Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Read more
The Slayer

Findlay, OH

#886700 Apr 11, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Minimum wage should be raised in certain instances and deductions should be capped (specifically Fortune 500 companies and their spin offs)
Ponder that, while you worship the root of much evil.
They need to get rid of the federal minimum wage.
It for sure is way too high.
The minimum wage serves no purpose except to just screw things up,
and used as a wedge issue and buy votes.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#886701 Apr 11, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not just promote your local dog pound Duh A Vey, sounds about at the same mentality level of, ya nasty feral peabrain.
While homosexuals vehemently reject being considered mentally ill, RealDave has no problems regarding those who dislike criminals or homosexual behavior as mentally ill.. The next thing homosexuals and criminals will want, their deranged behavior to be called normal..
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#886702 Apr 11, 2013
Tea party titan Rand Paul, visiting Howard University on Wednesday, told students that he had been called “either brave or crazy to be here” at the historically black college.

Probably some of each: brave, because he’s trying to sell himself and fellow Republicans to African Americans, a singularly resistant demographic; and crazy, because he based his pitch on revised history and airbrushed facts — and the Howard kids weren’t fooled.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dana-m...
The Slayer

Findlay, OH

#886703 Apr 11, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Tea party titan Rand Paul, visiting Howard University on Wednesday, told students that he had been called “either brave or crazy to be here” at the historically black college.
Probably some of each: brave, because he’s trying to sell himself and fellow Republicans to African Americans, a singularly resistant demographic; and crazy, because he based his pitch on revised history and airbrushed facts — and the Howard kids weren’t fooled.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dana-m...
Rand Paul just ROCKS!!!
Perhaps the next Pres of this great country
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#886705 Apr 11, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Rand Paul just ROCKS!!!
Perhaps the next Pres of this great country
oh sure.

just as soon as he can convince the black folks to vote for him.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#886707 Apr 11, 2013
First Thoughts: Rand Paul’s Howard Speech

....What was missing?— Towards the end of the speech I had this interview with MBD in mind:

Most conservatives like to think that they have principles that are color-blind: the eternal verities and such. I think this is a kind of self-flattery that excuses historical ignorance on our part. Enslavement stripped Africans of their ethnicities, their languages, and their religion. That means more than any one other group in this country African-Americans are a people created by the history of our nation and its politics: commerce, slavery, the Civil War, emancipation, the civil rights movement. It is a naïveté bordering on psychosis to suggest that black politics should conform to some imagined color-blind set of principles. Just junk that and start reaching out into the black community. I sense a real hunger on their part for political competition for their vote and support.

There is an absolutely electrifying intellectual tradition of black self-sufficiency and independence that is a good fit within a big-tent conservatism. And it is larger than Booker T. Washington. Zora Neal Hurston endorsed Robert Taft in the 1950s. Malcolm X was in many ways both more radical than King and more conservative too. This tradition is not at all color-blind, but it is localist, communitarian, religious (Muslim and Christian), and entrepreneurial. I also think conservatives should start political discussions on our drug war, on prison reform, and on policing that can and should help us re-connect with African Americans.

Senator Paul mostly avoided the tone-deafness of the sort Dougherty describes in the first paragraph, and he absolutely deserves credit for taking up some of those criminal justice reforms. But if Paul had framed his argument in terms of the consonance between conservative values and the black intellectual tradition instead of the GOP’s civil rights history, which is largely irrelevant today, I have a feeling he might have received a less tepid response. Of course it’s not his tradition to interpret, but he could have made the point gracefully.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/first-...
NJ raider 1

Baltimore, MD

#886709 Apr 11, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
They need to get rid of the federal minimum wage.
It for sure is way too high.
The minimum wage serves no purpose except to just screw things up,
and used as a wedge issue and buy votes.
Don't know exactly where you all from but, here in these parts of Jersey, the cost for a 3br apt is anywhere from $1000 to$1200. 2 adults making minimum wage can barely make that rent. The cost of living has steadily increased, while the minimum wage hasn't budged, & the times it has gone up wasn't enuff to match the cost of living. Everybody can't be doctors, lawyers, architects, or even business owners. Someone has to do the jobs most people done want to do. Even some college grads are taking jobs out of their career areas with lower incomes. This causes a trickle down effect. Every different job in America serves as a cog in the chain that makes this whole thing work. No one is promoting that these people should make as much money as you or be able to afford your lifestyle at all but, every job paying employees to perform a service, deserves to keep up with the cost of living. As of right now, it is too low & needs to be adjusted to match the rise in the cost of living. We live in a competitive world but, no one man is any better than any other man. You have the fortunate & unfortunate. Both are Americans & deserve to be treated & compensated as such!

Since: May 11

Gettysburg, PA

#886710 Apr 11, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not just promote your local dog pound Duh A Vey, sounds about at the same mentality level of, ya nasty feral peabrain.
I'm not promoting anything. Merely pointing out that the behaviors of some homosexuals in cruising for sex is no different than some heterosexuals cruising for sex.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#886711 Apr 11, 2013
NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Don't know exactly where you all from but, here in these parts of Jersey, the cost for a 3br apt is anywhere from $1000 to$1200. 2 adults making minimum wage can barely make that rent. The cost of living has steadily increased, while the minimum wage hasn't budged, & the times it has gone up wasn't enuff to match the cost of living. Everybody can't be doctors, lawyers, architects, or even business owners. Someone has to do the jobs most people done want to do. Even some college grads are taking jobs out of their career areas with lower incomes. This causes a trickle down effect. Every different job in America serves as a cog in the chain that makes this whole thing work. No one is promoting that these people should make as much money as you or be able to afford your lifestyle at all but, every job paying employees to perform a service, deserves to keep up with the cost of living. As of right now, it is too low & needs to be adjusted to match the rise in the cost of living. We live in a competitive world but, no one man is any better than any other man. You have the fortunate & unfortunate. Both are Americans & deserve to be treated & compensated as such!
If a person has no marketable skill sets then they may have to work multiple menial jobs to make ends meet. It is not the employers responsibility to insure that their employee can make ends meet. That is the responsibility of the individual. Part of that responsibility is to attempt to make yourself marketable and take steps to keep skill sets current.

Not all jobs are worth minimum wage just as not all individuals are worth minimum wage.
The Slayer

Findlay, OH

#886712 Apr 11, 2013
NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Don't know exactly where you all from but, here in these parts of Jersey, the cost for a 3br apt is anywhere from $1000 to$1200. 2 adults making minimum wage can barely make that rent. The cost of living has steadily increased, while the minimum wage hasn't budged, & the times it has gone up wasn't enuff to match the cost of living. Everybody can't be doctors, lawyers, architects, or even business owners. Someone has to do the jobs most people done want to do. Even some college grads are taking jobs out of their career areas with lower incomes. This causes a trickle down effect. Every different job in America serves as a cog in the chain that makes this whole thing work. No one is promoting that these people should make as much money as you or be able to afford your lifestyle at all but, every job paying employees to perform a service, deserves to keep up with the cost of living. As of right now, it is too low & needs to be adjusted to match the rise in the cost of living. We live in a competitive world but, no one man is any better than any other man. You have the fortunate & unfortunate. Both are Americans & deserve to be treated & compensated as such!
The min. wage does very little in they of addressing the problems
you listed....well except only makes things worse.
Its all about the kind of job and skill level of the earner.
Entry low skill jobs will always be low paying....min. wage or no
min. wage.
Increasing the min. wage only distorts the market, increases prices
and serves to increase demand on things such as rent.
My opinion those who earn min. wage have kept pace with infl. far better then middle income working people.
Its the middle income workers that have not only seen their
earnings not keep up...but have gone down in recent years.
But the min. wage has been increased to absurd levels.

Simple fact is someone who income is based on a news paper route
is not going to be able to pay for such things like high rent, its
not intended to do so.

There is such a thing as upward mobility and the desire for it,
to screw with that desire is dangerous.
The Slayer

Findlay, OH

#886713 Apr 11, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
oh sure.
just as soon as he can convince the black folks to vote for him.
I kinda don't think he will be convince many black folks.
But the youth vote....well that's a different matter.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#886714 Apr 11, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
They need to get rid of the federal minimum wage.
It for sure is way too high.
The minimum wage serves no purpose except to just screw things up,
and used as a wedge issue and buy votes.
It needs raised for the 19 and over sectors. Especially with this new robbinghoodieTic tax, fine and whip the working class back taxpayers yet more for nothing!

Dirtbag.
dem

United States

#886716 Apr 11, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>Rand Paul just ROCKS!!!
Perhaps the next Pres of this great country
Even dumber.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#886717 Apr 11, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Rand Paul just ROCKS!!!
Perhaps the next Pres of this great country
Christie/Paul 2016!
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#886718 Apr 11, 2013
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Even dumber.
Why?

Non-out of control BUDGETS are GOOD things.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#886719 Apr 11, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
The min. wage does very little in they of addressing the problems
you listed....well except only makes things worse.
Its all about the kind of job and skill level of the earner.
Entry low skill jobs will always be low paying....min. wage or no
min. wage.
Increasing the min. wage only distorts the market, increases prices
and serves to increase demand on things such as rent.
My opinion those who earn min. wage have kept pace with infl. far better then middle income working people.
Its the middle income workers that have not only seen their
earnings not keep up...but have gone down in recent years.
But the min. wage has been increased to absurd levels.
Simple fact is someone who income is based on a news paper route
is not going to be able to pay for such things like high rent, its
not intended to do so.
There is such a thing as upward mobility and the desire for it,
to screw with that desire is dangerous.
Those who have consistantly, rationally and logically lived within their means, rather than (dreaming, pretending and spending) beyond them, have kept pace better than ANY "classwarefare" type ignorance.

No matter WHAT the wage scale.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#886720 Apr 11, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person has no marketable skill sets then they may have to work multiple menial jobs to make ends meet. It is not the employers responsibility to insure that their employee can make ends meet. That is the responsibility of the individual. Part of that responsibility is to attempt to make yourself marketable and take steps to keep skill sets current.
Not all jobs are worth minimum wage just as not all individuals are worth minimum wage.
What's pathetic are those who only wish to pay minimum wage, for skill levels well beyond, and those who expect paid beyond what the actual relaive worth is.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#886721 Apr 11, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not promoting anything. Merely pointing out that the behaviors of some homosexuals in cruising for sex is no different than some heterosexuals cruising for sex.
Nope, sure isn't.

My opinion-This law featrued in the artilce below-oughta be federally implemented.

Bhattacharjee,R. "Florida pushes bill to criminalize 'revenge porn'." MSNnews. Web. 4/11/2013
NJ raider 1

Baltimore, MD

#886722 Apr 11, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
The min. wage does very little in they of addressing the problems
you listed....well except only makes things worse.
Its all about the kind of job and skill level of the earner.
Entry low skill jobs will always be low paying....min. wage or no
min. wage.
Increasing the min. wage only distorts the market, increases prices
and serves to increase demand on things such as rent.
My opinion those who earn min. wage have kept pace with infl. far better then middle income working people.
Its the middle income workers that have not only seen their
earnings not keep up...but have gone down in recent years.
But the min. wage has been increased to absurd levels.
Simple fact is someone who income is based on a news paper route
is not going to be able to pay for such things like high rent, its
not intended to do so.
There is such a thing as upward mobility and the desire for it,
to screw with that desire is dangerous.
I don't know the exact statistics but, understand my analogy. There's 360 million people in the country. Lets say roughly 150 mill are work eligible adults. That means there needs to be 150 mill jobs. There is not enuff jobs to keep up with the public demand of employment, let alone people working 2 or 3 jobs. What you call menial jobs are physically demanding for the most part. What I want to know is , what makes you think your job is more important? What make you believe that you families well being is more important? What gives you the right to what we know as, a standard American life when I just explained that there isn't even enuff jobs for everybody to have 1 job. Why should a person be forced to work 2 or 3 jobs just to make inns meet? That only takes from other eligible workers, who eventually wind up on welfare. Then you'll be complaining about that. It's not peoples position to want to work menial jobs. It's the fact there isn't enuff jobs in the first place, let alone good paying ones to fit thesscenario you're suggesting. As far as your comments on the middle class. It makes no sense at all! The middle class job holders started out in front of the 8 ball. If they never got their income increased, they'd still be able to make rent. What you're doing is discriminating on folks by class. You're saying the top 2 classes deserve raises & an American standard of living, & the bottom class doesn't. Everyone can't receive loans from banks to start their own business, so they do what they need to do for their families well being. They too deserve an American standard of life! Probably more so then the other 2. It's new in the republican party. It's called trickle up economics!

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#886724 Apr 11, 2013
St Black Pope wrote:
<quoted text>No matter what you need to get through the day, this is still a lie. Despite, the ignorance or racism and sexism, it is not a medically treatable thing, so stop lying. As for homophobia, when you choose to stop being gay then your homophobia will disappear.
Suicide is a mental illness and homosexuals have 8 times the rate of suicide as heterosexuals, so the obvious answer is that homosexuality is a mental illness. Is drug "addiction" a mental illness? Yes. The drug causes a chemical imbalance and the mind becomes mentally misconstrued to believe that it needs the drug. This is exactly what happens with homosexuality and pedophilia.
You want later studies, or are you just twisting any old thing to make your point.:The study, which was published Mar. 11 in the International Journal of Epidemiology, looked at the mortality -- or death -- rates of 6.5 million Danish adults from 1982 to 2011 who were in relationships during that time. The rates of mortality for married gay men has been going down since 1996, and now is lower than that of unmarried or divorced heterosexual men.

"Among men in Denmark, it is more dangerous to be unmarried or divorced than to be married to another man," Frisch told Live Science in a separate interview.

Denmark was the first country to allow same-sex partnerships in 1989. Researchers used information from the Civil Registration System, which gives out identification numbers similar to Social Security numbers in the U.S."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min Scott 51,893
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 23 min Buford 99,305
dear abby4-1-15 again. 1 hr RACE 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr red and right 185,985
abby4-1-15 1 hr RACE 1
Amy 3-30-15 1 hr miss ann elk 40
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr RACE 5,829
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]