Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#853458 Feb 4, 2013
Jobless Recoveries And The Disappearance Of Routine Jobs
We have in recent years been introduced to the cynical notion of the “jobless recovery.” For most of US economic history this term would have been dismissed as self-contradictory. That it is now part of common economic discourse is testimony to a major conceptual revision in the discourse of propaganda: that the economy is recovering is no reason to expect unemployed workers to find work. Economic recovery is now treated as consistent with declining standards of living. Lowered expectations and acquiescence in long term working-class hardship are now built into what we are told to regard as recovery. This political-economic innovation demands closer scrutiny. We want to know why recoveries since 1990 have been jobless, and what it is that makes them jobless. This will give us a clear picture of exactly what is happening in the “jobless recovery” that distinguishes it from the normal postwar cyclical recovery.
The key lies in the greatly heightened importance of a particular kind of unemployment, referred to by Keynes in the citation above as “technological unemployment”, and correlative to the advance of mechanization described above. This is not the kind of unemployment that attends a garden-variety recession, which disappears as the economy recovers. Peter S. Goodman correctly projected in The New York Times that the recovery following the 2009 recession would not bring sufficient jobs to absorb the record-setting ranks of the long-term unemployed.(“The New Poor: Millions of Unemployed Face Years Without Jobs”, February 21, 2010) He describes the new poor as “people long accustomed to the comforts of middle-class life who are now relying on public assistance for the first time in their lives – potentially for years to come.” What is distinctive about the jobless recovery?
Let’s look at the last 6 recoveries -after the recessions of 1970, 1975, 1982, 1991, 2001 and 2009- and compare the jobs lost during the downturns with those restored in the subsequent recovery. After the recessions of 1970, 1975 and 1982 both production and employment recovered. The jobs lost during the recession, including routine jobs, were regained in the recovery. Routine jobs were the largest single category of work in this period. It is the disappearance of precisely these jobs that distinguish the recessions of 1991, 2001 and 2009 from previous recessions. By the time of these recessions, routine jobs were more than 50 percent of all jobs and accounted for virtually all the job loss. Most importantly, this type of employment never recovers beyond its trough peak, nor does it approach its pre-recession peak. The permanent decline of middle-skill employment as a proportion of all employment has occurred nearly every year since 1984. The 1991, 2001 and 2009 recessions were the first to exhibit jobless recovery. The jobless recovery, then, is due to the disappearance of routine work, or, alternatively, to the polarization of the job market during these years.
What has accounted for the loss of these jobs? There seems to be an erroneous consensus on the Left that offshoring/outsourcing explains this phenomenon. About a third of all manufacturing work, some 6 million jobs, has been lost since 2000. But the exporting of jobs fails to explain most of this.“[W]hile many of these jobs were lost to competition with low-wage countries, even more vanished because of computer-driven machinery that can do the work of 10, or in some cases, 100 workers.”(Adam Davidson,“Skills Don’t Pay the Bills”, The New York Times, Nov. 20, 2012) This is permanent job loss, and contributes to the inequality endemic to labor-market polarization:“Those jobs are not coming back, but many believe that the industry’s future (and, to some extent, the future of the American economy) lies in training a new generation for highly skilled manufacturing jobs –
NWaxman

United States

#853460 Feb 4, 2013
Pay no attention to the "So NotSurpriZed" from
Pompano Beach, FL sock. You've heard about Girls Gone Wild? Happening here with him. He's hard to control sometimes. Put on IGNORE!!!
He's just looking for some attention as he isn't one of my favortie socks!!
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#853461 Feb 4, 2013
The US Economy in Crisis: Recovery is an Illusion
Headlines flashed warning signs. Commentaries downplayed them. A Wall Street Journal editorial headlined “As Contractions Go….”

US Q IV GDP shrank,“but not to worry. The report is better than it sounds, the stock market is rocking, and (the Fed will) keep both feet pressed firmly on the monetary accelerator.”

The Financial Times headlined “US outlook still clear despite shower,” saying:

Predicting recession “based on (-0.1% GDP decline)“is a bit like expecting rain because somebody threw a bucket of water out the window.”

The wildcard is “if Congress decides to dump water out the window every month, via across-the-board ‘sequester’ cuts” expected soon.

According to Bloomberg,“R-Word For US Economy in 2013 is Rebound Not Recession.”

According to JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, and Morgan Stanley economists, America’s economy “will bounce back in (Q I) after plunging defense spending and dwindling inventory growth” hurt Q IV.

Not according to economist John Williams. Recovery is illusory, he says. It’s fake. Phony government numbers conceal weakness. Growth hasn’t occurred since 2006/2007.

Earlier Williams said:

“Indeed, the ‘recovery’ is an illusion that has been created as a direct result of methodological changes in government inflation reporting of recent decades.”

They “resulted in an artificial lowering of official rates of inflation. The faux growth problem is in the use of understated inflation estimates in deflating a number of economic series.”

“Major economic series that have no underlying pricing base – such as housing starts, payroll employment and consumer confidence – correspondingly do not require inflation adjustment to put them on a consistent theoretical basis with the concept of real (inflation-adjusted) GDP.”

“Those series confirm a history of business activity in recent years that shows a plunge in the economy from 2006/2007 into late-2008/mid-2009, followed by a period of protracted, low-level stagnation, or bottom-bouncing, instead of ‘recovery.’”

Williams expects double-dip recession in 2013. It likely began in 2012 Q II or III, he believes.

Last August, market analyst Marc Faber rated odds for global recession at 100%. Little or nothing ahead looks promising. Corporate profits will disappoint.

The Fed can do so much and no more. Money printing has limits. It’s not magic. On January 31, Faber repeated earlier warnings.

“When you print money,” he said, it “doesn’t flow evenly into an economy. It flows to some people or to sectors first, and in this case, it flowed into equities, and until about five months ago into bonds.”

“I believe that markets will punish central banks at some state through an accident.”

Stocks could hit bubble levels and pop. Rising interest rates could collapse bonds.

“For the first time in four years, since the lows in March 2009, I love this market because the higher it goes, the more likely we will have a nice crash, a big time crash.”

He thinks weak global growth and disappointing corporate profits will trigger trouble
Mr America

Brooklyn, NY

#853462 Feb 4, 2013
mdbuidler wrote:
<quoted text>
No, sweetie, but anxiety was. Want to smoke?
Sweetie?? What are you my sugar mama? Ya smoke my huge floppy pipe right over here now.
neanderthal

Oklahoma City, OK

#853463 Feb 4, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
I really hope you're right about the inevitable civil war. Modern medicine has hindered natural selection to the point that a teabagger mutation has infested the population.
Bashing....

'Natural Selection' while coming from an Affirmative Action a hole us not very convincing.....
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#853464 Feb 4, 2013
“Extermination of The Truth”: In America Law No Longer Exists
In the 21st century Americans have experienced an extraordinary collapse in the rule of law and in their constitutional protections. Today American citizens, once a free people protected by law, can be assassinated and detained in prison indefinitely without any evidence being presented to a court of their guilt, and they can be sentenced to prison on the basis of secret testimony by anonymous witnesses not subject to cross examination. The US “justice system” has been transformed by the Bush/Obama regime into the ”justice system” of Gestapo Germany and Stalinist Russia. There is no difference.
In an article available here, Stephen Downs, formerly Chief Attorney with the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct and Kathy Manley, a criminal defense attorney and member of the New York Civil Liberties Union, report on how the US government destroyed a charity, the Holy Land Foundation, which provided money for feeding the poor and for building schools and hospitals in Palestine.
The charity, aware of the perils of being based in the US and doing anything for Palestinians, relied on the US State Department and the US Department of Justice (sic)
for guidance on where to send humanitarian aid. The charity sent its aid to the same aid committees in Palestine that the US Agency for International Development and the UN used to distribute aid to the Palestinians.
In the first trial of the Holy Land Foundation, the US government admitted that none of the charity’s donations had gone to terrorist organizations, and the federal prosecutors failed to achieve a conviction. So the prosecutors tried the charity again.
In the second trial, the judge permitted the prosecutors to call an “anonymous expert” to tell the jury that some of the committees used by USAID and the UN and approved by the US Department of State were controlled by Hamas, the elected government of Palestine that Israel requires the US government to brand as “terrorist.”
As Downs and Manley point out, an “anonymous expert,” cannot “be challenged because he is unknown.” There cannot be a cross examination. The “expert” could be anyone–someone paid to lie to the jury, a Jew who believes all help to Palestinians
comprises “aid to terrorists,” or a member of Mossad, the Israeli intelligence service that has throughly infiltrated the US according to US intelligence experts.
Injustices are everywhere, the authors admit, so why is this important to you? The answer is that the due process clause of the US Constitution requires that criminal laws give fair notice as to what conduct is prohibited. According to Downs and Manley, the Holy Land Foundation followed the US State Department’s list of designated terrorist organizations and avoided all contact with organizations on the list, but were indicted and convicted regardless. This tells us that federal prosecutors are viciously corrupt and that jurors are so inept and propagandized that they are useless to defendants.
The US Supreme Court refused to review this most blatant case of wrongful conviction. By so doing, the US Supreme Court established that the court, like the US House of Representatives, the US Senate, and the executive branch, is not only a servant of the police state but also a servant of Israel and supports the destruction of the Palestinians by designating aid to Palestine as an act of terrorism.
So NotSurpriZed

Pompano Beach, FL

#853465 Feb 4, 2013
Not Surprized wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you my loved one! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and come with almost all important infos. I'd like some more like this!!!!
Not Surprized! ROTFLMAO!
neanderthal

Oklahoma City, OK

#853466 Feb 4, 2013
*is* my fists were designed to crush bone, not type!

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#853467 Feb 4, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, here's some of Obama's statement on the morning after the attack:
"No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/20...
Sure sounds to me like he's calling it a terrorist attack. Who told you he lied about it being an act of terror?
There is a difference between an 'act of terror' by a spontaneous mob and a planned terrorist attack. If you can't see that well here's your sign.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#853468 Feb 4, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
The Treasury Dept.
The Treasury Department isn't a source of money. It is a repository of money. Incidentally, the Treasury Department is already 16.5 trillion dollars in debt. It doesn't have any money to give.
So, the question remains:

Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?

Still, to date, nobody on Earth has been able to answer that question.
So NotSurpriZed

Pompano Beach, FL

#853469 Feb 4, 2013
Not Surprized wrote:
Pay no attention to me. You've heard about Girls Gone Wild? Happening here with me. I'm hard to control sometimes. Put on IGNORE!!!
I'm just looking for some attention as I'm one of my favortie socks!!
Not Surprized! ROTFLMAO!
NWaxman

United States

#853470 Feb 4, 2013
neanderthal wrote:
<quoted text>
Bashing....
'Natural Selection' while coming from an Affirmative Action a hole us not very convincing.....
I appreciate your wonderful words. topnotch. I hope you produce more.
I will carry on watching!!

FYI!!!!

neanderthal is another one of my sockpuppets. Love this one alot.

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#853471 Feb 4, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
All easy questions for Obama vs:
'But I did find a 60 Minutes interview with George W. Bush. Here are the questions Scott Pelley asked him:
• "The war on terror, in a sense, began in this room, began in this cabin where your Cabinet meeting was held. Back then the whole country was with you. And now you seem to have lost them. Why do you think so?"
• "Most Americans at this point in time don't believe in this war in Iraq. They want you to get us out of there."
• "But wasn't it your administration that created the instability in Iraq?"
• "It's much more unstable now, Mr. President."
• "You mention mistakes having been made in your speech. What mistakes are you talking about?"
• "Fair to say there are not enough American troops on the ground to provide security for Iraq?"
• "Do you think you owe the Iraqi people an apology for not doing a better job?"
• "You are gambling a lot, Mr. President, on the Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. Why do you think that's a gamble worth making?"
• "I was on the battlefield in Najaf when al-Sadr's people killed your United States Marines."
• "Do you believe that the House has the constitutional authority to prevent you from the troop build-up? Can they stop you?"
• "Do you believe as commander-in-chief you have the authority to put the troops in there no matter what the Congress wants to do?"
• "You know better than I do that many Americans feel that your administration has not been straight with the country, has not been honest. To those people you say what? Like the weapons of mass destruction? No credible connection between 9/11 and Iraq."
• "The Office of Management and Budget said this war would cost somewhere between $50 billion and $60 billion and now we're over 400."
• "When was it that you first found out or it dawned on you that, indeed, there were no weapons of mass destruction? And I wonder, did you think,'What have I done?'"
• "What should the American people look for in this war plan? When will they know whether it's working or not?"
• "What would you say right now in this interview to the Iranian president about the meddling in Iraq?"
• "I wonder if you feel like you've been ill-served by your Cabinet members, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, perhaps even Vice-President Dick Cheney. Wrong on WMD. Wrong on the connection between 9/11 and Iraq. And now you're in a fix. And I wonder if you look back and wonder who let you down."
• "The vice president suggested there was a connection, not necessarily 9/11, but certainly to al-Qaeda."
• "Final question. How can you escalate the war when so many people in this country seem to be against it?"
A stunning contrast, isn't it? I won't speculate about personal ideological bias. It's possible that Pelley is just a much better journalist than Kroft. I will say that there is a glaring double standard in the coverage that 60 Minutes has afforded the two presidents…
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2...
I don't recall Obama lying to the American people in order to start a war. A war that would be a cake walk, over quickly & paid for by Iraqi oil. A war that killed 4000 US soldiers.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

#853472 Feb 4, 2013
The Stock Market Bubble. Surging Stock Markets Amidst a Global Depression
In the fifth year of the economic depression, and amid signs of the worst global slowdown since 2008, world stock markets are booming.

In the US, the three major stock indices have either reached or are within a few percentage points of their 2007 highs, despite the fact that the economy has stalled, contracting for the first quarter since 2009, according to figures released Wednesday.

Europe is in a state of disintegration, with Greece and Spain facing conditions not seen since the Great Depression, while Germany is experiencing a sharp slowdown. In Britain, the economy is now 3.3 percent smaller than at the start of the downturn, but the benchmark FTSE 250 index has doubled. China, Brazil and India have posted sharply lower figures for economic growth, amidst a slowdown in exports. Yet global share prices have risen ten to twenty percent in the past year alone.

These apparently contradictory phenomena—surging financial markets and economic stagnation—are in fact intimately linked. The continued rise in the markets is not a sign of health, but a particular expression of the diseased state of the world capitalist system.

The world’s ruling classes, confronting a historic crisis of productivity and investment, have responded through the reflation of asset values—and their own incomes—through historically unprecedented measures of wealth redistribution.

Above all, there has been a massive infusion of cash into the financial system by the US Federal Reserve and other central banks. The US Fed is currently purchasing some $85 billion worth of mortgage-backed securities and treasury bills every month, essentially printing money to buy up government debt and bad assets held by the banks. The total assets owned by the Federal Reserve have climbed to $3.01 trillion, more than triple what they were in 2008.

All major world central banks have taken similar actions. In July, the European Central Bank moved to reduce its benchmark interest rate to the lowest level in the history of the euro. The size of the holdings of the six largest world central banks has nearly tripled, to €14 trillion in 2012.

THE DUNCE OBAMA SUPPORTERS CHEER NEWS THEY HAVE NO INVESTMENTS IN THEY DO NOT BENEFIT FROM WALL STREET THEy DONT OWN STOCK OR THE HOME THEY LIVE IN BUT THEY CHEER WHAT THEY THINK MAKES OBAMA LOOK GOOD BUT NOT WHAT HELPS THEM YOUR FAMILY IS FROM THE SOUTH BUT YOU SUPPORT ILLEGAL ALIENS HOW STUPID TO VOTE AGAINST YOURSELF

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#853473 Feb 4, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, here's some of Obama's statement on the morning after the attack:
"No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done."
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/20...
Sure sounds to me like he's calling it a terrorist attack. Who told you he lied about it being an act of terror?
And, where was Obama during the 7-hour battle between Al Qaeda and the stripped-down American embassy security detatchment in Benghazi while the real-time video was being watched in the White House?

Why did Obama lie for two weeks trying to cover up the Al Qaeda terrorist attack on the US?

What's the indoctrinated party line mantra on this....

Loysville, PA

#853474 Feb 4, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution was written to allow a mulatto fraud like Obama the ability to become President. It seems to me it worked. Under no other system would that have happened. You seem to be woefully ignorant of that fact.
Limited government seems to be something you are opposed to. Of course, that means you are rebelling against the government of the United States and the Constitution. Would Obama be part of your rebellion?
Given the actions of the Democrats, I don't see how a civil war to restore the Constitution can be averted. The Democrats are too full of themselves and their ability to indoctrinate the population with lies to not do it, and they are too ignorant to avoid doing it.
After the smoke clears, it is a certainty the winners will hang the losers. If it's your neck the noose is being put around, don't whine. You asked for it. Take it like a man.
By the way, all these things like electricity every day and fresh produce in the grocery store and gasonline and everything else that requires capital investment to deliver to you will become significantly less reliable and scarce. Since you cannot provide for yourself, and everything in your neighborhood will already have been stolen, you will have to expand the territory you forage in to include places where there is still something there to steal.
We know you'll be coming to see us. You know you'll be coming to see us. We can discuss the issue of equality then.
You won't need to bring your copy of Roberts Rules of Order with you.
Quit your GD f*cking whining about cvil war & have some guts & do it.

My God, I'm tired of hearing this sane old crap from your moronic Tea Bagging assh*les.

DO IT or STFU

Loysville, PA

#853475 Feb 4, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
And, where was Obama during the 7-hour battle between Al Qaeda and the stripped-down American embassy security detatchment in Benghazi while the real-time video was being watched in the White House?
Why did Obama lie for two weeks trying to cover up the Al Qaeda terrorist attack on the US?
What's the indoctrinated party line mantra on this....
You know damn well where e was at 11 PM.

Loysville, PA

#853477 Feb 4, 2013
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
<quoted text>
If I have to believe Al Gore...
Then is it to much to ask you to believe someone who at least earns his living....
You voted for Mitt Romney, unemployed for how long?
So NotSurpriZed

Pompano Beach, FL

#853478 Feb 4, 2013
Not Surprized wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate your wonderful words. topnotch. I hope you produce more.
I will carry on watching!!
FYI!!!!
I am another one of my sockpuppets. Love myself alot.
Not Surprized! ROTFLMAO!

Loysville, PA

#853479 Feb 4, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
The Treasury Department isn't a source of money. It is a repository of money. Incidentally, the Treasury Department is already 16.5 trillion dollars in debt. It doesn't have any money to give.
So, the question remains:
Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?
Still, to date, nobody on Earth has been able to answer that question.
You wanted to know where Obama got his money. He gets it from the Treasury Dept.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min reality check 50,036
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr RACE 98,345
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr RACE 639
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 1,299
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 178,585
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr RACE 7,795
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr RACE 4,753
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]