Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#844449 Jan 22, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a f*cking idiot.
First of all, the students are LEGAL aliens when they come to our colleges & universities.
Second they currently leave when they can not become legal after college.
Third, we would enable them to be legal if they wanted to stay.
There is not "illegal" anything.
Why do we need educated aliens when we have over 300 million goddam people here and the most expensive education system in the world ready to educate them?
Being here should be an opportunity to an alien, and not a requirement for us.

Why do we have the most ignorant workforce in the industrialized world, while at the same time we have the most expensive education system in the entire world?

You're an idiot.
GhostofRaygun

Russellville, KY

#844450 Jan 22, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>The EPA was proposed by President Richard Nixon and began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_En...
By no means am I a tree hugger. But I do remember in the 70s the joke was fish in the Hudson River don't swim they walk across it. To this day it is a health risk to eat fish from the nearby Green River because of the Mercury and PCBs that were dumped in before the EPA was formed. If you want to know what the US would look like without an EPA just look at China. Street lights on during the day due to all the air pollution.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#844451 Jan 22, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's the biggest polluter in the US?
Yep, the government y'all want to regulate pollution.
Who capped BP's liability for the Gulf oil spill? In a free market BP would have been held completely liable and would likely have been driven into bankruptcy. Why does the US government sacrifice US citizen's lives, health, and property to protect a negligent foreign corporation's profitability?
One answer: politics; and, unless and until the money is ever removed from politics then this will continue.
Nothing is perfect; however, without some regulations, the corporations would be able to pollute and burn and ravage every forest, stream, river, coastline for profit.
While I understand your point; who is to say that BP would have been completely liable? Furthermore, bankruptcy is never an end to an entity, it is a rebirth; just ask Mitt and Da Donald.
Large multi national corporations would protect themselves accordingly, i.e. go bankrupt and not pay the damages and reopen the next day under PB.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#844452 Jan 22, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do we need educated aliens when we have over 300 million goddam people here and the most expensive education system in the world ready to educate them?
Being here should be an opportunity to an alien, and not a requirement for us.
Why do we have the most ignorant workforce in the industrialized world, while at the same time we have the most expensive education system in the entire world?
You're an idiot.
Why should we have foreign students obtain their education here and then leave? Is it not better to encourage them to remain here?
carol

Orlando, FL

#844453 Jan 22, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you be in such denial? Why are all the southern states red now?
Those are rhetorical questions since this has been shown to you many many times, you just refuse to accept that your party actively sought to bring southern racists rebelling against the Democratic Party into the Republican Party and that's where they've stayed until today and that's why the southern states are red.
You just don't tell the whole story.

Northern and Western Democrats supported civil rights as did Republicans. However, major civil rights bills in the 1950s and 60s generally depended more on Republican than Democratic support in Congress.

Conservatives in the GOP were split at the time – few lent their support to the Thurmond/Wallace/Bull Connor faction which was almost exclusively the province of the Democrats but some objected on other grounds to the pace and methods used to push civil rights, most famously Barry Goldwater’s opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 on constitutional grounds (Goldwater had supported other civil rights measures and would again). But those were disagreements about tactics and not outcomes.

Today, the old Dixiecrat resistance is thoroughly discredited. Most conservatives today want no part of the objections raised by Goldwater and his allies at the time.

The Nixon-era institution of affirmative action and the 1970s controversies over school busing remains much more controversial. Very few of the racially charged issues of the past 47 years had anything to do with legal equality for African-Americans.

On the GOP side, a number of the old Dixiecrats, led by Thurmond himself, switched parties. Ex-Dixiecrats like Thurmond and Jesse Helms abandoned their prior support for segregation along with the party they had left behind.

It's just that liberals can't seem to figure out which is worse. The entire Southern bloc of Democrats voting against civil rights since the Civil War up until the mid 1960s or Nixon voting for busing to keep peace in the south even though he was against it personally.

Or two Dixiecrats leaving behind the Democrat Party to join the side of Republicans changing their views on segreation in the process and Robert Byrd belonging to the KKK.

You can't dismiss an entire legacy of Southern Democrats because of an election strategy by Republicans to win the Southern states based on family values and gun ownership rights.

Or one controversial vote by one Republican president who did more to advance civil rights than any Democrat.

You just can't. If blacks can turn their backs that quickly on the party who had steadfastly been loyal to them because of one vote over busing, they need to take a long and hard look at the party who would have oppressed their rights to this day if the Southern bloc of Democrats had gotten their way.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#844455 Jan 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
so you can explain why Nazism was supported by leading capitalists and right wingers in the US?
Progressives. I've told you all for years not to get stuck on that right/left bullshit. There are progressives in both parties. Keep ignoring this at your own peril.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#844456 Jan 22, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Update & run your virus scan - can also download & run Malwarebytes (free, safe & good).
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwareb...
CCleaner also works well for clearing out tons of junk files.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner (also free, safe & good).
Stay away from Democrat websites.
It was probably the white supremacy sites she frequents.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#844457 Jan 22, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Update & run your virus scan - can also download & run Malwarebytes (free, safe & good).
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwareb...
CCleaner also works well for clearing out tons of junk files.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner (also free, safe & good).
Stay away from Democrat websites.
Yes both of those are great. I use them both.
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#844458 Jan 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
so you can explain why Nazism was supported by leading capitalists and right wingers in the US?
Can you explain where you got that notion from? Do that and then I will respond. You seem to make a lot of stuff up, so let's see what you've got before I waste my time on you.
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#844459 Jan 22, 2013
47%'ers....don't remember their history....

80 NY State school districts had rifle teams in 1975...

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/338167...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#844461 Jan 22, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps I should have said "existing environmental regulations" instead of referenceing the actual agency that was later formed to enforce those regulations. Sorry for the oversight.
now I understand what you were saying and you are correct.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#844462 Jan 22, 2013
Fiscal Footnote: Big Senate Gift to Drug Maker

By ERIC LIPTON and KEVIN SACK

Published: January 19, 2013

WASHINGTON — Just two weeks after pleading guilty in a major federal fraud case, Amgen, the world’s largest biotechnology firm, scored a largely unnoticed coup on Capitol Hill: Lawmakers inserted a paragraph into the “fiscal cliff” bill that did not mention the company by name but strongly favored one of its drugs.

Senators Max Baucus, left, and Orrin Hatch, in June at a Finance Committee meeting, have received contributions from Amgen.

The language buried in Section 632 of the law delays a set of Medicare price restraints on a class of drugs that includes Sensipar, a lucrative Amgen pill used by kidney dialysis patients

The provision gives Amgen an additional two years to sell Sensipar without government controls. The news was so welcome that the company’s chief executive quickly relayed it to investment analysts. But it is projected to cost Medicare up to $500 million over that period.

Amgen, which has a small army of 74 lobbyists in the capital, was the only company to argue aggressively for the delay, according to several Congressional aides of both parties.

Amgen has deep financial and political ties to lawmakers like Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, and Senators Max Baucus, Democrat of Montana, and Orrin G. Hatch, Republican of Utah, who hold heavy sway over Medicare payment policy as the leaders of the Finance Committee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/us/medicare...
carol

Orlando, FL

#844463 Jan 22, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
when Barry Goldwater voted against the JFK/LBJ Civil Right Act of 1964 people of color lost their love for republicans.
Carol, If you can remember Jackie Kennedy's dress you most likely are on Medicare and Social Security?
Peace
Again, you don't tell the whole story. Black Americans were already swayed to the Democrat Party by the late 1930s because of the New Deal and the Great Depression. Thousands had already fled the South by the 1960s.

Accusing the Republican Party of being against civil rights based on one Republican who supported the Constitution AND civil rights but believed it to be a states' rights issue instead of the federal government's is just part of the Big Lie and dismisses decades of legislation passed by Republicans precisely to ensure civil rights.

The majorty, if not all, of black Americans had already switched loyalites when big government came on the scene in the 1930s.

That's the problem of why we are where we are today. Not one Republican who has become the liberal's "straw man" to excuse their own sins of the past.

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#844464 Jan 22, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
(In case this didn't post the first time...)
...family values is a "wedge issue"?
When "family values" is used to keep civil rights such as marriage and voting and education from parts of the populace, they are. BTW, just how much does your marriage need to be defended from GLTB community?

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#844465 Jan 22, 2013
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
47%'ers....don't remember their history....
80 NY State school districts had rifle teams in 1975...
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/338167...
The mayor of Buffalo N.Y. ordered the American flag flown upside down yesterday. Glad to see the whole state of New York hasn't fallen to the loony left.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#844466 Jan 22, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text>Progressives. I've told you all for years not to get stuck on that right/left bullshit. There are progressives in both parties. Keep ignoring this at your own peril.
Henry Ford was a progressive? Prescott Bush?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#844467 Jan 22, 2013
I love this post from DuPont to Carol this morning:

Carol, you've been spouting that same delusional nonsense for as long as I've been following this thread.
The truth is that President Obama is for all the people, not just the wealthy for whom the GOP panders.
People like me see a lot Carol, I see how people like you want to deny citizens of equal rights because of who they love and choose to marry. I see how GOP state governments tried to suppress the votes of minorities. I paid attention to the plight of the Sensata workers in Illinois as Bain dismantled their plant and shipped it to China. I see hoe the GOP governor and legislature in Virginia passed a law requiring women to submit to an invasive and unnecessary medical procedure if they chose to terminate a pregnancy.
I don't know what happened to turn you into a bitter bigot and quite frankly I don't much care. People like you are increasingly irrelevant.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#844469 Jan 22, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you don't tell the whole story. Black Americans were already swayed to the Democrat Party by the late 1930s because of the New Deal and the Great Depression. Thousands had already fled the South by the 1960s.
Accusing the Republican Party of being against civil rights based on one Republican who supported the Constitution AND civil rights but believed it to be a states' rights issue instead of the federal government's is just part of the Big Lie and dismisses decades of legislation passed by Republicans precisely to ensure civil rights.
The majorty, if not all, of black Americans had already switched loyalites when big government came on the scene in the 1930s.
That's the problem of why we are where we are today. Not one Republican who has become the liberal's "straw man" to excuse their own sins of the past.
LOL
Samboca

Pompano Beach, FL

#844470 Jan 22, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
It was probably the white supremacy sites she frequents.
lily loves the race card
Lincoln

United States

#844471 Jan 22, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>And the Founding Fathers turned over in their graves.
but Obama's right. I know a lot of ill 90 year olds and social security disability collectors who have started new businesses and created jobs.
Founding Father might have enjoyed the prayers given at the inauguration of a Christian president.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 min Zap Brannigan 98,238
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 min JOEL 69,402
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min loose cannon 178,099
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr God Still Loves You 49,881
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr James 68,514
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Twisted Nixon 46,740
Amy 9-20 3 hr Kuuipo 6
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info