Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
776,141 - 776,160 of 1,099,789 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#841689 Jan 18, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the military is purchased by bid, other than the personnel.
No it's not. I've never seen a CVN bid go to Hyundai. And they're the largest ship builder.

Or a sub for that matter.

And I don't recall outsourcing an Abrams bid overseas.

Or an F-15 overhaul like commercial airlines do.

Or recruitment of soldiers overseas.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#841690 Jan 18, 2013
Hmmm….i think Leosanna had another kid yesterday. no mention of a husband in this touching little story about a 21 year old who already has a 5 year old and a 3 year old. wonder why?….

NEW YORK (WABC)-- It was a remarkable scene

Thursday morning on the D train in the Bronx.

A pregnant woman on her way to a doctor's appointment went into labor.

The problem was her beautiful baby had no intention of waiting for her to get to the hospital.

So with the help of some calm and brave NYPD officers that mother gave birth right in the subway station.

After a night of inconsistent contractions, Tamika Snipe and her mom decided it was time to go to the hospital.

But at the 161st Yankee Stadium subway stop, the 21-year-old knew she couldn't make it.

"It was extremely fast. The water broke and by the time I got downstairs he was ready to go," Tamika Snipe, the mother said.

"She said,'Mommy, I'm in pain'. She said,'The baby's coming.' I said,'No, not right now.' But I looked at her face and she looked like a ghost," said Lorell Snipe, grandmother.

Fortunately, a Good Samaritan ran to the Transit Police office for help.

Officers carried her into an office there, knowing they didn't have much time.

"We move all the chairs. I put garbage bags on the floor we got everybody's coats. We threw it in the floor. We took of her cloths and the head was out," Officer Janelli Garcia said.

"The baby cried and we went from scared to elated to a relief," Officer Vargas Benitez said.

Doctors at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, say Maxwell William Snipe is in perfect health weighing 7 pounds and measuring 20 inches.

"I'm so thankful. What if I would have delivered at a different train station without police officers. I'm happy. I'm grateful," Tamika Snipe said.

Mother and baby are expected to go home in two days

Tamika's 5-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter were at school and hadn't gotten the news yet.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story...
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#841691 Jan 18, 2013
Communists say please when they asked the Russian people to give them their guns....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dedgfyXHN7s/UPbql6f...

How did that work out?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#841692 Jan 18, 2013
Show us where the Constitution says you have a right to own a Bushmaster.

You're simply a coward. A frightened old white man who feels the need for a gun to protect himself.

Typical of you puss ies, you mention Trayvon.

Well, Trayvon was unarmed, he was going home when followed by gun toting Zimmerman.

Had Zimmerman listened to the Police Dispatcher, the incident would not have occurred.

But a coward and a gun are a deadly combination.

Turns out, Zim wasn't even smart enough to stalk Trayvon without being noticed.

And when Trayvon confronted Zimmerman,(true 'stand your ground') it turned out Zim was a weak, paunchy coward.

So he pulled a gun and murdered the young man.

Bassed on your talk, you're as big a coward as Zimmerman.

And your baseless fear of 'urban muggers, rapists, murderers and home invaders' further proves you the coward.

So a handgun won't protect you??

You need an assault rifle to protect yourself??

You're both an idiot and a coward. And traitor to boot.

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us where in the Second Amendment it states you don't have the right to own any specific 'arms'.
You wrote "The founders envisioned muskets, they'd be appalled at the killing power of today's weapons."
They did? Then why didn't they specifically state in the 2nd Amendment that citizens have the right to bear muskets?
Fool. It was INTENTIONALLY left vague so as to not fence themselves in limiting how the citizenry could protect themselves.
What are "arms"? Should we let fools like you and Diane or the Boy Messiah tell us what they are? Michael Bloomberg? He's already telling us what a glass of pop looks like.
In your world, I would be limited to owning a musket, lead balls and a powder horn to protect myself against the Trayvons, urban muggers, rapists, murderers and home invaders?
While they have all the illegal sh*t they can put their hands on?
The Jerk-In-Chief can't even stop illegals from crossing the borders, illegal munitions from entering the country, illegal drugs from entering, illegal cellphone sales, illegal......etc., etc. and now we're being told that the government that loves you is going to stop illegal weapons?
You are a dumb cluck sitting in the Jesse Sharpton family tree.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#841693 Jan 18, 2013
Obama Jobs Council hits 1 year without official meeting!! I’m wondering will Obama appoint another committee to find out why his Jobs Council has failed to meet in a years and report back to him with their Finding?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#841694 Jan 18, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
Its been 3 days and no one on the right has been able to answer the question:
Why the hysteria over Obama recommending the ban of assault weapons since Reagan and G.W. Bush did the SAME thing?
So, let me answer it. You have been whipped into a frenzy over this because it now serves the interests of the Republican party to find ANY reason to marginalize Obama. The problem with picking this fight is that the majority of America realizes the lunacy of this position, even your past leadership.
This has nothing to do with the constitution and everything to do with Obama.
That's it!

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#841695 Jan 18, 2013
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>Calm down , my kids will hold their own and will be taking up the slack for yours , just like I do for you now , your welcome.
If your kids are like you, I am sure they are holding their own.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#841697 Jan 18, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
Hmmm….i think Leosanna had another kid yesterday. no mention of a husband in this touching little story about a 21 year old who already has a 5 year old and a 3 year old. wonder why?….
NEW YORK (WABC)-- It was a remarkable scene
Thursday morning on the D train in the Bronx.
A pregnant woman on her way to a doctor's appointment went into labor.
The problem was her beautiful baby had no intention of waiting for her to get to the hospital.
So with the help of some calm and brave NYPD officers that mother gave birth right in the subway station.
After a night of inconsistent contractions, Tamika Snipe and her mom decided it was time to go to the hospital.
But at the 161st Yankee Stadium subway stop, the 21-year-old knew she couldn't make it.
"It was extremely fast. The water broke and by the time I got downstairs he was ready to go," Tamika Snipe, the mother said.
"She said,'Mommy, I'm in pain'. She said,'The baby's coming.' I said,'No, not right now.' But I looked at her face and she looked like a ghost," said Lorell Snipe, grandmother.
Fortunately, a Good Samaritan ran to the Transit Police office for help.
Officers carried her into an office there, knowing they didn't have much time.
"We move all the chairs. I put garbage bags on the floor we got everybody's coats. We threw it in the floor. We took of her cloths and the head was out," Officer Janelli Garcia said.
"The baby cried and we went from scared to elated to a relief," Officer Vargas Benitez said.
Doctors at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, say Maxwell William Snipe is in perfect health weighing 7 pounds and measuring 20 inches.
"I'm so thankful. What if I would have delivered at a different train station without police officers. I'm happy. I'm grateful," Tamika Snipe said.
Mother and baby are expected to go home in two days
Tamika's 5-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter were at school and hadn't gotten the news yet.
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story...
Imagine that! There were good samaritans who helped this woman deliver her baby! There is hope in the world! She had her baby! She didn't have an abortion; and you now have another baby to hate.
Good thing a swine like you wasn't there to stomp on her head. You're a sick women, should be locked up.
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#841696 Jan 18, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>No it's not. I've never seen a CVN bid go to Hyundai. And they're the largest ship builder.
Buy american....

And get this!!!!!

The Pentagon paid $998,798 to ship two 19 cent washers....

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#841698 Jan 18, 2013
A Republican-controlled committee in the Virginia State Senate voted 8-7 on Thursday to block Democrats' efforts to repeal a new mandatory ultrasound law and a set of regulations that could shut down many abortion clinics in the state. The committee also voted down a new anti-abortion bill that would have prevented Medicaid from paying for low-income women's abortions in cases where there is a severe fetal anomaly.

Virginia Republicans attracted national criticism in early 2012 when they proposed a bill requiring women to undergo invasive, medically unnecessary transvaginal ultrasound procedures before having an abortion. Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) later helped Republicans revise the bill to require only external, "jelly-on-the-belly" procedures, and he signed that version into law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/virg...

Since: Nov 09

Pharr, TX

#841699 Jan 18, 2013
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
Communists say please when they asked the Russian people to give them their guns....
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dedgfyXHN7s/UPbql6f...
How did that work out?
Did you go on an endless rant like this when Reagan and Bush suggested taking away your guns?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#841700 Jan 18, 2013
Obama is hitting all th eright notes, and that's what really drives these hateful wingnuts over the edge.

They're losing in the only court that counts; the court of public opinion.

When these cowards feel the need to hide behind military style weapons, we're all in trouble.

Time to get these rifles off th estreets of America.

Can't wait for the first drone strikes used on right wing anti-government militias.

And a few of these Sheriffs with big mouths getting arrested.

Just like James Yeager, all the tough talk will end, and they'll whine about how they're merely 'misunderstood'. LOL

----------

" The CEO who said that he would "start killing people" if President Barack Obama tightened gun control regulations has walked back on his comments.

"I said some pretty volatile stuff which I apologize for. I do not in any way advocate the overthrowing of the United States government, nor do I condone any violent actions towards any elected officials," James Yeager, CEO of Tactical Response, a Tennessee-based defense training company, said in a YouTube video on Friday.""

----------

Apparently, the wingnuts on this thread didn't get Yeagers memo!!

I'm lovin it as the American people support Obama on gun control!!
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
The President was visibly touched and near tears when talking about the young girl who was killed, her parents gave him one of her paintings which he hung in his office as a reminder of what happened that day; his signing of the executive orders with those children present, his hugging those children was an absolutely heartfelt and beautiful moment.
These haters can't relate because they are lacking the compassion for fellow person gene. They are incapable. They'd rather watch someone being water boarded.
Remember when George Bush said "The constitution is nothing but an old piece of paper"?
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#841701 Jan 18, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
Show us where the Constitution says you have a right to own a Bushmaster.
You're simply a coward. A frightened old white man who feels the need for a gun to protect himself.
Typical of you puss ies, you mention Trayvon.
Well, Trayvon was unarmed, he was going home when followed by gun toting Zimmerman.
Had Zimmerman listened to the Police Dispatcher, the incident would not have occurred.
But a coward and a gun are a deadly combination.
Turns out, Zim wasn't even smart enough to stalk Trayvon without being noticed.
And when Trayvon confronted Zimmerman,(true 'stand your ground') it turned out Zim was a weak, paunchy coward.
So he pulled a gun and murdered the young man.
Bassed on your talk, you're as big a coward as Zimmerman.
And your baseless fear of 'urban muggers, rapists, murderers and home invaders' further proves you the coward.
So a handgun won't protect you??
You need an assault rifle to protect yourself??
You're both an idiot and a coward. And traitor to boot.
<quoted text>
UC Berkeley...

To buy Armored vehicle....

http://www.ipsnews.net/2012/06/liberal-berkel...

Who are they afraid of dipschit?

They canx the order....

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#841702 Jan 18, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>No it's not. I've never seen a CVN bid go to Hyundai. And they're the largest ship builder.
Only one place a CVN is built. Right here at Newport News Ship Building. Now a part of Northrup Grumman. The new CVNs are going to be cool. The launch deck will be one deck down while the recovery deck will remain on top. They are looking more and more like a starship with ever new model.
Homer 2013

Bethlehem, PA

#841703 Jan 18, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
If your kids are like you, I am sure they are holding their own.
As they look with a blank stare at the flies circling their open mouths.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#841704 Jan 18, 2013
Yeah wrote:
What does bidding have to do with overseas? Yeah lets let are potential future enemies work on our military equipment.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#841705 Jan 18, 2013
Gun control versus terrorism control

The current meme on right wing talk radio regarding gun control is that there are some rare unforeseeable tragedies—such as the Newtown massacre—that just occur as part of the random awfulness of life. Government cannot prevent every last bad outcome, counseled Rush Limbaugh yesterday. Michael Medved deconstructed the various proposed gun measures and persuasively argued that none of them would have prevented Adam Lanza from gaining access to his guns; today Medved repeatedly asserted that pace the President, there is no “epidemic of gun violence”—gun violence is dropping, he rightly said (which begs the question of whether even if shootings are falling, the level of gun violence in the U.S. can rightly be characterized as an “epidemic”).

These are by and large wise words, even though as a purely instinctual matter, having no affinity for guns, I am readily prepared to accept tighter limits on high-powered weaponry, regardless of the inexact fit between the legislative goal and the desired outcome.(I understand the arguments to the contrary, however, even if I do not resonate to them.) The problem with this “don’t expect the government to protect you from every harm” argument is that conservatives flagrantly ignore it when it comes to Islamic terrorism. If mass shootings are extremely rare, Islamist-inspired homicides on American soil are rarer still. According to Michael Shermer, citing research by James Alan Fox, an average of 25 people are murdered with guns each day, or one an hour (a rate that if caused by influenza would clearly be deemed “epidemic”). There are 20 mass shootings a year (defined as taking out at least four victims). By contrast, we have had the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 9/11 attacks, and the Fort Hood shootings—three incidents over two decades. And yet conservative opposition to the creation of an entire new federal department to fight terrorism was muted at best, and largely limited to issues of unionization. As for the need for some sort of massive federal effort, not to mention a war, to protect Americans from terrorism, conservatives were nearly all on board. We now have an entire multibillion dollar terrorism-industrial complex selling government ever more high-tech goodies to detect and guard against a largely hypothetical threat (especially regarding chemical and biological weaponry), and infantilizing airport security measures that cost billions in lost time and thus commerce.

Many in the right-wing media world warn regularly about the unending threat of Islamic terrorism, and rail demagogically against Democratic politicians for not doing enough to protect us from the threat. Yet garden variety gun violence takes out magnitudes more Americans each year than terrorism.

Gun rights advocates might respond that the difference is the Second Amendment. But as Justice Scalia has pointed out, a right to bear arms does not rule out reasonable regulations on assault weapons, whose existence the Founders did not necessarily foresee. And in any case, the issue is simply how one evaluates risk.

http://secularright.org/SR/wordpress/gun-cont...

“God bless you, Mr. President”

Since: Jul 08

Peaceful, prosperous second

#841706 Jan 18, 2013
LooTER SHooTER wrote:
<quoted text> ID RATHER SEE IT SHUT DOWN THAN TO WATCH THE FURROR HAVE HIS WAY WITH UNCONTROLLABLE SPENDING!
Using "Furror" again? Don't you find that a bit "rediculous," Waxfruit?
carol

Orlando, FL

#841707 Jan 18, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it!
Some of us aren't against banning assault rifles. Then again, some of us don't much about guns either, myself included, and why I don't say much about this topic.

But the problem that still remains is criminals don't obey the law.

What I really think is happening is many don't trust the motives behind the knee jerk reaction to go after guns considering the extremes to which the left has gone to make law-abiding citizens look like criminals instead.

The president has always had a problem making his case without ostricizing and demonizing half the country.

That's why there's also a knee jerk reaction to bristle.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#841708 Jan 18, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Well, I just wanted to see what would "appear" to be better!
If you really had true capitalism, even the military would be put out to bid!
Right, the Military would be privately owned too & operated and everybody else be at the mercy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min wojar 177,340
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Cali Girl 2014dal 49,448
The Israel Lobby Eliminates Another Critic 1 hr Jew Snakes 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,935
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Silly times 4,662
Engagement Ring 3 hr rodeo3queen 4
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr truth-facts 46,292
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Phil Indeblanc 97,916
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search