miracles do happen and as often the case young starry eyed liberals go out in the real world and find out that holding hands and singing kumbya doesn't really solve problems. they also may come to realize that equal opportunity can be squandered due to the need for instant gratification, which leads to persistently poor decisions and generational dependency on the governmdent. here is one former lib who like a moth to a butterfly, has evolved into being not-PC, because it makes sense.<quoted text>95% of Obama followers are ignorant, the other 5% keep you that way. When you blame other people for the things that go wrong in your miserable life, remember this..... Things will continue to go wrong in your miserable life.
'Work: The only answer to poverty
Programs that rely on handouts have failed time and again
Today, America spends over $600 billion a year on welfare and poverty-related programs. They do not work. They create, rather than lessen, dependency.
For just $155 billion, we could establish a proven, subsidized employment program in the private sector and Works Progress Administration-type effort that would employ 11 million dependent individuals. These jobs could pay a salary of $20,000, lifting millions of families out of poverty.
Besides the fact that this would save a lot of money, work is the best solution for poverty. I know this because it has been my life’s work.
In 1965, I enlisted in the War on Poverty. A battalion of young, optimistic soldiers began to lay siege to the forces that created what we considered victims of America’s capitalistic system. We were true believers, crusaders for the eradication of need.
At the time, the U.S. poverty rate was 15.2%, with more than 20 million people living below the poverty line.
Fast forward to last year, when the poverty rate was 15.1% and more than 40 million people (including 15 million children) were living in poverty.
From the time I started out, we had spent $19 trillion to end poverty — and had failed even to reduce it.
What went wrong?
For answers, we must look at the two pet strategies for solving the problem: income redistribution and government-run poverty programs. It seems Draconian to oppose giving a financial handout to a person in need. But history has proven handouts simply do not work.
Welfare, which started out as a tiny program to help the widows of miners, became a geyser of cash that created an underclass, mostly of single mothers dependent on the government to survive.
Work was discouraged; having children out of wedlock was no longer frightening, because it meant a check in the mail every month. Dependency and illegitimacy prevailed. Not until 1996, when the welfare laws were overhauled and a time limit was placed on cash assistance, did work become a priority. The welfare rolls dropped by more than 60%.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/work-answe...