Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
788,101 - 788,120 of 1,098,710 Comments Last updated 15 min ago
Jane Says

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Steyn on Europe's weakness

John Keegan, the great military historian, said that a nation without a military is in a sense no longer a nation. One of the few remaining serious second-tier powers is now joining their ranks: Under the "Conservative" premiership of David Cameron, a nation that within living memory governed a fifth of the earth's surface and a quarter of its population and provided what global order there was for much of the rest will have a military incapable of independent force projection. Were the Argies to seize the Falklands today, Her Majesty's Government would have to content itself with going to the U.N. and getting a strong resolution. Were the toppling of Saddam to be attempted today, Britain would be incapable of reprising the role it played eight years ago of holding down the lower third of Iraq all but singlehanded while the Yanks pressed on to Baghdad.

But beyond that, in a more general sense, nations that abandon their militaries tend also to abandon their national interests: Increasingly, instead of policies, they have attitudes. "Global warming" "saving" the planet is the perfect preoccupation for the ever-more-refined sensibilities of the post-national nation.

While Europe slept in & slept around, new powers emerged. China and India, on course to be the world's top 2 economies within a couple of decades, both act as more or less conventional nation-states. So too do Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and many lesser players. We live on a planet in which the wealthiest societies in history, from Norway to New Zealand, are incapable of defending their own borders while basket cases like North Korea and Pakistan have gone nuclear, and Sudan and Somalia are anxious to follow.

Whatever supple lies it may tell itself, a rich nation that cannot bother keeping up an army is retreating not only from imperialism & conquest but also from greatness. Continentals enjoy more paid leisure time than anybody else, yet they produce less and less great art, music, literature. A land of universal welfare invariably universalizes mediocrity.

Whether Greece defaults or gets bailed out one mo' time doesn't really matter: It's insolvent & there isn't enough money in Germany to obscure that fact indefinitely. The longer "political reality" tries to dodge real reality, the bloodier the eventual reacquaintance will be. Europeans are going to have to relearn impulses 3 generations of Continentals have learned to regard as hopelessly vulgar. Can they do that? A land of 30-year-old students and 50-year-old retirees has so thoroughly diverted the great stream of life that it barely comprehends what's at stake. "Europe" as a geopolitical rather than geographical concept has been for half a century the most conventional of conventional wisdom. Those, like Britain's Euroskeptics, who dissented from it were derided as "swivel-eyed" "loony tunes." The loons were right, and the smart set the political class, the universities, the BBC, Le Monde were wrong. "Europe" was a blueprint for sclerosis and decline, and then a sudden, devastating fall. As the "loony tunes" could have told them, it ends with, "That's all, folks."

Mark Steyn

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuculur option wrote:
You just made that up, liar!!
Prove it, for once.
All you do is post unsupported bullshit.
The legislation died in the House, dummy. The Republiclown House.
<quoted text>
Why do you cry when I ask people to prove things?
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
You're welcome (that was truly an insightful one!)

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

I see another deranged 'liberal with a gun' is on the rampage in LA, true to form.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a romance here last evening!!
Emaam and Ignorant Majority, a match made in Hades!!
HAHAHAHA
Get real, I'm already married DUHmmy.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>You can't tell the truth to save your life, right?
Are you goading me, sir?

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

John Brennan will NOT agree that waterboarding is torture, no matter how hard Carl Levin wants him to.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Nuculur option wrote:
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm on board...They can't put us all in jail, right?
<quoted text>
Time for you two mutts to get a room!!
HAHAHAHA
Funny how the truly clueless manage to find each other!!
"This isn't a dating site" it's a nothing but cheezey wit duh WHINE site-fleabrain.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Is UAE now the 51st state?
Nope.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

WHY DOES OBAMA LOOK LIKE PRESIDENT BUSH IN THE CSPAN VIDEO WITH Dr. CARSON OBAMA IS LOOKING MORE LIKE HIS COUSIN AS THE DAYS GO BY

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
You can post all the Wikipedia opinion (not fact) that you want, but it doesn't change the fact the the American left presently sides with those who are dedicated to killing all Jews.
that is fact which is why I posted it, but it doesnt fit you agenda
and the Right doesnt want anyone to realize that their views are common with the Nazi's and the Fascist just like the Left doesnt like the Idea that their views are more in common with Lenin's veiws.

Why Do Most American Jews Vote Democrat?
By John Giokaris

http://www.policymic.com/debates/5183#comment...
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do rightwingers hate slippers? What do you hop out of bed and throw on a pair of army boots and your camo outfit, ready to greet the day? Sure I have a pair of slippers, some days I wear em some days I do not. Rightwingers are retarded.
That reminds me of another storweetime storwee lol
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Dunno where Smith and Flynn might be going, I suppose of they let Vick go then they might bring in one or the other in Philly to fight for the job, I think Flynn has the better upside, I was never sold on Smith and apparently neither was Harbaugh. I am starting to agree on Schaub, he's had plenty of chances to shine but can't seem to get it done. I expect the Giants will be better next year along with the Saints, Payton is one of the best coaches out there. I think Washington sinks back to the bottom with RG3 out for an extended time and the Cowboys will never win with Romo. I don't follow college as much, try and see most of the Rutgers games though. Am disappointed with the lack of good bowl games all day long on New Year's Day, that was a great tradition.
Vick is perfect for Philadelphia, typical of the city and its moral character.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The better students take algebra in 7th or 8th grade, not in high school. But remedial algebra may be taught in high school.
Ah fond memories ...of Cruel and unusual punishment :-).

Storwee time number two...a gaggle of jr highers, a locked classroom door..and a shiny headed algebra teacher who met the drippings of a water balloon above it one day...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>WTF is that? NG is cheap presently because it's become plentiful, that doesn't mean that the future won't include wind, solar and wave technology. And one more time the costs for electricity varies by region of the nation and then region of the globe. It ain't all about yours or Flack's self centered azzes pal, there are people in faraway places that can no longer afford electricity generated by fossil fuels__and you don't have to look very far.
Everybody thinks wind energy is "free', but that is far from the truth. And wind and/or solar power always requires backup fossil or nuclear capacity. Unless you don't mind the lights going out.
Bobby Browneye

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Is pr going to be a real state? If so we should call it bendeholand. If not the deal is off the table
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
that is fact which is why I posted it, but it doesnt fit you agenda
and the Right doesnt want anyone to realize that their views are common with the Nazi's and the Fascist just like the Left doesnt like the Idea that their views are more in common with Lenin's veiws.
Why Do Most American Jews Vote Democrat?
By John Giokaris
http://www.policymic.com/debates/5183#comment...
You creativity sonicfilter, is your lack of intelligence having fun...
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, that scent is the exhaust from the old truck used to deliver the mail out to you hill billies.
Nope-actually it's mule muscle oil rub!

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Dunno where Smith and Flynn might be going, I suppose of they let Vick go then they might bring in one or the other in Philly to fight for the job, I think Flynn has the better upside, I was never sold on Smith and apparently neither was Harbaugh. I am starting to agree on Schaub, he's had plenty of chances to shine but can't seem to get it done. I expect the Giants will be better next year along with the Saints, Payton is one of the best coaches out there. I think Washington sinks back to the bottom with RG3 out for an extended time and the Cowboys will never win with Romo. I don't follow college as much, try and see most of the Rutgers games though. Am disappointed with the lack of good bowl games all day long on New Year's Day, that was a great tradition.
Scarlet Knights. From time to time they put some really good talent on the field.
I think Smith is better than more than half the other quarterbacks around, but it's obvious he wasn't the best in SF. Shaub was riding high until he got exposed in that Monday night game in NE. Since, it looked like the whole team realized it and it had an impact on their motivation.
I agree completely on RG3. We'll see if he can change his style. Redskins need to get some skill-player talent, though.
Romo will always be mediocre.
I look for Andrew Luck to post some impressive wins next year.
Philly... I just don't know what to say. I've always liked them. The Vet was its own municipal judicial district. You just gotta love a fan base as crazy as them.
I'm looking forward to watching the SF-SEA games next year. I don't see another intra-division rivalry as close as that.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Too harsh?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 min TRD 68,323
Amy 8-27 5 min Community Disorga... 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min loose cannon 177,226
Abby 8-27 12 min Community Disorga... 3
Blood on All Our Hands 43 min Truth be told 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 52 min Patriot AKA Bozo 46,242
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr edogxxx 97,876
Amy 8-26 15 hr j_m_w 21

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE