Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
new yawk

West Jordan, UT

#875679 Mar 18, 2013
carol wrote:
For my pretend namesake's benefit (I refuse to respond to him directly):
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed and biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.
Look it up.
As it happens, there's no need. I read all the books i could handle on the subject long, long ago. Turns out, nothing's been dug up since then. Well, there was that coffin... but, darn it, somebody figured out that the name had been chiseled in long after the thing was buried. Ooopsie's! There is every chance - for how do you prove a negative - that historic Jesus never existed and, frankly, the story makes a lot more sense that way.

Peter: "No, I'm tellin' yas, I seen it wid me own eyes I did! He got up, got dressed, had himself a bit of a pee you know, and then he just walked right out of there he did!... What?.... Um... sure I saw it, I saw it myself I did... and, um.... yeah, then he sorta floated away down the street and I lost track of him for a day or two and finally here he comes in the pub, see? An' he's got these holes in his hands and feet and shit... HE DID! Yeah, I seen it myself. So here he comes in that pub and he looks around an' says, "Ye that have gathered in my name, deserve a drink! Drinks all round barkeep!" Yeah.. yeah, it's just the kind of guy he was I'm tellin' ya... yeah, sure, a few bob wouldn't go astray, bless you my son, bless you.. yeah, jus' toss it in the hat there with the other... yeah, there's a good lad... shalom to you too, brother..."

Since: May 11

Aspers, PA

#875680 Mar 18, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...very true, it is not easy for the young people.
Skill Skill SKILLS.....You have to have skill to compete.
The robot replaces the unskilled worker, but not the skilled worker.
Galt lied when he said liberals want everyone to go to college.

Liberals want kids to all have the opportunity to go to college or other forms of higher education such as trade schools.

Since the Republicans insist on killing the labor unions that used to take these kids & teach them through apprenticeship, they need to go to trade schools & hopefully find employers who will train them further.

A semi skilled worker can keep a cell of CNC machines operating that does the same job 6 skilled machinists used to do 30 years ago.
carol

Orlando, FL

#875681 Mar 18, 2013
Even though it's true high schoolers have a more difficult time finding decent paying jobs because computers and robots do them now...skills training and technical schools are highly overlooked as an alternative.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#875682 Mar 18, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I forget the Generals name....but he was saying that
for years the armed forces have had women in very important
roles such as nurses and other such very skilled roles.
His concern was that if the Armed Forces start to
become more and more of a unpleasant experience for
women, they will then have a hard time in recruiting
women into the armed forces.
That and I guess I just a little bit of the old school way
of thinking......Men fight the wars to keep the Women
and children safe....I see no reason to change that.
I think we are traveling a dangerous road when our leaders
want to push Women more and more into combat roles.
There is plenty of opportunities for Women in the Armed Forses
with out them jumping into enemy fox holes and slugging it
out with enemy soldiers.
Wars in places like the Middle East put women serving in traditionally noncombat roles in harms way as we saw with Jessica Lynch and others during the Iraq debacle. Our leaders aren't pushing women to the front__the circumstances of war is and women should be rewarded through promotions and pro pay on par with males.

You're obviously confused__the infantry remains closed to females.

During the Vietnam era women served in the medical area, clerking and certain other noncombat positions and there were female civilians serving there as well. Very few women died in RVN__some nurses were killed and wounded by a 122mm rocket attack while serving at the 45th Surgical Hospital in Tay Ninh which was as close to the so called front lines as US military women got. There was also a Filipino hospital with female staff at that base.

Female USO personnel and news reporters were also exposed to combat during that conlict.
carol

Orlando, FL

#875684 Mar 18, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Global Warming is mainstream thinking, just sayin'
The magnetic poles shifting is mainstream thinking too.

It's a matter of who or what you choose to believe.

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#875685 Mar 18, 2013
carol wrote:
For my pretend namesake's benefit (I refuse to respond to him directly):
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed and biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.
Look it up.
"Modern Scholars of Antiquity"??? Not really an oxymoron, I guess, more like whorish virgins..."Most scholars who have worked on the historicity of Jesus are Christian, and thus have vested theological, psychological, and perhaps monetary reasons to conclude that he existed.

Short answer: The evidence shows that Jesus is just a mythical character and never existed.

For Jesus-believers, here's the long answer (with evidence), which is needed to cover all bases:

All reliable evidence points to Jesus Christ being just a myth. There is no reliable evidence that Jesus even existed, and significant evidence that he didn't. The evidence is in the Bible, the other religions of the time, the lack of writings about Jesus by historians of the 1st century, and the lack of writings about Jesus by anyone until a decade or more after his supposed life ended.

The story of Jesus can be shown to be just a myth created to fulfill prophesy, cobbled together out of stories from the Old Testament and previous gods and myths -- created in the 40's and 50's by Paul of Tarsus (who exhibited symptoms of epilepsy and had delusions of Christ talking to him), the other apostles, the unknown authors of the gospels in the 70's or later, and many other people. The reliable evidence for this is overwhelming.

Paul and the other epistle writers don't know any biographical details of Jesus' life, or even the time of his earthly existence. They don't refer to Bethlehem, Nazareth, Galilee, Calvary or Golgotha or any pilgrimages to what should have been holy sites of Jesus' life. They also don't mention any miracles that Jesus was supposed to have worked, his virgin birth, his trial, the empty tomb, or his moral teachings. To them Jesus was largely a sky-god, who existed in the spiritual past..."

But what the hey, dumb carol, believe 'em if ya' got 'em.
carol

Orlando, FL

#875686 Mar 18, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>To be fair Carol's alter ego, there is the possibility the Romans would have kept no record of him as he would have been seen as a martyr and that's the last thing they needed on their hands.
Early Christians were fed to the lions and it wasn't that long after Jesus' time on this earth.

Guess they were fooled big time, huh?
new yawk

West Jordan, UT

#875687 Mar 18, 2013
carol wrote:
Even though it's true high schoolers have a more difficult time finding decent paying jobs because computers and robots do them now...skills training and technical schools are highly overlooked as an alternative.
The real problem, carol-dear, and it's a fatal problem, is that capitalism itself is the source of it. If you've got a labor pool of, say, 35,000,000 young Americans all looking for work at, say,
$9 an hour, and, at the same time, you have, say, 500,000,000 Asians who've been trained at state expense who are willing to do the same jobs for, say,.15 an hour, where do you suppose industry will look to create the jobs? But the real schtick in the eye is that these delightful Asians willing to do American work for free, will, and are currently putting pressure on our economy to lower the salary of workers so American firms can compete with, say, Chinee ones. Someday, thanks to you and your friends, carol, the minimum wage will be .14 an hour. Congratulations, honey! Everyone's gonna love you guys for restoring some common sense to fiscal policy.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#875688 Mar 18, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Early Christians were fed to the lions and it wasn't that long after Jesus' time on this earth.
Guess they were fooled big time, huh?
Only in a few zip codes Carol__quit with the COG bible school drama eh?

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#875689 Mar 18, 2013
carol wrote:
Boy, I sure go from being one of the "popular kids" to one of the "outcasts" with mindboggling speed since last night.
Must have been something I said to leosnana after she quoted scripture to me about name calling right after she called me a moron again.
C'est la vie.
I usually call you "dumb carol," dumb carol--I think I picked it up from Tenzing or someone when I first came here. Might have said "what a 'moran'" as an allusion. Do you have link to that? I rather doubt it occurred. I mean, moron technically has the intellect of a twelve year old, and that seems a little generous.
The Slayer

Findlay, OH

#875690 Mar 18, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Wars in places like the Middle East put women serving in traditionally noncombat roles in harms way as we saw with Jessica Lynch and others during the Iraq debacle. Our leaders aren't pushing women to the front__the circumstances of war is and women should be rewarded through promotions and pro pay on par with males.
You're obviously confused__the infantry remains closed to females.
During the Vietnam era women served in the medical area, clerking and certain other noncombat positions and there were female civilians serving there as well. Very few women died in RVN__some nurses were killed and wounded by a 122mm rocket attack while serving at the 45th Surgical Hospital in Tay Ninh which was as close to the so called front lines as US military women got. There was also a Filipino hospital with female staff at that base.
Female USO personnel and news reporters were also exposed to combat during that conlict.
You mixing up combat with harms way....very different.
We don't have a need for Female SEAL teams....and that is direction
that some want to take us.
I think it is a mistake when Females fly combat missions.
There is nothing wrong with a traditional way of thinking when
it comes to defending this country.
Social engineering does not belong in our country as for it does
belong in our Military.

If it was needed in order to defend our country....well that is one
thing, but a change away from the traditional way we defend
ourselves is not needed.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#875691 Mar 18, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Well, the dot com boom was only frosting on the late 1990's cake wasn't it? As I recall there were plenty of places to make money way back then.
Bulls and bears win.

Only the pigs get slaughtered.

Time to bank some profits instead of being greedy.

Although maybe the "bank" should be your mattress to avoid government confiscation.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#875692 Mar 18, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Florida is reevaluating it's testing methods for NCLB assumes all students will be attending college. Hah!
When I was a young snapperwhipper the high schools in my region offered various course loads__college prep__business__home economics and industrial arts. Beyond high school there were different sorts of trade schools-union apprenticeship programs and such.
My friends who became tool and die makers made great money over the course of their lives. One friend became a captain on a Great Lakes freighter. Class reunions are interesting.
Some parts of the country offer vocational-technical programs where the student attends an academic high school half-time for core courses and then a vocational school for building trades, auto mechanics, etc.

At the same time we continue to pour untold billions of dollars into community colleges that offer worthless degrees.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#875693 Mar 18, 2013
The Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I forget the Generals name....but he was saying that
for years the armed forces have had women in very important
roles such as nurses and other such very skilled roles.
His concern was that if the Armed Forces start to
become more and more of a unpleasant experience for
women, they will then have a hard time in recruiting
women into the armed forces.
That and I guess I just a little bit of the old school way
of thinking......Men fight the wars to keep the Women
and children safe....I see no reason to change that.
I think we are traveling a dangerous road when our leaders
want to push Women more and more into combat roles.
There is plenty of opportunities for Women in the Armed Forses
with out them jumping into enemy fox holes and slugging it
out with enemy soldiers.
Sometimes ya gotta learn difficult lessons the hard way, and women in combat will.
carol

Orlando, FL

#875694 Mar 18, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>"Modern Scholars of Antiquity"??? Not really an oxymoron, I guess, more like whorish virgins..."Most scholars who have worked on the historicity of Jesus are Christian, and thus have vested theological, psychological, and perhaps monetary reasons to conclude that he existed.
Short answer: The evidence shows that Jesus is just a mythical character and never existed.
For Jesus-believers, here's the long answer (with evidence), which is needed to cover all bases:
All reliable evidence points to Jesus Christ being just a myth. There is no reliable evidence that Jesus even existed, and significant evidence that he didn't. The evidence is in the Bible, the other religions of the time, the lack of writings about Jesus by historians of the 1st century, and the lack of writings about Jesus by anyone until a decade or more after his supposed life ended.
The story of Jesus can be shown to be just a myth created to fulfill prophesy, cobbled together out of stories from the Old Testament and previous gods and myths -- created in the 40's and 50's by Paul of Tarsus (who exhibited symptoms of epilepsy and had delusions of Christ talking to him), the other apostles, the unknown authors of the gospels in the 70's or later, and many other people. The reliable evidence for this is overwhelming.
Paul and the other epistle writers don't know any biographical details of Jesus' life, or even the time of his earthly existence. They don't refer to Bethlehem, Nazareth, Galilee, Calvary or Golgotha or any pilgrimages to what should have been holy sites of Jesus' life. They also don't mention any miracles that Jesus was supposed to have worked, his virgin birth, his trial, the empty tomb, or his moral teachings. To them Jesus was largely a sky-god, who existed in the spiritual past..."
But what the hey, dumb carol, believe 'em if ya' got 'em.
Guess those early Christians who were eaten by wild animals in 64 A.D. were pretty gullible. Let's see, that would be the equivalent of today compared to 1949.

It's like being fooled about Hitler. I mean, it WAS 64 years ago!

Then there's Constantine the Great, that Roman Emperor who first converted to Christianity. He sure must have been a chump to believe all that love and compassion stuff, granting tolerance to Christians and restoring their property seized during previous persecutions.

And what about that 1st century historian, Flavius Josephus...what a goofball he was writing about Jesus and the origins of Christianity!

Sheesh...what a bunch of morons, huh, leosnana?
new yawk

West Jordan, UT

#875695 Mar 18, 2013
Well, to be fair, there was some of that lion-feeding thing going on, particularly at the end, but it really didn't lend itself to an arena spectacle and it hardly was limited to the christian cult. I mean the first throat he rips out pretty much is lunch and he and his mates or she and her sisters, will settle in for a meal. Onlookers complained that there were knots of prisoners relatively unscathed and milling about at these things while the lions would roll over and put their feet in the air after killing just a few of them. The Romans, ever with an eye to business had to use archers and spear-chuckers to finish the rest off. But slaughtering people all day for a month is a messy business, and, what with no real sanitation and bodies piling up in the streets, Romans came to prefer more... pedestrian pursuits. The Roman version of NASCAR or sea battles with galleys rowing around firing arrows at one another. But the main thing, carol, is that the Fall of the Roman Empire, a 300 year fall as it happened, was a direct result of too few having too much and severe environtmental degradation, plain as that. Everybody else wanted their stuff but the Romans wanted to keep it. the battle o' tiny brained one, was not between the Romans and the "christians," it was between the rich and the poor, which is what some of the poor were at that time. Rome died of civil wars not religious ones. As Galt says, you people were just in the way... much like now.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#875696 Mar 18, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Have you tried your bigoted BS on Israel? They've been drafting everybody for ever, and I don't think they're considered over-aged cub scouts last I heard. Besides, get with the century--I think I can score more kills with my little drone than that machismo jarhead with all the upper body strength that doesn't include his head.
That's a video game, not combat. One doesn't even need to be in the military to do that. Good job for paraplegics and senior citizens.

Make up your mind about the role women should play.

By the way, once in the military, one doesn't get to choose whether to go into combat or not.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#875697 Mar 18, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>

A lot of high schoolers who can't find decent paying jobs because computers or robots do them now find themselves with no other choice but to go to school to put off the inevitable - working at McDonalds.
Sad but true.
Listen to what you just said and realize how ridiculous it is.

Burger flippers with community college credits.
carol

Orlando, FL

#875698 Mar 18, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Only in a few zip codes Carol__quit with the COG bible school drama eh?
Let's say you had to deny something that you know for a fact happened right before you were born or you'd be fed to the lions.

No one would choose to die a horrible death if they just had to deny something they knew to be true.

I'd deny just about anything before being fed to the lions. Except my faith.

Some truths are worth dying for.
new yawk

West Jordan, UT

#875699 Mar 18, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess those early Christians who were eaten by wild animals in 64 A.D. were pretty gullible. Let's see, that would be the equivalent of today compared to 1949.
It's like being fooled about Hitler. I mean, it WAS 64 years ago!
Then there's Constantine the Great, that Roman Emperor who first converted to Christianity. He sure must have been a chump to believe all that love and compassion stuff, granting tolerance to Christians and restoring their property seized during previous persecutions.
And what about that 1st century historian, Flavius Josephus...what a goofball he was writing about Jesus and the origins of Christianity!
Sheesh...what a bunch of morons, huh, leosnana?
Well, not 'morons' precisely, more like... opportunists. Like the "Saints" of today in our country, they saw the need in the eyes of the people for relief and change and they just chose what seemed as the most useful means to gin up some support for some form of that. Nothing that poor people love more than having someone poorer than them to look down on. Have you ever read Flavius, my dear? In Latin? Does he seem... "mainstream" to you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 10-23-14 4 min Sublime1 5
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 179,396
Amy 10-24 16 min Sublime1 5
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min Jonah1 50,630
Abby 10-24 28 min Sublime1 10
Uniosun Admission List (utme/de) 2014/2015 Rele... 1 hr Dr Lucky 1
Ansu Supplementary Admission 2014/2015 Released... 1 hr Dr Lucky 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]