Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
carol

Orlando, FL

#882146 Mar 31, 2013
Forgot to add <tongue in cheek> after posting this.

"The pagan holiday was probably celebrated by a different version of modern-day liberals creating another distraction."

Now's a good time to go play Angry Birds?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882147 Mar 31, 2013
Plus, knowing the pagans as I do, there likely a little bit of "Hide-the-Salami," going on, if you know what I mean. <wink, wink>

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
TSM

El Paso, TX

#882148 Mar 31, 2013
How pathetic is a Liberal, pretty Pathetic, on Easter Sunday… Obama, Pelosi, McAuliffe issue Easter Sunday fundraising!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882149 Mar 31, 2013
Many times on Easter I'll get out the rabbit fur coat Bill bought me when we students at the elite mid-western university, SIU. Yes, I'll take all my clothes off and just roll my naked body around and around on it on the dining room table. Once, I woke up and was startled to see the paper-boy and his friends with their little faces plastered up against the sliding glass door out onto the porch with all their little winkies out. Kids! Ah, spring!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882150 Mar 31, 2013
TSM wrote:
How pathetic is a Liberal, pretty Pathetic, on Easter Sunday… Obama, Pelosi, McAuliffe issue Easter Sunday fundraising!!
Well, on a scale of one to twelve, it's about as pathetic as a bunch of jews watching Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible IV on what, for christians allegedly, is the "holiest" day of the year. Of course, they did kill the stupid prick in the first place...

Say, um, how can you tell the mormon at Passover? He's the one secretly recording the jews at dinner hoping he can pick up some investment advice.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882151 Mar 31, 2013
I must admit, honey, I love the image of you playing Angry Birds.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882152 Mar 31, 2013
Hi. My name is carol and I'm going to defecate on the Easter table now.Then I'm going to take my hands and rub it all over the room, paying particular attention to the walls and ceiling.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#882153 Mar 31, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
Having a little breakdown there, Ed??
Who are you addressing in your post? You seem confused again. Forget your meds??
Give it up, oldtimer. That was a crazy screed, even for you.
<quoted text>
"nutsucker"
I was addressing you. I honestly did not expect you to understand. You are dense.
Gotta a question for you. Why do you continue to direct
posts to me? You claimed you would not do so. Are you a tad bit of a liar? A phoney? A bullshitter? All of the above?
Peace
KMA

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#882154 Mar 31, 2013
The Religious Origins of Liberalism

In columns for The Daily Caller and The Week, Matt K. Lewis explains why social conservatives have lost the culture wars:

…many social conservative positions are buttressed on faith. But they also believe — and this is important, politically — that a proper and primary role of government is the preservation of virtue. And part and parcel of this is the assumption that our society is merely a short-term destination on the way to our heavenly home. This, of course, is in strong contrast to Y.O.L.O.(“you only live once”) worldview.

Here’s the problem: Not only do secular liberals reject this philosophy, but so do other elements of the conservative “three-legged-stool.”…Whereas social conservatives look to the Church for guidance,“classical liberals”(the Free Market, limited government ideology that values individuals) probably trace their fundamental beliefs back to Locke.

This is an important insight about the tensions in the conservative coalition. But it requires some elaboration and qualification if it is not to be misunderstood.

First, belief “that a proper and primary role of government is the preservation of virtue” is not distinctively Christian. Rather, it is main theme of the republican political tradition, the main elements of which were articulated by Cicero in and for a pagan society.

Some features of Cicero’s republicanism were adapted for Christian use by Augustine. In modern times, however, they have often been the vehicle for a critique of Christianity as corrosive of the military courage and concern for the common good necessary to a free society. According to Machiavelli and Rousseau, for example, Christianity is politically dangerous precisely because it encourages believers to seek their true home in heaven rather than defending their city on earth. In Europe, this neo-Roman argument rather than liberal individualism was the inspiration for the secularizing politics that emerged from the French Revolution.

Second, the individualism Lewis associates with Locke is historically derived from Christian sources. In fact, the whole point of Locke’s minimal definition of the state as a voluntary association for protection of life and property is that it leaves the individual free to relate himself to God as he sees fit.“Classical liberalism”, in other words, is historically based on Protestant theological arguments about the requirements for salvation rather than concerns about the market as such.

There is no necessary connection, then, between Christian faith and the politics of virtue or between secularism and theories of limited government. Rather than projecting contemporary categories into the past, we should investigate categories and concepts that were actually used in specific settings. The American Founding and early Republic, in particular, can be understood better in light of the Christian republicanism inherited from Calvinism than either conservatism or liberalism. But that is a story for another post.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-re...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#882156 Mar 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
The Religious Origins of Liberalism
In columns for The Daily Caller and The Week, Matt K. Lewis explains why social conservatives have lost the culture wars:
…many social conservative positions are buttressed on faith. But they also believe — and this is important, politically — that a proper and primary role of government is the preservation of virtue. And part and parcel of this is the assumption that our society is merely a short-term destination on the way to our heavenly home. This, of course, is in strong contrast to Y.O.L.O.(“you only live once”) worldview.
Here’s the problem: Not only do secular liberals reject this philosophy, but so do other elements of the conservative “three-legged-stool.”…Whereas social conservatives look to the Church for guidance,“classical liberals”(the Free Market, limited government ideology that values individuals) probably trace their fundamental beliefs back to Locke.
This is an important insight about the tensions in the conservative coalition. But it requires some elaboration and qualification if it is not to be misunderstood.
First, belief “that a proper and primary role of government is the preservation of virtue” is not distinctively Christian. Rather, it is main theme of the republican political tradition, the main elements of which were articulated by Cicero in and for a pagan society.
Some features of Cicero’s republicanism were adapted for Christian use by Augustine. In modern times, however, they have often been the vehicle for a critique of Christianity as corrosive of the military courage and concern for the common good necessary to a free society. According to Machiavelli and Rousseau, for example, Christianity is politically dangerous precisely because it encourages believers to seek their true home in heaven rather than defending their city on earth. In Europe, this neo-Roman argument rather than liberal individualism was the inspiration for the secularizing politics that emerged from the French Revolution.
Second, the individualism Lewis associates with Locke is historically derived from Christian sources. In fact, the whole point of Locke’s minimal definition of the state as a voluntary association for protection of life and property is that it leaves the individual free to relate himself to God as he sees fit.“Classical liberalism”, in other words, is historically based on Protestant theological arguments about the requirements for salvation rather than concerns about the market as such.
There is no necessary connection, then, between Christian faith and the politics of virtue or between secularism and theories of limited government. Rather than projecting contemporary categories into the past, we should investigate categories and concepts that were actually used in specific settings. The American Founding and early Republic, in particular, can be understood better in light of the Christian republicanism inherited from Calvinism than either conservatism or liberalism. But that is a story for another post.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-re...
Classical Liberalism vs. Modern Liberalism and Modern Conservatism

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/classical-liberalism-...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 11

Aspers, PA

#882157 Mar 31, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Both the Senate and the House had to pass the bill before Bush could sign it. It passed the Senate 74–25 and the House 263–171. Democrats took control of Congress in 2007. TARP was passed in 2008. Senator Obama voted for it.
Just another example of how the pathetic right blames Obama for an initiative thought up & proposed by George W Bush.

REPUBLICAN George W Bush & his REPUBLICAN administration proposed TARP.

It was a plan to cease a growing disfunction in our financial institutions that, if not dealt with, would lead to the collapse of our entire financial system.

No one liked TARP. I am sure Bush didn't like proposing it. The pubic did not want to bail out the greedy pukes of Wall Street.

In this dire time for our country, the Democrats did stand with Bush to help our country.

Where were most Republicans? Playing politics. Hoping being against TARP would win them votes.

Just like the past 4 years, the Republican Party chose what they thought was best for their party instead of what was best for our country.

Thank You Carol for bring up that example of the "party First" efforts of the pathetic Republican Party.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#882159 Mar 31, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Classical Liberalism vs. Modern Liberalism and Modern Conservatism
In the history of politics, there is only one fundamental, abiding issue: It is individualism vs. collectivism. Do individuals have the right to pursue their own happiness, as Thomas Jefferson thought and as the Declaration of Independence deemed self-evident? Or do we have an obligation to live our lives for the community or the state, as most societies have claimed throughout most of history?

Yet if this is the paramount political issue, why is it not forthrightly debated in presidential elections and in other contests for public office? The reason is that American political debates tend to be dominated by modern liberalism and modern conservatism — approaches to politics that are properly called “sociologies” rather than “ideologies.”

Modern liberalism is not completely collectivist; nor is it completely individualistic. It has elements of both doctrines. The same is true of conservatism. Neither view provides a coherent approach to politics, built up from first principles. Instead, they both reflect a process that is akin to picking items from a dinner menu. What is chosen is a matter of taste rather than a matter of thought. Just as people with similar tastes in food tend to frequent the same restaurants, people with the same tastes in politics tend to vote for the same candidates.

What that leaves us with are candidates, platforms and political parties whose ideas are inconsistent and often incoherent. The thoughtful voter may sometimes vote for the conservative, sometimes for the liberal and sometimes just abstain.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 11

Aspers, PA

#882160 Mar 31, 2013
moshx wrote:
<quoted text> davey can't you comprehend truth at all? I don't want any legislation , its the people who play in poop that are pushing legislation and their views onto others. Is all truth bigoted in your opion? You seem to use that word for everything you disagree with.
Nice try. Your comments concerning Gays identify you as a bigot.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#882161 Mar 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
In the history of politics, there is only one fundamental, abiding issue: It is individualism vs. collectivism. Do individuals have the right to pursue their own happiness, as Thomas Jefferson thought and as the Declaration of Independence deemed self-evident? Or do we have an obligation to live our lives for the community or the state, as most societies have claimed throughout most of history?
Yet if this is the paramount political issue, why is it not forthrightly debated in presidential elections and in other contests for public office? The reason is that American political debates tend to be dominated by modern liberalism and modern conservatism — approaches to politics that are properly called “sociologies” rather than “ideologies.”
Modern liberalism is not completely collectivist; nor is it completely individualistic. It has elements of both doctrines. The same is true of conservatism. Neither view provides a coherent approach to politics, built up from first principles. Instead, they both reflect a process that is akin to picking items from a dinner menu. What is chosen is a matter of taste rather than a matter of thought. Just as people with similar tastes in food tend to frequent the same restaurants, people with the same tastes in politics tend to vote for the same candidates.
What that leaves us with are candidates, platforms and political parties whose ideas are inconsistent and often incoherent. The thoughtful voter may sometimes vote for the conservative, sometimes for the liberal and sometimes just abstain.
Classical Liberalism is nothing like Modern Liberalism which there is nothing Liberal about Modern Liberalism.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#882163 Mar 31, 2013
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) said Sunday that there will be a Republican nominee for president who supports gay marriage at some point in the future.

"I think that's inevitable," Flake said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "There will be one and I think he'll receive Republican support -- or she will. So I think that, ah --- yes, the answer is yes."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/f...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#882164 Mar 31, 2013
A former adviser of Ronald Reagan has some choice words for George W. Bush.

David Stockman, Reagan’s budget director from 1981 to 1985, slammed Bush and his former boss in an op-ed in The New York Times Sunday. Stockman argued in the piece that Reagan’s view on the deficit “created a template for the Republicans’ utter abandonment of the balanced-budget policies of Calvin Coolidge.”

“(Reagan’s deficit policies) allowed George W. Bush to dive into the deep end, bankrupting the nation through two misbegotten and unfinanced wars, a giant expansion of Medicare and a tax-cutting spree for the wealthy that turned K Street lobbyists into the de facto office of national tax policy,” Stockman wrote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/31/davi...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882165 Mar 31, 2013
DEATH wrote:
Everybody hates your guts, carol -- even your compatriots on this open latrine of a thread. They only pretend to defend you. They're like the baptists; they'll take anybody. I will too.
The Lord is my savior
I shall not want...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#882166 Mar 31, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Classical Liberalism is nothing like Modern Liberalism which there is nothing Liberal about Modern Liberalism.
Classic Conservationism is nothing like Modern Conservationism in which there is nothing Conservative about Modern Conservatism.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882167 Mar 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) said Sunday that there will be a Republican nominee for president who supports gay marriage at some point in the future.
"I think that's inevitable," Flake said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "There will be one and I think he'll receive Republican support -- or she will. So I think that, ah --- yes, the answer is yes."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/f...
And, she'll be black of course. I must confess this has been sort of an object lesson in how the Republican Party became the Democratic Party and vice-versa.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#882168 Mar 31, 2013
There WAS a time when I would never have DREAMED of inviting Pastor Bob and Liz over to smoke pot and listen to Vince Gill CD's.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min Frijoles 71,043
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Cowobunga 51,254
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 49,220
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Uzi 68,883
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Guru 181,833
New Beach Boys song. 13 hr The Beach Boys 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 13 hr _Zoey_ 363
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:01 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:01PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins
Bleacher Report 6:14 PM
RG3 Showing Enough to Remain Starter in WSH