Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#854307 Feb 5, 2013
The Armed Services Committee’s Bizarre Priorities

Gene Healy observes that the Armed Services Committee ignored its oversight responsibilities last week:

Eight hours of questioning by the Senate Armed Services Committee allowed plenty of bloviating, grandstanding and browbeating — but, apparently, not enough time for serious deliberation over key policy questions facing any new Pentagon chief.

On Thursday, Buzzfeed.com tallied up the issues the committee prioritized. In a hearing transcript running to nearly 60,000 words, the word “drone” doesn’t show up even once.

Regardless of what one thinks about Hagel’s nomination, this is what should bother everyone about the spectacle that unfolded last Thursday. Committee members had the opportunity to scrutinize the administration’s conduct of an ongoing foreign war, its use of drones, and its handling of relationships with allies and clients. All of this received cursory treatment when it was brought up at all. Israel received far more attention from members of both parties than the country where U.S. soldiers are still fighting. As Brandon Friedman put it:

It’s difficult to interpret this message any other way: the Senate Armed Services Committee—particularly its Republican membership—is more concerned with the apparent American defense secretary’s relationship with Israel than with the future of Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the fate of U.S. troops engaged in both locations.

No matter what your views on Israel or the U.S.-Israel relationship are, that reflects a bizarre and dangerous set of priorities.

A semi-competent opposition would have used the occasion for oversight instead of wasting time parsing old reports and Al Jazeera interviews to try to catch Hagel in an ideological error. A sane confirmation process would have required that almost all of the committee’s time be spent finding out how well the nominee understood issues relevant to the department he would be managing. Instead, the vast majority of the committee’s time was wasted on ideological litmus tests that served no useful purpose, and the interests of the American public, our military, and the country were all short-changed in the process.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#854308 Feb 5, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you did, you backed off on Afghanastan.
The Democrats had people on committees that had access to the same information Bush had.
You Anti-American Democrats just politicized the wars, plain & simple, scumbag.
You seem extra angry & upset today. Didn't get your welfare check yet?
The CIA is under white House control, dipstick.

George Bush lied to go to war.

I see you;'re still giving people the finger when they aren't looking. How pathetic.

Loysville, PA

#854309 Feb 5, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> You don't.
So you are denying that there are any oil industry subsidies?
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#854310 Feb 5, 2013
World events since the attacks of September 11, 2001 have not only been predicted, but also planned, orchestrated and - as their architects would like to believe - controlled. The current Central Asian war is not a response to terrorism, nor is it a reaction to Islamic fundamentalism. It is in fact, in the words of one of the most powerful men on the planet, the beginning of a final conflict before total world domination by the United States leads to the dissolution of all national governments. This, says Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) member and former Carter National Security Advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski, will lead to nation states being incorporated into a new world order, controlled solely by economic interests as dictated by banks, corporations and ruling elites concerned with the maintenance (by manipulation and war) of their power. As a means of intimidation for the unenlightened reader who happens upon this frightening plan - the plan of the CFR - Brzezinski offers the alternative of a world in chaos unless the U.S. controls the planet by whatever means are necessary and likely to succeed.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#854311 Feb 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
He lost a court ruling saying he could no longer use racial profiling.
Joe, the racist POS. No wonder you right whiners love him.
Just because dumbass Dave says so?
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#854312 Feb 5, 2013
DEMOCRATS ARE ADVISED BY A man who operates with precision and mastery in the dialogue of public policy decision making is Zbigniew Brzezinski; former National Security Advisor to President Carter (a Democrat), co-founder of the Tri-lateral Commission and registered Republican. In his now infamous book titled The Grand Chessboard, published in 1997, Brzezinski laid out the geo-strategic importance of the Middle East and Central Asia as being the regions where the next major global conflict(s) would take place. In this book Brzezinski says the “imperial mobilization” necessary to commandeer the world’s remaining hydrocarbon reserves would be hard to embark upon without a catastrophic and catalyzing event on par with Pearl Harbor.
A group of men who call themselves the “neo-cons” took up Brzezinski’s chessboard and created The Project for a New American Century (PNAC). In 2000 these men took the Whitehouse. The neo-cons also recognized that a “catastrophic and catalyzing event, like a new Pearl Harbor,” would benefit their dreams of imperial mobilization. Well, the new Pearl Harbor they all publicly prayed for came and went, and just as they had predicted, it helped to speed up the process of American imperial mobilization.
But now Brzezinski is singing a much different tune. When Israel embarked on its failed war in Southern Lebanon, Brzezinski publicly stated the following on numerous occasions:
These neocon prescriptions, of which Israel has its equivalents, are fatal for America and ultimately for Israel. They will totally turn the overwhelming majority of the Middle East’s population against the United States. The lessons of Iraq speak for themselves. Eventually, if neo-con policies continue to be pursued, the United States will be expelled from the region and that will be the beginning of the end for Israel as well.
Brzezinski publicly voiced this strong opinion on July 20, 2006 – about one week after Israel invaded Lebanon – at The New American Foundation American Strategy Program, where Daniel Yergin sits on the Board of Directors.

Loysville, PA

#854313 Feb 5, 2013
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
RealDave where’s the Lie?
You said they no longer respond immediately.

That is only the case if the suspects were gone. In the event of a robbery or break in where the suspects are still there, they do respond immediately.

Got it?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#854314 Feb 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The CIA is under white House control
In theory, but who knows?

Loysville, PA

#854315 Feb 5, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not take out Castro with a drone now?
Castro is not putting in missile bases or attacking US interests.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#854316 Feb 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are denying that there are any oil industry subsidies?
Please identify a specific subsidy that is unique to the oil industry.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#854317 Feb 5, 2013
According to this 1998 interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski, the CIA's intervention in Afghanistan preceded the 1979 Soviet invasion. This decision of the Carter Administration in 1979 to intervene and destabilise Afghanistan is the root cause of Afghanistan's destruction as a nation.
M.C.
DEMOCRATS ARE WAR MONGERS

Loysville, PA

#854318 Feb 5, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because dumbass Dave says so?
Are you saying this was not in court?

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#854319 Feb 5, 2013
History 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
She is not an Israeli. Like I said, they will more than likely beat us to it.
But say, Homer, wouldn't you be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the world from a threat like Iran?
Then again, I would have been willing to die to save just one child from Saddam's torture rooms.
Maybe we're just different in that way - believing in a higher and nobler cause.
Is there anything you would be willing to die for? Just curious.
There would be a number of things I'm willing to die for; however, it's difficult to think of any I would be willing to kill for...almost always ends badly (ask Marcus Brutus)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#854320 Feb 5, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the State Department should have revoked Awalikis citizenship before he was killed. That's what this is about.
I think what this is about is now "an informed, high-level official of the U.S. Government" has the authority to order the execution of US citizens. They don't have to bring charges or have any evidence, evidently they just need their good judgement.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#854321 Feb 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
That is only the case if the suspects were gone. In the event of a robbery or break in where the suspects are still there, they do respond immediately.
Got it?
Any place other than Chicago, if the subjects were still there, the police might not be necessary.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#854322 Feb 5, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually it took me about 3 seconds, you must type with 1 finger or possibly your thumb or a toe.
I think Jane types with her asss.
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#854323 Feb 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The CIA is under white House control, dipstick.
George Bush lied to go to war.
I see you;'re still giving people the finger when they aren't looking. How pathetic.
Sure thing lugnut.

I guess Democrats were also.

Baaawwwaaahhhh!!!!!

Moron.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#854324 Feb 5, 2013
A couple of thoughts about the Brzezinski interview below. First, it flatly contradicts the common justification for U.S. actions in Afghanistan during the 1980s: that the U.S. simply aided forces resisting Soviet imperialism. Brzezinski makes clear that the Soviets were baited into sending forces to Afghanistan; thus their actions were defensive. Moreover, the U.S. used the violent Wahhabi (Saudi Arabian) form of Islam to create a monster-movement which plagues the world today. or more on this, see 'Articles Documenting U.S. Creation of Taliban and bin Laden's Terrorist Network' athttp://emperors-clothes.com/ docs/doc.htm
A reader wrote: "Similarly just because Brzezinski (among others) likes to claim that he personally overthrew the Soviet Union doesn't mean that you or the rest of us have to take him seriously. Nobody in 1979 had any reason to think that the Afghan war would bring down the USSR. Nor have we any real reason to think that it did bring it down."
The point is well taken at least as regards Brzezinski's claim that his Afghan strategy destroyed the Soviet Union. But the issue here is a different one: what role did the U.S. government play in the creation of Islamist terrorism? In that regard, Brzezinski's assertion that the U.S. provoked Soviet actions and that Islamism was deliberately fostered is backed up by sources on all sides of the Afghan issue.
Zbigniew Brzezinski about how the US provoked the Soviet Union into invading Afghanistan and starting the whole mess
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#854325 Feb 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Got it?
So, when you call 9-1-1 in Chicago, just say you're not sure if the bad guys are still there.
DBs Mama

Orlando, FL

#854326 Feb 5, 2013
History 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty insightful...and true.
(Although I wouldn't say all deranged people are necessarily democrats...but probably raised by progressive politically correct liberals...since the poison of political correctness is enough to make even the sanest among us a little crazy.)
Well, looky who's here! Speak of the Devil you cheap harlot! I told you what would happen if I catched you round my boy and now look who's landed right in my lap! It wasn't enough that you shot Billy and stole the love of my life away from me but then you went and corrupted DB with your wickedness! He was just a boy.. barely 35. And here you come with your skimpy little dress and perfume and you took my only son from me. I told you what would happen if I caught you near him again, Jezebel! Big-city college girl with her Yankee ways and curly hair, I told DB you was trash but he was a boy and didn't know no better. But you did didn't you, harlot. I swear you bring out the meanness in me, you lyin' piece of Yankee white trash, I told you what'd happen, and now it will! Mark my words!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min dont drink the ko... 47,030
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 20 min HughBe 69,531
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 26 min Cali Girl 2014 50,047
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 48 min edogxxx 98,358
Amy 10-1 1 hr pde 5
Amy - 9-29-2014 1 hr Ralph 30
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,755
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 178,605

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]