Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#860163 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hagel is being opposed because he is a Quisling.
He's being opposed because he's an Obama nominee. If Reagan were still alive and Obama nominated him y'all would hate him instantly.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#860164 Feb 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Register a throw-away email address on gmail. I don't think I've ever checked the address I registered with.
Registering will not deter those determined to be personally abusive.

A thick skin is required.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#860165 Feb 16, 2013
Classy Freddie Blassy wrote:
I heard Corey Booker and Marion Barry are running in next presidencial election.
Booker would not be a surprise at all, as a designated Obama surrogate. Obama will have a candidate in the race, and it will not be Hillary.

Barry could run on a ticket with Al Sharpton or Jesse jackson, Jr. and would still get 99% of the plantation vote.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#860166 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
Facebook Gets a Multibillion-Dollar Tax Break
By Peter Coy on February 15, 2013
It hasn’t drawn much attention, but Facebook’s first annual earnings report contains an accounting gem: a multibillion-dollar tax deduction for the cost of executive stock options and share awards.
Even though Facebook (FB) reported $1.1 billion in pre-tax profits from U.S. operations in 2012, it will probably pay zero federal and state taxes—and even receive a federal tax refund of about $429 million—according to a Feb. 14 statement from Citizens for Tax Justice.
The tax-research and -lobbying organization says companies such as Facebook should treat stock options the same in their reports to shareholders as they do in their tax filings. Citizens for Tax Justice calls the tax footnotes in Facebook’s Jan. 30 financial statement “an amazing admission,” but there’s nothing illegal about the breaks the company is claiming. Companies like Facebook are allowed to treat the cost of non-cash compensation, such as stock options, as an expense that reduces profits, essentially the way they treat cash compensation such as salaries.
The difference is that Facebook—unlike, say, General Motors (GM)—relies heavily on stock options and restricted stock units as a form of compensation. It paid out a lot during its years as a private company that it must now recognize on its income statement and balance sheet.
You won’t find any $429 million tax refund in Facebook’s financial statements. Indeed, the company says it had a $559 million federal tax liability in 2012. But that liability isn’t an actual payment. In a footnote, the company also said that it had a $1.03 billion “excess tax benefit” last year related to “stock option exercises and other equity awards.” That benefit is what flips the federal tax liability into a refund.(A small portion is applied against state taxes.)
Facebook says that it anticipates reducing its tax liability in the future by an additional $2.17 billion by using further net operating loss carry-forwards that it has banked.
Boycott facebook, Close your accounts.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#860167 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Ted Cruz speaks for the base of the Republican Party, while McCain speaks for the Washington establishment.
We need a fighter like Ted Cruz, not a doormat like McCain.
you don't need a fighter after the fight is already over.

you folks are just fighting to try to keep us in the 80s. "dusty Reaganisms" and all that thank you Marco.

so how many times did Reagan raise taxes? and why did he? because he was worried about the good of country and not worried about what the 'base' would be pissed off about.

because you see, and as was pointed out by Bill Buckley on more than one occasion, the base will always be ideologically irrational.

and.....in the minority.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#860168 Feb 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never seen a group of people so fiercely dedicated to defeat.
Well, except for libertarians and communists that is.
As a Libertarian, you should understand that principles are more important than winning by selling out.

Republicans can win by emphasizing economics and avoiding social issues, as in the 2010 election.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#860169 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hagel is being opposed because he is a Quisling.
Senate Republicans Make a Spectacle of Themselves

The bizarre anti-Hagel effort has attached itself to the worst mistakes of the Bush administration.

There’s no question that Republicans in Washington are desperate for a winning issue......

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#860170 Feb 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
He's being opposed because he's an Obama nominee. If Reagan were still alive and Obama nominated him y'all would hate him instantly.
Lack of opposition to Kerry negates that argument.
hhhm

Salamanca, NY

#860171 Feb 16, 2013
i dont trust no goverment official they all lie
all bent on money and power as long as it benifit's them not the people in the long run

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#860172 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
But illegal aliens do vote, and no proof of citizenship or identity is required.
Liar.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#860173 Feb 16, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
you don't need a fighter after the fight is already over.
you folks are just fighting to try to keep us in the 80s. "dusty Reaganisms" and all that thank you Marco.
so how many times did Reagan raise taxes? and why did he? because he was worried about the good of country and not worried about what the 'base' would be pissed off about.
because you see, and as was pointed out by Bill Buckley on more than one occasion, the base will always be ideologically irrational.
and.....in the minority.
Correct. Republicans should just roll over and let Obama bankrupt the country.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#860174 Feb 16, 2013
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>Boycott facebook, Close your accounts.
Don't have one and never will.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#860176 Feb 16, 2013
Hagel Temporarily Blocked, Paul Permanently Damaged

I should add that it isn’t just the Hagel vote that has alienated Sen. Paul’s potential supporters. Sen. Paul has voted for cruel, ineffective Iran sanctions, and a lot of antiwar conservatives were willing to cut him some slack on the grounds that he was still opposed to war with Iran. He offered an entirely unnecessary security guarantee to Israel, and many of his potential supporters were still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Voting to block Hagel was the final straw for a lot of people, but it’s important to understand that this reaction is not limited to dissatisfaction with today’s vote. The decision to vote with his party to block Hagel is part of a pattern of bad calls that Sen. Paul has made in recent months, and in each of these he has ended up siding with people who hate restraint and prudence in foreign policy and who also hate Hagel because he represented some measure of both.

Waxman

Windsor, CT

#860177 Feb 16, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Jane and you for that matter are totally wrong. The Obama administration has deported 1.5 times as many illegal immigrants as the previous administration, concentrating on those who commit crimes.
How can the Democrats be pandering for the votes of people who don't vote? In case you've forgotten, to register to vote you need to be able to prove your citizenship.
Angry? No, anger is an expensive emotion that I'm not going to waste on insignificant ignorant people. I just call out people for what they are.
I didn't call you an idiot this time. Happy?
Yeah - actually you did two things. You didn't use the idiot routine to close and previously you owned up to not reading the entire manifesto. You are not a type A liberal Democrat here therefore I must apologize for misjudging you.

As far as illegal immigrants, yes it's true it's been reported that Obama has deported 1.5 times as many as Bush and ironic since many on the left support sanctuary cities. New Haven & Hartford, for example. In addition, Democrats know they have an issue advantage so they will do anything, regardless of common sense to pander to Hispanics such as:

"New Haven's mayor wants illegal immigrants to be able vote in municipal elections"

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/politics/N...

If you don't agree that type of proposal by Democrats does not encourage illegal immigrants to come & stay here then you are not being fair, so I agree with Jane.

After all, Democrats have done other crazy things such as suggest/provide in-state student college prices to illegals, yet people from the next state "who are legal citizens" pay out of state tuition prices.

Interesting read: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...

The overarching point however is that Democrats get the Hispanic legal voters by showing disregard for illegal immigration - remember - many legal ones want their relatives (legal or illegal) to be here. I'm not saying Republicans have been straight on this either as they share in the blame for the situation, but by far, Democrats have gone overboard and it's simply to get the vote at our expense and at the expense of justice/rule of law.

To Obama's credit, they "say" he is also going after the criminal illegals, however we know what he doesn't always follow through on things as the Washington Post article points out.

Have a good weekend.
carol

Orlando, FL

#860178 Feb 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Those of us who know you aren't fooled (mostly). I've been off all week too, ironic we should return at the same time.
I'm tellin' ya, Grumpy Old Broad is still available.
Register.
Okay, I really must stop this. The carol magnet is sure to be close by.

But, yes it is ironic we should come back on at the same time and a little eerie we're on any sort of same wavelength.

Let's really test it. What color are you thinking of?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#860179 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Republicans should just roll over and let Obama bankrupt the country.
all you folks have anymore is boilerplate. no facts in sight for as far as the eye can see.

so here ya go....

Why Government Spending Is Not Out of Control

It is a standard talking point of Republicans and deficit hawks of all political stripes that federal spending is out of control; that major surgery is needed, especially on entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare, to get the budget on a sustainable course.

In fact, our long-term deficit situation is not nearly as severe as even many budget experts believe. The problem is that they are looking at recent history and near-term projections that are overly impacted by one-time factors related to the economic crisis and massive Republican tax cuts that lowered revenues far below normal.

Read more at http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2013/01...

tax cuts are bad? yes....

U.S. posts $3 billion budget surplus for January

The budget posted a surprise surplus in January for the first time in five years, as the Treasury likely benefited from a windfall when payroll tax cuts expired.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/12/us-...

and to finish the week blowing up myths....

What explains the sharp decline in U.S. employment from 2007 to 2009? Why has employment remained stubbornly low? Survey data from the National Federation of Independent Businesses show that the decline in state-level employment is strongly correlated with the increase in the percentage of businesses complaining about lack of demand. While business concerns about government regulation and taxes also rose steadily from 2008 to 2011, there is no evidence that job losses were larger in states where businesses were more worried about these factors.

http://www.frbsf.org/publications/economics/l...

Now tell us Mr. Galt, what does it feel like to live a fact free life?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#860180 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't have one and never will.
Me neither.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#860182 Feb 16, 2013
now where is that carol doppelganger when you need her?

someone turn on the Batman light.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#860183 Feb 16, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Hagel Temporarily Blocked, Paul Permanently Damaged
I should add that it isn’t just the Hagel vote that has alienated Sen. Paul’s potential supporters. Sen. Paul has voted for cruel, ineffective Iran sanctions, and a lot of antiwar conservatives were willing to cut him some slack on the grounds that he was still opposed to war with Iran. He offered an entirely unnecessary security guarantee to Israel, and many of his potential supporters were still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Voting to block Hagel was the final straw for a lot of people, but it’s important to understand that this reaction is not limited to dissatisfaction with today’s vote. The decision to vote with his party to block Hagel is part of a pattern of bad calls that Sen. Paul has made in recent months, and in each of these he has ended up siding with people who hate restraint and prudence in foreign policy and who also hate Hagel because he represented some measure of both.
The left is focusing their fire on Marco Rubio and Rand Paul because they are the leaders for 2016. Same old, same old.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#860184 Feb 16, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Libertarian, you should understand that principles are more important than winning by selling out.
Republicans can win by emphasizing economics and avoiding social issues, as in the 2010 election.
But big government solutions for social issues defines your base.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min Mothra 49,208
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr jacques Ottawau 181,832
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 71,023
New Beach Boys song. 6 hr The Beach Boys 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 7 hr _Zoey_ 363
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr _Zoey_ 4,918
sex 9 hr rahul 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 hr Ralph 98,853
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:01 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:01PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins
Bleacher Report 6:14 PM
RG3 Showing Enough to Remain Starter in WSH