Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Ernest

London, UK

#883330 Apr 3, 2013
Leo, I love you. Do you intend for me to recite the entire English language before you succumb? Ok, so be it. How could you possibly give in to that cretin knowing that there's a man like me in the world? Expediency? Oh well.
Aunt Mattie

Orlando, FL

#883331 Apr 3, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Food stamps no longer exist dummy__the recipients are issued a card (EBT) and while there is still fraud it's nowhere near the amount back in the days of the coupons.
Obviously you haven't a clue as to how SNAP is administered.
Same thing. How can the federal government who can't even keep up with over 900,000 claims by veterans keep up with the abuse and fraud of EBT cards?

Get this.

A local CBS affiliate in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, did an investigative report and found that a single mother of two who makes $19,000 a year is entitled to nearly $82,000 a year in free daycare, free weatherization projects on her home, free cell phones, etc.

It's not the issue of taxpayers not wanting to help someone with child care so they can work but the tempatation by many single mothers NOT to earn more for fear of losing these entitlements.

Don't you see this is a potentially big problem? Especially when there's so little oversight?
Aunt Mattie

Orlando, FL

#883333 Apr 3, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
Obama to attend the opening of W.'s new library.
I wonder if they will have a copy of The Pet Goat in there?
BTW, Homer, I would hope you had a gun handy if someone twice your size just decided to beat the tar out of you.

Poor Homer, you wouldn't stand a chance.

Maybe we should ban strong muscular guys.
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#883334 Apr 3, 2013
Among the lessons for today is to stay alert for signs of the establishment’s favorite fallback strategy – distracting the public with a dehumanized enemy – and how the actions of other countries can create unexpected ripples. Father & son, 1957 President Bourguiba hoped the UN Security Council would take up the Algerian crisis. But many in his own political party were skeptical, and called British and US help in Tunisia’s negotiations with France an “Angle-Saxon smothering operation.”

Bill Lloyd admitted that Tunisia really had no one in her corner. After all, the French used US NATO planes to bomb Sakiet and the State Department opted to ignore it. But President Eisenhower had changed his tune since 1955. In March 1956, he had promised to do everything possible for a peaceful settlement in Algeria. The State Department pretended not to get the memo. The “smothering operation” apparently meant burying Bourguiba’s efforts to make the Algerian war part of any larger North Africa discussions, and blocking any push for separate Algerian nationhood. Lloyd reached a common sense conclusion. Only the US was in a position to speak firmly with France about the necessity of peace and independence for Algeria. Until then leaders would just be addressing fringe issues – or, in the case of Dulles on Tunisia – or Indonesia, make matters worse.

Global Visions By the end of the 1960s the non-aligned agenda, the movement Toward Freedom had pioneered in the US, was a plank in the foreign policy platform of many new nations. Making an editorial adjustment, the newsletter gradually shifted focus to the emerging impacts of neo-colonialism, acknowledging the complex economic challenges of independence, and promoting a role for non-aligned countries as peacemakers. Lloyd also took up a new fight – promoting satellite broadcasting as a tool for development and peace. Clearly ahead of his time, he offered a radical vision that still resonates almost half a century later. He wrote:

“World communication are as important to the future of world society as the nervous system is to the human body….A new structure commensurate with today’s technological advances is necessary, institutionalizing the concept of reciprocity, in which each nation will be given the opportunity to broadcast its music, drama, literature and views on world affairs to the rest of the world.”

Imagine: a true global exchange of cultures beyond the reach of commercial media, embracing interdependence and proudly promoting diversity. The 1970s began with groundbreaking reports on the proclamation of a “cooperative republic” in Guyana, emerging disaster in Cambodia, and Gulf Oil’s support for Portuguese colonialists in Africa. Where was the US media by this time? Still ignoring most struggles for freedom around the world. And when they did pay attention the coverage frequently reinforced stereotypes. TF continued to correct the record and fill in the gaps by drawing on a network of independent correspondents Lloyd had recruited. Maps were frequently used to reveal geopolitical dynamics (still a good note for media covering international news).
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#883335 Apr 3, 2013
South China Sea Dispute: U.S. Proxy Conflict With China
China will not be passive in sea disputes

Despite the fact that John Kerry, the new US secretary of state, has stepped into office and some side effects brought by his predecessor’s aggressive approach are in decline, the US stance on the South China Sea will not fundamentally change. Behind China’s frictions with the Philippines and Vietnam is actually the rivalry between Beijing and Washington over the South China Sea.

Chinese naval fleets recently conducted patrols on the South China Sea, reaching as far as Zengmu Reef, the southernmost part of Chinese territory. In an oath-taking ceremony on board Tuesday, the troops and officials vowed to safeguard China’s sovereignty.

Earlier this month, a Chinese vessel fired two warning signal shells into the sky to prevent illegal fishing operations by Vietnamese fishermen. Both showed China’s firm determination to insist upon its stance amid the South China Sea disputes.

Washington expressed its concerns in both cases, reinforcing its attitude that the US can interfere in the South China Sea issue any time.

Despite the fact that John Kerry, the new US secretary of state, has stepped into office and some side effects brought by his predecessor’s aggressive approach are in decline, the US stance on the South China Sea will not fundamentally change. Behind China’s frictions with the Philippines and Vietnam is actually the rivalry between Beijing and Washington over the South China Sea.

After Hillary Clinton’s four-year intervention into the South China Sea issue with her “smart power” diplomacy, and Manila and Hanoi’s frictions with Beijing, all kinds of risks within the South China Sea issue have become evident. All parties involved now have a clearer understanding of each other’s national strength and determination.

China, through powerful countermeasures against Manila and Hanoi’s provocations, has changed its passive status. Beijing had been worried that frictions on the South China Sea would cause deterioration in its surrounding environment and thus undermine its period of strategic opportunities. Now most of its concerns have been dispelled.

OBAMA CHINA IS NOT LYBIA,EGYPT, SYRIA, AND THE AFRICANS NATIONS YOU HAVE BEEN MESSING WITH Mr. PEACE PRIZE WINNER lolololol what a joke
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#883336 Apr 3, 2013
HOORAY FOR OBAMA HIS PRESIDENCY still says the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer yeaaaaaaa The Two Sides of America’s “Economic Recovery”: Stock Markets and Food Stamps at Record Highs
News this past week focused attention on two economic indices in the US: record numbers of people on food stamps and a new high for the Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index. Their juxtaposition speaks to the reality of the economic “recovery,” whose most basic feature is a widening of the social divide in America.

An article in the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, which reported that food stamp usage in the US has increased by 70 percent since 2008, received scant attention. But the figures it presented are shocking. A record 47.8 million people were enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) as of December 2012.

The biggest driver of the explosive increase in SNAP is poverty. Almost 50 million Americans were living in poverty in 2011, according the US Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure (SPM), which factors in expenses for food, clothing, shelter, utilities, health care and other essentials.

In 2010, about 87 percent of food stamp recipients were at or below the poverty line, which is set at the ridiculously low level of about $25,000 for a family of three. Only 3.5 percent of recipients had household incomes over 130 percent of the poverty line. Half of current SNAP recipients are children, and half of these children—some 10 million—live in extreme poverty, meaning family income is less than half the official poverty level.

One in six Americans receives food stamps. Last year’s average monthly benefit was a paltry $133 per person.

For families struggling to put food on the table—even with the aid of SNAP benefits—the much vaunted economic recovery has nothing to do with their reality. The past five years have seen not only a huge increase in the SNAP rolls, but also a dramatic increase in the ranks of the working poor. Three out of four households receiving SNAP benefits include at least one person who is working.

NJ RAIDER 0
-- - - _ _ _SELORNAPADEN

Kansas City, MO

#883337 Apr 3, 2013
REDNEX ON METH

LOW INCOME
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A (LESBO) D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T .
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T ..
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T .
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
r
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T

WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T

WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
ar
both
from
P A D E N
O K L A H O M A
who
go
by
different
names
on
TOPIX
havin
fun
makin
trouble
with
people
on
these
AA FORUMS
just
a
heads
up
on
who
u r
dealin
with
T M T
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
LOSERS
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
othr
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
LOSERS
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
TOPIX
among
many
other
names
L O R N A
D A V I S
and
her
hub
D A V I D
D A V I S
are
both
LOSERS
WHITE
RACIST
REDNEX
L O R N A
D A V I S
is
E X T E N D E D
F A M I L Y
on
IS
A
LOSER
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#883338 Apr 3, 2013
OBAMA WORKS FOR THE 1% and clowns the poor On the other side of the class divide, stock market analysts and the media celebrated the continuing surge in share prices. The S&P 500—the stock market index of 500 large US companies—capped a four-year rally Thursday, recouping all of its losses from the 2008 global financial crisis.

The S&P 500, which rose to 1,569.19, has rocketed 10 percent in the first three months of the year, becoming the last major US market gauge to hit a new high. The Dow Jones Industrial average has already eclipsed its previous high from late 2007. The Los Angeles Times commented on the S&P breakthrough:“The milestone underscored investors’ enthusiasm over the increasingly buoyant economy.”

The vast majority of Americans are not the beneficiaries of this “buoyant economy.” Rather, growing numbers of people have been thrown deeper into poverty and social distress. Long-term unemployment has become entrenched. Working families are saddled with growing debt and struggle to pay for housing and other basic necessities, let alone put aside anything for retirement.

The increasing chasm between ordinary Americans and the elite that is celebrating stock market records is not the outcome merely of impersonal economic processes. The growth of social inequality since the 2008 financial crash is the product of definite policies pursued first under Bush and then under the Obama administration. The political establishment has pursued a bipartisan policy of class warfare against the working class while bailing out Wall Street and assisting its continued plundering of social resources.

The US Federal Reserve is pumping $85 billion a month in virtually free money into the financial system, fueling the stock market boom. This is more money in a month than the $76.6 billion the federal government spent all of last year to provide SNAP benefits to 47.8 million impoverished Americans.

Despite the explosive growth of the food stamp rolls and the obvious need for more funding for SNAP, even the minimal expansion of the program under the Obama administration’s 2009 stimulus bill is set to expire on October 31, cutting food stamp benefits by about $8 per month per recipient.

The repeated refrain from Washington is that there is “no money” for schools, housing, health care and other vital social needs. Big business politicians—fixated on reducing budgets and pursuing new wars—are calling for even more austerity. Earlier this week, President Obama signed a bill making permanent this fiscal year’s $85 billion in sequester cuts, which will slash billions of dollars from programs benefiting the poor.

The budget proposals of the Democrats and Republicans call for deep cuts to social programs. Both parties are eyeing Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid—programs that were won through mass social struggles of the working class—for not only sweeping funding cuts, but ultimately for destruction through privatization and other means.

Having precipitated the financial crash through a combination of speculation and fraud, the financial oligarchy is now demanding that its losses be repaid many times over through the impoverishment of the broad mass of working people.
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#883339 Apr 3, 2013
LOLhahaha no RESPECT FOR BLACK PEOPLE LOLOLOLhahahah 700 Days: CBC, Obama — No Meeting in Almost 2 Years
Congressional Black Caucus has not had a sit down meeting with the President in 700 days as of today.

Though the President is planning to have a second dinner with Senate Republicans on Wednesday, April 10, the Black Caucus has yet to meet with President Obama this year. Their last group meeting with the President as a group at the White House in May 2011.

In the interim, the President has met with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, had dinner with Senate Republicans who have blocked his agenda, met with Rep. Paul Ryan (D-WI), travelled to Israel, met with leaders of African nations and had two lengthy interviews with Hispanic media. As the immigration issue and gay marriage have dominated headlines, big issues disproportionately confronting Black Americans are on the back burner.

No set date for a meeting between President Obama and the CBC has been made.

With 53 schools closing in Chicago on March 29 and 22 people shot over the weekend in the city, there are big issues to discuss both local in nature and national in scope. The larger issues overshadow the issue that received most of the press attention last month: That the Chair of the CBC, Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-OH) has called on the President to nominate an African American to his cabinet. Over 12 hires to top positions in the Obama Administration since January, the President has hired none.
Waxman

UK

#883340 Apr 3, 2013
After a long and fabulous day of exclusive property/real estate hunting I am back at my expensive flat getting ready for a dinner of spotted dick, bangers, Pie and Mash with parsley liquor, and some Yorkshire Pudding for desert. I will then be retiring for the evening.
I had another successful venture today, bought another castle. Here it is:

http://anglotopia.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp -
content/uploads/2009/03/138330 399_7024ab075f.jpg

My plan is starting to take formation. I was also fitted for my crown. Try not to be too jelous libtards. Tomorrow after a sumptuous breakfast of "Toad-in-the-Hole" I will be off again hunting for more properties and buildings to build my English empire with. Have a nice evening all.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#883341 Apr 3, 2013
Aunt Mattie wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, Homer, I would hope you had a gun handy if someone twice your size just decided to beat the tar out of you.
Poor Homer, you wouldn't stand a chance.
Maybe we should ban strong muscular guys.
Good luck finding someone twice my size, maybe an NFL lineman? Homer has gotten by just fine for going on 50 years without ever getting the tar beat out of him.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#883342 Apr 3, 2013
Aunt Mattie wrote:
<quoted text>
Same thing. How can the federal government who can't even keep up with over 900,000 claims by veterans keep up with the abuse and fraud of EBT cards?
Get this.
A local CBS affiliate in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, did an investigative report and found that a single mother of two who makes $19,000 a year is entitled to nearly $82,000 a year in free daycare, free weatherization projects on her home, free cell phones, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DHe3P1p1LDYXX
It's not the issue of taxpayers not wanting to help someone with child care so they can work but the tempatation by many single mothers NOT to earn more for fear of losing these entitlements.
Don't you see this is a potentially big problem? Especially when there's so little oversight?
You tube, c'mon__once again, in Florida, who administers SNAP?

BTW, SNAP is in the Florida newspapers today due to some pending Florida legislation and the arrest of a Daytona convenience store owner who was in violation.

Maybe you should research SNAP before you you spew more bullsht.
Waxman

UK

#883343 Apr 3, 2013
You all may, if you would like, begin calling me
"Waxman, Lord of the Manor" from now on.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#883344 Apr 3, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck finding someone twice my size, maybe an NFL lineman? Homer has gotten by just fine for going on 50 years without ever getting the tar beat out of him.
Former Governor Mark Sanford is checking in on same sex marriage___apparently he's relevant again.

His furriner honey is damn sure relevant eh?

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#883345 Apr 3, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck finding someone twice my size, maybe an NFL lineman? Homer has gotten by just fine for going on 50 years without ever getting the tar beat out of him.
Homer full of tar?

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#883346 Apr 3, 2013
nobamaredux wrote:
<quoted text>
Many people would choose to have a contractual agreement instead of traditional marriage if they could start over again.
Have the fancy wedding by the preacher, the big reception, and the honeymoon, but forget about the marriage license. Just be sure not to live in a common law marriage state.
And just where do you get this from?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#883347 Apr 3, 2013
nobamaredux wrote:
<quoted text>
More broadly, eliminate all federal programs that take federal tax dollars and return the money to state and local governments, minus an exorbitant commission for federal overhead.
Let the state and local governments collect those taxes directly, if they so choose.
And then the state and local governments will rip you off.

Look - wherever the money goes, they will rip you off. Federal government, local government, bank, corporation.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#883348 Apr 3, 2013
TSM wrote:
Liberal ideology 99% verse 1%!! Today Liberals want’s to penalize 99% of Law Abiding citizens for 1% of the Mental disturb individuals that commit these crimes!! Again can any Liberal/Democrat tell me what’s being Propose would have prevented Sandy Hook?
I'm sorry - what's the penalty again?
nobamaredux

Philadelphia, PA

#883349 Apr 3, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Fisker Automotive was founded in 2007 apparently to take advantage of the various state and federal incentive available at "that" time. It was entirely funded by opm, other peoples money.
The company has never hit stride.
Gentle words for a fraudulent company that never produced a damn thing.
Taxpayer

Point Harbor, NC

#883350 Apr 3, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Tell gun owners to quit shooting people en masse and there won't be any need. Right now as noted we bear all the burden, why shouldn't gun owners bear more responsibility for themselves and their fellow gun owners actions?
If anything gun owners should get an insurance discount, they are willing to protect their property and others. Unlike the non-gun owners who would stand by and watch while others are hurt or kill like they did at Sandy Hook. They are communist minded cowards not Americans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
music 4 min anonymousdoom 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 min Straight Jacket 46,616
Amy 9-17-14 14 min liner 4
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 16 min Hatti_Hollerand 616
Amy 9-16 43 min Mister Tonka 39
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr PEllen 98,214
Dear Abby 9-17-14 1 hr PEllen 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques from Ottawa 178,002
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search