Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

Since: May 11

Aspers, PA

#879905 Mar 26, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> I've owned a few businesses. I managed a few also. You are a clueless twit.
This in the internet.

There is no way you ran a successful company with employees. None.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#879906 Mar 26, 2013
Many employers believe that one of the best ways to raise their profit margin is to cut labor costs. But companies like QuikTrip, the grocery-store chain Trader Joe's, and Costco Wholesale are proving that the decision to offer low wages is a choice, not an economic necessity. All three are low-cost retailers, a sector that is traditionally known for relying on part-time, low-paid employees. Yet these companies have all found that the act of valuing workers can pay off in the form of increased sales and productivity.

"Retailers start with this philosophy of seeing employees as a cost to be minimized," says Zeynep Ton of MIT's Sloan School of Management. That can lead businesses into a vicious cycle. Underinvestment in workers can result in operational problems in stores, which decrease sales. And low sales often lead companies to slash labor costs even further. Middle-income jobs have declined recently as a share of total employment, as many employers have turned full-time jobs into part-time positions with no benefits and unpredictable schedules.

QuikTrip, Trader Joe's, and Costco operate on a different model, Ton says. "They start with the mentality of seeing employees as assets to be maximized," she says. As a result, their stores boast better operational efficiency and customer service, and those result in better sales. QuikTrip sales per labor hour are two-thirds higher than the average convenience-store chain, Ton found, and sales per square foot are over 50 percent higher.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2...

Aspers, PA

#879907 Mar 26, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> The study was done by the Employment Policies Institute, a free market think tank specializing in wage issues. Take it up with them.
"free market"? Its run by a lobbyist.

No, I'm taking it up with you. You posted it as YOUR argument against a higher minimum wage.

I see you are duped by all these tilted think tanks because their name sounds official. No wonder you're so uninformed.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#879908 Mar 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
The Trader Joe's Lesson: How to Pay a Living Wage and Still Make Money in Retail
Companies that invest in higher salaries for low-level employees find success in a competitive market
The average American cashier makes $20,230 a year, a salary that in a single-earner household would leave a family of four living under the poverty line. But if he works the cash registers at QuikTrip, it's an entirely different story. The convenience-store and gas-station chain offers entry-level employees an annual salary of around $40,000, plus benefits. Those high wages didn't stop QuikTrip from prospering in a hostile economic climate. While other low-cost retailers spent the recession laying off staff and shuttering stores, QuikTrip expanded to its current 645 locations across 11 states.
from your article.

Trader Joe's streamlines operations by offering a limited number of products and very few sales promotions. Costco stacks products on pallets, as warehouses would. And the QuikTrip model requires investors to have the fortitude to accept possible short-termed drops in profit.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#879909 Mar 26, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> from your article.
Trader Joe's streamlines operations by offering a limited number of products and very few sales promotions. Costco stacks products on pallets, as warehouses would. And the QuikTrip model requires investors to have the fortitude to accept possible short-termed drops in profit.
and this....

To see what happens when workers are devalued, look no further than Borders or Circuit City. Both big-box retailers saw sales plummet after staff cutbacks, and both ultimately went bankrupt.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#879910 Mar 26, 2013
There are also trade-offs to investing in employees. Businesses that spend more on their workers have to cut costs elsewhere. Trader Joe's streamlines operations by offering a limited number of products and very few sale promotions. Costco stocks products on pallets, as a warehouse would. And the QuikTrip model requires investors to have the fortitude to accept possible short-term drops in profits. "You have to take a loss for a little bit," says Maureen Conway, executive director of the Economic Opportunities Program at the Aspen Institute. "You have to pay above market. You have to change how you do business."

At the upper echelons of the American workforce, salaries have soared. Companies are accustomed to thinking of their highest-level employees as "talent," and fighting to hire and reward people who will help grow the company. Now Trader Joe's and QuikTrip are proving that lower-level employees can be assets whose skills improve the bottom-line as well.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#879911 Mar 26, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
"free market"? Its run by a lobbyist.
No, I'm taking it up with you. You posted it as YOUR argument against a higher minimum wage.
I see you are duped by all these tilted think tanks because their name sounds official. No wonder you're so uninformed.
Look it's really simple math and I really don't care to argue with you about it. If I have a labor cost of $35 an hour for my 3 employees and the minimum wage goes up $2.85 1 person is getting laid off. No way around it. Simple math.

Raising the minimum wage is about two things. Union wages and increased taxes.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#879912 Mar 26, 2013
WaxmanIdiot wrote:
<quoted text> AND YOU AND YOUR PARTY OF CLOWNS LOST THE ELECTION, STAY IGNORANT AND DEFEATED YOU DUMBFKK! YOU DESERVED WHAT YOU'VE GOT.
yep, like ObamaCare. i personally can't wait :) to hear the obots complain. at least the ones who aren't handed everything for FREE.

'Democrats hope to retake the House of Representatives in next year’s elections. They won’t — and they’ll have themselves to blame, because 2014 is when ObamaCare kicks in.

With a vengeance.

The authors of the Obama health law postponed the pain until AFTER the 2012 election. Some popular provisions went into effect immediately, such as allowing children to stay on their parent’s plan until age 26. And the White House granted 1,472 WAIVERS to various companies and unions, exempting them from insurance reforms so they wouldn’t drop coverage for employees and members BEFORE the presidential contest.

Yet a majority of voters on Election Day still opposed the health law (though, obviously, it wasn’t the deciding issue in the presidential race). And opinion will only sour more as the law takes full force starting in January.

People in their 20s and 30s will be clobbered — their health-insurance premiums will double (or more), insurers report. Nineteen percent of the president’s 2012 voters came from this age group. The biggest problem: The Obama law forces insurers to charge young, healthy people more to cover the cost of insuring the middle-aged and those with pre-existing conditions.

Read more: Disaster for Dems - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolu...

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#879913 Mar 26, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
This in the internet.
Sorry you are so incompetent. I ran my businesses. I even ran businesses while running other people's businesses. I retired at fifty with not a care in the world. Sorry about your luck.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#879914 Mar 26, 2013
The Promise of More: Why We Should Raise the Minimum Wage

How have we gotten to a place where people can work tirelessly and still not make ends meet? In large part it’s the result of political ambivalence to the conditions of poverty and the wages of our lowest paid workers. As the minimum wage has remained flat, productivity has increased, and so too have corporate profits. If the minimum wage of the 1960s had increased with productivity, it would stand at around $15/hour. If it increased with inflation, it would be more than $10/hour.

While the economic arguments for raising the minimum wage are important, we should also not forget to think about the morality of our economy. We all derive not just wages from our labors, but purpose, meaning and a sense that we are part of something greater than ourselves: by supporting our family, helping our co-workers, and participating in the shared enterprise of community. Yes, the minimum wage should be higher. But it’s not just because it’s good for the economy and will help raise the wages of even non-minimum wage workers. It’s because there is a value to work that is deeper than money. And we cheapen that value if at the end of working a long day, our fellow Americans still live in poverty, with little hope of escape, and no promise of just a little bit more next year.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2013/02/21/the-promise-...
Forum

Hobbs, NM

#879915 Mar 26, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
This in the internet.
Is it just a joke that a man wants to marry another
man or a woman wants to marry another woman?

Or is it just dumb.

They should be forced to get mental help.
Letting them near children is wrong.
They are ill.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#879916 Mar 26, 2013
what they voted for...more cope and cringe.

the law’s mandatory benefits package and its billions in new taxes on insurers will drive up costs enough that overall premiums for a family of five will start at $20,000 (before subsidies, if any). Oh — and that doesn’t count the penalty for each smoker, roughly $3,000 a head.

(Subsidies may help some people cover sky-high premiums, though not the smoking penalty — but the letter of the law makes those subsidies unavailable in many states. The federal courts will eventually decide the issue.)

Many workers in industries such as retail, hospitality and home care will lose on-the-job health coverage, forecasts the ADP Research Institute — and many will also be demoted to part-time status because of ObamaCare.

Why? The president’s health law mandates that all employers with 50 or more full-time workers provide its “essential benefit package” if they offer insurance — and that package costs about twice what these industries now offer.

Many employers will drop coverage, and pay the (smaller) fine; others will try to avoid that 50-employee limit by using more people part-time.

Even the government’s actuaries admit fewer people will get coverage at work after the employer mandate goes into effect than if the law had not passed.

Read more: Disaster for Dems - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolu...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#879917 Mar 26, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Look it's really simple math and I really don't care to argue with you about it. If I have a labor cost of $35 an hour for my 3 employees and the minimum wage goes up $2.85 1 person is getting laid off. No way around it. Simple math.
Raising the minimum wage is about two things. Union wages and increased taxes.

union wages and increased taxes?

prove it. without a conservative think tank that's supported by big business.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#879918 Mar 26, 2013
likely to be the most popular phrase in America in 2014:
"whodidyavotefor?"

The IRS and the Department of Health and Human Services are now rolling out thousands of new regulations to implement ObamaCare — and employers are franticly trying to learn what “affordable” coverage and “full time” worker mean and what compliance will cost. The latest surprise, from HHS, is a$65-a-year fee employers must pay for each employee or dependent they insure.

Seniors needing hospital care will be shocked at cutbacks. Section 3000A of the law awards bonus points to the hospitals that spend the least per senior. Hospitals are even whacked for what Medicare patients consume in the 30 days after discharge, including physical therapy.

Hospital patients of all ages will wait longer for a nurse. Cuts to Medicare pay for over half the law, and this will mean $247 billion less for hospitals over the next decade; the layoffs are already starting.

Other chaos will abound. Consumers trying to get their insurance from a state exchange will have to hand their Social Security Number and 15 pages of financial and family information to exchange “assisters”— temps often hired from community groups. In California, civil-rights activists are fighting to prevent background checks for would-be “assisters” because it would disqualify too many minority men with prior convictions.

Since only Democrats voted to impose ObamaCare on America, there’s no question who voters will blame for this colossal mess. The chances for a new Pelosi speakership are minuscule; we’re more likely to see Republicans win control of the Senate.

The GOP only needs to pick up six Senate seats to do that — and three seats the Republicans will target are in Iowa, Virginia, and Arkansas — the states set to be hit with the highest premium increases in the individual market.

Of course, all that may not be enough to repeal ObamaCare — it may take a few more elections before the will of the people prevails. But the system the Obama health law sets up is so dysfunctional, there’s an excellent chance voters will persevere until they get their way.

It’s not over til it’s over.

Forum

Hobbs, NM

#879919 Mar 26, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>while FDR rounded up Japanese Americans and put them in camps. definitely liberal.
So what is God going to do with us?

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#879920 Mar 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
union wages and increased taxes?
prove it. without a conservative think tank that's supported by big business.
Are you two realy that clueless? I don't need a stupid think tank to tell me that. That's you're program. Most union wages ate tied to the minimum wage by contract. You increase the wage the taxes withheld go up including the (laugh) employers share.
WaxmanIdiot

El Monte, CA

#879921 Mar 26, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>yep, like ObamaCare. i personally can't wait :) to hear the obots complain. at least the ones who aren't handed everything for FREE.
'Democrats hope to retake the House of Representatives in next year’s elections. They won’t — and they’ll have themselves to blame, because 2014 is when ObamaCare kicks in.
With a vengeance.
The authors of the Obama health law postponed the pain until AFTER the 2012 election. Some popular provisions went into effect immediately, such as allowing children to stay on their parent’s plan until age 26. And the White House granted 1,472 WAIVERS to various companies and unions, exempting them from insurance reforms so they wouldn’t drop coverage for employees and members BEFORE the presidential contest.
Yet a majority of voters on Election Day still opposed the health law (though, obviously, it wasn’t the deciding issue in the presidential race). And opinion will only sour more as the law takes full force starting in January.
People in their 20s and 30s will be clobbered — their health-insurance premiums will double (or more), insurers report. Nineteen percent of the president’s 2012 voters came from this age group. The biggest problem: The Obama law forces insurers to charge young, healthy people more to cover the cost of insuring the middle-aged and those with pre-existing conditions.
i don't waste my time reading links posted by fox, jane says she lost the election because of her stupidity.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#879922 Mar 26, 2013
Oh by the way if you smoke you better plan on a second job to pay your health care costs. Seems if you smoke you don't get the 'tax credit'. You people really are clueless.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#879923 Mar 26, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Are you two realy that clueless? I don't need a stupid think tank to tell me that. That's you're program. Most union wages ate tied to the minimum wage by contract. You increase the wage the taxes withheld go up including the (laugh) employers share.
that's your program?

you're a lost cause.

the right wing media has sold you clueless folks a bill of goods that you can't back up. and you call liberals stupid.

Aspers, PA

#879924 Mar 26, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry you are so incompetent. I ran my businesses. I even ran businesses while running other people's businesses. I retired at fifty with not a care in the world. Sorry about your luck.
Milk just flew out of my nose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 55 min PEllen 98,504
amy 1-25 1 hr PEllen 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 70,103
abby 10-25 1 hr PEllen 1
Man fatally stabbed, 8 other people shot in Thu... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 1 hr Swedenforever 54,525
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr scirocco 68,668
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr jacques Ottawa 179,459
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]