Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 38,811)

Showing posts 776,201 - 776,220 of1,072,175
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
forks_make_us_fa t

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Nuculur option wrote:
Show us where the Constitution says you have a right to own a Bushmaster.
You're simply a coward. A frightened old white man who feels the need for a gun to protect himself.
Typical of you puss ies, you mention Trayvon.
Well, Trayvon was unarmed, he was going home when followed by gun toting Zimmerman.
Had Zimmerman listened to the Police Dispatcher, the incident would not have occurred.
But a coward and a gun are a deadly combination.
Turns out, Zim wasn't even smart enough to stalk Trayvon without being noticed.
And when Trayvon confronted Zimmerman,(true 'stand your ground') it turned out Zim was a weak, paunchy coward.
So he pulled a gun and murdered the young man.
Bassed on your talk, you're as big a coward as Zimmerman.
And your baseless fear of 'urban muggers, rapists, murderers and home invaders' further proves you the coward.
So a handgun won't protect you??
You need an assault rifle to protect yourself??
You're both an idiot and a coward. And traitor to boot.
<quoted text>
UC Berkeley...

To buy Armored vehicle....

http://www.ipsnews.net/2012/06/liberal-berkel...

Who are they afraid of dipschit?

They canx the order....

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>No it's not. I've never seen a CVN bid go to Hyundai. And they're the largest ship builder.
Or a sub for that matter.
And I don't recall outsourcing an Abrams bid overseas.
Or an F-15 overhaul like commercial airlines do.
Or recruitment of soldiers overseas.
Only one place a CVN is built. Right here at Newport News Ship Building. Now a part of Northrup Grumman. The new CVNs are going to be cool. The launch deck will be one deck down while the recovery deck will remain on top. They are looking more and more like a starship with ever new model.
Homer 2013

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
If your kids are like you, I am sure they are holding their own.
As they look with a blank stare at the flies circling their open mouths.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>No it's not. I've never seen a CVN bid go to Hyundai. And they're the largest ship builder.
Or a sub for that matter.
And I don't recall outsourcing an Abrams bid overseas.
Or an F-15 overhaul like commercial airlines do.
Or recruitment of soldiers overseas.
What does bidding have to do with overseas? Yeah lets let are potential future enemies work on our military equipment.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Gun control versus terrorism control

The current meme on right wing talk radio regarding gun control is that there are some rare unforeseeable tragedies—such as the Newtown massacre—that just occur as part of the random awfulness of life. Government cannot prevent every last bad outcome, counseled Rush Limbaugh yesterday. Michael Medved deconstructed the various proposed gun measures and persuasively argued that none of them would have prevented Adam Lanza from gaining access to his guns; today Medved repeatedly asserted that pace the President, there is no “epidemic of gun violence”—gun violence is dropping, he rightly said (which begs the question of whether even if shootings are falling, the level of gun violence in the U.S. can rightly be characterized as an “epidemic”).

These are by and large wise words, even though as a purely instinctual matter, having no affinity for guns, I am readily prepared to accept tighter limits on high-powered weaponry, regardless of the inexact fit between the legislative goal and the desired outcome.(I understand the arguments to the contrary, however, even if I do not resonate to them.) The problem with this “don’t expect the government to protect you from every harm” argument is that conservatives flagrantly ignore it when it comes to Islamic terrorism. If mass shootings are extremely rare, Islamist-inspired homicides on American soil are rarer still. According to Michael Shermer, citing research by James Alan Fox, an average of 25 people are murdered with guns each day, or one an hour (a rate that if caused by influenza would clearly be deemed “epidemic”). There are 20 mass shootings a year (defined as taking out at least four victims). By contrast, we have had the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 9/11 attacks, and the Fort Hood shootings—three incidents over two decades. And yet conservative opposition to the creation of an entire new federal department to fight terrorism was muted at best, and largely limited to issues of unionization. As for the need for some sort of massive federal effort, not to mention a war, to protect Americans from terrorism, conservatives were nearly all on board. We now have an entire multibillion dollar terrorism-industrial complex selling government ever more high-tech goodies to detect and guard against a largely hypothetical threat (especially regarding chemical and biological weaponry), and infantilizing airport security measures that cost billions in lost time and thus commerce.

Many in the right-wing media world warn regularly about the unending threat of Islamic terrorism, and rail demagogically against Democratic politicians for not doing enough to protect us from the threat. Yet garden variety gun violence takes out magnitudes more Americans each year than terrorism.

Gun rights advocates might respond that the difference is the Second Amendment. But as Justice Scalia has pointed out, a right to bear arms does not rule out reasonable regulations on assault weapons, whose existence the Founders did not necessarily foresee. And in any case, the issue is simply how one evaluates risk.

http://secularright.org/SR/wordpress/gun-cont...

“God bless you, Mr. President”

Since: Jul 08

Peaceful, prosperous second

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

LooTER SHooTER wrote:
<quoted text> ID RATHER SEE IT SHUT DOWN THAN TO WATCH THE FURROR HAVE HIS WAY WITH UNCONTROLLABLE SPENDING!
Using "Furror" again? Don't you find that a bit "rediculous," Waxfruit?
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it!
Some of us aren't against banning assault rifles. Then again, some of us don't much about guns either, myself included, and why I don't say much about this topic.

But the problem that still remains is criminals don't obey the law.

What I really think is happening is many don't trust the motives behind the knee jerk reaction to go after guns considering the extremes to which the left has gone to make law-abiding citizens look like criminals instead.

The president has always had a problem making his case without ostricizing and demonizing half the country.

That's why there's also a knee jerk reaction to bristle.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Well, I just wanted to see what would "appear" to be better!
If you really had true capitalism, even the military would be put out to bid!
Right, the Military would be privately owned too & operated and everybody else be at the mercy.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Homer 2013 wrote:
<quoted text>As they look with a blank stare at the flies circling their open mouths.
How far are you willing to go to keep law-abiding citizens from having firearms to protect themselves?

Just want to know where you stand exactly.

“God bless you, Mr. President”

Since: Jul 08

Peaceful, prosperous second

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> What does bidding have to do with overseas? Yeah lets let are potential future enemies work on our military equipment.
OMG, "are" potential future!!! You just gotta' be one of the Whites of West Virgina...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Only one place a CVN is built. Right here at Newport News Ship Building. Now a part of Northrup Grumman. The new CVNs are going to be cool. The launch deck will be one deck down while the recovery deck will remain on top. They are looking more and more like a starship with ever new model.
lol! Yes. Times... they are a changin'!
forks_make_us_fa t

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

From the you cannot own a ar-15 but we can make you buy us a armored personnel carrier file...
New Hampshire town of 22,000 with two murders since 1999 gets $285k apc...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> What does bidding have to do with overseas? Yeah lets let are potential future enemies work on our military equipment.
Capitalism. That was the point.

Since: May 11

Fayetteville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

flack wrote:
I recall EADS being given a contract to build aerial refueling aircraft.

Foreign countries bid on our military contracts all the time.
RUSH10ME

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Homer 2013 wrote:
<quoted text>As they look with a blank stare at the flies circling their open mouths.
How cute , male bonding at its best .

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

DOMA Defense 'Ridiculous,' Says Former Republican Congressman Jim Kolbe

""WASHINGTON -- House Republicans continue to spend millions of taxpayer dollars defending the federal ban on same-sex marriage in court, most recently committing to dish out up to $3 million. This decision, according to a former Republican congressman, is "ridiculous."

Former Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.) served in Congress from 1985 to 2007. In August 1996, after voting for the Defense of Marriage Act that defines marriage as being between one man and one woman, Kolbe came out as gay. He says he voted for DOMA because of his belief that the definition of marriage should be left to the states.

But now, he believes the Republican Party needs to move on and accept the trend toward acceptance of marriage equality. "I think it's ridiculous, of course, that we're defending DOMA," Kolbe said in an interview with The Huffington Post.

The House Republican leadership took over the legal defense of DOMA in the spring of 2011, when Attorney General Eric Holder said the Department of Justice would no longer defend it because it believed the law is unconstitutional. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders hired the law firm Bancroft LLC to represent them in litigation.""

So who's wasting taxpayer money on stupid ventures??

The same group of idiots who voted to repeal Obamacare over 30 times.

Now Obamacare is the Law of the Land.

In a nation where gay rights are more accepted by more Americans, the House Republiclowns are still living in the rear view mirror and pretending it's still 1955.

And you idiots wonder why you lost the election.

I'mlovin' it!!
LooTER SHooTER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
One man's truths are another man's lies.
What can I say?
You see things through a different lens.
yeah his lens has Obama Shit smeared all over it !
liberals love it that way.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

The Federal Reserve is releasing transcripts of the eight meetings its policy committee held in 2007. The meetings occurred as the country was on the brink of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

Actions the Fed took in 2007 showed that it gradually recognized the scope of the approaching crisis. That year, the Fed began to cut interest rates and took extraordinary steps to ease credit and shore up confidence in the banking system.

Banks and hedge funds that had invested big in subprime mortgages were left with worthless assets as foreclosures rose. The damage reached the top echelons of Wall Street.

By December, the economy had plunged into the Great Recession, which would last until June 2009. Five years later, the economy has yet to fully recover.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/fed-re...
forks_make_us_fa t

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
Gun control versus terrorism control
The current meme on right wing talk radio regarding gun control is that there are some rare unforeseeable tragedies—such as the Newtown massacre—that just occur as part of the random awfulness of life. Government cannot prevent every last bad outcome, counseled Rush Limbaugh yesterday. Michael Medved deconstructed the various proposed gun measures and persuasively argued that none of them would have prevented Adam Lanza from gaining access to his guns; today Medved repeatedly asserted that pace the President, there is no “epidemic of gun violence”—gun violence is dropping, he rightly said (which begs the question of whether even if shootings are falling, the level of gun violence in the U.S. can rightly be characterized as an “epidemic”).
These are by and large wise words, even though as a purely instinctual matter, having no affinity for guns, I am readily prepared to accept tighter limits on high-powered weaponry, regardless of the inexact fit between the legislative goal and the desired outcome.(I understand the arguments to the contrary, however, even if I do not resonate to them.) The problem with this “don’t expect the government to protect you from every harm” argument is that conservatives flagrantly ignore it when it comes to Islamic terrorism. If mass shootings are extremely rare, Islamist-inspired homicides on American soil are rarer still. According to Michael Shermer, citing research by James Alan Fox, an average of 25 people are murdered with guns each day, or one an hour (a rate that if caused by influenza would clearly be deemed “epidemic”). There are 20 mass shootings a year (defined as taking out at least four victims). By contrast, we have had the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 9/11 attacks, and the Fort Hood shootings—three incidents over two decades. And yet conservative opposition to the creation of an entire new federal department to fight terrorism was muted at best, and largely limited to issues of unionization. As for the need for some sort of massive federal effort, not to mention a war, to protect Americans from terrorism, conservatives were nearly all on board. We now have an entire multibillion dollar terrorism-industrial complex selling government ever more high-tech goodies to detect and guard against a largely hypothetical threat (especially regarding chemical and biological weaponry), and infantilizing airport security measures that cost billions in lost time and thus commerce.
Many in the right-wing media world warn regularly about the unending threat of Islamic terrorism, and rail demagogically against Democratic politicians for not doing enough to protect us from the threat. Yet garden variety gun violence takes out magnitudes more Americans each year than terrorism.
Gun rights advocates might respond that the difference is the Second Amendment. But as Justice Scalia has pointed out, a right to bear arms does not rule out reasonable regulations on assault weapons, whose existence the Founders did not necessarily foresee. And in any case, the issue is simply how one evaluates risk.
http://secularright.org/SR/wordpress/gun-cont...
I can't own a Ar-15...to protect me and my family/property from my boogey-man...

But a univ can have a $285k apc to protect a college from theirs?????

http://www.ipsnews.net/2012/06/liberal-berkel...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

After its general election battering, the Republican party has retreated to lick its wounds and ponder what went wrong – on the leafy grounds of a luxury golf resort in Virginia.

And what better place for today’s GOP to hold strategy sessions titled “Successful communication with minorities and women” than on the grounds of a former plantation in the south?

Among the motivational speakers invited to address the retreat is Erik Weihenmayer, the first blind man to climb Mt Everest and thus the perfect person to inspire Republicans as they grope their way towards the heights of government.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/17/republi...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 776,201 - 776,220 of1,072,175
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

124 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min Maverick 808 45,479
Abby 7-11 22 min edogxxx 11
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min Afro-Euro-American Prez 173,619
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,158
Amy 7-11 1 hr Mister Tonka 13
Chicago's bloody Fourth: 82 shot, 14 dead 1 hr reality is a crutch 7
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr Doug77 4,574
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search