Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#839404 Jan 15, 2013
Patriot wrote:
The Bayou Corne Sinkhole
The sinkhole in Bayou Corne, LA is NOT just a hole in the ground! This is a toxic, man made disaster, that has affected many lives, and has the potential to affect many more. We, the people of the area, do not feel that the state government is doing a sufficient job of cleaning this mess up. Please sign our petition to take this out of the state’s hands, and hopefully get this resolved. People need to move on with their lives here, and we currently cannot do that. We are stuck in sinkhole limbo! Not to mention the cumulative effect of being around these chemicals for an extended period of time.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/rec...
A man made salt dome?
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#839405 Jan 15, 2013
flack wrote:
Well in 3 days oldest daughter heads to D.C. for the coronation err the inauguration. Suppose to be cold as heck just like the first time. At least she gets to go to two seminars. One by Condi Rice and the other by Gen. West. Wish I could go hear those myself.
Another inaugural waste of the now declining dollar huh. All that bullchit hoopalah. Ought to be laws against wasting tax paid for dollars like that. Seminars offering at least educationally redemptive insights excluded :-).
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#839406 Jan 15, 2013
Overyeard en yemail-

The Founding Fathers Theory of "DUH".

"Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people".

(or what is sometimes referenced as the now a days elusiveness of the trait of common sense)
brown eyes

Salem, VA

#839407 Jan 15, 2013
United States Government I feel Conrhusker Hagel will play nice and be nice additiion to Cabinet I like Souteast Asia veterans he ha sense of humour NATO I have seen him smile approve him if he wants job that badly U.S. Congress. I am showing you I will try to work with angrier Republicans. Not all are so mean and angry just look at 41st President and wife was always nice to me in my job. GF008 Safer World 2013.
brown eyes

Salem, VA

#839408 Jan 15, 2013
Mob was used to fight WW2 AlQaeda beware of Italy. GF008 Safer World 2013.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#839409 Jan 15, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Carol, the Cambridge police did act stupidly in arresting an elderly man who needed a cane to walk inside his own home. If it had been black cops who did the same thing to an elderly white man then the Glenn Becks of the world would have raised all kinds of hell.
Obama's statement about his grandmother was a valid observation. I can remember one of my father's acquaintances stating that someone he knew should have shot his daughter because she was dating a "buck (n word)". I also remember my father's reaction to my brother marrying a black woman. Once my father got to know her however, his whole attitude changed and he and my mother spent a month at their house in San Diego.
Let's look at Obama's whole "guns and religion" statement;
"But the truth is, is that our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there's no evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, a lot -- like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they've gone through the Clinton administration and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are going to regenerate, and they have not. It's not surprising, then, that they get bitter, and they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations. At least in some communities, anyway."
That was the truth.
So why isn't the focus more on returning JOBS these days, rather than depleting what has been proven to work then.

Make good use of the Army..Safer schools 2013. We already have the workforce to do it.
Jedisfor America

Somerset, KY

#839410 Jan 15, 2013
CLINTON-CASTRO 2016-2024 wrote:
<quoted text> thank obama for saving your a$$ from al-queda, which leader's remains are floating in the ocean.
Thank you gathered intel and the AWESOME SEALS. Keep up the good work on looking for the other half of the team of psychotic sociopaths.
brown eyes

Salem, VA

#839411 Jan 15, 2013
Remember this Soprano's I am similar to Bobby Kennedy U.S. Attorney General who crackdowned on Mob. GF008 2013 Safer.
Jedisfor America

Somerset, KY

#839412 Jan 15, 2013
carol wrote:
Colin Powell says he's still a Republican but says "There's also a dark vein of intolerance in some part of the party" explaining they "still sort of look down on minorities."
Powell knows Republicans did more for his career than any Democrat.
Now he's falling for the liberal propaganda.
It's not that anyone "looks down" on minorities. Republicans want to give them as many opportunities as possible to lift themselves up.
Unlike democrats who rob them of their dignity, make them victims and support their dependency.
That's what republicans "look down" on.
Colin Powell needs to "look down" on this administration who has put even more people in poverty - and do some serious soul searching.
Anyone still here? Did I miss something earlier that caused everyone to run off?
Then Mr. Powell cannot deny the loathesomeness of a nation falling thirty years BACKWARDS, rather than forwards, prevalent in the past four years.
Mostly due to rampant sociological diseases and entitleMENTAL disorders of robbinghoodieticwink libuhrulTic type poliTics.

And that's not anyone's fault but the ignorance of the masses of their own.

Now if they'd just quit distracting Congress with their ignorant BS!!!!!!!!!
brown eyes

Salem, VA

#839413 Jan 15, 2013
The Virginian known as themen from shiloh in it's final year is an American western tv series starring James Drury and Doug McClure which aired on NBC from 1962 to 191. For a total of 249 episodes. The Virginian became th first 90 minute western series 75 minutes excluding commercial breaks it ran for 9 seasons. GF008 Safer World 2013
lol

Winter Park, FL

#839414 Jan 15, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
Overyeard en yemail-
The Founding Fathers Theory of "DUH".
"Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people".
(or what is sometimes referenced as the now a days elusiveness of the trait of common sense)
".....the revelation that there is already a law on the books that would prevent the government from making good on Biden’s tantalizing suggestion, a law that would actually prevent the government from collecting data on firearm ownership and more.

And what might that law be?

Obamacare.

That’s right—it turns out that there is, indeed, a provision buried deep in the thousands of pages that is the Affordable Care Act entitled,“Protection of Second Amendment Rights”. You’ll find it in Section 2716 part c of the Affordable Care Act."

Go to the link & see for yourself!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/01...

I have to add tho, since when a law, any law, stopped this bunch? The rule of law isn't adhered to... but it should be interesting anyway to see how this plays out.
lol

Winter Park, FL

#839415 Jan 15, 2013
DOJ Report: Youth Gun Violence Down 95% from 1994

"A recently released Department of Justice (DOJ) study shows that youth aged 12 through 17 are six times more likely to be attacked by someone using a knife instead of gun.

The study shows a heavy drop—a full 95%—in gun-related violence toward youth from 1994 to 2010.

Moreover, the study shows that "serious crimes against youth perpetrated at schools dropped 62%" over this same period of time.

The study also showed that youth who came from a single parent home were 3.8 times more likely to be a victim of violent crime and "homicide".
http://www.theinnoplex.com/news/newssub/doj-r...
carol

Orlando, FL

#839416 Jan 15, 2013
CLINTON-CASTRO 2016-2024 wrote:
<quoted text> blaming the dems for all the republican party's failures in the past and present, Nuculur Option and PDUPONT are just two posters who have caught you and WAXMAN ( AKA, FLORIDA) in numerous lies too many to mention carol.
Actually, I shed new light on their distortion of the truth - it isn't just the republicans' fault and democrats are as much to blame.

But I suppose they didn't lie insisting this isn't true. Correct?
carol

Orlando, FL

#839418 Jan 15, 2013
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
You love to watch torture, goes with your personality of enjoying human suffering
Waterboarding isn't really torture if it's done to a really bad guy who would kill every single man, woman and child in America if given half the chance. They gave him a cigarette and a nice meal afterwards and found bin Laden to boot.

Torintino's film of gratuitous violence would be more like watching torture to me. But you'd be sitting on the edge of your seat.
forks_make_us_fa t

Conway, AR

#839419 Jan 15, 2013
Boogey men stand up!

Homicide rates:

Firearm homicide 3.6 per 100,000
Automobile 10.9 per 100,000
Poisoning 13.9 per 100,000

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
forks_make_us_fa t

Conway, AR

#839420 Jan 15, 2013
Check that...

Deaths per 100k
Lincoln

United States

#839421 Jan 15, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I shed new light on their distortion of the truth - it isn't just the republicans' fault and democrats are as much to blame.
But I suppose they didn't lie insisting this isn't true. Correct?
If we default on debts clearly Republicans will own the blame!
carol

Orlando, FL

#839422 Jan 15, 2013
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush ruined his career, after making him make his case for war in front on the UN. Too bad Mr.Powell did not have the fortitude to defy Bush.
It was the same case Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer made in their joint statement before voting to pass the Iraq Resolution.

It was the same statement most democrats made during the Clinton administration before Clinton signed the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 calling for the removal of Saddam's regime - before 9/11.

It's amazing how well those blinders work. Are they comfortable?
Lincoln

United States

#839423 Jan 15, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Waterboarding isn't really torture if it's done to a really bad guy who would kill every single man, woman and child in America if given half the chance. They gave him a cigarette and a nice meal afterwards and found bin Laden to boot.
Torintino's film of gratuitous violence would be more like watching torture to me. But you'd be sitting on the edge of your seat.
why don't you "get waterboarded today" and report back tomorrow?

Nothing like experience over just typing on Topix
forks_make_us_fa t

Conway, AR

#839424 Jan 15, 2013
Mortality rates during child birth...

14.5 PER 100,000

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/materna...

Firearm homicide?
3.6 per 100,000....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 min Mister Tonka 98,539
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 min HughBe 70,142
Abby 10-30 16 min edogxxx 9
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min Rogue Scholar 05 179,650
Amy 10-30 38 min edogxxx 11
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 43 min Lawrence Wolf 50,752
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 4,814
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]