Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
carol

Orlando, FL

#836450 Jan 10, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush Republican crash in Oct 2008 is what voters remembered when the turned their back on the republican candidate for president who polled an amusing 47%.
Can't help stupid. Or ignorance.

Waters, Frank and Schumer were in front of a camera everytime you turned around defending F&F for years before the bottom fell out.

Bush's warnings and the Congressional hearing under the Bush administration to try and rein in F&F were virtually ignored by the media.

A Democrat congressman accused Republicans and the investigation itself as a "public lynching" of F&F's Raines.

Pretending not to see isn't an excuse.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836451 Jan 10, 2013
Hagel, Healthcare, and “America’s Military Decline”

A recent op-ed by the New York Times’s compassionate conservative David Brooks demonstrates how to load an argument. In “Why Hagel Was Picked” Brooks complains about Americans choosing healthcare over military expenditures, arguing irrelevantly but emotionally that “voters and politicians care more about middle-class seniors than about poor children,” a contention he then expands by observing that “as the federal government becomes a health care state” Chuck Hagel will “supervise the beginning of America’s military decline.” Brooks calls it “choosing welfare over global power.”

As Brooks probably has very good health insurance as well as a nice private pension plan, he can afford to be cavalier about the many seniors, not all of whom are middle-class, who are dependent on Medicare to survive since whatever happens will not affect him personally. He projects rising healthcare costs based on current rates but does not address why medical care costs so much more in the United States compared to what is available in other first-world economies, a dysfunction that can be addressed if the political will exists to do so.

And his argument about “military decline” borders on the ridiculous, as he does not even attempt to make a case for the United States maintaining a million men and women in the armed forces. If the purpose of the U.S. military is to defend the nation, it would have the capability to do so even if it were half as large as it is now. Brooks is really talking about the ability to wage multiple wars overseas, which is something altogether different. Certainly that capability would diminish, and one might add thank God that it should do so.

The unmitigated failures of the past 11 years have demonstrated that the Brooks vision for what passes as foreign and defense policy should have been discarded long ago and replaced by something that is both more affordable and less interventionist.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/hagel-...
brown eyes

Christiansburg, VA

#836452 Jan 10, 2013
I was begged by European Command to re-inlist offers of promotion money education I was stubborn stuck with other officers who were mad over article 15 went state-side. GF008 Safer World 2013
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836453 Jan 10, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't help stupid. Or ignorance.
Waters, Frank and Schumer were in front of a camera everytime you turned around defending F&F for years before the bottom fell out.
Bush's warnings and the Congressional hearing under the Bush administration to try and rein in F&F were virtually ignored by the media.
A Democrat congressman accused Republicans and the investigation itself as a "public lynching" of F&F's Raines.
Pretending not to see isn't an excuse.
From his earliest days in office, Bush paired his belief that Americans do best when they own their own homes with his conviction that markets do best when left alone. Bush pushed hard to expand home ownership, especially among minority groups, an initiative that dovetailed with both his ambition to expand Republican appeal and the business interests of some of his biggest donors. But his housing policies and hands-off approach to regulation encouraged lax lending standards.

Bush did foresee the danger posed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-sponsored mortgage finance giants. The president spent years pushing a recalcitrant Congress to toughen regulation of the companies, but was unwilling to compromise when his former Treasury secretary wanted to cut a deal. And the regulator Bush chose to oversee them - an old school buddy - pronounced the companies sound even as they headed toward insolvency.

As early as 2006, top advisers to Bush dismissed warnings from people inside and outside the White House that housing prices were inflated and that a foreclosure crisis was looming. And when the economy deteriorated, Bush and his team misdiagnosed the reasons and scope of the downturn. As recently as February, for example, Bush was still calling it a "rough patch."

The result was a series of piecemeal policy prescriptions that lagged behind the escalating crisis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/business/wo...

you can keep trying but you don't have a right wing leg to stand on.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836454 Jan 10, 2013
Why the $1 trillion coin campaign is good for America

By meeting absurdity with absurdity, "mint the coin" advocates may show debt-ceiling hostage takers the recklessness of their own premises

http://theweek.com/article/index/238493/why-t...
pens_make_us_dum

Oklahoma City, OK

#836455 Jan 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
documented....
Statement of Administration Policy: H.R. 1461 - Federal Housing
Finance Reform Act of 2005
The Administration strongly believes that the housing GSEs should be focused on their core housing mission, particularly with respect to low-income Americans and first-time homebuyers. Instead, provisions of H.R. 1461 that expand mortgage purchasing authority would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php...
wanna guess who sponsored it?
The House bill, the 2005 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act, would have created a stronger regulator with new powers to increase capital at Fannie and Freddie, to limit their portfolios and to deal with the possibility of receivership.
Mr Oxley reached out to Barney Frank, then the ranking Democrat on the committee and now its chairman, to secure support on the other side of the aisle. But after winning bipartisan support in the House, where the bill passed by 331 to 90 votes, the legislation lacked a champion in the Senate and faced hostility from the Bush administration.
Adamant that the only solution to the problems posed by Fannie and Freddie was their privatization, the White House attacked the bill. Mr Greenspan also weighed in, saying that the House legislation was worse than no bill at all.
Oxley isn’t too happy about all the criticism Congress is getting for letting Fannie and Freddie get too big.
“All the hand wringing and bedwetting is going on without remembering how the House stepped up on this,” he says.“What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”
http://www.salon.com/2008/09/10/greenspan_bus...
wouldn't it be nice if the right wing bloggers/FOX would tell the whole story?
Again...tv man...
Who made the PEOPLE TAKE THE MONEY...

Who said they did not have to pay it back?
carol

Orlando, FL

#836456 Jan 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
documented....
Statement of Administration Policy: H.R. 1461 - Federal Housing
Finance Reform Act of 2005
The Administration strongly believes that the housing GSEs should be focused on their core housing mission, particularly with respect to low-income Americans and first-time homebuyers. Instead, provisions of H.R. 1461 that expand mortgage purchasing authority would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php...
wanna guess who sponsored it?
The House bill, the 2005 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act, would have created a stronger regulator with new powers to increase capital at Fannie and Freddie, to limit their portfolios and to deal with the possibility of receivership.
Mr Oxley reached out to Barney Frank, then the ranking Democrat on the committee and now its chairman, to secure support on the other side of the aisle. But after winning bipartisan support in the House, where the bill passed by 331 to 90 votes, the legislation lacked a champion in the Senate and faced hostility from the Bush administration.
Adamant that the only solution to the problems posed by Fannie and Freddie was their privatization, the White House attacked the bill. Mr Greenspan also weighed in, saying that the House legislation was worse than no bill at all.
Oxley isn’t too happy about all the criticism Congress is getting for letting Fannie and Freddie get too big.
“All the hand wringing and bedwetting is going on without remembering how the House stepped up on this,” he says.“What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”
http://www.salon.com/2008/09/10/greenspan_bus...
wouldn't it be nice if the right wing bloggers/FOX would tell the whole story?
You, sir, are the one being duped into believing something that is not entirely true.

Will you admit Democrats also played a major role in this economic downturn?

If you can't - or won't - there's no point in continuing this discussion.
pens_make_us_dum

Conway, AR

#836457 Jan 10, 2013
-cont....

Abu Gharib...

71 in lawsuit...

Thats,
$73k per...
To be photographed naked...

http://www.armytimes.com/mobile/news/2013/01/...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836458 Jan 10, 2013
Right-wingers want to erase how George Bush's "Homeowner Society" helped cause the economic collapse

http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/attempt-...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836460 Jan 10, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You, sir, are the one being duped into believing something that is not entirely true.
Will you admit Democrats also played a major role in this economic downturn?
If you can't - or won't - there's no point in continuing this discussion.
major? no more so then Bush.

if it makes you feel better, he was just continuing with the same program that Clinton started. but no one forced him to do it. and you wingnuts keep talking about Dems, but for 6 years Congress was republican and they did nothing. but if you want you can try to demonstrate how dems treated Bush like republicans now treat Obama. that will be a guaranteed hoot.
pens_make_us_dum

Conway, AR

#836461 Jan 10, 2013
Comedy alert!

Irony?

Nope...liberals!!!!

'Union bosses won't allow their office workers to unionize'

http://americanglob.com/2013/01/09/for-the-li...

Hahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836462 Jan 10, 2013
pens_make_us_dum wrote:
<quoted text>
Again...tv man...
Who made the PEOPLE TAKE THE MONEY...
Who said they did not have to pay it back?
no one made them. they just made it so easy that you would have looked stupid for not taking the money.

and there was that guarantee of a booming economy that never came to pass. now who was it that made that failed prediction? a democrat?

so the Bush premise was....how could anyone get hurt?
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#836463 Jan 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
documented....
Statement of Administration Policy: H.R. 1461 - Federal Housing
Finance Reform Act of 2005
The Administration strongly believes that the housing GSEs should be focused on their core housing mission, particularly with respect to low-income Americans and first-time homebuyers. Instead, provisions of H.R. 1461 that expand mortgage purchasing authority would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php...
wanna guess who sponsored it?
The House bill, the 2005 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act, would have created a stronger regulator with new powers to increase capital at Fannie and Freddie, to limit their portfolios and to deal with the possibility of receivership.
Mr Oxley reached out to Barney Frank, then the ranking Democrat on the committee and now its chairman, to secure support on the other side of the aisle. But after winning bipartisan support in the House, where the bill passed by 331 to 90 votes, the legislation lacked a champion in the Senate and faced hostility from the Bush administration.
Adamant that the only solution to the problems posed by Fannie and Freddie was their privatization, the White House attacked the bill. Mr Greenspan also weighed in, saying that the House legislation was worse than no bill at all.
Oxley isn’t too happy about all the criticism Congress is getting for letting Fannie and Freddie get too big.
“All the hand wringing and bedwetting is going on without remembering how the House stepped up on this,” he says.“What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”
http://www.salon.com/2008/09/10/greenspan_bus...
wouldn't it be nice if the right wing bloggers/FOX would tell the whole story?
That pretty much sums it up__Carol and her new bff will continue attempting to hawk their bizzaro world version of events though.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#836464 Jan 10, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
I already proved you the fool on that one.
Your old, weak butt against against a tank. Hardy-har-har.
It didn't work for the Syrian rebels, didn't work for the Russians.
American deliveries through Lend-Lease amounted to $11 billion in materials: over 400,000 jeeps and trucks; 12,000 armored vehicles (including 7,000 tanks); 11,400 aircraft and 1,75 million tons of food.
We basically provided the Soviets with an economy during WWII. We provided over 50% of their needs to fight Hitler.
And your weak attempt to bring in a timeline is proof of how weak your line of BS is.
We provided Russia with an entire economy during WWII, while theirs was in total collapse.
What did Stalin's purges have to do with anything, other than your disjointed attempt to wiggle out of your lies??
Armed civilians stand zero chance against any paramilitary or military force.
For you to think otherwise only proves what a fantasy world you live in.
You're an old, gay man. You wouldn't stand a chance.
What colour is the sky there??
You obviously have no idea of the scale of the war between Russia and Germany.
And, you have no idea of the schedule of delivery.
Here's your facts again:
Delivery of supplies didn't peak until 1944. The vast majority of the equipment you reference was delivered after this time. At this time the Germans had already been defeated and were in full retreat from Russia. Here's the significant events again:

German defeat at Stalingrad winter 1942-43.
(Americans land in Morocco, Brits get run out of Libya and retreat to Egypt)
(US Navy Adm King in 1941-2, opposed the introduction of convoys. Few ships making it successfully to Minsk, most being sunk in the middle of the Atlantic.)
(In the Pacific, Japan bombs Calcutta, India; Japan bombs Darwin, Austrailia; Americans win Guadacanal; Americans win Buna, New Guinea; Brits begin guerilla war in Burma)

Last German counter-offensive Kursk, Belarus, to stop the Russian advance on all fronts July-August 1943. It becomes a foregone conclusion Russia will defeat Germany.
(Americans adopt the convoy system and the supplies to Russia rise above a trickle.)
(Allies in Sicily. No allied boots on the ground on the entire continent of Europe.)
(U.S. begins submarine warfare against Japanese shipping, Japanese end their occupation of the Aleutian Islands)

If you had any real knowledge of events, it will be obvious to you from history that at the time it became a foregone conclusion that Russia was going to defeat Germany and had already pushed the German army back to the border of Belarus with Eastern European countries and had them in headlong retreat, the amount of supplies from the United States to Russia equaled a mere trickle.
The amounts you reference are almost all that was delivered after Russia had beat the Germans, and had them in headlong retreat on all fronts, and the battle lines criss-crossed the Soviet Union-Eastern Europe border.

You are not only an ignorant dupe, you are an idiot.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#836465 Jan 10, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, another Dumbass right whiner. Oh wait, it the same f*cking uninformed right whiner Dumbass.
So salaried people don't work.
The last time I turned in a time sheet was with a summer job as a kid.
I guess you're still there.
You still didn't answer the question Davey Boie, just blowin' smoke, as you always do?? You do the Yeahoo proud, you're almost as good, not quite almost??
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836466 Jan 10, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>That pretty much sums it up__Carol and her new bff will continue attempting to hawk their bizzaro world version of events though.
here's a good one.

Text: President Bush's Acceptance Speech to the Republican National Convention

"Another priority for a new term is to build an ownership society, because ownership brings security and dignity and independence.

Thanks to our policies, home ownership in America is at an all- time high."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles...

'our policies'
brown eyes

Christiansburg, VA

#836467 Jan 10, 2013
President James Knox Polk was 11th President of the United States of America. Polk was last strong pre Cival War President. Polk led the nation to a victory in the Mexican-American War. Which gave the United States most of it's [resent Southwest. GF008 Safer World 2013

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#836468 Jan 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
major? no more so then Bush.
if it makes you feel better, he was just continuing with the same program that Clinton started. but no one forced him to do it. and you wingnuts keep talking about Dems, but for 6 years Congress was republican and they did nothing. but if you want you can try to demonstrate how dems treated Bush like republicans now treat Obama. that will be a guaranteed hoot.
Don't forget Chrissy Dodd, and Chucky Schumer expounded in Congress that there was no problem with the Savings & Loans??
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#836469 Jan 10, 2013
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Don't forget Chrissy Dodd, and Chucky Schumer expounded in Congress that there was no problem with the Savings & Loans??
you mean they said something?

omg, people talking about stuff causes other stuff to miraculously happen! or not!

if that's the case, there's a whole bunch of Bush quotes that you don't want to hear.

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#836470 Jan 10, 2013
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>You still didn't answer the question Davey Boie, just blowin' smoke, as you always do?? You do the Yeahoo proud, you're almost as good, not quite almost??
What question was that, dickhead.

You said Obama did not turn in a time sheet.

He did work in the private sector.

You want to argue that point or do you want to argue that only people who turn in time sheets work.

Make up your mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 min Phil McOxwell 5,706
Who Do We Blame For Bruce Jenner? 11 min Phil McOxwell 1
New Game (words that start with T) 20 min Tim Blaxton 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Agents of Corruption 51,393
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr American Lady 184,824
Abby 2-28-15 4 hr Pippa 4
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr TRD 69,103
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Best Options to Replace Briggs This Offseason
Bleacher Report 8:12 AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future