Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 39,407)

Showing posts 788,121 - 788,140 of1,036,660
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
History 101

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

History 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I hit a sore nerve again, debil?
It's almost like a badge of honor that my posts - more than anyone else's - grate on you so much.
Huh? Oh no, baby, I tol' you a million times I can smell weak links. I know you it as much as I know there is no god and that the secret of the universe lies in that precious vial between a beautiful woman's legs. You not grate on me one l'il bit, honey. Carry on. I been doin' this shit fo' years, carol, there literally dozens of women use to be in here who won't even go online no mo' thanks to my efforts. I an expert at this shit... not that I like talkin' about it, mind you...

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are denying that there are any oil industry subsidies?
Yes. to my knowledge the government doesn't give oil companies any money other than when buying their products. In fact the federal government make twice as much on the oil companies product than do the oil companies. Not counting states and local taxes.
Truth is no SIN

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Reginald Daniel is Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is well qualified to write on the politics of the multiracial movement, being a member of the advisory boards of both the AMEA (American Association of Multiethnic Americans) and Project RACE (Reclassify All Children Equally). The AMEA was founded in 1986 by Carlos Fernández, then president of I-Pride of Berkeley, and John Brown, a member of the Interracial Family Alliance of Atlanta. Project RACE was founded in 1991 by two mothers of biracial children, Susan Graham and Chris Ashe. Both organizations achieved national status, lobbying with moderate success to make Americans aware of multiracial consciousness. But they fought over the two ways of collecting data about multiracial people’s self-label: the check-all-boxes-that-apply approach (eventually adopted by the U.S. census 2000) and adding a separate box for “multiracial”(adopted by many state school boards). Dr. Daniel’s self-described role as “liaison between the two organizations”(p. 137) puts him in a perfect position to tells us about their feud.
The book is divided into four sections. Part I “White Over Black” tells the author’s ideas about the historical origins of racism. Part II “Black No More” describes his thoughts on the beginnings of the Jim Crow era. Part III “More Than Black” narrates the political struggle of the last decade for a multiracial label. Part IV “Black No More or More than Black?” connects the multiracial movement to the ideas of postmodernists like Foucault and Derrida or to postcolonialists like Chakrabarty and Said.
Part I “White Over Black” traces racism to when Europeans conquered the planet in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries. He says that racist ideology is what fueled Eurocentrism (a sense that The Other is inferior) and so justified European conquests. He says that New World colonists enforced “the one-drop rule in order to preserve both their cultural and racial ‘purity’ and their dominant status”(p. 3).
Part II “Black No More” narrates the strategies adopted by fair-complexioned Americans of partial African descent as they tried to survive the Jim Crow nightmare: elitist colorism (as in blue-vein societies like the former Jack and Jill), Creolization (as in Louisiana), the formation of tri-racial isolates (such as the Kentucky Melungeons, Arkansas Redbones, North Carolina Lumbees, or Florida Seminoles), or simply by switching labels and “passing.” Dr. Daniel apparently dislikes these unfortunates, for he labels their strategies “psychosocial pathology”(p. 111),“insidious toxins in the racial ecology”(p. 8),“fraudulent,” and “racial thieves”(p. 83).
Part III “More Than Black” is a gripping narrative of the fierce struggle (involving AMEA, Project RACE, federal agencies, and traditional Black organizations) between those who wanted to legitimize a modern-day “multiracial” self-label and those who wanted to crush such a concept out of existence as a threat to Black political/spiritual solidarity. It tells how well-intentioned organizations often worked at cross-purposes, how compromises were agreed to but then reneged on, how federal agencies were ordered to give an illusion of unanimity, and how organization members tried (sometimes successfully) to overthrow the leadership of competing organizations.
Truth is no SIN

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Part IV “Black No More or More than Black?” reveals Dr. Daniel’s conviction that postmodernism is an intellectual “violent seismic shift” comparable to that of the Enlightenment (p. 181). He believes that its deconstructionist ideology is now sweeping the world, increasingly embraced by “physicists, philosophers, logicians, linguists, social scientists, administrators, foreign policy analysts, and engineers,” as well as “new age” gurus (p. 184). He considers the modern multiracial movement to be an offspring of postmodernism or postcolonialism. Hence, he believes that the current multiracial effort is a praiseworthy struggle—in contrast to the “psychosocial pathology” of historically earlier people who saw themselves as multiracial. Although today’s multiracial movement risks playing into the hands of racist White society and threatens Black solidarity, Dr. Daniel concludes that “such a transformation in thought and behavior would move the United States closer to the ideal of a land of equal opportunity for all.”
Evaluation
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

What's this? hillaryclintonoffice.com
History 101

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

History 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you would, debil. You'd kill me and anyone else who got under your skin the way I do, wouldn't you?
Do you have any brown shirts hanging in your closet by any chance?
Go think about what you jus' said.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

History 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, DB, since you asked, I have a question: Since the "war" in Iraq was a complete fabrication designed to allow the Bush Administration to funnel cash to its corporate family friends and those of Carlisle Group; and, given that we lost the war miserably after killing 600,000+ Iraqis for no reason, and given that there were never any weapons of mass destruction nor did anything remotely resembling democracy did we import with the bushels of cash we paid to the very people who were trying to kill us after we invaded their country, was the Surge a success or a failure. It's a yes or no question.
Disagree
Spam

How about something other than the indoctrinated party line mantra bullshit lies? You may have to think for yourself to come up with something... like it would be the stupidest thing in the world to leave Saddam Hussein in our rear with a rebuilt war machine while we concentrated all of our forces to do the exact same thing in the exact same place against the exact same enemy as the Soviets.

Let's ask all the Iraqis with blue die on their fingers to show the Islamist terrorists throughout Iraq that Iraq is a democracy.
Obviously, it was a success.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
And, just as obviously, Obama is sabotaging Iraq.
Truth is no SIN

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

T

he U.S. federal census was founded to apportion congressional representation among the states. In order to achieve additional goals, it switched in 1850 from recording households in summary, to recording individuals in detail. It became self-administered in 1960 to reduce costs. It has always been a political instrument of the administration in power. Today, the census encourages identity politics and so wavers between the goal of capturing “race” as a form of ethnic self-identity, and the equally desired but conflicting goal of capturing “race” as involuntary physical trait.

This brief history covers three major topics: The Changes of 1850 and 1960, Politics and Confidentiality, andThe “Race” Question. The third topic, the history of the “race” question, is then presented in six sub-topics:Changes in “Racial” Terminology, Changes in “Racial” Categories, Changes in “Racial” Criteria, Changes in Stated “Racial” Goals, The Religion Question Controversy of 1956, and The Legality of Refusal.

Politics and Confidentiality
Since 1850, Americans have lamented that the census has fallen from being an objective scientific data-collection instrument to being a propaganda tool of the administration. In fact, the census has never been objective. From the very first census that took on expanded goals beyond congressional apportionment (that of 1850), the census has been used to further the administration’s political aims. Indeed, the records of debates surrounding the census’s 1850 expansion suggest that its potential use as propaganda tool was one of the reasons why Congress expanded its mission.(1)

In 1850, following administration directives, the census bureau published reports that Afro-Euro intermarriage produced insane and feeble-minded children. At the time, the nation’s elite believed that intermarriage would destroy U.S. society.(2)

During the 1930s, following administration directives, the census bureau published frequent false reports that unemployment was falling and the economy was recovering. At the time, the administration believed it vital to convince the electorate that the Great Depression was coming to an end.(3)

During World War II, The Second War Powers Act explicitly voided census confidentiality. Following administration directives, the census bureau provided the FBI and local law enforcement with the names and addresses of American citizens of Japanese ancestry, so that they could be rounded up and sent to concentration camps.(4) Nevertheless, the broken promise of confidentiality continued to be promulgated. The administration believed it vital to convince the electorate that census data was confidential while, in fact, using it to target certain citizens.

Over the past decade, the Patriot Act explicitly voided census confidentiality. From 2002 to 2004, following administration directives, the census bureau routinely handed census records on Arab-Americans over to Homeland Security, so that these U.S. citizens could be monitored for disloyalty.(5) Nevertheless, the broken promise of confidentiality continues to be promulgated. The administration believes it vital to convince the electorate that census data is confidential while, in fact, using it to target certain citizens.
History 101

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

It's very, very difficult to get under my skin, carol. Nobody's done it in decades. That's because of Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry. They taught me this: "Man's got to know his limitations," and I do. Now, here's the thing, carol: a woman does too.

It's probably better if you stop tryin' to play Dale Evans to my Roy-Rodgers-just-after-Trigger -died. Save yourself a lot of grief, girl.
TSM

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

We told you SO !!
President Obama's health care law will push 7 million people out of their job-based insurance coverage — nearly twice the previous estimate, according to the latest estimates from the Congressional Budget Office released Tuesday!!
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Yes. to my knowledge the government doesn't give oil companies any money other than when buying their products. In fact the federal government make twice as much on the oil companies product than do the oil companies. Not counting states and local taxes.
Tax breaks on a grand scale amount to subsidies, we could go on for weeks about energy/oil company tax beaks and barely scratch the surface.

That oil companies aren't subsidized by government at all levels is a right wing myth.
Nj raider 1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Truth is no SIN wrote:
<quoted text>Three Fifths Compromise definitions
Definition Sets
1 the agreement by which the number of each state's representatives in congress would be based on a count of all the free people plus three-fifths of the slaves 1,308 sets
2 agreement at the constitutional convention that 3/5 of the slaves in any state be counted in its population 588 sets
3 agreement providing that enslaved persons would count as three-fifths of other persons in determining representation in congress 285 sets
4 compromise between northern and southern states at the constitutional convention that three-fifths of the slave population would be counted for determining direct taxation and representation in the house of representatives. 199 sets
5 an agreement at the constitutional convention to count a slave as three-fifths of a person when determining the population of a state 152 sets
6 called for counting three-fifths of the slave population for representation and taxation 93 sets
7 the agreement by which the number of each state's representatives in congress would be based on a count of all the free people plus three-fifths of the slaves. 64 sets
8 the constitutional convention's agreement to count three-fifths of a state's slaves as population for purposes of representation and taxation 61 sets
9 agreement that each slave counted as three-fifths of a person in determining representation in the house for representation and taxation purposes (negated by the 13th amendment) 59 sets
10 agreement reached at the constitutional convention stipulating that each slave was to be counted as three-fifths of a person for purposes of determining population for representation in the u.s. house of representatives. 55 sets
11 agreement that three-fifths of a state's slave population would be counted for representation and taxation 39 sets
12 agreement providing that enslaved persons would count as three-fifths of other persons in determining representation in congress. 36 sets
13 an agreement at the constitutional convention to count a slave as three-fifths of a person when determining the population of a state. 31 sets
14 a compromise between northern and southern states that broke the deadlock over how slaves should be counted for purposes of representation. three fifths of slaves would be included in population totals, benefiting southern states that had the largest concentration of slaves by inflating their representation in the house of representatives. 30 sets
15 the compromise between northern and southern states at the constitutional convention that three-fifths of the slave population would be counted for determining direct taxation and representation in the house of representatives. 24 sets
16 the formula for counting five slaves as three people for purposes of representation that reconciled northern and southern factions at the constitutional convention 22 sets
17 agreement at the constitutional convention that three fifths of the slaves in any state be counted in its population 22 sets
After all that writing I'm quite sure you realize where you went wrong. This is not the 1800s & black people are not slaves. Surely not when there's a black president! Have you researched General Monk Monk? It's a good read, you might learn something!
Truth is no SIN

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Changes in “Racial” Criteria
Before 1960, when census takers assigned people to the approved “races,” the rules for classifying people were not always clear. Nevertheless, it appears that census takers probably followed “racial” classification rules in effect in their society at the time, as reflected in court cases. They seem to have employed four different methods of assigning “racial” membership: appearance, blood fraction, association, and the one-drop rule.

Until about 1820, most people in authority were guided by a person’s physical appearance. If you looked White to the census-taker, then you were White (for example, Sally Hemings’s son Eston). But if you looked Black then you were Black (like Eston’s brother James). From 1830 until about 1890, blood fraction or association decided the issue. If most of your ancestors were White and you were accepted as White in society, then the census-taker classified you as White. Finally, from around the turn of the twentieth century to today, the one-drop rule of invisible Blackness emerged and gradually replaced all other methods. If you had any known African ancestry, no matter how slight, then you were involuntarily classified as Black.(16)

Since 1960, as mentioned earlier, Americans have interpreted the census “race” question as asking about voluntary ethnic self-identity. The wording of the 2000 census instructions probably encouraged this interpretation. It ordered,“indicate what this person considers himself/herself to be”[emphasis mine].(17)

Forbidden by Congress from removing the “other” choice entirely, the Census Bureau sought a different way of forcing Americans to take the “race” question seriously. As mentioned, to meet their mission, they needed to discourage the millions who in 2000 checked off “other” and wrote in something frivolous, like “human.” The solution was to remove the “considers” instruction in 2010. The census no longer allows one to select the “race” that a “person considers himself/herself to be.” Instead, it now demands to know what “is the person’s race.” This, however, led to a dilemma. On the one hand,“race” is no longer a matter of choice but on the other hand, the instructions no longer say just what criteria are to be used.(18)
History 101

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Long as your ass is clean. Tha's where I draw the line.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar.
Plame's job was to oversee the council whose job it was to get verification of the intel
My God you are really getting dumber every f*cking GD day. No wonder you post the same stupid question over & over as slobber drips from your chin.
Your buddy used intel that was not confirmed.
And really, the GD CRA excuse again. My God, you really are more Texan than normal today.( For those not aware, Dumbwaiter said Texans have so may minimum wage jobs because Texans are ignorant uneducated dumbasses)
Director of Operations for the CIA’s Joint Task Force on Iraq

I wonder what the responsibilities for that job are....
Let's ask Valerie Plame. It was her last job before Robert Novak outed her.

Valerie Plame is responsible for any and all intelligence given to Bush on the status of WMD programs in Iraq prior to fighting the war the Arabs started there.

Director of Operations for the CIA’s Joint Task Force on Iraq.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

History 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
But it probably doesn't. The whole jesus, reincarnation thing is CLEARLY just a pile of wishful crap. It's like that pretty girl at the prom who asked you to take her virginity but your mom told you to be home by ten and when you went back the next day and asked the same girl if she had time now she pretended like she didn't know who you were. It woulda made some sense if you'd pulled it off after a hundred years or so, but carpe deo I always say.
Did I say anything about Jesus or religion clown?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree
Spam
How about something other than the indoctrinated party line mantra bullshit lies? You may have to think for yourself to come up with something... like it would be the stupidest thing in the world to leave Saddam Hussein in our rear with a rebuilt war machine while we concentrated all of our forces to do the exact same thing in the exact same place against the exact same enemy as the Soviets.
Let's ask all the Iraqis with blue die on their fingers to show the Islamist terrorists throughout Iraq that Iraq is a democracy.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
The Treasury Dept.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
"911 what is your emergency"
"Some guy broke in my home & stole my TV"
" Is he still there?"
"No he left"
"We'll send someone over to file a report in the morning"
Is he still there?

I DON'T F**K*NG KNOW. I'M HIDING IN THE CLOSET HOPING HE DOESN'T COME LOOKING IN HERE. GET YOUR LAZY ASSES OVER HERE AND DO YOUR GODDAM JOB AND YOU MAKE SURE HE'S NOT STILL HERE. THAT'S WHAT I PAY YOU TO DO.
History 101

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree
Spam
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
Let the record show that the texas coward known as DB refused to answer the question. Probably a marine.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

History 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably the same way you know the Marine Corp isn't just a group of 14 year olds in a tree house playing with a gun and a Playboy they found in their father's closet. Say. that guy in Texas who just shot the SEAL was a Marine, waren't he? Whatta guy! Whatta service!
What would you know about it, coxucker.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 788,121 - 788,140 of1,036,660
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

62 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 min Catfish Hunter 96,269
Abby 4-23 21 min PEllen 29
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min Jacques from Ottawa 167,716
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 29 min _Zoey_ 4,040
Amy 4-23 48 min cheluzal 40
8 shot across Chicago in less than seven hours 1 hr hands on AR 4
Homeowner shooting dead two teens who broke int... 1 hr hands on AR 4
ask amy 4-22 7 hr Sublime1 69
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••