Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#879384 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"All" is a bit extreme. I know of one that doesn't pass a collection plate or solicit donations.
Maybe my literary license should be suspended for exaggeration.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#879386 Mar 24, 2013
carol wrote:
Let's not be too quick to forget the words from the poster child for Obama's brand of liberalism, Bill Maher.
"ln California, I just want to say: Liberals -- you could actually lose me" complaining that his taxes are already "over 50%" and made an astonishing observation: "Rich people...actually do pay the freight in this country...like 70% of the taxes." (The top 10% of taxpayers pay about 70.5% of the federal income taxes.)
These poor liberals. If they weren't so unbelievably and dangerously clueless, you'd almost feel sorry for them.
Just two years ago, Maher painted a picture of the filthy, clueless, racist, sexist, homophobic, selfish, greedy rich making sure he added, "Let me put that in terms that even you fat-ass tea-baggers can understand..."
The "Taxed Enough Already" Party?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/201...
Crime in royal Italy. Wonder if Maher wants Obama to give him his money back now.
I've always thought Maher was funny, and often insightful....but I have to say, I lost any respect I had for the man with this glaring hypocrisy. Probably will now remove him from my DVR.

Bummer.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#879387 Mar 24, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"Floozy?" lol
You think like my grammy.
Not that it's a "bad thing" to do.
tawdry, sexually promiscuous, bawdy, cocotte, hooker, harlot....

free candy.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#879388 Mar 24, 2013
The Obama Era, Brought to You by the Iraq War

....But Obama didn’t just benefit from the zeal that entered the Democratic Party through the antiwar movement; he also benefited from the domestic policy vacuum left by Bush’s Iraq-ruined second term. The Bush White House’s “compassionate conservatism” was the last major Republican attempt to claim the political center — to balance traditional conservative goals on taxes and entitlement reform with more bipartisan appeals on education, health care, immigration and poverty. And as long as the Republican Party was successfully hovering near the middle, the Democrats had to hover there as well.

But once Bush’s foreign policy credibility collapsed, his domestic political capital collapsed as well: moderates stopped working with him, conservatives rebelled, and the White House’s planned second-term agenda — Social Security reform, tax and health care reform, immigration overhaul — never happened.

This collapse, and the Republican Party’s failure to recover from it, enabled the Democrats to not only seize the center but push it leftward, and advance far bolder proposals than either Al Gore or John Kerry had dared to offer. The Iraq war didn’t just make Obama possible — it made Obamacare possible as well.

Nor is it a coincidence that these liberal policy victories have been accompanied by liberal gains in the culture wars. True, there’s no necessary connection between the Bush administration’s Iraq floundering and, say, the right’s setbacks in the gay-marriage debate. But cultural change is a complicated thing, built on narratives and symbols and intuitive leaps.

As The American Conservative’s Dan McCarthy noted in a shrewd essay, the Vietnam War helped entrench a narrative in which liberal social movements were associated with defeat in Indochina — and this association didn’t have to be perfectly fair to be politically and culturally potent.

In a similar way, even though Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney weren’t culture warriors or evangelical Christians, in the popular imagination their legacy of incompetence has become a reason to reject social conservatism as well. Just as the post-Vietnam Democrats came to be regarded as incompetent, wimpy and dangerously radical all at once, since 2004 the Bush administration’s blunders — the missing W.M.D., the botched occupation — have been woven into a larger story about Youth and Science and Reason and Diversity triumphing over Old White Male Faith-Based Cluelessness.

Of all the Iraq war’s consequences for our politics, it’s this narrative that may be the war’s most lasting legacy, and the most difficult for conservatives to overcome.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/opinion/sun...

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#879390 Mar 24, 2013
carol wrote:
So, um, it's ok to kill 600,000 Iraqis but not ok to kill a few Jews? Who came up with that calculus? A businessman no doubt. This isn't going to work, kids. One man is as good as another... unless there's a racial implication. Is there? Hmmmmmm?
"600,000"....I guess if you're going to lie, it might as well be a whopper. No matter, when your ideal of manhood is a fellow liberal, I can see where you're coming from.
LRS

Shreveport, LA

#879391 Mar 24, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon, bonehead, go take care of your "man" and let the boys play. You ignorant slut.
Damn, you are the charmer, aren't you?

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#879392 Mar 24, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon, bonehead, go take care of your "man" and let the boys play. You ignorant slut.
Oh good grief - are you Dan Aykroyd now too?

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#879393 Mar 24, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
A condition of employment is not a bribe.
Sure it is. It's just a legal one.

It's legal to offer it, take it, and bitch about it.

'Murica!!!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#879394 Mar 24, 2013

Mayor Bloomerberg Takes His Guns to Gun-free Bermuda

Do as Hizzoner says, Not as He Does

HAMILTON, Bermuda — At Greg’s Steakhouse, the power lunch spot on this sun-soaked island, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is such a regular that he has his own booth, with a view of the Parliament building. The waiters have memorized his order: coffee-rubbed New York strip steak.

The cabdrivers in Bermuda know Mr. Bloomberg by sight and jockey for a chance to drive him around town.(The billionaire mayor, they say, tips well.)

Members of the Mid Ocean golf club, where he plays up to two rounds a day, can rattle off the strengths and weaknesses of his game.

“He’s a bit slow, to be honest,” said one of them, who found himself stuck behind the mayor’s foursome recently.

Mr. Bloomberg, who owns a waterfront estate here, has walled off his life in Bermuda from voters in New York, arguing it is none of their business. He steadfastly refuses to say when he is on the island, and to blindfold prying eyes, he has blocked aviation Web sites from making public the movements of his private planes.

The mayor also takes along a police detail when he travels, flying two officers on his private plane and paying as much as $400 a night to put them up at a hotel near his house; the city pays their wages while they are there, as it does whether Mr. Bloomberg is New York or not. Guns are largely forbidden in Bermuda — even most police officers do not use them — but the mayor’s guards have special permission to carry weapons. A spokesman for the Police Department declined to comment.

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#879395 Mar 24, 2013
As VP, Biden Has Been Flying To Delaware on the Weekends

by Keith Koffler on March 23, 2013, 11:38 am

Vice President Biden has been flying home to Wilmington, Delaware most weekends at enormous expense to taxpayers, even though he has an exclusive government-provided residence in Washington.

Biden himself acknowledged the flights during recent remarks to the National Association of Attorneys General, noting that the sequester would force him to temporarily alter his expensive habit and use the train instead.

According to reports, Biden generally uses Air Force Two to get to Wilmington.

The cost of flying Air Force Two, a military version of the Boeing 757-200, amounts to about $8,800 per hour, according to the most recent federal data.

The distance between Washington and Wilmington is only about a hundred miles, but it’s safe to assume that between flying time and the time spent on the takeoff and landing, the total flight takes at least 45 minutes. That would amount to a roundtrip cost to taxpayers of about $13,200.

This price still is conservative, though, because it doesn’t include the cost of transporting Biden to and from the plane, both in Washington and Delaware.

Biden, who rode Amtrak trains back and forth to Wilmington on weekends for years as a senator, said he was forced by the Secret Service to use air transport instead of the train when he became vice president. But it’s not at all clear why, given that he no longer represents Delaware, he must return there so frequently.

Biden has family in Delaware and reportedly also likes to golf at an exclusive club there. But in an era of soaring debt, he had been making a choice to spend thousands of taxpayers dollars to accomodate a personal predilection.

Millions of American work in cities that they don’t call home, but few can afford the expense of returning to their ancestral grounds regularly.

And none can rest their heads on pillows at the beautiful vice president’s mansion at the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington.

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#879396 Mar 24, 2013
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>I've always thought Maher was funny, and often insightful....but I have to say, I lost any respect I had for the man with this glaring hypocrisy. Probably will now remove him from my DVR.
Bummer.
Yeah, well, you can use the money you save to buy hubby some .223 rounds for his manly pursuits, you dumb slut.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#879397 Mar 24, 2013
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>I've always thought Maher was funny, and often insightful....but I have to say, I lost any respect I had for the man with this glaring hypocrisy. Probably will now remove him from my DVR.
Bummer.
Even liberals have a limit on how much they are willing to pay in taxes.

More of this will happen as Obamacare explodes the tax rates.

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#879398 Mar 24, 2013
John Galt wrote:
Mayor Bloomerberg Takes His Guns to Gun-free Bermuda
Do as Hizzoner says, Not as He Does
HAMILTON, Bermuda — At Greg’s Steakhouse, the power lunch spot on this sun-soaked island, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is such a regular that he has his own booth, with a view of the Parliament building. The waiters have memorized his order: coffee-rubbed New York strip steak.
The cabdrivers in Bermuda know Mr. Bloomberg by sight and jockey for a chance to drive him around town.(The billionaire mayor, they say, tips well.)
Members of the Mid Ocean golf club, where he plays up to two rounds a day, can rattle off the strengths and weaknesses of his game.
“He’s a bit slow, to be honest,” said one of them, who found himself stuck behind the mayor’s foursome recently.
Mr. Bloomberg, who owns a waterfront estate here, has walled off his life in Bermuda from voters in New York, arguing it is none of their business. He steadfastly refuses to say when he is on the island, and to blindfold prying eyes, he has blocked aviation Web sites from making public the movements of his private planes.
The mayor also takes along a police detail when he travels, flying two officers on his private plane and paying as much as $400 a night to put them up at a hotel near his house; the city pays their wages while they are there, as it does whether Mr. Bloomberg is New York or not. Guns are largely forbidden in Bermuda — even most police officers do not use them — but the mayor’s guards have special permission to carry weapons. A spokesman for the Police Department declined to comment.
But does he also drink 64oz sodas while in Bermuda?
carol

Orlando, FL

#879399 Mar 24, 2013
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>I've always thought Maher was funny, and often insightful....but I have to say, I lost any respect I had for the man with this glaring hypocrisy. Probably will now remove him from my DVR.
Bummer.
I used to watch his show, Politically Incorrect, all the time which was mainly satire with four guests from all backgrounds talking about the issues of the day - which in comparison to today's headlines seemed rather tame.

But then he went over the deep end and lost me too.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#879400 Mar 24, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, well, you can use the money you save to buy hubby some .223 rounds for his manly pursuits, you dumb slut.
Climb back into the bottle with lily and cork it, Dood.
carol

Orlando, FL

#879401 Mar 24, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama's grand initiative is based on the naive assumption that the Palestinian leadership wants peace....about as much as the Democratic leadership wanted peace during the civil rights movement of the 60's. They have a real knack for being on the wrong side of history.
Indeed...
carol

Orlando, FL

#879403 Mar 24, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Even liberals have a limit on how much they are willing to pay in taxes.
More of this will happen as Obamacare explodes the tax rates.
If we aren't still reeling over the tax increases and less take home pay in our checks since January...we ain't seen nothin' yet.
carol

Orlando, FL

#879404 Mar 24, 2013
That little boy is dead. And he's got granddad to thank for it. It's amazing how karma works out, cracker.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#879405 Mar 24, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, well, you can use the money you save to buy hubby some .223 rounds for his manly pursuits, you dumb slut.
The DVR is courtesy of DirecTV - it's a perk of my son's job, and we aren't charged for it.

But they've never tried to commandeer his vote, and he doesn't belong to a union...so that's ok.

Right?

Sheesh.
carol

Orlando, FL

#879406 Mar 24, 2013
Indeed. Reported.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 min Mister Tonka 98,539
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 min HughBe 70,142
Abby 10-30 16 min edogxxx 9
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min Rogue Scholar 05 179,650
Amy 10-30 38 min edogxxx 11
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 42 min Lawrence Wolf 50,752
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 4,814
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]