Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“wake up”

Since: Jan 10

utica ny

#881189 Mar 28, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get a hardon there bucko.
I am straight.
Heterosexual anal sex - I guess you've never done it?
And yes, you are a bigot. Admitting it is a first step. Get professional help.
now that's funny, someone who thinks palying in poop is normal and ok telling me to seek professionsl help.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#881191 Mar 28, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I detect a little Hillarybonics in your tone?
I suppose seeing talent in a past president kinda throws a wet blanket over this one. What can he do, bounce a ball, hit a ball, and host a ball. Wow.
Well, I can see why you would see it as talent. What hillbilly righwinger has any concept of art anyway?

Don't worry, when President Obama is no longer the President, he will be the most sought after speaker in the world, just like Bill Clinton.
While Bush keeps painting his juvenile self nudes at his whites only hamlet in Texas!!! Hell, they didn't even want him or his father at the convention!!! What a disgrace.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#881192 Mar 28, 2013
In Supreme Court, anti-gay movement is humiliated

"It didn’t take long for the empty truth about the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act to be exposed Wednesday, and there was little equality opponents could do. At the Supreme Court hearing, Elena Kagan, the newest justice, read from the House Report from Congress when it passed the law in 1996, which summarized DOMA’s entire legal underpinning:“Congress decided to reflect and honor a collective moral judgment and to express moral disapproval of homosexuality.” According to people in the room, there were gasps and laughter at the so-called “gotcha moment.”

It was a duh moment, but a necessary one. Yes, DOMA’s about discrimination. That disapproval of gay people, not tradition or government uniformity, is at the root of the act is blatantly obvious both to anyone who observed it at the time and to everyone who has changed their Facebook profile photo this week. But it needed to be set out on a national stage, a few feet away from rainbow-festooned children asking what the big deal was. This week, both sides put forward their best cases and it quickly became clear the opposition to equality is based not on law or reason, but bigotry.

Throughout the hearing, the justices focused on issues of standing and administrative law and federalism, apparently looking for a way out. But whether the Court punts or not, it’s already given the country an opportunity to see just how empty and discriminatory the case against marriage equality is, at a moment where opponents have to give it their best shot. Put aside all the diversionary tactics, the crazy theories about marriage being reserved for shotgun weddings for straights, the baseless claim that this is about the children. Even if it’s not in the briefs, their argument boils down to this: Gay people are gross, let’s put off anything suggesting otherwise for as long as we can.

Paul Clement, who was appointed by the House to defend the law President Obama won’t, responded to Kagan,“Sure, the House Report says some things that we are not — we’ve never invoked in trying to defend the statute.” In other words, Clement and the House saw no purchase in trying to defend the, well, original intent of the law.

Marriage equality opponents claimed that with DOMA, the federal government was just trying to set a uniform standard while the states did their thing, and that this was about the democratic process. But as Solicitor General Donald Verrilli pointed out,“There are no genuine administrative benefits to DOMA. If anything, Section 3 of DOMA makes federal administration more difficult,” because of a patchwork of state laws. He added,“And the fundamental reality of it is, and I think the House report makes this glaringly clear, is that DOMA was not enacted for any purpose of uniformity, administration, caution, pausing, any of that.”

And then he spelled out why it was enacted:“To exclude same-sex married, lawfully married couples from federal benefit regimes based on a conclusion that was driven by moral disapproval.” Basically, bigotry, funneled through the political process — in this case, the federal government. ""

----------

The GOPigs thought they had a winner with DOMA.

They thought they had a winner in fighting against Obamacare.

They thought they had a winner in Rmoney.

Their losing streak continues.

First they will lose on gay rights, then they will lose on immigration.

Next they will lose the midterms.

Then they will lose the Presidential election in 2016.

I'm lovin' it!!

America changed while GOPigs were asleep!!
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#881193 Mar 28, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Um... that sounds suspiciously like the truth? Well, even throwing in a few years for good luck, America is only a shade over 350 years "old" and really the America you refer to is white, European America rather than the one that existed for 20,000+ years before Doofus and Isaac decided they could make a quick buck easier overseas. New America Scmoo America, it's not "old" enough to really even be listed in the phone book of history.
"Religion" and military invasion have always gone hand in hand, however. The military has never been else (until now) than the enforcement arm of "da church." Or, in the current context, religion offers idiot members of the military justification and absolution - if God told us to do it then how bad could it be?
The problem with dismembering the "churches" is that they have an armed escort. It's like if Xavier Hollander had hung out with Al Capone back in the day.
But there's another player in the mix these days, at least he's playing a bigger role than he did previously, and that's "business and capital." Yes, those crazy kids saw a chance to privatize the military and they wasted no time going for it. Now, in order to place checks on greedy pricks and pizza salesmen (or the military) you have to thread a maze of armed morons screaming, "That's un-American!" or, "That's un-patriotic." Yeah those are the guys you've gotta keep an eye on, those're the modern day thugs, or priests as they used to be called. They love their country so much they bank in Aruba and Cyprus.
But on the whole, your post appeals to me. I like it.
Well if you are Black LOOK AT WHAT GOES ON IN AFRICA NO BETTER THAN AMERICA EVEN HAD SOME GUY LOOKED UP FROM AFRICA WHO BROUGHT CHILDREN TO AMERICA TO BE HIS SLAVES THE AFRICANS ARE no DIFFERENT THAN WHITE EUROPEANS TO THIS DAY THEY ARE PARTNERS WE ALL WERE NOT KINGS AND QUEENS MISEDUCATION OF THE NINJAS
carol

Orlando, FL

#881194 Mar 28, 2013
The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits rose more than expected last week.

The labor market is being closely watched by the Federal Reserve, which last week said it would maintain its monthly $85 billion purchases of mortgage and Treasury bonds to foster faster job growth.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economywatch/...

Does anyone see something wrong with the second paragraph?

(Still haven't gotten around to changing my email address and registering but we'll make a point of doing that this weekend.)
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#881195 Mar 28, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Um... that sounds suspiciously like the truth? Well, even throwing in a few years for good luck, America is only a shade over 350 years "old" and really the America you refer to is white, European America rather than the one that existed for 20,000+ years before Doofus and Isaac decided they could make a quick buck easier overseas. New America Scmoo America, it's not "old" enough to really even be listed in the phone book of history.
"Religion" and military invasion have always gone hand in hand, however. The military has never been else (until now) than the enforcement arm of "da church." Or, in the current context, religion offers idiot members of the military justification and absolution - if God told us to do it then how bad could it be?
The problem with dismembering the "churches" is that they have an armed escort. It's like if Xavier Hollander had hung out with Al Capone back in the day.
But there's another player in the mix these days, at least he's playing a bigger role than he did previously, and that's "business and capital." Yes, those crazy kids saw a chance to privatize the military and they wasted no time going for it. Now, in order to place checks on greedy pricks and pizza salesmen (or the military) you have to thread a maze of armed morons screaming, "That's un-American!" or, "That's un-patriotic." Yeah those are the guys you've gotta keep an eye on, those're the modern day thugs, or priests as they used to be called. They love their country so much they bank in Aruba and Cyprus.
But on the whole, your post appeals to me. I like it.
All the crooks and tax cheats are busily trying to find a new place to put their ill gotten gains; Malta? I know someone who just moved to Malta to start an offshore onling gambling site; he's making money like rain.
carol

Orlando, FL

#881196 Mar 28, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should it matter to anyone if someone wants to have more than one wife or husband; which, is interesting, have any women had multiple husbands?
If people are consenting adults, why shouldn't cousins or other relatives be allowed to marry? In royal bloodlines it is preferred, keep the blood clean! In Switzerland they removed the law against incestous marriage. Why does anyone care what others do anyway? Why does marriage have to be defined by the rightwing Christians? Why don't you mind your own business?
Wow...and I mean wow.
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#881197 Mar 28, 2013
These were the very weeks during which newly elected President Obama, a one-time proponent of single payer who had promised that every reasonable solution to the the nation's health care crisis would be considered, a time during which the White House did everything it could to keep any mention of single payer health care off the table. As a candidate for Senate from Illinois, Obama had declared himself for single payer health care. But soon afterward Senator Obama had embraced what Massachusetts residents called Romneycare, after their then-governor Mitt Romney, who simply required every Massachusetts resident to purchase a private health insurance policy, made some policies available through a state “exchange”, and levied a tax on anyone without private health insurance. Nowadays “Romneycare” is called “Obamacare.” Go figger.

The emphasis on highlighting disparities as an end, rather than examining and comparing solutions proved useful to the White House, which defended Obamacare on the grounds that it would extend private insurance and Medicaid to some large number of new persons and thereby allegedly reduce the disparities. The coming of austerity and the fine print of course may keep it from doing even that, but the point here is that our black political class has adopted a methodology under which the hunt for and discovery of racism in every act of public policy and some other places too has become an industry, separate and absolutely divorced from any attempts to examine, let alone change the public policy.

So we hear the mayor of Chicago, in keeping with Obama's Race To The Top policies of educational privatization, wants to close 50-some Chicago public schools, mostly in black and brown neighborhoods. Is it racist? Sure. What does that tell us? Half the black people in Michigan have had local government taken from them to divert their taxes straight to banksters and privatize their public assets. Is that racist too? OK, what then?

The “what then” answer provided by our black political class is well ---- nothing. Register to vote, maybe, elect more folks, patronize black businesses or something. It's politically bankrupt. The never-ending, and always fruitful search for racism, and racial disparities has become an industry in and of itself, because it's all our black political class can offer, without questioning capitalism itself. And that is something they can't bring themselves to do.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#881198 Mar 28, 2013
Dale Peterson, Gun-Waving Alabama GOP Candidate, Charged With Shoplifting Again

"WASHINGTON -- Dale Peterson, an Alabama Republican state official famous for flaunting his rifle in campaign ads promising to be tough on crime, was arrested Wednesday and charged with shoplifting a can of cashews. The arrest, first reported by Yellowhammer.com , marked the second time in six months that Peterson has been accused of stealing.

His new arrest occurred at a Sam's Club, where police said employees watched Peterson eat a can of cashews in the store, then place the empty can back on a shelf. Store security guards confronted Peterson on his way out. He was released from custody after posting $1,000 bond.

Peterson was charged in October with stealing paper towels and beer from a Walmart. Employees said he pushed his way through the checkout line without paying for the items in his cart, according to police. Peterson later said the incident was "a mistake."

Peterson's arrests are noteworthy in part because he made national news in 2010 for his tough-talking stance on crime during an unsuccessful run for Alabama agriculture commissioner. In a campaign ad that quickly went viral, Peterson suggested his opponents were "thugs and criminals," and accused them of "stealing yard signs in the dark," and "bragging about receiving illegal money on Facebook."

----------

More proof of the insanity of GOPigs!!
carol

Orlando, FL

#881199 Mar 28, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I detect a little Hillarybonics in your tone?
I suppose seeing talent in a past president kinda throws a wet blanket over this one. What can he do, bounce a ball, hit a ball, and host a ball. Wow.
Never stopped you before. Just go ahead and read it in there like you do with everything else, cracker-barrel.
STILL HOPE- FOR CHANGE

Bronx, NY

#881200 Mar 28, 2013
ALL STILL HAPPENING UNDER THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT,Is it New?

Prisons are certainly not new, and the employment of prisons to enforce a racially unjust social order isn't new either. The post-civil war Black Codes prescribed heavy penalities for all sorts of infractions by African Americans. But the scale of the modern US prison state simply has no precedent. Nobody has ever locked up this many people for as little, for as long. Whatever you want to call the present situation with prisons, prisoners and US society, you have to call it something brand new.

Is it Jim Crow?

Not exactly.

Michelle Alexander's 2010 book, The New Jim Crow, was a breakthrough in many ways. It came at a time when just about every African American family knew there was a crisis, when the shadow of prison literally squatted in the homes of hundreds of thousands, but when the black political class --- the gaggle of preachers, politicians and business types we imagine to be our “leaders” lacked even the language to discuss it, apart from tropes inherited from the jailers themselves, like “personal responsibility”, and “do the crime, do the time.”

Describing the prison state as a “New Jim Crow” played to the imagined history of the current black political class, which never stops celebrating the fifties and sixties victories over the old Jim Crow which made its birth possible, and which incorrectly advertises itself as the author of those victories, rather than the after-the-fact beneficiaries of them. In truth, the struggle against Jim Crow wasn't conducted by black politicians because there weren't many of them, especially in the South. Some black business people supported that struggle but they didn't lead it either, and most black preachers stood aside as well. The cutting edge that broke Jim Crow and carried out the final wave of organizing in the South which resulted in the Voting Rights Act were black youth.

“New Jim Crow” also absolved the black political class, at least initially, from responsibility
carol

Orlando, FL

#881201 Mar 28, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruce Bartlett:
Almost immediately upon enactment of the 1981 tax cut, Reagan came under enormous pressure to do something about the federal budget deficit. While his preferred approach was to cut spending as much as necessary, it was not politically possible to so. His aides began pressuring him to support a tax increase. Conservative activists were appalled that Reagan would even consider such a thing, but he eventually endorsed the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982. According to a Treasury Department analysis, it raised taxes by close to one percent of GDP, equivalent to $150 billion per year today, and was probably the largest peacetime tax increase in American history.
This was just the first of many tax increases that President Reagan endorsed and signed into law. There were 11 major tax increases during his administration. And this doesn’t count the fact that Reagan intentionally delayed the start of tax indexing, which was part of the 1981 tax bill, until 1985 so as to capture a lot of anticipated bracket-creep for the Treasury. In fact, it was the failure of inflation to come in as fast as White House economists expected that created much of the deficit problem. I estimate that lower than expected inflation and the loss of bracket creep was responsible for about half the budget deficit in 1981 and 1982. It’s also worth noting that the Tax Reform Act of 1986, which was revenue-neutral in the long run, was a fairly substantial revenue-raiser its first year, increasing taxes by $18.6 billion or 0.41 percent of GDP.
According to a table in Reagan’s last budget (FY 1990), the cumulative legislated tax increase during his administration came to $132.7 billion as of 1988 ($367 billion today). This compared to a gross tax cut of $275.1 billion. Thus Reagan took back about half the 1981 tax cut with subsequent tax increases.
As with his California tax increases, Reagan had little to say about them afterwards. In his diary, he says only that the 1982 TEFRA bill “is the price we have to pay to get the budget cuts.” He later tried to repudiate his consistent support for tax increases after 1981. But it’s clear that getting control of the deficit in the 1980s required both spending cuts and higher revenues.
In the end, Reagan’s tax legacy fits neither the right-wing nor left-wing pigeonholes. Although he cut taxes when he could, he raised them when he had to. That’s something self-styled Reaganites today should remember.
http://capitalgainsandgames.com/blog/bruce-ba...
If you scroll down to see the comments made about this blog, someone said this:

"So what your chart points out is that while Reagan made $132.7 billion in tax increases, he also made $275.3 billion in tax cuts, or a net reduction of $142.6 billion dollars over his 2 terms in office, and reduced the size of government excess during a period of time in which the country was in an economic recession, to successfully bring it back to become the longest and strongest economy in decades.

And you are comparing that achievement to Obama spending trillions in his first year in office. So your point is?"

That's my question too. Your point is?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#881202 Mar 28, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Can't you just shoot em? Don't you have that stand your ground law in Florida?
In PA you better be packing and prepare to fire if you come on to my property unannounced, I'll make up some bullshit story later after they find the bodies.
Yeah, you'd think the Beware of Killer Dog would scare 'em off, nope. I don't have a gun. Maybe I'll get a squirt gun and squirt them next time!! While singing Yes Jesus Loves Me!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#881204 Mar 28, 2013
Gun Violence Costs U.S. Health Care System, Taxpayers Billions Each Year

"The bullet exploded like a fragment from the past, piercing his present and laying waste to the future he envisioned. It tore through Jerome Graham’s back, wrecked his spleen, damaged his pancreas and kidney, and left him paralyzed from the waist down.

And while the direct medical consequences of that gunshot fired a year ago in East Baltimore end there, the full force of its destruction has reverberated more broadly, encompassing Graham’s friends, his family, his community. It has carried into the American health care system, while confronting American taxpayers with costs reaching hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Before he was shot last year, Graham, 33, supported his wife and three children by working as an electrician. Barring a medical miracle, he will never walk again, greatly complicating his ability to earn a paycheck. Since the shot went through his body, he and his family have come to rely on government programs like Medicaid, Social Security and subsidized housing.

In the American conversation, discussion of gun-related violence generally centers on the tragic loss of life or permanent injuries that result. But beneath these headline-grabbing, life-shattering facts are costs measured in vast numbers of dollars.

Firearms-related deaths cost the U.S. health care system and economy $37 billion in 2005, the most recent year for which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention attempted an estimate. The cost of those who survive gun violence came to another $3.7 billion that year, according to the CDC."
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#881206 Mar 28, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
Dale Peterson, Gun-Waving Alabama GOP Candidate, Charged With Shoplifting Again
"WASHINGTON -- Dale Peterson, an Alabama Republican state official famous for flaunting his rifle in campaign ads promising to be tough on crime, was arrested Wednesday and charged with shoplifting a can of cashews. The arrest, first reported by Yellowhammer.com , marked the second time in six months that Peterson has been accused of stealing.
His new arrest occurred at a Sam's Club, where police said employees watched Peterson eat a can of cashews in the store, then place the empty can back on a shelf. Store security guards confronted Peterson on his way out. He was released from custody after posting $1,000 bond.
Peterson was charged in October with stealing paper towels and beer from a Walmart. Employees said he pushed his way through the checkout line without paying for the items in his cart, according to police. Peterson later said the incident was "a mistake."
Peterson's arrests are noteworthy in part because he made national news in 2010 for his tough-talking stance on crime during an unsuccessful run for Alabama agriculture commissioner. In a campaign ad that quickly went viral, Peterson suggested his opponents were "thugs and criminals," and accused them of "stealing yard signs in the dark," and "bragging about receiving illegal money on Facebook."
----------
More proof of the insanity of GOPigs!!
He's saying it's a conspiracy! It's Alabama, what can you expect, didn't they just outlaw slavery?
lily waxman raton fl

Pompano Beach, FL

#881208 Mar 28, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I can see why you would see it as talent. What hillbilly righwinger has any concept of art anyway?
Don't worry, when President Obama is no longer the President, he will be the most sought after speaker in the world, just like Bill Clinton.
While Bush keeps painting his juvenile self nudes at his whites only hamlet in Texas!!! Hell, they didn't even want him or his father at the convention!!! What a disgrace.
lily's ugly, vile, racist self emerges from its alcoholic stupor to vomit more words of her disgusting hatred
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#881209 Mar 28, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...and I mean wow.
Carol never heard of the Royals or bloodlines! Did you have a brain injury?
carol

Orlando, FL

#881210 Mar 28, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...and I mean wow.
carol, this is your conscience speaking... I can sense you're on the verge of saying something stupid and I want you to take a deep breath and get it under control.... You don't want to play right into their hands, dear... if you say something like, "It's a scientific fact..." and then go on about genetics or inbreeding you'll just be opening yourself up to the whole, "Well, then, so if inbreeding is a net-negative, how about global warming?" Don't do it, girl... get your critical thinking cap on.... no, not that one, the foil one....
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#881211 Mar 28, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
Gun Violence Costs U.S. Health Care System, Taxpayers Billions Each Year
"The bullet exploded like a fragment from the past, piercing his present and laying waste to the future he envisioned. It tore through Jerome Graham’s back, wrecked his spleen, damaged his pancreas and kidney, and left him paralyzed from the waist down.
And while the direct medical consequences of that gunshot fired a year ago in East Baltimore end there, the full force of its destruction has reverberated more broadly, encompassing Graham’s friends, his family, his community. It has carried into the American health care system, while confronting American taxpayers with costs reaching hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Before he was shot last year, Graham, 33, supported his wife and three children by working as an electrician. Barring a medical miracle, he will never walk again, greatly complicating his ability to earn a paycheck. Since the shot went through his body, he and his family have come to rely on government programs like Medicaid, Social Security and subsidized housing.
In the American conversation, discussion of gun-related violence generally centers on the tragic loss of life or permanent injuries that result. But beneath these headline-grabbing, life-shattering facts are costs measured in vast numbers of dollars.
Firearms-related deaths cost the U.S. health care system and economy $37 billion in 2005, the most recent year for which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention attempted an estimate. The cost of those who survive gun violence came to another $3.7 billion that year, according to the CDC."
People can't get past the headlines and then they yearn for the next story; yet all those lives are ruined forever; most gun deaths are the result of suicide by a gun in the home. No one talks about it.
That Adam Lanzas mother had to have been out of her mind keeping all those guns with a son like that; it's not as if she didn't know he was totally nuts. I hope those families sue her estate and his father for every single cent they have.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#881212 Mar 28, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not, but now what are you gonna do all day Sunday?
I certainly won't be spending unlimited tax payer dollars at the most lavish resort in the Bahamas with the Oblamer girls.
Leading by example,I guess?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Jacques in Orleans 187,696
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 46 min Patriot AKA Bozo 52,969
The "DIGGER". 53 min TheyR DyingFast 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 59 min Cold Front 69,741
Word (Dec '08) 7 hr Moon Rhythm 5,207
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 11 hr texas pete 5,943
Chicago Flash Mobs; As dangerous and lethal as ... (Sep '13) 14 hr Go Blue Forever 74
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 19 hr textify 99,409
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]