Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

Since: May 11

Aspers, PA

#876056 Mar 19, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Think again.
“Iraq does pose a serious threat to the stability of the Persian Gulf and we should organize an international coalition to eliminate his access to weapons of mass destruction. Iraq’s search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to completely deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power.”— Al Gore, 2002
Where was the invasion part?
Lincoln

United States

#876057 Mar 19, 2013
In 1974, as an elder statesman of the party, Goldwater successfully urged President Richard Nixon to resign when evidence of a cover-up in the Watergate scandal became overwhelming and impeachment was imminent. By the 1980s, the increasing influence of the Christian right on the Republican Party so conflicted with Goldwater's views that he became a vocal opponent of the religious right on issues such as abortion, gay rights and the role of religion in public life.
Contents
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#876058 Mar 19, 2013
flack wrote:
Guys name at Central Florida was Seevakumaram. What kind of name is that? Seems he didn't renew his registration was about to be removed from from the dorm. It is also apparent he had been planning this for a while. Going to check his nationality by his name. Looks middle eastern by photo.
Well, he's not white. Sounds Indian or Pakistani.
Orlando dodged a big one. He pulled a gun on his roommate who ran to the bathroom to call police.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#876060 Mar 19, 2013
carol wrote:
Gee...even if Hillary Clinton had been the president in 2002...
“In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security.”— Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002
How quickly the left forgets.
they haven't forgotten the lies they were told.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#876061 Mar 19, 2013
carol wrote:
Gee...even if Hillary Clinton had been the president in 2002...
“In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security.”— Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002
How quickly the left forgets.
Hillary would have waited for the final weapons inspectors report
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#876063 Mar 19, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
If John Kerry had been president he would not have cherry picked the intel & lied top Congress to get 40000 soldiers killed in a ware about oil.
Kerry had seen war. Kerry had seen fellow soldiers wounded & killed.
Bush / Cheney not so much. Bush called war "romantic".
Exactly. John Kerry has been on the Foreign Relations Committee for many years, has been to Iraq and Afghanistan several times; Bush had never been out of Texas.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#876064 Mar 19, 2013

Powell Admits False WMD Claim

It would be a foolish endeavor to call for this Republican Congress to mount a thorough investigation of this Republican administration. But what else is there to do in response to the comments made by Secretary of State Colin Powell this past weekend?

Appearing on Meet the Press, Powell acknowledged--finally!--that he and the Bush administration misled the nation about the WMD threat posed by Iraq before the war. Specifically, he said that he was wrong when he appeared before the UN Security Council on February 5, 2003, and alleged that Iraq had developed mobile laboratories to produce biological weapons. That was one of the more dramatic claims he and the administration used to justify the invasion of Iraq.(Remember the drawings he displayed.) Yet Powell said on MTP, "it turned our that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and in some cases, deliberately misleading." Powell did not spell it out, but the main source for this claim was an engineer linked to the Iraqi National Congress, the exile group led by Ahmed Chalabi, who is now part of the Iraqi Governing Council.

Powell noted that he was "comfortable at the time that I made the presentation it reflected the collective judgment, the sound judgment of the intelligence community." In other words, the CIA was scammed by Chalabi's outfit, and it never caught on. So who's been fired over this? After all, the nation supposedly went to war partly due to this intelligence. And partly because of this bad information over 700 Americans and countless Iraqis have lost their lives. Shouldn't someone be held accountable? Maybe CIA chief George Tenet, or his underlings who went for the bait? Or Chalabi's neocon friends and champions at the Pentagon: Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, Richard Perle? How do they feel about their pal, the great Iraqi leader, now?

For months after the invasion, George W. Bush told the public that he had based his decision to invade Iraq on "good, solid intelligence." Does he still believe that? Has anyone told him that his government was hornswoggled by Chalabi, who was once convicted of massive bank fraud in Jordan.(Since Bush has said he does not read the newspapers or pay much attention to conventional media, he may not have heard about Powell's remarks unless an aide bothered to brief him on them.) And in January, Dick Cheney said that there was "conclusive evidence" that Saddam Hussein had manufactured bioweapons labs on wheels. Is he willing to say he was wrong?

For his part, Chalabi has not shown any regret. In February, he told the London Telegraph, "we are heroes in error....As far as we're concerned, we've been entirely successful. That tyrant Saddam is gone, and the Americans are in Baghdad. What was said before is not important."

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0518-03.h...

Aspers, PA

#876065 Mar 19, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Who you calling a right winger whiner, you tree humping, tin foil pointy hat corner sitting, phat crayon wahwahwah wahwahwahwahoo.
Listen at you...wahwahwahwahwah wahhhh.... I bet you bust yer crayons up and throw them in a pile and stomp off pouting too!
Quit your whining and do something constructive-like finding a cap for volcanic ash activity to lessen depletion in the ozone layer. And the let the damn trees in the rain forests be too!
Oh please, you defend each & every Republican & right whiner posting here.

You likely a Republican who is too embarrassed to admit he voted for Bush ,like most of the pretend Independents & "Libertarians" here.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#876066 Mar 19, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
not so good.
but you should hope there's not another Newtown in the near future.
I do, I do. I pray every day that liberalism is eradicated from the landscape and that those already infected are 'dealt with' in a humane but expeditious manner.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#876067 Mar 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
In 1974, as an elder statesman of the party, Goldwater successfully urged President Richard Nixon to resign when evidence of a cover-up in the Watergate scandal became overwhelming and impeachment was imminent. By the 1980s, the increasing influence of the Christian right on the Republican Party so conflicted with Goldwater's views that he became a vocal opponent of the religious right on issues such as abortion, gay rights and the role of religion in public life.
Contents
He was absolutely correct; he said he was afraid of the preachers!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#876068 Mar 19, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
If John Kerry had been president he would not have cherry picked the intel & lied top Congress to get 40000 soldiers killed in a ware about oil.
Davey, Davey, John F'n Kerry was a coward, and proved it. Now under another coward, he serves...

Aspers, PA

#876069 Mar 19, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>Americans missed the opportunity to have someone in charge when they re-elected The Empty Suit this past November. Amnesty for criminals will ensure Obama's vision for this country's future: a non-superpower entitlement state resembling Zimbabwe with an economy like Greece and MexiBonics as the official language.
Republicans plan includes amnesty for criminals, dumbass.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#876070 Mar 19, 2013
TSM wrote:
The hypocrisy of Liberals…Bill Maher: Liberals Could 'Actually Lose Me' with Tax the Rich Mantra!! Liberals would you agree Bill is just being selfish!!
No sh!t. He thought he'd be exempted from the "fairness".
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#876073 Mar 19, 2013
Charts: Bush Lowballed Us on Iraq by $6 Trillion

—By Tasneem Raja

| Tue Mar. 19, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

Ten years later, the Bush administration's projected price tag for the war in Iraq seems downright cute. According to the first-ever comprehensive count of the true toll of the combined wars, the estimate the administration used to sell the invasion in 2003 was about 100 times too low.

So what did that $6 trillion get us, exactly? Since we borrowed to pay for much of the war, we're facing nearing $4 trillion in cumulative interest between now and 2053, according to the 30 researchers who worked on the Costs of War report for Brown University's Watson Institute for International Studies.

To date, according to the report, medical and disability claims of U.S. war veterans of Iraq have reached $84 billion; ongoing care for wounded Iraq war vets and their families is expected to require nearly $500 billion more over the next several decades. Homeland Security got $245 billion in additional funding thanks to increased threats of terror—real, imagined, and staged—over the last ten years. On-the-ground operations alone ended up being 16 times more expensive than the Bush cabinet's original estimate for the entire enterprise.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/03/chart...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#876075 Mar 19, 2013
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Davey, Davey, John F'n Kerry was a coward, and proved it. Now under another coward, he serves...
He's a war hero. gfy.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#876076 Mar 19, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
I do, I do. I pray every day that liberalism is eradicated from the landscape and that those already infected are 'dealt with' in a humane but expeditious manner.
so says the waning minority.

funny though that you imply that none would shoot back. come knock on my door with that war cry and see what you get.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#876077 Mar 19, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
you pray for mass murder, that's lovely. Did you learn that in church?
You rightwingers are anti Americans sickos.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#876078 Mar 19, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
RealDave was Kerry lying in 2003?

Mar 2003 - For:“I think Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction are a threat, and that's why I voted to hold him accountable and to make certain that we disarm him. I think we need to …”(“All Things Considered”, 3/19/03)

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#876079 Mar 19, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, he's not white. Sounds Indian or Pakistani.
Orlando dodged a big one. He pulled a gun on his roommate who ran to the bathroom to call police.
I tried to find from what part of the world the name comes from. There is no nationality from what I can tell. He had planned this attack. He did not register from spring semester. They were going to throw him out of the dorm. The prospect that this was a terrorist attack can not be ruled out.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#876080 Mar 19, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> So let me ask. Do you think it/they get paid to do this crap? I can think of no other reason except mental illness. At first I thought it was some kid with nothing better to do but it has now gone on much to long for that. It has to be more than one person to post around the clock as it/they do.
No, I don't think they are topix employees. It's probably a couple of people using multiple screen names. I think one is a writer and this may be an outlet for her (at our expense)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 70,614
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Brian_G 48,533
IBM certification C2010-658 exam training mater... 2 hr Harryexam 1
Exam C2090-310 braindumps 2 hr Harryexam 1
The latest IBM C2150-201 Exam free download 2 hr Harryexam 1
Exam C2150-202 questions and answers 2 hr Harryexam 1
Latest IBM M2040-669 of exam practice questions... 2 hr Harryexam 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr WelbyMD 180,818
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr edogxxx 98,685
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:28 pm PST

NBC Sports 8:28PM