Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

dem

Chicago, IL

#868240 Mar 5, 2013
Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.. and more Proof that ignorance, racism and bigotry are inbred into the DNA of the sellout "No Surprize"... AND... As usual, your shit stained sheet is still on display.
Whoops! Dumbfk hillbilly is hard up. Needs to throw in the race card for good measure!
carol

Orlando, FL

#868241 Mar 5, 2013
NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> You can honestly answer your own question! Do I have Harry Reid phone number? You were implying that because Harry Reid said it it's ok. Don't lie to yourself & I won't lie to you. Your intent had racist motives!
No, my intent was to show you the hypocrisy of those who call others racists.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#868242 Mar 5, 2013
A new short-term budget bill introduced on Monday by House Republicans includes a bizarre provision banning federal funding to anti-poverty group ACORN, despite the fact that the group has already been stripped of federal funding -- and has been defunct for nearly three years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/05/acor...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#868243 Mar 5, 2013
Politicians, especially conservative ones, massively overestimate the conservatism of their constituents on the issues of gay marriage and universal health care, an academic paper published Sunday has found.

David E. Broockman of the University of California at Berkeley and Christopher Skovron of the University of Michigan surveyed nearly 2,000 state legislative candidates in the 2012 election and asked them what percentage of their constituents they thought supported same-sex marriage, a universal health care system and abolishing all welfare programs.

The result was a vast conservative misperception. Constituents, on average, supported gay marriage and universal health care by 10 percentage points more than their politicians had estimated. For conservative politicians, the spread was around 20 percentage points, meaning that conservative legislators tend to greatly overestimate how conservative their constituents actually are.

"For perspective, 20 percentage points is roughly the difference in partisanship between California and Alabama," the authors write. "Most politicians appear to believe they are representing constituents who are considerably different than their actual constituents."

The authors note that the conservative imbalance is particularly severe. "This difference is so large that nearly half of conservative politicians appear to believe that they represent a district that is more conservative on these issues than is the most conservative district in the entire country," they write.

The authors note that their findings rebuke Nixonian notions of a "silent majority," or more recently, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's contention that "real America" supported her and Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz) 2008 ticket.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/04/poli...
TSM

El Paso, TX

#868244 Mar 5, 2013
Republicans position about the Debt/Deficit is a simple one (We Don’t Have a Revenue Problem We Have a Spending Problem) and According to the Congressional Budget Office, federal tax revenue will hit $2.7 trillion in 2013, the highest number ever!!
The lesson here ‘We cannot tax our way out of poverty, and we cannot spend our way to prosperity!’
dem

Chicago, IL

#868245 Mar 5, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
A new short-term budget bill introduced on Monday by House Republicans includes a bizarre provision banning federal funding to anti-poverty group ACORN, despite the fact that the group has already been stripped of federal funding -- and has been defunct for nearly three years.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/05/acor...
Brain dead dumbfk BS propoganda post #1 - Here we go again today!
Florida

Elk City, OK

#868246 Mar 5, 2013
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Homer the dumbfk hillbilly, for sure.
LOL.. "No Surprize" post farting in his rear view mirror, in his own gaseous, tailpipe wind storm. Sometimes "No Surprize" has to do more with his mouth than just polish head...
dem

Chicago, IL

#868247 Mar 5, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Politicians, especially conservative ones, massively overestimate the conservatism of their constituents on the issues of gay marriage and universal health care, an academic paper published Sunday has found.
David E. Broockman of the University of California at Berkeley and Christopher Skovron of the University of Michigan surveyed nearly 2,000 state legislative candidates in the 2012 election and asked them what percentage of their constituents they thought supported same-sex marriage, a universal health care system and abolishing all welfare programs.
The result was a vast conservative misperception. Constituents, on average, supported gay marriage and universal health care by 10 percentage points more than their politicians had estimated. For conservative politicians, the spread was around 20 percentage points, meaning that conservative legislators tend to greatly overestimate how conservative their constituents actually are.
"For perspective, 20 percentage points is roughly the difference in partisanship between California and Alabama," the authors write. "Most politicians appear to believe they are representing constituents who are considerably different than their actual constituents."
The authors note that the conservative imbalance is particularly severe. "This difference is so large that nearly half of conservative politicians appear to believe that they represent a district that is more conservative on these issues than is the most conservative district in the entire country," they write.
The authors note that their findings rebuke Nixonian notions of a "silent majority," or more recently, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's contention that "real America" supported her and Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz) 2008 ticket.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/04/poli...
Brain dead dumbfk BS propoganda copy & paste job #2
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#868248 Mar 5, 2013
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Brain dead dumbfk BS propoganda post #1 - Here we go again today!
yep. again. all day long if you want. with so many people taking shots at republicans i think i can sustain it for a few hours. er, days?

the morning fav....

The Daily Caller Is Sticking With Its Senator Menendez Prostitute Story

It ultimately doesn't matter whether The Daily Caller is right and Nexis de los Santos Santana isn't actually one of the two women who was featured in their November 1 story about Menendez. The woman says that she and a friend were paid to make up the claims about Menendez and give those stories to journalists, suggesting the scam is wider than just one person. But even if the friend isn't one of the women in the video, the story still calls into question the entire premise of their original charge against Menendez. If someone was paying Dominican prostitutes to make up stories about the Senator, then the credibility of anyone telling the same story has to now be in question. Especially because there seems to be no other proof (according to the FBI) that Menendez is guilty. The woman in the Post story may be lying now, but nothing in The Daily Caller's response proves that she is.

Oh, and one final strike against The Daily Caller. Carlson claimed in his tweet that no one from the Post called before they published their story. Post reporter Carol Leonnig writes in the middle of her piece, that "Daily Caller Editor Tucker Carlson did not reply to phone calls and e-mails requesting comment."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/...

Tucker shut down the comments on the story after peeps started posting stuff like that over at the Caller.

and yes, i was one of those peeps.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#868249 Mar 5, 2013
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/breaking...

Another Republican lie....Menendez NEVER met the woman.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#868250 Mar 5, 2013
Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.. "No Surprize" post farting in his rear view mirror, in his own gaseous, tailpipe wind storm. Sometimes "No Surprize" has to do more with his mouth than just polish head...
When you blame other people for the things that go wrong in your life, remember this..... Things will continue to go wrong in your miserable life.

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

Who's dawn?

#868251 Mar 5, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
No, my intent was to show you the hypocrisy of those who call others racists.
What you intend to do usually bears little resemblance to what you actually do; that's the occupational hazard for hypocrites. IOW, your actions are speaking so loudly, we don't hear a word you are saying.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#868252 Mar 5, 2013
runner up for morning fav....

Barack Obama is a remarkably gifted politician. But his cardinal political error has been that at times he seems to lack the imagination to even conceptualize how truly nihilistic, irresponsible, partisan, and, yes, crazy his Republican opponents are. The last Democratic president saw the Republicans shut down the government, squander millions on partisan witch hunts—including taking 140 hours of sworn testimony investigating President Clinton’s Christmas-card list—and drag the country through an impeachment process. Despite that history—and despite that Obama may be dealing with Republicans who are even more ideological and self-destructive than in Clinton’s day—he still expressed a blind faith in their reasonableness. How quaint.

This faith in the reasonableness of others is quintessentially American. We are, after all, a nation born of the Enlightenment. John Locke, the intellectual godfather of the American Revolution, said,“Reason must be our last judge and guide in everything.” But John Locke was a 17th-century English philosopher, not a 21st-century Tea Party nihilist. Obama, sadly, is not dealing with Mr. Locke—nor with Mr. Spock—but rather with zealous partisans who would, it seems, gladly harm the country in order to hurt the president. Highly illogical, perhaps, but real.

Our president, however, is nothing if not smart. And so he has adapted. Instead of sitting with Boehner and Cantor and McConnell, seeking to appeal to the cool light of reason, which failed so miserably in previous budget showdowns, he is barnstorming the country, basking in the warm glow of popular approval. Whereas once he seemed to prefer the prophet Isaiah’s entreaty,“Come now, let us reason together,” now he seems to be channeling the prophet Ezekiel:“I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes.”

Fortunately for our nation, the president seems to have hit upon a strategy that works. Republicans are more divided and more extreme, while Democrats seem more united and more mainstream. By a 3–1 margin in the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, voters say the GOP prefers partisanship to national unity, while a slight plurality views Obama as putting unity before party.

It seems our supremely rational president has concluded that, rather than trying to reason with his irrational adversaries, it’s better to fight off the bad guys and defeat the forces of reaction.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/03...

now that's some propaganda that will ruffle some feathers.
leosanusbama

Pompano Beach, FL

#868253 Mar 5, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>What you intend to do usually bears little resemblance to what you actually do; that's the occupational hazard for hypocrites. IOW, your actions are speaking so loudly, we don't hear a word you are saying.
That becuz yo latest illegitimate babydaddy he be snorin so dang loudly
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#868254 Mar 5, 2013
GOP Centrists Concerned Ryan’s New Medicare Plan May Hit Older People

"A lot of people had made commitments at 55. In other words, in the campaign [Republican vulnerable members] said it wouldn’t affect your Medicare for retirees or near retirees for those 55 and up ... and [if] this budget forces them to renege on that, that would be problematic for many."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/c...

Republicans renege on a campaign promise?
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#868255 Mar 5, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
GOP Centrists Concerned Ryan’s New Medicare Plan May Hit Older People
"A lot of people had made commitments at 55. In other words, in the campaign [Republican vulnerable members] said it wouldn’t affect your Medicare for retirees or near retirees for those 55 and up ... and [if] this budget forces them to renege on that, that would be problematic for many."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/c...
Republicans renege on a campaign promise?
Honesty is a very expensive gift sonicfilter. Don't expect it from cheap and deranged liberals.
dem

Chicago, IL

#868256 Mar 5, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
GOP Centrists Concerned Ryan’s New Medicare Plan May Hit Older People
"A lot of people had made commitments at 55. In other words, in the campaign [Republican vulnerable members] said it wouldn’t affect your Medicare for retirees or near retirees for those 55 and up ... and [if] this budget forces them to renege on that, that would be problematic for many."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/c...
Republicans renege on a campaign promise?
Brain dead dumbfk BS propoganda copy & paste job #3
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#868257 Mar 5, 2013
senior editor for National Review...

Do Conservatives Actually Want to Win Elections?

People who want to see American politics take a turn to the right, and a few who don’t, have been giving a lot of advice to conservatives lately. Move this way on the social issues; move that way on economics; get more technology-savvy. You’ve heard it all, sometimes from me.

Maybe all this advice is based on a false premise. We’ve been assuming that conservatives want to start winning political and policy victories again. But a few news items from last week suggest that many of them have different priorities.

....In each of these episodes, some Republicans have seemed to dislike one another more than they like defeating Democrats and enacting conservative policies. After elections in which conservatives attracted the allegiance of only a minority of voters, they have reacted by trying to kick people out rather than bring people in.(You can see the same impulse at work among Republican critics of religious conservatives.)

Michael Kinsley once remarked that liberals were always looking for heretics while conservatives were always looking for converts. But that was a long time ago, when conservatives were on the upswing.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-04/do-c...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#868258 Mar 5, 2013
The Last Time The Dow Was Here...

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 03/05/2013 09:36 -0500

"Mission Accomplished" - With CNBC now lost for countdown-able targets (though 20,000 is so close), we leave it to none other than Jim Cramer to sum up where we stand (oh and the following list of remarkable then-and-now macro, micro, and market variables): "we all know it's going to end badly, but in the meantime we can make some money" - ZH translation: "just make sure to sell ahead of everyone else."

Dow Jones Industrial Average: Then 14164.5; Now 14164.5

Regular Gas Price: Then $2.75; Now $3.73

GDP Growth: Then +2.5%; Now +1.6%

Americans Unemployed (in Labor Force): Then 6.7 million; Now 13.2 million

Americans On Food Stamps: Then 26.9 million; Now 47.69 million

Size of Fed's Balance Sheet: Then $0.89 trillion; Now $3.01 trillion

US Debt as a Percentage of GDP: Then ~38%; Now 74.2%

US Deficit (LTM): Then $97 billion; Now $975.6 billion

Total US Debt Oustanding: Then $9.008 trillion; Now $16.43 trillion

US Household Debt: Then $13.5 trillion; Now 12.87 trillion

Labor Force Particpation Rate: Then 65.8%; Now 63.6%

Consumer Confidence: Then 99.5; Now 69.6

S&P Rating of the US: Then AAA; Now AA+

VIX: Then 17.5%; Now 14%

10 Year Treasury Yield: Then 4.64%; Now 1.89%

EURUSD: Then 1.4145; Now 1.3050

Gold: Then $748; Now $1583

NYSE Average LTM Volume (per day): Then 1.3 billion shares; Now 545 million shares
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#868259 Mar 5, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
http://thenewcivilrightsmoveme nt.com/breaking-prostitute-who -claimed-senator-paid-her-for- sex-admits-she-was-only-paid-t o-lie/politics/2013/03/04/6177 6
Another Republican lie....Menendez NEVER met the woman.
"BOB MENENDEZ NOW MAY HAVE PASSED BILLS TO HELP HIS BUDDY WHO, YOU KNOW, HELPED HIM"

“This is more and more appearing to be a clear-cut case of corruption and bribery which is not something that typically goes over well in the United States. It’s one thing to have sex with underage hookers but another entirely to do that on the dime of a wealthy donor who you than help, that is the real issue here,..."

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Politic...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 187,828
The Jar, what life is all about. 1 hr Thye human being 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr jimi-yank 53,037
Core Aspects In Testo XTRM Across The Usa 2 hr jorgeleone 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr TRD 69,797
College Scandals 11 hr music 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 14 hr Red_Forman 5,947
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]