Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
772,921 - 772,940 of 1,096,626 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

John Galt wrote:
CABLE NEWS RACE
THURS. JAN 10, 2013
FOXNEWS O'REILLY 3,162,000
FOXNEWS BAIER 2,152,000
FOXNEWS FIVE 2,129,000
FOXNEWS HANNITY 2,005,000
MTV BUCKWILD 1,920,000
CMDY DAILY SHOW 1,880,000
FOXNEWS SHEP 1,704,000
FOXNEWS GRETA 1,401,000
CMDY COLBERT 1,220,000
MSNBC SCHULTZ 1,035,000
MSNBC MADDOW 982,000
MSNBC MATTHEW 954,000
MSNBC O'DONNELL 914,000
MSNBC SHARPTON 805,000
CNN PIERS 783,000
CNN COOPER 611,000
A Very Merry Christmas For MSNBC – A Very Unhappy Holiday For Fox News

The Christmas Wars:
It has suddenly become clear why Fox News has been so fixated on inciting a “War on Christmas.” It must be because the Christmas season has been devastatingly cruel to Fox News. This year the Nielsen ratings left a smoldering lump of coal in Fox’s stocking despite all the pandering they did to Old St. Nick. Apparently Fox was very naughty. Santa doesn’t approve of lying and, perhaps, viewers are getting tired of it as well (see Fox News Fux Up: The 12 Worst Wrongs Of 2012).

Maddow and O’Donnell Jingle Fox’s Bells:
For the month of December, two-thirds of the Fox News primetime lineup came in second to MSNBC (in the critical 25-54 year old demographic). The Rachel Maddow Show’s monthly average came in 4% above the formidable Fox fixture, Sean Hannity. Lawrence O’Donnell had an even better advantage of 11% over his weaker competition, Greta Van Susteren.

This was a stark difference from last year when Hannity comfortably led Maddow by 46% and Van Susteren outpaced O’Donnell by the same amount. Those leads have now completely evaporated. Only Bill O’Reilly has managed to keep his fat head above water, although his 69% December 2011 lead over Ed Schultz was cut nearly in half in 2012 to 40%.

December 2012 was an affirmation of the superior performance MSNBC has shown since the election in November. Maddow and O’Donnell have consistently defeated Hannity and Van Susteren since President Obama did the same thing to Mitt Romney. This can no longer be explained away by Fox defenders as mere depression on the part of conservative viewers who tuned out after an electoral spanking. That excuse may have made sense for a week or two, but not a full two months later with high profile news events like the “fiscal cliff,” new cabinet appointments, Benghazi hearings, the Petraeus scandal, and the Newtown school shooting dominating news coverage.

http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Covering Up Climate Change

Jill Fitzsimmons delivers the results of a Media Matters study on climate change coverage in 2012:

Together, the nightly news programs on ABC, CBS and NBC devoted only 12 segments to climate change in 2012. PBS' coverage stood out, with its nightly news program dedicating 23 segments to the issue.

Sunday morning was even worse:

Since 2009, climate coverage on the Sunday shows has declined every year. In 2012, the Sunday shows spent less than 8 minutes on climate change, down from 9 minutes in 2011, 21 minutes in 2010, and over an hour in 2009. The vast majority of coverage -- 89 percent -- was driven by politics, and none was driven by scientific findings.

This video is the first mention of the record-setting 2012 temperatures on Fox News - "before [host] Gutfeld interjected by shouting:'Lies.'" One day, I suspect, people will look back on that attitude and wonder why this kind of denialism only exists in any serious institutional form on the American right - anywhere in the world. No other major party of the right in the West is that crazy.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2013/...
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Oh my goodness! I've just got my period for the first time in five years! It's good news and bad news all at the same time!
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

John Galt wrote:
CABLE NEWS RACE
THURS. JAN 10, 2013
FOXNEWS O'REILLY 3,162,000
FOXNEWS BAIER 2,152,000
FOXNEWS FIVE 2,129,000
FOXNEWS HANNITY 2,005,000
MTV BUCKWILD 1,920,000
CMDY DAILY SHOW 1,880,000
FOXNEWS SHEP 1,704,000
FOXNEWS GRETA 1,401,000
CMDY COLBERT 1,220,000
MSNBC SCHULTZ 1,035,000
MSNBC MADDOW 982,000
MSNBC MATTHEW 954,000
MSNBC O'DONNELL 914,000
MSNBC SHARPTON 805,000
CNN PIERS 783,000
CNN COOPER 611,000
Obama-Biden win in 2012
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
gotta be real humiliating to be beat by Sharpton.
Sharpton's candidates won
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Thank GOD! Thank God, it's a miracle!
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

VeganTiger wrote:
Me and my wife had a longer discussion today about this (just finished). We got two kids and otherwise have had to think this looong over. If it should come to confrontations with the feds starting to kill and shoot tens of thousands or more, we will both join any resistance and be taking care of all the GSW'S. Just working without all the federal paperwork would be enough incentive to take up the trade again.
(Last time I took care of one was December 31st of last year. I have taken care of hundreds of them and trust me, there are MANY of us that would join in here. One thing is for sure. The feds can only park so many of THEIR wounded at the University hospitals as probably half or more of the trauma surgeons have gone as well.
This will be a total conflict and I think my best role would be to preserve lives (That the feds will try to take) and if they kill me for that, there is nothing I can do.....
It's, "My wife and I" I think? Otherwise you are relegating her (ungrammatically) to a secondary role in the conversation.
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"nutsucker"
The only thing "real dumb" beats is his meat. He is much like you, lies a lot ASSumes a lot, and runs off his mouth. I will add you are birds of a feather, cookoo coo birds.
Peace
KMA
Poor old repetitive lame azzed Eed, seemingly totally unaware of his degree of backwoods dumbness. If intelligence was gas that idiot couldn't even fart. Daily he repeats the very same child like verbal nonsense, one can almost hear his boastful psychotic laughter and lung deprived coughing after every mindless post.

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. I think I've got it now.
Money is taken from Social Security and put into the general fund, then Social Security is paid back from the general fund.
I think you should begin with something a lot simpler, like where money comes from. How money is manipulated in government obviously confuses you. So, let's begin with a very simple question:
Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?
To answer this question, you actually have to identify a source of money.
If you can't answer this simple question, any other discussion about government expenditures will be beyond your ability to understand.
You really are an idiot.

With a 2% tax reduction on the payroll tax, the general fund gets nothing & SS fund revenues are reduced. This reduction is replaced by monies from he general fund.

Do you know what a tax cut means?? Evidently not.

Why bother telling you where Obama gets his funding when you don't know where Bush got his. When you find out where Bush got his, you will know where Obama will get his.

BTW, You haven't thanked me for subsidizing your salary.

Loysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Clinton had the Fannie regs re written to allow them to accept sub prime mortgages, that's what really opened the flood gates. You really should get educated. I don't give greedy bankers a pass, I will maintain until my dying day government interference and coercion made it all possible.
Why would the Dimwitted Dave Mortgage Co. make bad loans? Why would you do that?
Another uninformed right whiner who has no clue about the CRA.

Loysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumbass dave was talking about 1 position, i was talking about his cabinet as a whole. I understand that's beyond your comprehension level, stupid fck.
But lets talk about why someone in your field had to ask what an eir is. Hahahaha
How many women were on Obama's original cabinet? You want to tell us it was all white men?

Out of the 4 recent nominations, one would have been a women if Republicans did not have a fit.

You are really pathetic.

Loysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
Has he nominated a woman? Would haves are what fairy tales are made of.
He would have nominated Rice.

Republicans said they would block Rice.

I guess its Republicans that hate women.

Since: Nov 09

Pharr, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

The argument that civilians need assault weapons to protect themselves from the government is absurd. Who, exactly, are you going to shoot? A police officer? A Marine? There is no Palace Guard. Politicians aren't going to knock on your door to take your gun. Some of you have said our military will turn on the government and support "the people". Who are the people? And if that is correct then why did you need the assault rifle?
If, as many of you claim, there is a civil war then you will be taking on the full force of the United States military with your rifles. That should thin out the idiot gene pool.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey stupid! The mortgage lenders like Countrywide and Indy Mac who made those toxic loans were never under any regulations. Are you all of a sudden a proponent of bigger government?
Bill Clinton deregulating the Community Reinvestment Act in 1995 started this mortgage crisis.

Lenders were pressured into giving home loans to unqualified people under the name of "Affordable Housing" or else get a visit from the ACLU.

You can search "Community Reinvestment Act" on YouTube and see video of Bush, McCain & Greenspan warning of serious problems while democrats Barney Frank, Maxine Waters and Chris Dodd are defending the CRA and Fannie Mae.

Both sides are guilty of allowing to happen.

But you should think twice before calling someone stupid.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Yes son. That's because cons feel they are above the heap!
Bravo on the recognition!
You just congratulated debil pretending to be me. He stole my name and my location.

Proving he's making a fool out of all of you.

FYI.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Why Republicans should watch their language

This coming week, House Republicans will gather in Williamsburg, Va., to discuss what went wrong in 2012. I’ve attended more than a dozen such congressional retreats since 1993, and I can already imagine how the conversations will go. Someone will undoubtedly come to the microphone to declare that what the GOP needs is a better brand, missing the essential point that candidates and political parties are about reputation, trust and ideas. You can’t sell them like soap or detergent.

But what you say in defense of those ideas matters, and what people hear matters even more.

Congressional Republicans are currently defined as nothing more than opponents of the president and friends of the powerful. This isn’t my opinion — it’s America’s opinion. My polling firm asked voters nationwide on election night to identify who or what the GOP was fighting for. Twice as many said “the wealthy” and “big business” than “hardworking taxpayers” or “small business.”

Their image is even worse today. The congressional Republicans’ message during the “fiscal cliff” debate last month was confused and chaotic. The debt-ceiling vote next month and the budget debate after that promise more of the same — unless House and Senate Republicans stop bickering and start coordinating and talking differently.

Just saying “no” to the president has its limits. House Republicans, since they have a megaphone that Senate Republicans don’t , will continue to be diminished until they start defining and stop being defined.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-re...

remember during the campaign when the nutjobs kept saying Obama was Wall Street even though Wall Street was supporting Mitt?

it's no wonder Mitt lost with all of that 'help' from the right wing 'media'.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Today, the most vociferous defenders of gun rights tend to be white, rural males who oppose any regulation. But theirs was once the ardently held position of radical African Americans. Notably, in the 1960s, Black Panthers Bobby Seale and Huey Newton toted guns wherever they went to make a point: Blacks needed guns to protect themselves in a country that wasn’t quite ready to enforce civil rights.

In one remarkable incident in May 1967, as recounted in The Atlantic by UCLA law professor Adam Winkler, 24 men and six women, all armed, ascended the California capitol steps, read a proclamation about gun rights and proceeded inside — with their guns, which was legal at the time.

Needless to say, conservatives, including then-Gov. Ronald Reagan, were suddenly very, very interested in gun control. That afternoon, Reagan told reporters there was “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”

The degree of one’s allegiance to principle apparently depends mainly on who is holding the gun.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kathle...

i kinda like the 'give a gun to a janitor' idea.

i bet FOX does too.....today.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

WH responds to petition to build the Death Star:

OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE RESPONSE TO
Secure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016.
This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For
By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

• The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
• The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
• Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/isn...

so cool.

Loysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Clinton deregulating the Community Reinvestment Act in 1995 started this mortgage crisis.
Lenders were pressured into giving home loans to unqualified people under the name of "Affordable Housing" or else get a visit from the ACLU.
You can search "Community Reinvestment Act" on YouTube and see video of Bush, McCain & Greenspan warning of serious problems while democrats Barney Frank, Maxine Waters and Chris Dodd are defending the CRA and Fannie Mae.
Both sides are guilty of allowing to happen.
But you should think twice before calling someone stupid.
Carol has fallen to the CRA lie.

Banks hated F & F because they thought F & F held an advantage in the marketplace.

So they went to their lap dog, Bush. Bush tried to pull off a huge power grab by trying to put F & F under White House control. Even Republicans told Bush to shove that idea.

I am calling you stupid.
TheIndependentMa jority

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes, that's what happens when you disobey orders!
They shouldn't have harrassed and manipulated the NATIVE American contintental people to start with. They weren't bothering anyone.

Retribution 'Ah say--a red blood uprising of revenge-Brits and other Euro smallpox carrying insects be damned lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 16 min Mimi Seattle 97,847
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min LRS 176,883
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr RACE 4,637
Fast Adderall,xanny ,MMJ- ADHD 1 hr Fast guy 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 46,244
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr BigRabbit 68,860
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 3 hr Sinatra 291

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••