leo, you asked, I answered!

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#889126 Apr 17, 2013
These things are still going on in Africa and the middle east. I don't hear any of you libards on hear screaming about the burkas. The sexual mutilations of little girls. The selling of boys and girls into the sex trade. The stoning to death of woman for simply walking outside without a male member of the family. How about the stoning death of women who are raped?
The peaceful religion of Islam!! What a joke!!!

You libtards are the biggest hypocrites on the planet!!!

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#889127 Apr 17, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>"They knew better to even show up"??? So did buyers who didn't want leaky plumbing or non-standard wiring...how and why do you think union workers get to be union workers.
They pay their dues, that's how.

How do you imagine contractors are licensed, the same way teachers are? Are you really that stupid?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#889128 Apr 17, 2013
medic wrote:
It's a given that one of the right wing mutts from topix is guilty of some kind of atrocity.
like using the NYPost for a source?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#889129 Apr 17, 2013
medic wrote:
It's a given that one of the right wing mutts from topix is guilty of some kind of atrocity.
Limbaugh mimics?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min red and right 52,878
abby 4-26 14 min Blunt Advice 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min Jacques in Orleans 187,384
Ask Amy 4-27-15 24 min Stina2 6
Dear Abby 4-27-15 32 min Stina2 6
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 41 min RACE 8,018
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 44 min RACE 5,915
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]