Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1276163 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857487 Feb 11, 2013
the things you find on right wing sites.....

Douglas County’s GOP Blocks GA Black Republican Chair from being a County Delegate

This story comes to us courtesy of Erick’s old stomping grounds at Peach Pundit. Apparently, 1st Vice Chair of the Douglas County Republican Part Michael McNeely, who is also the Chairman of the Georgia Black Republican Council, has been blocked from being a delegate to the county’s GOP Convention by county GOP Board Member Jack Gamel. Peach Pundit links to this post from Constant Contact, where Bryan Tolar, 3rd Vice Chairman of the DCGOP, tells us:

At the Mirror Lake precinct table today, Douglas County GOP Board Member Jack Gamel led an effort to refuse Michael McNeely (a strong conservative and 1st Vice-Chair of the Douglas County GOP) a precinct delegate spot. There were 15 delegate slots available and only five people present, yet Jack insisted in his action. Jack’s petty old white man politics targeted one of the rising African American stars of Georgia and National GOP leaders. By a 3-2 vote, Jack’s efforts were successful.

Charlie from Peach Pundit, meanwhile, adds this:

I spoke to Michael McNeely today by phone. He told me that Mr. Gamel told him that his exclusion was because McNeely ran against Gamel’s friend Terry Baggett last term for First Vice-Chair of the Douglas County Party – a position that Mr. McNeely won. So, in the pettyness that is county party politics, we have a man at the precinct level who chose to block his county’s First Vice Chairman from being a delegate to his county’s convention out of what appears to be a petty act of revenge.

As Peach Pundit notes, none of this was against the rules, but this nevertheless is establishment politics at its worst. A conservative candidate (McNeely) dares to run against the guy hand-picked by a party boss, and as a consequence, the conservative gets hit with payback and shut out of the process.

Mr. McNeely’s race should be irrelevant to this discussion, but the optics here are not good nevertheless. The GOP already has enough of a problem with its reputation as the party of “old white men”, so what better way for us to live up to that image than by excluding a conservative black man from a county convention! It only looks worse when you consider the fact that McNeely is the Chairman of the Georgia Black Republican Council!

Nice job, guys.

Oh, but it gets worse. As Peach Pundit notes:

At a time when the Republican Party is desparately trying to figure out how to reach out to non-white voters, McNeely and his wife (who was not in attendence but was nominated to be a delegate) were excluded by a vote of 3-2. Three white votes were for exclusion; Two African American votes were for inclusion.

http://www.redstate.com/2013/02/11/douglas-co...

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#857488 Feb 11, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize for my earlier callous response, you are obviously crying out for help. Here's where you can get some on your perseveration disorder. You'll notice that this mental illness is also linked to paranoia and schizophrenia, this might explain your civil war fantasy. Good luck with your treatment.
http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.o...
Damn. You are showing signs of Alzheimer's. Perhaps if you read the post one more time, you might be able to remember what's in the post long enough to generate a response.

We still haven't gotten an answer to these questions:
Where was Obama during the 7-hour battle between Al Qaeda and the stripped-down American embassy security detatchment in Benghazi while the White House watched Al Qaeda kill Americans on the real-time video feed?
Why did Obama lie for two weeks covering up the Al Qaeda attack on the United States?
Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?
And, a new question:
Joe Biden says the government can infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Where is the text in the Constitution that gives the government the authority to infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms?
And, another question:
Eric Holder says the government can determine who in the United States is allowed to have a firearm. Where is the text in the Constitution that gives the government the authority to decide who in the United States is allowed to own a firearm?
The questions that Democrats can't, or won't answer just keeps growing.
The answer to the first two questions may describe treason.
If the third question isn't answered, the government collapses and the existence of the United States comes to an end.
The answer to the last two questions may describe the establishment of an unconstitutional dictatorship.
These questions will ultimately be answered. Hopefully, it will be through dialogue.
How about you do your part to save the country and answer these questions....

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857489 Feb 11, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Not paying income taxes excuses you from paying for what the government spends. How about everyone who voted for Obama start paying th9ier fair share of the income taxes?
Now, back to an issue you run away from:
Tell us about those subsidies to oil companies. You still haven't done that. Or, is that just another of the propaganda lies you get indoctrinated with at your indoctrination sessions?
Tell us about those oil subsidies.
(Reagan hater.)

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#857490 Feb 11, 2013
The rights specified in the Constitution had already been described in works of philosophy before the Constitution was compiled. The founding fathers were very, very well educated. They had read these works of philosophy, and they didn't need an interpreter like some bullshit so-called "progressive" to tell them what it meant. They were educated, which meant then they could read the works in the language it was written in, and deduce their own interpretation.
Today, NOBODY in government is that educated. Yet, like probably the most ignorant person in our government today, Obama, they claim to have the answers and have the ability to interpretet the Constitution for us.
The Constitution does not need interpretation. It was written so the average person can easily read and comprehend it. It needs only enforcement.

If you disagree, please post some text from the Constitution you think is difficult to understand.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#857491 Feb 11, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
(Reagan hater.)
Tell us about those subsidies to oil companies. You still haven't done that. Or, is that just another of the propaganda lies you get indoctrinated with at your indoctrination sessions?
Tell us about those oil subsidies.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857492 Feb 11, 2013
The Ignorance Caucus

Last week Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, gave what his office told us would be a major policy speech. And we should be grateful for the heads-up about the speech’s majorness. Otherwise, a read of the speech might have suggested that he was offering nothing more than a meager, warmed-over selection of stale ideas.

To be sure, Mr. Cantor tried to sound interested in serious policy discussion. But he didn’t succeed — and that was no accident. For these days his party dislikes the whole idea of applying critical thinking and evidence to policy questions. And no, that’s not a caricature: Last year the Texas G.O.P. explicitly condemned efforts to teach “critical thinking skills,” because, it said, such efforts “have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.”

And such is the influence of what we might call the ignorance caucus that even when giving a speech intended to demonstrate his openness to new ideas, Mr. Cantor felt obliged to give that caucus a shout-out, calling for a complete end to federal funding of social science research. Because it’s surely a waste of money seeking to understand the society we’re trying to change.

Want other examples of the ignorance caucus at work? Start with health care, an area in which Mr. Cantor tried not to sound anti-intellectual; he lavished praise on medical research just before attacking federal support for social science.(By the way, how much money are we talking about? Well, the entire National Science Foundation budget for social and economic sciences amounts to a whopping 0.01 percent of the budget deficit.)

But Mr. Cantor’s support for medical research is curiously limited. He’s all for developing new treatments, but he and his colleagues have adamantly opposed “comparative effectiveness research,” which seeks to determine how well such treatments work.

What they fear, of course, is that the people running Medicare and other government programs might use the results of such research to determine what they’re willing to pay for. Instead, they want to turn Medicare into a voucher system and let individuals make decisions about treatment. But even if you think that’s a good idea (it isn’t), how are individuals supposed to make good medical choices if we ensure that they have no idea what health benefits, if any, to expect from their choices?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/opinion/kru... ;

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857493 Feb 11, 2013
Still, the desire to perpetuate ignorance on matters medical is nothing compared with the desire to kill climate research, where Mr. Cantor’s colleagues — particularly, as it happens, in his home state of Virginia — have engaged in furious witch hunts against scientists who find evidence they don’t like. True, the state has finally agreed to study the growing risk of coastal flooding; Norfolk is among the American cities most vulnerable to climate change. But Republicans in the State Legislature have specifically prohibited the use of the words “sea-level rise.”

And there are many other examples, like the way House Republicans tried to suppress a Congressional Research Service report casting doubt on claims about the magical growth effects of tax cuts for the wealthy.

Do actions like this have important effects? Well, consider the agonized discussions of gun policy that followed the Newtown massacre. It would be helpful to these discussions if we had a good grasp of the facts about firearms and violence. But we don’t, because back in the 1990s conservative politicians, acting on behalf of the National Rifle Association, bullied federal agencies into ceasing just about all research into the issue. Willful ignorance matters.

O.K., at this point the conventions of punditry call for saying something to demonstrate my evenhandedness, something along the lines of “Democrats do it too.” But while Democrats, being human, often read evidence selectively and choose to believe things that make them comfortable, there really isn’t anything equivalent to Republicans’ active hostility to collecting evidence in the first place.

The truth is that America’s partisan divide runs much deeper than even pessimists are usually willing to admit; the parties aren’t just divided on values and policy views, they’re divided over epistemology. One side believes, at least in principle, in letting its policy views be shaped by facts; the other believes in suppressing the facts if they contradict its fixed beliefs.

In her parting shot on leaving the State Department, Hillary Clinton said of her Republican critics,“They just will not live in an evidence-based world.” She was referring specifically to the Benghazi controversy, but her point applies much more generally. And for all the talk of reforming and reinventing the G.O.P., the ignorance caucus retains a firm grip on the party’s heart and mind.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/opinion/kru... ;

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Taxpayer

Point Harbor, NC

#857494 Feb 11, 2013
GOPIdiots wrote:
<quoted text>
or you could just call them winners of Presidential elections.
Really chaps your ass doesn't it?
Loser.
Thanks for voting Hilter into office. The murderer of Americans.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#857495 Feb 11, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
the things you find on right wing sites.....
Douglas County’s GOP Blocks GA Black Republican Chair from being a County Delegate
This story comes to us courtesy of Erick’s old stomping grounds at Peach Pundit. Apparently, 1st Vice Chair of the Douglas County Republican Part Michael McNeely, who is also the Chairman of the Georgia Black Republican Council, has been blocked from being a delegate to the county’s GOP Convention by county GOP Board Member Jack Gamel. Peach Pundit links to this post from Constant Contact, where Bryan Tolar, 3rd Vice Chairman of the DCGOP, tells us:
At the Mirror Lake precinct table today, Douglas County GOP Board Member Jack Gamel led an effort to refuse Michael McNeely (a strong conservative and 1st Vice-Chair of the Douglas County GOP) a precinct delegate spot. There were 15 delegate slots available and only five people present, yet Jack insisted in his action. Jack’s petty old white man politics targeted one of the rising African American stars of Georgia and National GOP leaders. By a 3-2 vote, Jack’s efforts were successful.
Charlie from Peach Pundit, meanwhile, adds this:
I spoke to Michael McNeely today by phone. He told me that Mr. Gamel told him that his exclusion was because McNeely ran against Gamel’s friend Terry Baggett last term for First Vice-Chair of the Douglas County Party – a position that Mr. McNeely won. So, in the pettyness that is county party politics, we have a man at the precinct level who chose to block his county’s First Vice Chairman from being a delegate to his county’s convention out of what appears to be a petty act of revenge.
As Peach Pundit notes, none of this was against the rules, but this nevertheless is establishment politics at its worst. A conservative candidate (McNeely) dares to run against the guy hand-picked by a party boss, and as a consequence, the conservative gets hit with payback and shut out of the process.
Mr. McNeely’s race should be irrelevant to this discussion, but the optics here are not good nevertheless. The GOP already has enough of a problem with its reputation as the party of “old white men”, so what better way for us to live up to that image than by excluding a conservative black man from a county convention! It only looks worse when you consider the fact that McNeely is the Chairman of the Georgia Black Republican Council!
Nice job, guys.
Oh, but it gets worse. As Peach Pundit notes:
At a time when the Republican Party is desparately trying to figure out how to reach out to non-white voters, McNeely and his wife (who was not in attendence but was nominated to be a delegate) were excluded by a vote of 3-2. Three white votes were for exclusion; Two African American votes were for inclusion.
http://www.redstate.com/2013/02/11/douglas-co...
Thank you for your defense of the TEA Party. Those RINO Democrats need to be pointed out.
Again, the TEA Party thanks you for identifying another RINO.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857496 Feb 11, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us about those subsidies to oil companies. You still haven't done that. Or, is that just another of the propaganda lies you get indoctrinated with at your indoctrination sessions?
Tell us about those oil subsidies.
A fossil fuel subsidy is any government action that lowers the cost of fossil fuel energy production, raises the price received by energy producers or lowers the price paid by energy consumers. There are a lot of activities under this simple definition—tax breaks and giveaways, but also loans at favorable rates, price controls, purchase requirements and a whole lot of other things.

n the United States, credible estimates of annual fossil fuel subsidies range from $10 billion to $52 billion annually, while even efforts to remove small portions of those subsidies have been defeated in Congress, as shown in the graphic below.

President Obama has proposed cutting fossil fuel subsidies every year he’s been in office. The projections for savings have varied slightly each year but always hover around $4 billion annually. Congress has never even proposed voting on all of them.

http://priceofoil.org/fossil-fuel-subsidies/

anything else that your ignorance extends to that you need explained? always happy to do it for you.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857497 Feb 11, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your defense of the TEA Party. Those RINO Democrats need to be pointed out.
Again, the TEA Party thanks you for identifying another RINO.
old white guys who've been playing the GOP racism game for 40 years are RINOS?

but it's nice to see the Tea Party pointing out racism in the GOP.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857498 Feb 11, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for voting Hilter into office. The murderer of Americans.
you're off message.

the Right loves drones.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Nj raider 1

United States

#857499 Feb 11, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>These men support your right to bear arms: Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton. These men oppose your right to bear arms: Hitler, Castro, Stalin, Amin, Lenin, Obama. Who do you trust?
The fact that you & DB writer can overlook all the negatives in the constitution speaks volumes of the kind of POS the both of you are. I damn sure don't trust any of the racist you named & none of the rest of the people you named had any direct bearing on America besides President Obama & he did nothing to warrant distrust from me. You people are cowards! Can't sleep at night without an AR-15 under the pillow! A bunch of fear mongering blind assholes that looks into the past to gain insight on the future. How does it feel living in a world of hypotheticals?

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Taxpayer

Point Harbor, NC

#857501 Feb 11, 2013
GOPIdiots wrote:
<quoted text>
Dropped out after 8th grade? That explains a lot.
///"To stop are enemy’s from using the government "////
Could you be any more stupid?
Typical Boob Tube communist minded Socialist statement. You can not Dispute the obvious fact that you have fail in life and want the government to steal for you.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#857502 Feb 11, 2013
Nj raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> The fact that you & DB writer can overlook all the negatives in the constitution speaks volumes of the kind of POS the both of you are. I damn sure don't trust any of the racist you named & none of the rest of the people you named had any direct bearing on America besides President Obama & he did nothing to warrant distrust from me. You people are cowards! Can't sleep at night without an AR-15 under the pillow! A bunch of fear mongering blind assholes that looks into the past to gain insight on the future. How does it feel living in a world of hypotheticals?
Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it like you. You still have not answered the question?

These men support your right to bear arms: Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton. These men oppose your right to bear arms: Hitler, Castro, Stalin, Amin, Lenin, Obama. Who do you trustNj raider 1?

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Nov 09

Pharr, TX

#857503 Feb 11, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to put content in you rpost. I'll help you correct your mistake. Here's the post again:
Monday morning. I guess it's time for you to do your usual clumsy dance and run away from answering these questions.
We still haven't gotten an answer to these questions:
Where was Obama during the 7-hour battle between Al Qaeda and the stripped-down American embassy security detatchment in Benghazi while the White House watched Al Qaeda kill Americans on the real-time video feed?
Why did Obama lie for two weeks covering up the Al Qaeda attack on the United States?
Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?
And, a new question:
Joe Biden says the government can infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Where is the text in the Constitution that gives the government the authority to infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms?
And, another question:
Eric Holder says the government can determine who in the United States is allowed to have a firearm. Where is the text in the Constitution that gives the government the authority to decide who in the United States is allowed to own a firearm?
The questions that Democrats can't, or won't answer just keeps growing.
The answer to the first two questions may describe treason.
If the third question isn't answered, the government collapses and the existence of the United States comes to an end.
The answer to the last two questions may describe the establishment of an unconstitutional dictatorship.
These questions will ultimately be answered. Hopefully, it will be through dialogue.
How about you do your part to save the country and answer these questions....
Here's an analogy I've used that you may have missed:
Three drunks are sitting in a bar, Galt, waxturd and DBWriter. Waxturd says to Galt, "I don't have any friends so I'm going to buy drinks all night for everyone in the bar and maybe someone will like me. Will you pay for it?". Galt says, "Sure I will.". When the tab comes DBWriter, who has been listening to all this says, "I wonder where waxturd is going to get the money to pay for all those drinks?".

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Taxpayer

Point Harbor, NC

#857504 Feb 11, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
you're off message.
the Right loves drones.
The Fascist love drones
WAXTURDS IS FLORIDUH

Phoenix, AZ

#857505 Feb 11, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it like you. You still have not answered the question?
These men support your right to bear arms: Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton. These men oppose your right to bear arms: Hitler, Castro, Stalin, Amin, Lenin, Obama. Who do you trustNj raider 1?
Its the culcha.
Nj raider 1

United States

#857506 Feb 11, 2013
F ck the constitution! The mere fact that you people think a piece of paper written over 200yrs ago can guide America into this unknown future is retarded in itself. How can America ever have peace & equality living under thee rules of another time/ history where in life was far from equal & thee writers of that old ass paper of rules were racist themselves. It's true, you people are stupid & & slave minded!

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#857507 Feb 11, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
The Fascist love drones
correct!

Fox Analyst Defends Drones: If An American Takes Up Arms Against Fellow Citizens,‘You Kill The Sucker, Period’

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-analyst-defend...

it's nice to see nutjobs pointing out Fascism in the GOP.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 21 min RACE 100,634
abby8-31-15 23 min RACE 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 50 min _Zoey_ 6,421
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 54 min Rogue Scholar 05 196,892
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 2 hr Lexus1985 465
abby 8-28-15 2 hr RACE 6
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 2 hr Lexus1985 1,720
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages