Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

Since: Nov 09

Pharr, TX

#840856 Jan 17, 2013
moshx wrote:
<quoted text>if you knew anything about guns you would know your statement is false. Anyone with gun experience can change a magazine befor you could count to 3. And when a criminal is after unarmed victims who can't defend themselves an extra 3 seconds don't matter much.
If you knew anything about guns you'd know that in three seconds most people could get out of the effective accuracy range of a handgun. Or they would be able to get to the shooter. And I doubt there are many people that can change clips in three seconds.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#840855 Jan 17, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
'Gun Culture'-- What About the 'Fatherless Culture'?
In "Boyz n the Hood," Tre, played by Cuba Gooding Jr., has an active father in his life. Doughboy, played by Ice Cube, was raised without a father.
His mother resents him because she dislikes his father. On the other hand, Gooding's hardworking, responsible father, played by Laurence Fishburne, stays on his son. He warns him against hanging out with the wrong people and that becoming a street criminal was a trap. He lectures his son that "any fool with a (penis) can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children."
Studies show that children of divorced parents can have outcomes as positive as those coming from intact homes, provided the father remains financially supportive and active in his children's lives.
But what happens without dads in the 'hood?
In 1979, the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth found that fatherless kids were twice as likely to drop out of school and that girls who grew up without dads were 2.5 times more likely to become pregnant teenagers.
Rutgers University sociology professor David Popenoe published "Life Without Father" in 1996, where he describes the "massive erosion" of fathers in America. Popenoe concluded that boys raised without fathers were more likely to have problems with drugs, alcohol, behavior and social interactions. Several studies during the '90s found that disruption in family structures was a predictor of children's gang involvement.
Many on the left dismiss the importance of fathers as "right-wing," blame-the-victim propaganda.
Well, the late rapper Tupac Shakur, in the posthumously released documentary "Resurrection," said: "I know for a fact that had I had a father, I'd have some discipline. I'd have more confidence." He admits that he starting hanging out with gangs because he wanted to belong to a family structure, and it offered structure, support and protection -- the kind of thing we once expected home and family to provide.
The formula for achieving middle-class success is simple:
Finish high school;
don't have a child before the age of 20;
and get married before having the child.
Preparing for the future requires dedication. It requires deferring gratification, precisely the kind of "discipline" that Tupac admitted he lacked because he grew up without a father.
Doing what you want to do is easy. Doing what you have to do is hard. Dads, by getting up and going to work each day, send a powerful message every day to their children: Hard work wins. There are no short cuts. The outcome is unknowable. But the effort is entirely within your control.
http://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/201...
SOOO your black boyfriend ditched you?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#840857 Jan 17, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't work like that. You have a 25% chance of hitting something whether it's one shot or 100 shots.
Really,

If you fired 25 rounds & they hit 25% of the time, you shot about 6 people.

If you shoot 100 bullets & hit 25% of the time, you shot 25 people.

Are you really this stupid?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jane Says

New York, NY

#840858 Jan 17, 2013
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
SOOO your black boyfriend ditched you?
SOOO you can't refute what i wrote because it is true. the morning quiz is:

which party encouraged and funded the destruction of the black family in America?

which party dismantled the mental health system that keeps the criminally insane off the streets?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#840859 Jan 17, 2013
(Don't know if this posted, so I'm doing it again)

On Jan. 1, 2014, one of the reforms scheduled to take place under Obamacare is the individual mandate:

Most individuals will be required to carry health insurance and most employers (50 or more employees) must provide coverage. Both individuals and employers will face penalties for non-compliance.

But this is the part I don't get.

Certain groups will be exempt from the individual mandate including American Indians, those with religious objections and those who would face financial hardship by purchasing health insurance, i.e. insurance coverage costing more than 8 percent of your income.

Five questions (for starters):
1. What prevents anyone from claiming to have a religious objection?
2. How many government paper pushers will be needed to keep track of who gets what?
3. How is it fair to those who earn just above the financial hardship cutoff line who will still be struggling with the cost of insurance?
4. Who will pay for all those who are exempt because of religious objections or financial hardship?
5. If the SCOTUS ruled Obamacare allows states to opt out of healthcare exchanges without losing current Medicaid funding, what's the point?

As Greta Van Susteren pointed out: The whole idea of everybody being in is everybody's contributing to lower the cost of health care. So if everybody opts out - plus, we've got the problem that the president through the HHS has issued thousands of waivers - everyone's jumping ship! They're going to leave about five of us left standing paying for this!

Which leads back to question #4.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer 2013

Bethlehem, PA

#840860 Jan 17, 2013
Wild West Era Had Stricter Gun Control Than America Has Today

Despite the exaggerated violent stereotypes perpetuated by dime novels and Hollywood, the so-called Wild West wasn't quite as violent as we've been led to believe over the years.
Take, for example, the 1881 "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral," the most famous shootout in the history of the Old West. A mere three people died in this gunfight---an event that would be barely noticed in today's blood-soaked America, where many thousands of people are gunned down annually.
And yet, the O.K. Corral shootout has come to symbolize a wild, lawless West. It's part of the mythology of America that NRA gun lovers claim captures the "rugged individualism" and essence of what our nation is all about (as they furiously work to oppose any and all gun legislation as downright "un-American").
There's only one problem: the image of the Old West that exists in the popular imagination is largely fictional. It's all part of a myth that was created in the late 19th century by the dime novel authors, who enthralled their breathless, eager readers back East. The "Wild West" fantasy created by the dime novel was later taken up by generations of Hollywood films.
Any serious historian will tell you that the truth about the Wild West is rather more mundane. The Wild West era, in fact, was considerably less bloody than the violent reputation it has garnered over the years.
In fact, the exploits of the famous Wild West outlaws were often exaggerated. Take the most famous and notorious outlaw of them all: Billy the Kid. He was reported to have killed 21 men, "one for each year of his life."
The reality was more mundane. Billy the Kid's real name was Henry McCarty and he was born in New York City, of all places. And in truth, he likely only killed only two to four people. In fact, his exploits wouldn't even rate a front page story in today's violent America.

Occasionally, a Hollywood film will attempt to actually portray a realistic aspect of the Wild West. For example, Clint Eastwood's 1992 film, Unforgiven depicted a Wild West locale in which a city ordinance requires people entering the town to hand over their guns to the sheriff's office. The ordinance is harshly enforced. At various points in the film, newcomers to the town fail to observe the law. They are then visited by the sheriff, who forcibly disarms them at the barrel of a gun (and viciously beats them for good measure).
Gasp! Isn't this gun control?
The NRA gun nuts went ballistic when Eastwood's film was released. They claimed Eastwood was "inventing" history. When serious historians rose in Eastwood's defense to point out that many Old West towns did in fact have such policies, they failed to silence the NRA gun nuts who were upset that their John Wayne wet dream fantasies of the Old West were, in fact, bullshit.
Here we are, a century later, and there are less gun control laws on the books today in many areas of the U.S. than there were in many parts of the Old West. Despite what today's gun nuts would have us believe, in most of the U.S., it is still remarkably easy to buy a gun these days.
Of course, you'd never guess this was the case, if you listen to the NRA's hysterical propaganda. The NRA would have us believe that guns are already heavily regulated in America today and that the feds are on the verge of kicking in our doors and confiscating every last gun in the nation.

The fact is, the Old West was downright safe, compared to today's blood-soaked streets in America. For one thing, no one in the Old West ever had to face down a lethal killing instrument like a modern-day Glock semi-automatic pistol. Firearms in the Old West were downright crude and tame, compared to a Glock.
If even a Wild West town like Tombstone could have strict gun control ordinances, why can't we do the same as a nation today?

http://www.beggarscanbechoosers.com/2007/04/w...

Interesting

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jane Says

New York, NY

#840861 Jan 17, 2013
MORE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES OF OBAMACARE:

'A southwestern Pennsylvania hospital will stop delivering babies after March 31 because its obstetricians are either leaving or refocusing their practices, and because hospital officials believe they can’t afford it based on projected reimbursements under looming federal health care reforms.

The Windber Medical Center, about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, is losing two obstetricians and two others are shifting their focus more to gynecology.

Hospital officials say the population of women of child-bearing age is dropping and that the number of births the hospital would be called upon to perform isn’t enough for it to provide the service in the face of lower reimbursements under the federal Affordable Care Act.

The decision was based largely on the loss of four obstetricians. Drs. Amy Anderson and Pradeep Kulkarni have decided to no longer offer obstetric services and will instead focus on gynecological services, hospital public relations director Kim Oleksa said. Two other obstetricians, Dr. Canan Sahin-Kandemir and Dr. William Walker, are relocating. Sahin-Kandemir’s last day is March 31…

..The hospital also cited industry trends and projected reimbursements under the Affordable Care Act that would make the practice of obstetrics “only practical where there is a high volume of deliveries.” Windber Medical Center delivered more than 200 babies in 2012.'

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/201...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jane Says

New York, NY

#840862 Jan 17, 2013
Seung-Hui Cho, who committed the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007, had been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder as a child and placed under treatment.

But Virginia Tech was prohibited from being told about Cho's mental health problems because of federal privacy laws.

At college, Cho engaged in behavior even more bizarre than the average college student. He stalked three women and, at one point, went totally silent, refusing to speak even to his roommates. He was involuntarily committed to a mental institution for one night and then unaccountably unleashed on the public, whereupon he proceeded to engage in the deadliest mass shooting by an individual in U.S. history.

The 2011 Tucson, Ariz., shopping mall shooter, Jared Loughner, was so obviously disturbed that if he'd stayed in Pima Community College long enough to make the yearbook, he would have been named "Most Likely to Commit Mass Murder."

After Loughner got a tattoo, the artist, Carl Grace, remarked: "That's a weird dude. That's a Columbine candidate."

One of Loughner's teachers, Ben McGahee, filed numerous complaints against him, hoping to have him removed from class. "When I turned my back to write on the board," McGahee said, "I would always turn back quickly -- to see if he had a gun."

On her first day at school, student Lynda Sorensen emailed her friends about Loughner: "We do have one student in the class who was disruptive today, I'm not certain yet if he was on drugs (as one person surmised) or disturbed. He scares me a bit. The teacher tried to throw him out and he refused to go, so I talked to the teacher afterward. Hopefully he will be out of class very soon, and not come back with an automatic weapon."

The last of several emails Sorensen sent about Loughner said: "We have a mentally unstable person in the class that scares the living cr** out of me. He is one of those whose picture you see on the news, after he has come into class with an automatic weapon. Everyone interviewed would say, Yeah, he was in my math class and he was really weird."

That was the summer before Loughner killed six people at the Tucson shopping mall, including a federal judge and a 9 year-old girl, and critically wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, among others.

Loughner also had run-ins with the law, including one charge for possessing drug paraphernalia -- a lethal combination with mental illness. He was eventually asked to leave college on mental health grounds, released on the public without warning.
Click if you like this column!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer 2013

Bethlehem, PA

#840863 Jan 17, 2013
When the shooting starts Homer always moves in a zigzag pattern, it's much harder to be shot.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Loysville, PA

#840864 Jan 17, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
He wrote "Incorrect. Clips are easily changed."
Where in that statement do you see an agreement with the clip size ban?
Fool.
I know. You right whiners are all rather "slow".

I said that larger clips enable more destruction. Your buddy said no & that clips are easily changed.

If changing clips is the same as using a larger clip, then why do you care if larger clips are banned?

It's simple logic.

You can't argue that assault rifles are needed because they are more firepower & then argue that a ban is not valid because killers can do the same thing with less.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Loysville, PA

#840865 Jan 17, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a perfect example of how Realputz argues. he makes up a lie about what someone says, then runs with it. 3 years old have better understanding than he does.
Using logic.

You should try it sometime.
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#840866 Jan 17, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
If you knew anything about guns you'd know that in three seconds most people could get out of the effective accuracy range of a handgun. Or they would be able to get to the shooter. And I doubt there are many people that can change clips in three seconds.
You are right, by the time you eject the clip and fumble for another one having experience this a number of times as opposed to these know it all programmed draft dodgers on the right, i'm betting far more like 8 to 10 seconds. A hell of a lot can happen in that amount of time. I will guarantee if I'm within 10 to 15 yards of that idiot I can be all over him before he can reload. These fanatics on the right are so pathetic in their programmed beliefs that they will believe and do anything even at the expense of our children and soldiers...Yet they all profess morality and actually think they are wonderful christians.
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#840867 Jan 17, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's how rediculous you are.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-00122...

Of course, a Democrat proposed this.

Idiot.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#840868 Jan 17, 2013
'Perhaps if Carl Grace, Ben McGahee or Lynda Sorensen worked in the mental health field, six people wouldn't have had to die that January morning in Tucson. But committing Loughner to a mental institution in Arizona would have required a court order stating that he was a danger to himself and others.

Innumerable studies have found a correlation between severe mental illness and violent behavior. Thirty-one to 61 percent of all homicides committed by disturbed individuals occur during their first psychotic episode -- which is why mass murderers often have no criminal record. There's no time to wait with the mentally ill.

James Holmes, the accused Aurora, Colo., shooter, was under psychiatric care at the University of Colorado long before he shot up a movie theater. According to news reports and court filings, Holmes told his psychiatrist, Dr. Lynne Fenton, that he fantasized about killing "a lot of people," but she refused law enforcement's offer to place Holmes under confinement for 72 hours.

However, Fenton did drop Holmes as a patient after he made threats against another school psychiatrist. And after Holmes made threats against a professor, he was asked to leave campus. But he wasn't committed. People who knew he was deeply troubled just pushed him onto society to cause havoc elsewhere.

Little is known so far about Adam Lanza, the alleged Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooter, but anyone who could shoot a terrified child and say to himself, "That was fun -- I think I'll do it 20 more times!" is not all there.

It has been reported that Lanza's mother, his first victim, was trying to have him involuntarily committed to a mental institution, triggering his rage. If true -- and the media seem remarkably uninterested in finding out if it is true -- Mrs. Lanza would have had to undergo a long and grueling process, unlikely to succeed.

As The New York Times' Joe Nocera recently wrote: "Connecticut's laws are so restrictive in terms of the proof required to get someone committed that Adam Lanza's mother would probably not have been able to get him help even if she had tried."

Taking guns away from single women who live alone and other law-abiding citizens without mental illnesses will do nothing about the Chos, Loughners, Holmeses or Lanzas. Such people have to be separated from civil society, for the public's sake as well as their own. But this is nearly impossible because the ACLU has decided that being psychotic is a civil right.

Consequently, whenever a psychopath with a million gigantic warning signs commits a shocking murder, the knee-jerk reaction is to place yet more controls on guns. By now, guns are the most heavily regulated product in America.

It hasn't worked.

Even if it could work -- and it can't -- there are still subway tracks, machetes, fists and bombs. The most deadly massacre at a school in U.S. history was at an elementary school in Michigan in 1927. It was committed with a bomb. By a mentally disturbed man.

How about trying something new for once?'
RUSH10ME

Warsaw, VA

#840869 Jan 17, 2013
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
Just did it with a 10\22 .
Jane Says

New York, NY

#840870 Jan 17, 2013
Homer 2013 wrote:
When the shooting starts Homer always moves in a zigzag pattern, it's much harder to be shot.
you obviously also do the same when the boss is handing out work.
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#840871 Jan 17, 2013
Homer 2013 wrote:
Hi Homer, I'm curious to know how you determine whether to ZIG or ZAG? And do you Zig first? By the way didn't you just love the election. I think Romney must have zaged when he was supposed to zig.
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#840873 Jan 17, 2013
Not Surprized wrote:
<quoted text>
More meaningless crap from JIM-JIM, better know as WAXTURDS;
"the turd that just won't flush"!!
What would you propose to do about flushing the turd in the WH mr poop expert?

Since: Nov 09

Pharr, TX

#840874 Jan 17, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's how rediculous you are.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-00122...
Of course, a Democrat proposed this.
Idiot.
I saw all the judge-its so I knew you were back waxturd/jimmy/goober. Here's your lesson for the day:
If you remember from your NRA gun safety course, never let the bad guy get any closer than 20 feet. The reason for this is that even if you shoot him, he will still have a good chance to reach you and use your own gun against you before the bullet takes effect. So using NRA data, a good guy should be able to travel 20 feet in three seconds and have an opportunity to disable the bad guy and at least save others.
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#840875 Jan 17, 2013
Jane Says wrote:
<quoted text>SOOO you can't refute what i wrote because it is true. the morning quiz is:
which party encouraged and funded the destruction of the black family in America?
which party dismantled the mental health system that keeps the criminally insane off the streets?
Being desperate and embarrassed by your own party obviously has taken its toll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 min JOEL 71,080
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min Rogue Scholar 05 181,847
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 51 min mdbuilder 49,227
The Violence in Chicago is from Gangs and Not t... 1 hr Culture Auditor 1
daughter/father appropriate physical contact (Mar '12) 3 hr WOW 16
abby 12-21 4 hr PEllen 1
amy 12-21 4 hr PEllen 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance