Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
783,181 - 783,200 of 1,096,625 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Good news on Kerry, yes, he invited President Obama to speak at the convention nominating him for President; I'll never forget that speech. It put him on the map.
65 Syrians found shot in the head, hands bound. Spoke to some friends who are originally from there; they think that President Assad will prevail and not step down. Interesting.
Why would Assad step down when others who are deposed are murdered or imprisoned? When you give a dictator no choice, expect the worst.
RUSH10ME

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>How's it hangin', Jane? That was the Breitbart blogs that used the "Lick Wall Street's Boots" nonsense you plagiarized. The "Wall Street Journal" actually included that "Ms. White's former clients include the independent directors of News Corp NWSA +0.50%., who hired her in 2011 during the company's U.K. phone-hacking scandal. News Corp. owns Dow Jones & Co., publisher of The Wall Street Journal."
No joke like an old joke like an illiterate fool of a Tea Bagger...
Hangin' as in Jessie Washington or hangin' as in your boobs??
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

“War and the fixation on violence, the ideological justifications and rationalizations for racism, economic inequality and all forms of oppression – they were all interrelated for Dr. King.”
For Dr. King, the war in Vietnam and the support given to it by the majority of the American people was a “symptom of a far deeper malady within the American spirit.”[2] War and the fixation on violence, the ideological justifications and rationalizations for racism, economic inequality and all forms of oppression – they were all interrelated for Dr. King.
And while that stance earned him the wrath of liberals in the Johnson Administration, the philanthropic community and even among the clergy, both black and white, he said he did not have a choice but to speak out, because he believed that those who understood what was at stake had a responsibility to do so. For Dr. King, receiving the Nobel Peace Prize gave him an even greater responsibility:
“I cannot forget that the Nobel Prize for Peace was also a commission — a commission to work harder than I had ever worked before for ‘the brotherhood of man’. This is a calling that takes me beyond national allegiances…”[3]
Dr. King’s commitment to non-violence, peace and love for humanity was complete and unshakable, despite the enormous personal and political costs he endured, including threats to his life, which intensified once he opposed the war.
In the 2009 Nobel Prize acceptance speech given by the newly-elected Barack Obama, he presented an argument for the concept of a “just war.” Startling many in the Oslo audience, President Obama forcefully asserted in what many would begin to refer to as the “Obama doctrine” that:“We will not eradicate violent conflict in our lifetimes. There will be times when nations — acting individually or in concert — will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified.”[4]
While Dr. King condemned the violence, warmongering and colonialism of the U.S. historically and in Vietnam specifically, Obama’s position is that:

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is firing 20,000 U.S. Marines, hiring Obamacare Gestapo instead.
Better call up Bush & see if he can make up some more lies to start another war so he can kill off some more.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the pain and envy that you righties display daily. My life is a very good one that I earned, I can go and do as I please and mostly you tax payers pay me for that. Yahoo.
Give back, NOW. The hoosegow has a stupid seat reserved for you.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

OBAMA IS an opportunist politician who is in the service of global white supremacy. What cannot be easily explained, however, is how the vast majority of African Americans have been taken along this ride to neo-conservatism. And not just African Americans – the whole liberal establishment, from human rights activists who give political cover for the arrogant and racist assumptions contained in the doctrines of “humanitarian intervention” and the “right to protect,” to the business labor unions, anti-war activists, women’s organizations, civil rights groups, media – most pathetically personified by MSNBC – all of these groups have suffered a moral and political collapse that has allowed “normal” politics in the U.S. to be moved to the border of right-wing fascism.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Obama’s defenders argue that the difference in tone and substance between Dr. King’s speech and positions and those of President Obama is due to the fact that Dr. King was a public figure and not tasked with the heavy responsibilities of governing, with all the complexities that entails. And they would be right. His position as “Commander-in-Chief” can easily explain why he was silent on the Israeli invasion of Gaza in 2008-09; boycotted the Durban follow-up process; continued and expanded the repressive domestic policies of the Bush era with the National Defense Authorization Act; signed-off on drone kills, including the killing of U.S. citizen Anwar Al-Awlaki and his sixteen-year-old son; supported the NATO war of opportunity on Libya and the current funding, arming and political legitimacy to Islamic fascists in Syria. For these are the positions one takes when one is the head of a desperate and declining hegemon committed to using subversion, deception, repression and direct military violence to maintain its global empire and, by extension, the collective colonialist interests of the white West.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
business as usual.......the Wall Street crash will come real soon.
It's kinda looking that way, for real.

Geez.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to answer the post. I'll help you correct that oversight. Here's the post you danced around like a New Orleans street tap dancer:
You're the one throwing that ludicrously low 11 million illegal aliens living here number around.
Where did you get that number?
that number?

from 50 different sites on the net.

what have you got? a right wing blog/FOX/Rush?
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Gunner wrote:
<quoted text>
Facebook has a new hotline to report death threats aimed at politicians.
I was just there reporting you to the FBI.
did i say i'd do the shooting? the story was about Assad of Syria. read read read you stupid a..hole.

Since: Nov 09

Pharr, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
OldRaider you’re just another Obama apologist but here’s a simple question on Benghazi!! Obama said: I told them to do whatever it takes! Raider name the individual he gave those Orders to?
You pick someone, I'll agree.
Now what?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, it's still a free country.
"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
nothin' ain't worth nothin', but it's free."

So what's free about it??

Can you jaywalk legally??

Can you avoid paying taxes legally??

Can you drive a car without a license legally??

Can you ignore traffic laws legally??

Can you yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater legally??

There are laws that make illegal many common behaviors. They are there to control those who step out of line.

You can't even gather and protest where you want to. The Gov't has rules to control people.

You need a permit to protest, or risk arrest!!

Disobey them you get arrested.

I think CA has more of these laws than most other states.

So being able to post propaganda on Topix leads you to believe you're free??

You've got a funny notion of freedom.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Truth is no SIN wrote:
OBAMA IS an opportunist politician who is in the service of global white supremacy. What cannot be easily explained, however, is how the vast majority of African Americans have been taken along this ride to neo-conservatism. And not just African Americans – the whole liberal establishment, from human rights activists who give political cover for the arrogant and racist assumptions contained in the doctrines of “humanitarian intervention” and the “right to protect,” to the business labor unions, anti-war activists, women’s organizations, civil rights groups, media – most pathetically personified by MSNBC – all of these groups have suffered a moral and political collapse that has allowed “normal” politics in the U.S. to be moved to the border of right-wing fascism.
suffering is what the "Illuminati" inflicts on the masses.

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
OldRaider you’re just another Obama apologist but here’s a simple question on Benghazi!! Obama said: I told them to do whatever it takes! Raider name the individual he gave those Orders to?
If you & DBWRiter would quite blowing each other long enough you would know that Obama was in a meeting at 11 PM with Leon Panetta & the Head of the Joint Chiefs.

But that would take both of you being informed. Ad we know you both are uninformed jackasses.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

here's why this is my favorite opinion site....

A reader left an angry comment yesterday on my post about Jindal’s bad speech, saying that he was going to let his TAC subscription expire because Daniel Larison and I only ever badmouth Republicans, and never have anything bad to say about the Democrats. I can’t speak for Daniel, but I find this a curious complaint.

Personally, I’m not all that interested in what the Democrats do; because my conservatism is primarily social and cultural, the Democrats of 2013 have no place for someone like me. On the kinds of issues that matter most to me, it’s a given that the Democrats will be on the wrong side. I used to be a registered Republican (I’m an independent now), and I would very much like to be able to vote Republican again with confidence, as I’ve done almost my entire life. I am therefore very much interested in seeing the Republican Party reform itself, and become a credible conservative voice, however flawed and imperfect from a traditionalist point of view.

Second, does the conservative press really lack for conservative critics of the Democratic Party, and of liberalism? I think not. I’m more concerned about picking the beams out of our own conservative eyes than I am in picking the motes out of their liberal ones. Most of us conservatives know perfectly well what’s wrong with the way liberals see the world. What we don’t get as well as we should is what’s wrong with our vision. Unless I’m mistaken, about 90 percent of Jindal’s analysis posed the GOP’s problems as a marketing issue. I disagree, and deeply believe that the Republican Party, and organized conservatism, is going to keep losing elections as long as its leaders and rank-and-file tell themselves that.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher...

you have to love how he frames the liberals in such a way that you would look the fool for criticizing his view of republicans.

but as he points out....there are a lot of republican fools.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the US should do the same.
Yeah right, lets begin with Terry Jones OK? Hah, Germany kicked his azz out, he knows the drill.

How many radical Imams do we have in the US presently? I can't even remember reading about any since the blind fk in New Jersey.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

The vast majority of African Americans have been taken along this ride to neo-conservatism.”

The collapse is not just represented in U.S. politics. The events in Newtown, Connecticut and in other towns across the U.S. have confirmed, despite the diversionary discussion of gun control, that there is something sick at the core of American culture. Can you really dismiss the culture of violence thesis when the majority of Americans still support the death penalty, 70 percent of American liberals support drone strikes that clearly kill innocent people, and an overwhelming majority of the people supported Israel’s murderous assault on Gaza?

Today, the dream of more equitable income distribution; a government restrained in its use of war; racial justice; environmental protection; gender justice; and a vision of a United States that has been decolonized, in the literal sense of the word, is further from being realized than ever. As African Americans, we are experiencing our most profound existential crisis since our collective experience of being enslaved, even with a “Black President.” What happened?

In 1964, when King received his award, and in the subsequent years before he was murdered, the colonialist/capitalist nature of the U.S. State was the same as it is today, but we still saw Pres. Johnson’s “Great Society” program targeting poverty, the passage of progressive legislation expanding democratic rights, and a whole host of reformist concessions. Why? Emerging from the political spaces and culture of resistance created by the civil rights and Black Liberation Movement, the struggle for society-wide social justice intensified and the balance of forces were starting to move toward the people and deeper reforms. Even though reform liberalism was under sustained attack by the strengthening right-wing grouped around Barry Goldwater, the moral and ethical concerns of Dr. King regarding the need to eradicate poverty; eliminate, or at least reduce, U.S. imperialist adventures and wars; and finally solve the country’s problem of racial oppression still received significant support among liberals and many other Americans.
Truth is no SIN

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Today, liberalism has completely collapsed politically and morally. People who self-identify as liberals are supporting policies and positions they would never support if those policies were being pushed by Republicans. Their condemnation of torture under the Bush administration is countered by liberal Hollywood’s glorification of it in Zero Dark Thirty, and their anti-war stance, always challenged by their ultimate support for empire, has all but completely disappeared under the Obama Administration. So no one notices when a sycophant like Rev. Al Sharpton explains on his show how the Obama drone program is misunderstood by leftist critics, and when Rev. Eric Michael Dyson calls Libyan leader Muammar Ghadafi a dictator, and justifies his murder and the NATO gangster-ism that recolonized the country.

“Liberalism has completely collapsed politically and morally.”

Pres. Obama did say something in his Oslo speech that resonated with those of us who believe that human rights, when rearticulated by the people, can be a weapon for radical change:“Security does not exist where human beings do not have access to enough food, or clean water, or the medicine and shelter they need to survive. It does not exist where children can’t aspire to a decent education or a job that supports a family. The absence of hope can rot a society from within.”[6]
As we ready ourselves for four more years of an Obama Administration, let those of us who are not afraid of being ostracized, condemned and even persecuted use the occasion of Dr. King’s birthday and President Obama’s re-inauguration, to re-commit to a vision – not a dream, but a life-affirming vision – of a society and world in which the fundamental human rights of all to a socially productive job at a livable wage; education; free health care; public services to address public needs; adequate housing; a clean environment; democratic participation in every sector of life, including in the economic sector; and a life not destroyed by the scourge of war are respected.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Homer 2016 wrote:
So what's the latest? President still doing a good job, rightwingers still reeling. Same old, same old.
Real Canadians do not claim Peppy of WallStreet MENTALity as a true Canadian. That MENTALity, is just not Canadian like.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Truth is no SIN wrote:
ah. right wing fascism. King abhorred it. said so too.

so we need to fix that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 min Mimi Seattle 97,847
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min LRS 176,883
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr RACE 4,637
Fast Adderall,xanny ,MMJ- ADHD 1 hr Fast guy 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 46,244
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr BigRabbit 68,860
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 3 hr Sinatra 291

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••