Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
780,161 - 780,180 of 1,102,022 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#846310 Jan 24, 2013
here's one for the real carol...

When Is A Dead Baby Not A Dead Baby?

Er, wow:

Lori Stodghill was 31-years old, seven-months pregnant with twin boys and feeling sick when she arrived at St. Thomas More hospital in Cañon City on New Year’s Day 2006. She was vomiting and short of breath and she passed out as she was being wheeled into an examination room. Medical staff tried to resuscitate her but, as became clear only later, a main artery feeding her lungs was clogged and the clog led to a massive heart attack. Stodghill’s obstetrician, Dr. Pelham Staples, who also happened to be the obstetrician on call for emergencies that night, never answered a page. His patient died at the hospital less than an hour after she arrived and her twins died in her womb.

In the aftermath of the tragedy, Stodghill’s husband Jeremy, a prison guard, filed a wrongful-death lawsuit on behalf of himself and the couple’s then-two-year-old daughter Elizabeth. Staples should have made it to the hospital, his lawyers argued, or at least instructed the frantic emergency room staff to perform a caesarian-section. The procedure likely would not have saved the mother, a testifying expert said, but it may have saved the twins.

Terrible story. But get this: the Catholic hospital is defending itself by saying that state law holds that children not born alive are not persons:

As Jason Langley, an attorney with Denver-based Kennedy Childs, argued in one of the briefs he filed for the defense, the court “should not overturn the long-standing rule in Colorado that the term ‘person,’ as is used in the Wrongful Death Act, encompasses only individuals born alive. Colorado state courts define ‘person’ under the Act to include only those born alive. Therefore Plaintiffs cannot maintain wrongful death claims based on two unborn fetuses.”

As a technical legal matter, I suppose the hospital’s defense lawyers are correct. But good grief, what an incredibly hypocritical stance for a Catholic hospital to take: saying that unborn children are not persons if it doesn’t suit the interests of a Catholic institution.

Where is the Archbishop of Denver? Come on, man.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher...
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#846311 Jan 24, 2013
Fastest way to lose $44 million dollars...

Ask the organizers of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor show...

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/20...
jiminy cricket

Orlando, FL

#846312 Jan 24, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
[applause]
To be truthful, I secretly hope you ruin this thread for everyone. Because I'm not going anywhere.
Homer 2016

Bethlehem, PA

#846313 Jan 24, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> You and Homer should form a club! The 'I don't have a clue' club. Majority rule is mob rule and the Us is not governed by mob rule.
We never said it was you stupid fck, YOU did. You misunderstood as usual.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#846314 Jan 24, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should slow down a bit
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/kevi...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50553310/ns/local...
it was an AP story, as stated in your link.
well geez.

so where's the boobs?
carol

Orlando, FL

#846315 Jan 24, 2013
^5, carol. Still having fun? At some point, carol, even the most devoted ideologue becomes a liability and has to go for the good of the rest of the organism. We suppose that if we were President we would be obliged to fire you for mishandling the simple task of spamming a thread in a chatroom with tea=party bullshit which is, like, the first grade of propagandizing for Christ's sake.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#846316 Jan 24, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have chosen "caroling," but that's already taken.
is it ever!
NoSurrender

Orlando, FL

#846317 Jan 24, 2013
jiminy cricket wrote:
I will have the last laugh, and my 15 minutes of fame as well. In the future, a really cringe-worthy malapropism or factoid ad absurdum will be known as "pulling a carol," kind of like "jumping the shark," but even dumber.
Then who will the winner be, I ask you?
If you want to try and take me down, you'll have to take this entire thread down with me. Switching names is easy to do and I'm not going anywhere if that's what I have to keep doing.
dr carol

Orlando, FL

#846318 Jan 24, 2013
please sit down on the couch, dear, and tell us all about it? where does it hurt? do you get along with your mom?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#846319 Jan 24, 2013
jiminy cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
To be truthful, I secretly hope you ruin this thread for everyone. Because I'm not going anywhere.
then you're not everyone.

i could be.
carol

Orlando, FL

#846320 Jan 24, 2013
carol wrote:
I won't be able to make 'carol Friday' hope you won't mind
No problem, you can take a carol-check.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#846321 Jan 24, 2013
Barak: Netanyahu's disregard of Israeli social protest cost him the election

In interview with CNN, former defense minister says the thousands who took to the streets came out en masse on Election Day to demand they be part of the decision-making process; insists he has left politics for at least the next 5 years.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/barak-ne...
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#846322 Jan 24, 2013
Homer 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>We never said it was you stupid fck, YOU did. You misunderstood as usual.
As long as the GOP has people like flack and Galt they will continue their down hill slide. The sad part is both are clueless.
carol

Fishers, IN

#846323 Jan 24, 2013
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Paranoid schizo say what.
what.
carol

Orlando, FL

#846324 Jan 24, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
A Republican lawmaker in New Mexico introduced a bill on Wednesday that would legally require victims of rape to carry their pregnancies to term in order to use the fetus as evidence for a sexual assault trial.
House Bill 206, introduced by state Rep. Cathrynn Brown (R), would charge a rape victim who ended her pregnancy with a third-degree felony for "tampering with evidence."
The bill is unlikely to pass, as Democrats have a majority in both chambers of New Mexico's state legislature
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/new-...
Just shut up and kiss me you.. you... you carol you!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#846325 Jan 24, 2013
carol wrote:
2012 was a rough year for Republicans, but it is not foreordained that the GOP has to wear the loser dunce cap again in 2016. The Republicans can rise again. What they need is a strategy for a comeback.
Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan has already suggested that the GOP get out front of the Democrats on a series of issues, including immigration reform. This is a good idea, but let me add two more issues other than immigration reform to the docket.
The first is to reform our drug laws. What if the GOP supported the decriminalization — or, even better, legalization — of marijuana? Talk about an issue that could make many college students reconsider their reflexive opposition to the GOP.
It’s also not clear to me why supporting sending people to jail for using marijuana is a conservative position. Conservative giant Bill Buckley certainly didn’t think it was. On a philosophical level, it makes no sense. On a moral level, it’s just wrong. Why should we be sending people prison for consuming something that directly harms no one other than possibly themselves?
At the state level, pro-marijuana legalization and decriminalization advocates have momentum. Some states have already legalized marijuana, or at least “medical” marijuana. But federal law hasn’t changed. It isn’t too late for the GOP to wisely step out in front on this issue and steal it as their own.
Here’s another out of the box idea — so out of the box that it deals with Uganda.
In Uganda, there is a bill before the parliament that could make homosexuality a crime punishable by death, though some reports say the death penalty has been removed from the bill and life imprisonment is now the top penalty. The bill, which has come to be known as the “kill the gays bill,” could soon be voted on, according to reports.
Needless to say, the legislation is abhorrent and an affront to human rights. What makes the matter worse is that some renegade American preachers have been blamed for inspiring the bill, if not supporting it, making the problem more of an American issue than it might otherwise be.
Why doesn’t a conservative GOP senator — or senators — pick up the cause and speak out strongly against this human rights travesty, demanding that the Uganda parliament reject the bill lest there be penalties?
Maybe this would help the GOP with the gay community by showing that just because conservatives generally oppose gay marriages, they are not indifferent to violence against gays around the world. Maybe it wouldn’t help. But at the very least, it would be the right thing to do.
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/24/thedcs-jami...
Not A Parody.
Only you Obamabots want the US to become mired in the quagmire of uncivilized African countries.
carol

Orlando, FL

#846326 Jan 24, 2013
jiminy cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
You and only you, sir, are the biggest fool on here.
You really must be afraid of honest discourse to go to such lengths of being so immature.
Me? which one of me? Yes, we've always been a little immature but at least we don't pretend bill o'reilly is a grown-up like some carols we could mention...
carol

Orlando, FL

#846327 Jan 24, 2013
But, all caroling aside, surely you don't mean to imply that the sludge you churn out here is "honest discourse, do you? The word "discourse" carries with it the responsibility of actually wanting to hear a differing opinion. Which one of you does that, honey? You? DB? Come on, you "gave up," remember? does that mean something different in the advanced civilization of florida?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#846328 Jan 24, 2013
For over two centuries the Constitution has remained in force because its framers successfully separated and balanced governmental powers to safeguard the interests of MAJORITY RULE and minority rights, of liberty and equality, and of the central and state governments.

http://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_ite...

----------

In the Federalist Papers, Alexander Hamilton railed against requiring what we now call super majorities, calling that corruption of majority rule "a poison."

Giving the minority a way to negate the vote of the majority, Hamilton wrote, in No. 22:

"...is, in its tendency, to subject the sense of the greater number to that of the lesser number...The necessity of unanimity in public bodies, or of something approaching towards it, has been founded upon the supposition that it would contribute to security. But its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of the government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent, or corrupt junto to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority."

----------

James Madison, in the Federalist Papers, No. 58, adds:
"In all cases where justice or the general good might require new laws to be passed, or active measures to be pursued, the fundamental principle of free government would be reversed. It would be no longer the majority that would rule: the power would be transferred to the minority...[In] particular cases, an interested minority might take advantage of it to screen themselves from equitable sacrifices to the general [welfare], or, in particular emergencies, to extort unreasonable indulgences."

----------

Not surprising, but the Constitution and the guys who wrote disagree with your stupidity.

The House has more R's than D's. Who's the majority?? Why is John Boehner called the "Majority Leader", who is in charge of the House.??

The Senate has more D's than R's. Who's the majority? Why is harry Reid called the 'Majority Leader", who is in charge of the Senate??

The "Majority Leader" is so important that nothing is done without the Leader's consent. No bills, no votes, etc.

Now, to complete your lobotomy, please point to anything in Government where the minority sets the rules.

You can't, so again you lose!!

At least you're not ashamed to come here and make a fool of yourself!!

That's something to be said for ignorance!!
flack wrote:
<quoted text> You and Homer should form a club! The 'I don't have a clue' club. Majority rule is mob rule and the Us is not governed by mob rule.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#846329 Jan 24, 2013
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
Pennsylvania...
Eastern Sports Show CANX....
Show banned 'assault' rifles...
And sponsors said see ya...
http://noisyroom.net/blog/2013/01/23/list-of-...
HARRISBURG, Pa.(WHTM)-

The 2013 Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show has been postponed indefinitely.

Reed Exhibitions, which organizes the show, says it made the decision after controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines and clips. As of Wednesday, over 200 vendors had pulled out of the show. A Facebook page dedicated to boycotting the show currently has over 18,000 fans.

In a statement, Reed Exhibitions said the decision came after it became clear the event would no longer be able to provide the family enjoyment it was meant to.

"It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing," wrote Chet Burchett, Reed 's President for the Americas, in a statement.

The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 16 min J RULES 69,109
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 33 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,547
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 50 min litesong 46,389
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 53 min mahz 49,520
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr the wandering girl 4,681
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,669
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 2 hr andet1987 1,264
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr RACE 97,985
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••