Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#853059 Feb 3, 2013
Mike Johanns To Support Chuck Hagel For Defense Secretary: Report

""Sen. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.) will support his former colleague Chuck Hagel's nomination for U.S. defense secretary, the Lincoln Journal Star reported Saturday.

Hagel, a former Republican senator from Nebraska, faced about eight hours of tough questioning on Thursday during his confirmation hearing in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The White House defended Hagel's performance on Friday, maintaining that the former senator will garner enough votes for confirmation.

As the Omaha World-Herald reported last month, many eyes have turned to the GOP senators from Hagel's home state, Johanns and Deb Fischer.

“Chuck Hagel’s military career is nothing short of admirable and while he has been a long-time friend, we do have very different opinions on many very important issues," Johanns said in a statement after Obama announced his nomination of Hagel. "Now that he has been nominated, he has an obligation to elaborate on his past statements and fully explain his positions during what I expect to be a thorough and fair confirmation hearing."

Earlier this week, Johanns signaled that he was leaning towards supporting Hagel.

"It sure seems to me that this has gone well," Johanns told the Journal Star after meeting privately with Hagel ahead of the confirmation hearing. At the time, Johanns said he would reserve his final decision until after the hearing.

Johanns is the second Republican to back Hagel. The first was Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), who endorsed Hagel on Tuesday.

A committee vote on Hagel may come as early as next Thursday. Democrats hold a 14-12 edge on the Senate Armed Services Committee.""

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853060 Feb 3, 2013
The Voice of Rosin wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, Americans could grapple with what appears to be a pathological attachment to pointless violence committed by men? Just playing Devil's advocate here.
Don't watch if you don't like it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#853061 Feb 3, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama allowed the right whiners to self destruct on the Rice thing. Obama had never offered her the job.
"real dumb"
Why this post? You echo the post you responded to, the president never offered the job to Rice. That's what the posters said.
I have to ask you one more time, do you ever think before you post?
Peace
KMA

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853062 Feb 3, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I assume you're also against cuts in education for the same reason.
The problem with education is that public schools do not hire the best-qualified personnel. In fact, public education avoids hiring graduates with subject matter majors in favor of education majors, generally the lower end of the student crop.

Teacher salaries are more than adequate to attract highly-qualified personnel, but schools choose to use other criteria in hiring.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#853063 Feb 3, 2013
Paul Krugman: GOP's Immigration Reform 'Problem Is Their Base Is Old White People'

""As the debates on immigration reform and gun control heat up, the Republican Party and the National Rifle Association have problems ahead, Paul Krugman predicted on Sunday. Those problems, he suggested, have to do with how the two groups fundamentally work.

Appearing Sunday on ABC's "This Week," the Nobel Prize-winning economist and New York Times columnist first weighed in on the bipartisan plan for comprehensive immigration reform unveiled by eight senators last week. It's the GOP that should be getting nervous, he said.

"The Republican Party has a problem," Krugman told host George Stephanopoulos. "The leadership understands that ... they're doomed if they are only the party of old white people, to put it bluntly. The problem is their base is old white people."

Krugman added that the senators' proposal to create a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants has "got to be good for everybody" and that "there's no possible reason not to do this."

Turning to gun control, Krugman said that the NRA's "bizarre" approach, in which it has dug in its heels, rather than make concessions, may actually be working against it.

"I think that the terms of the debate have shifted," Krugman said. "Now the craziness of the extreme pro-gun lobby has been revealed, and that has got to move the debate and got to move the legislation at least to some degree.

"The NRA is now revealed as an insane organization, and that matters quite a lot," he added.""

----------

Proof that the base is old white folks like Lorac is the fact that no one on this thread from the R side has said a word about supporting immigration reform.

In fact, the nitwits on this thread are older and whiter than almost any group in America, and still cling to their anti immigration hatred, even as their Party is trying desperately to move into the 21st Century.

These folks wish to return to the 18th century.

That's why they lose and keep getting angrier!!

Their Obama Derangement Syndrome is killing their Party.

I'm lovin' it!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853064 Feb 3, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>That probably explains why medical schools, research parks, hospitals and medical centers are being built at such a rapid pace eh?
Assumes facts not in evidence. In fact, many hospitals are closing, or closing parts of their facilities.

The issue in the future will be quality of personnel, not quantity. The medical profession will be flooded with folks from Bangladesh.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#853065 Feb 3, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with education is that public schools do not hire the best-qualified personnel. In fact, public education avoids hiring graduates with subject matter majors in favor of education majors, generally the lower end of the student crop.
Teacher salaries are more than adequate to attract highly-qualified personnel, but schools choose to use other criteria in hiring.
More brainless blather from the brainless blatherer.

Nobraina's got a million opinions, all of them really ignorant!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853066 Feb 3, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The pay isn't less.Can't you read?
Funny, yesterday you said cutting pay of government employees wouldn't make any difference.
Government employees do not provide anything of value.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#853067 Feb 3, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'm hoping I don't live long enough to end up under the slimey, tattered Medicare umbrella.
See how that works? I've been successfully brainwashed to prefer dying than getting old in America.
:p
Worked perfectly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853068 Feb 3, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't put words in my mouth. I asked you for evidence that either party took spending cuts seriously. Lacking any sort of meaningful spending reduction proposals or actions the only choice is to increase revenues because I consider theft immoral especially when compared to just doing without. Since you and your type can't do without you should at least have to pay for what you get.
Cut anything you choose. Eliminate the entire defense budget and you only reduce the deficit by 50%.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853069 Feb 3, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Not diversity within the condo ghettos. The NY Jew oldsters lead to Jewish delis as Cuban refugees lead to Cuban restaurants. Good eatin' in S. FL.
If you like Jewish delis and Cuban restaurants.

I prefer a good steak house.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#853070 Feb 3, 2013
Translation:

Tenzing is easy on Nobraina, not pointing out his idiocy and mocking him.

I take on Nobraina and abuse him mercilessly. His ignorance makes it easy.

He's too afraid of me to dare enter a discussion.

He tried a few times, but I dumped on him so badly he runs off when I show up.

He's a coal man!!

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
True. Seems like a Jekyll/Hyde act, with you being Jekyll. Just his name would seem to link him to you. But I could be wrong.
Actually, take your posts at face value, but the Nucular sockpuppet is absurd.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#853071 Feb 3, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe, if...the past three presidents (including Obama) had re-appropriated the annual Social Security surplus for Medicare expenses instead of Defense we would be experiencing the higher "happiness index" that is the United Nations goal for the citizens of the world. Maybe. There would certainly be a lot less dead Americans, young AND old.
Your Obama belongs to a death cult.
He's my President despite not voting for him.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853072 Feb 3, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Medicare is not a handout. People who qualify for it have already paid for it. I believe the original comments were about crappy Medicare coverage.
Medicare is a tax to provide care for current beneficiaries, and guarantees nothing in the way of future treatment for the taxpayer.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#853073 Feb 3, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut anything you choose. Eliminate the entire defense budget and you only reduce the deficit by 50%.
You stupidly submit it must be done in 1 year??

Took us decades of Republiclown stupidity to get us this far into debt, and you think it can be fixed in 1 year??

You're a bigger ahole than we thought!~!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#853074 Feb 3, 2013
We get that you hate Florida.

But you live in a far worse place, PA!!

(you think we believe your sockpuppet??)
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like Jewish delis and Cuban restaurants.
I prefer a good steak house.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853075 Feb 3, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
More evidence that y'all aren't already libertarians 'cause you think the Bill of Rights only has one amendment and just think its strange that they called it the "2nd".
Now try selling the same poster on a strictly defensive military as provided by the Constitution. That's usually where y'all break down and go the big government route.
Just ask Carol.
"We oppose all laws at any level of government requiring registration of, or restricting, the ownership, manufacture, or transfer or sale of firearms or ammunition."

Seems pretty clear on this subject.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#853076 Feb 3, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The photos look more like dragging a corpse than carrying a live person.
The event occurred months ago, there are no surprises left to be discovered by the likes of you or your gal pal Carol. The official cause of death was asphyxiation (smoke inhalation). His body was collected at the hospital by CIA employees and evacuated on the same aircraft as the other deceased, the wounded and plus or minus 30 others.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#853077 Feb 3, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Government employees do not provide anything of value.
Isn't the Army filled with Gov't employees??

And the Air Force??

And th eNavy??

And the Coast Guard??

Or the CIA??

Or the FBI??

Or the CDC??

Or the INS??

Or the Federal Court System??

Why do you continually say truly stupid things??

Do you enjoy being laughed at?? As you have for your entire, miserable life.

Is it that important for you to show what an idiot you are with each and every post??

Apparently so.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#853079 Feb 3, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
You stupidly submit it must be done in 1 year??
Took us decades of Republiclown stupidity to get us this far into debt, and you think it can be fixed in 1 year??
You're a bigger ahole than we thought!~!
Mr. Hyde clearly does not understand the difference between the deficit and the debt.

There is no reason why the deficit cannot be eliminated immediately.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 9-22 8 min Kuuipo 11
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min loose cannon 178,224
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr RACE 98,253
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr andet1987 1,288
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr andet1987 4,741
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr andet1987 1,486
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 4,725
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••