Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
brown eyes

Roanoke, VA

#834039 Jan 5, 2013
Good morning fellow debaters any New Years resolutions.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
RUSH10ME

Emporia, VA

#834041 Jan 5, 2013
brown eyes wrote:
Good morning fellow debaters any New Years resolutions.
Yes , hide more money ,pay less taxes and try to starve this obese govt. and in the process force you into getting a job and pulling your own weight.
brown eyes

Roanoke, VA

#834043 Jan 5, 2013
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>Yes , hide more money ,pay less taxes and try to starve this obese govt. and in the process force you into getting a job and pulling your own weight.
Lol I have a job and there's nothing wrong with the United States Government. Virginia voted for President Obama you need to get with the program.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#834045 Jan 5, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference between providing information to the government, even if it can be obtained by specific request, versus having that information published in mass media.
Its a public record because we are the government.

Location hidden

#834046 Jan 5, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Using your logic, when a police officer is shot, there is no sense having a surgeon remove the bullet and save his life. After all, he will probably just get shot again.
The point is helping people who need help. So what if the money comes from the federal government. I suspect that most of the homeowners who are suffering in those areas have payed plenty in federal taxes at some point in their lives. Some of them may have even lost their sons in wars they were sent to fight by the federal government. Do I think people like that are owned something by the federal government? You bet I do.
The way SFHA is structured makes it a gimme for developers and insurers so no, I don't feel like I should have to subsidize their wallets. It also incentivises building in flood-prone areas.
Brown Girl in the Ring

UK

#834047 Jan 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The 72 Chevelle is a nice car.
It saddens me to know that such a great car is owed by such an ass as to mock emissions & efforts to reduce our dependence on oil.
Not really into cars so i dnt know what a chevelle is but assume that its a monster. Some men use their cars because they think it adds to their prowess a bit like some a doddery old bloke going around in a super fast sports car but creaks and groans as he struggles to get in and out of it.

Location hidden

#834048 Jan 5, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Ann Coulter screamed that they should publish the names of women who had abortions. These people are sick in the head beyond words.
Btw, I don't think the names and addresses of gun owners should have been published either. What about privacy?
That's the prickly side of all these licenses, laws, and regulations, you can have no expectation of privacy when you submit information to a government of the people, for the people, and by the people.
Nj raider 1

United States

#834051 Jan 5, 2013
I don't think these people are upset about the presidents reelection as much as how he was reelected. It was their children (young white kids 18 to 25) that actually was the driving force to push the president over the top. These folks thought his victory in"08 was a fluke. Now reality has hit & hit hard, we begin to hear all their bullshit excuses. Oh he's hiding something because he won't show his college transcript. Americans died in benghazi & he lied, blah, blah, blah. As I stated before", a bunch of bullshit"! Their little hearts are broken because their children didn't grow up to be the racist they are & their parents were. Get over it, the man won fair & square & for next 4yrs, the President of The United States of America!

Location hidden

#834052 Jan 5, 2013
pens_make_us_dum wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy!
Philosophy!!!!
Ok...you are on the beach and a black teenager and a white teenager start screaming for help...they are drowning...
Equal distances from you...
Which one do you save?
How cold is the water?

If its winter I'll be saddened watching two kids drown.

I'll be calling 911 'cause I'm in no condition to go diving into the water to save anybody then I'd watch all the action from the doughnut shop.

To address your dilemma by putting up a different scenario I'd try to save the one I was most likely going to successfully save, race wouldn't be a consideration.

Location hidden

#834053 Jan 5, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
it's full of pork, dork, open your eyes
You're talking about the Senate bill that Boehner killed. Ironically all the pork in it went to red states with Republican Senators. That's how Reid bought their votes.

Typical big-government, big-spending Republican Senators in Alaska, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana who believe debt money grows on trees.
carol

Orlando, FL

#834054 Jan 5, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>There is no forgiving your kind of stupidity Carol, you should really take some time away from politics.
Unless you're just one more dirtbag troll whose only mission in life is to throw flames.
If that's so you fail there too babe.
Realtime, if you recall, I had to post the top 3 Obama Team Cheerleaders headlines referring to the "fiscal cliff" which you were convinced was a Fox phrase.

Your anger this time stemmed from my post claiming thousands have been massacred in Syria.

CNN - The United Nations said last week that more than 4,000 people have died in Syria since a government crackdown against protesters erupted in mid-March.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/09/world/meast/syr...

Do you always like shooting the messenger?

Or are you angry about something else?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#834055 Jan 5, 2013
The Myth of the Job Creator

The popular notion of the so-called “Job Creator” is a myth. Yet the very idea of Job Creators represents the most basic argument in the Supply Side story, a concept which postulates that economic growth requires expanding the means of production. The term Job Creator has been repeated and spun so frequently on Capitol Hill and across America, almost exclusively from Conservatives, that it has become accepted wisdom that job growth is determined by the means of production, the supply-side of the economy. It is not.

The reason is so stunningly simple and basic that it’s almost entirely invisible by politicians and pundits alike. This is because contrary to the supply-side mantra, most businesses are unwilling to expand hiring unless the new jobs are justified by sufficient Market Demand. It is for this reason that the popular supply-side policies of tax cuts and credits have done little to stimulate domestic hiring. If anything businesses have converted the government largesse of lower taxes into enhanced profitability, with little in the way of new jobs materializing.

So who precisely are the real job creators? Simple, just visit the mall, or any place where goods and services are purchased. The real source of market demand is consumption, and it is the increase in demand, not supply, and that persuades businesses to hire. Yet for the past thirty years conservatives have had an ideological love affair with supply side economics. It entirely fits of course. Modern day conservatives are clearly the party of the top 1%, and so a policy of rewarding wealthy interests is perfectly aligned with their support base. And as everybody else would prefer lower taxes, it plays well to many voters, or at least those people who are unable or unwilling to recognize the vast wealth that is being surreptitiously funneled to the super rich.

Except that it doesn’t work, at least for the bottom 99%. So it is not surprising that since supply side went main stream wealth has gone almost entirely to the top, and real wages have been stagnant. Yet conservative politicians remain adamant that low taxes will fix the economy AND low spending will fix the deficit, completely ignoring that the only genuine solutions to balancing our public finances requires more revenues as well. Even business interests are coming around to acknowledge that President H. W. Bush was right all along, it really is Voodoo Economics.

So if businesses are unwilling to expand hiring on US soil until domestic demand warrants it, a pointedly Demand-Side requirement, then why does this ineffective ideology continue to wreck so much havoc on Washington’s ability to implement economically sensible policies? I contend that only when we figure that out will we be able to avoid artificially created Fiscal Cliffs.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/04/1176...

Location hidden

#834056 Jan 5, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you support Obama bankrupting America?
I don't any more than I support Republicans bankrupting it. Since the Republicans took Congress in '95 year over year spending has increased an average of 8% under Republicans and 7.5% under Democrats so the Democrats are marginally better. What makes Republicans particularly repugnant is that their entire platform is a lie and a delusion. If you believe you're doing the right thing while in reality you're doing the very wrong thing you're going to keep doing it because you've convinced yourself its the right thing.

Location hidden

#834058 Jan 5, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
he first amendment for your ilk only concerns those you agree with, deny it liar.
Deny.

I think it was pretty shi tty of the paper to publish it.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#834059 Jan 5, 2013
An amazing mea culpa from the IMF’s chief economist on austerity

Consider it a mea culpa submerged in a deep pool of calculus and regression analysis: The International Monetary Fund’s top economist today acknowledged that the fund blew its forecasts for Greece and other European economies because it did not fully understand how government austerity efforts would undermine economic growth.

The new and highly technical paper looks again at the issue of fiscal multipliers – the impact that a rise or fall in government spending or tax collection has on a country’s economic output.

That it comes under the byline of fund economic counselor and research director Olivier Blanchard is significant. Fund research is always published with the caveat that it represents the views of the researcher, not the institution itself. But this paper comes from the top, and attempts to put to rest an issue that has been at the center of debate about how fast countries should move in their efforts to tame large debts and deficits.

If fiscal multipliers are small, countries can cut spending faster or raise more in taxes without much short-term damage. If they are large, then the process can become self-defeating, at least in the short run, with each dollar of government spending cuts, for example, costing the economy more than a dollar in lost output and thus actually increasing debt-to-GDP ratios.

That is what has been happening with a vengeance in Greece, where fund forecasters, as part of the country’s first bailout program in 2010, predicted that the nation could cut deeply into government spending and pretty quickly bounce back to economic growth and rising employment.

Two years later, the Greek economy is still shrinking and unemployment is at 25 percent.

Of course no two circumstances are alike. Shut out of international bond markets, Greece had little choice but to begin bringing its public finances into line or face a catastrophic default. Financing wasn’t available to sustain prior spending levels. For an economy that has been reeling for several years, however, a billion or two in extra government programs or investment could have kept a few small businesses open and kept a few more families employed and spending.

“Forecasters significantly underestimated the increase in unemployment and the decline in domestic demand associated with fiscal consolidation,” Blanchard and co-author Daniel Leigh, a fund economist, wrote in the paper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...

Location hidden

#834060 Jan 5, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Realtime, if you recall, I had to post the top 3 Obama Team Cheerleaders headlines referring to the "fiscal cliff" which you were convinced was a Fox phrase.
Your anger this time stemmed from my post claiming thousands have been massacred in Syria.
CNN - The United Nations said last week that more than 4,000 people have died in Syria since a government crackdown against protesters erupted in mid-March.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/09/world/meast/syr...
Do you always like shooting the messenger?
Or are you angry about something else?
Half a million people killed in the Sudan and nary a peep from our resident bleeding heart.

You realize the Russians are still packing political prisoners off to gulags don't you? When are we gonna bomb them?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#834061 Jan 5, 2013
IMF Details Errors in Calling for Austerity

The International Monetary Fund is revising its metrics on how fast governments should cut their budgets, with the IMF’s top economist making the case that Europe’s fiscal diets were too severe.

In a new paper published Thursday, IMF Economic Counsellor Olivier Blanchard and research-department economist Daniel Leigh show the IMF recommended slashing budgets too fast early in the euro crisis, starving many economies of much-needed growth.

In “Growth Forecast Errors and Fiscal Multipliers,” Messrs. Blanchard and Leigh calculate IMF and European economists underestimated the euro-for-euro effect of cutting government budgets. While economists expected that cutting a euro from the budget would cost around 50 cents in lost growth, the actual impact was more like 1.50 per euro.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/01/03/imf...

austerity doesn't work, and not one person here can prove that it does.

but we can talk about that which shows that the opposite does. and oh sure, some nutjob will try to say that the Clinton era was due to everything but raising taxes, but it matters not when you look at the fact that raising taxes has never hurt the economy.

and why is that every time we cut taxes we end up spending more?

tough questions for a FOXbot.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#834062 Jan 5, 2013
Nj raider 1 wrote:
I don't think these people are upset about the presidents reelection as much as how he was reelected. It was their children (young white kids 18 to 25) that actually was the driving force to push the president over the top. These folks thought his victory in"08 was a fluke. Now reality has hit & hit hard, we begin to hear all their bullshit excuses. Oh he's hiding something because he won't show his college transcript. Americans died in benghazi & he lied, blah, blah, blah. As I stated before", a bunch of bullshit"! Their little hearts are broken because their children didn't grow up to be the racist they are & their parents were. Get over it, the man won fair & square & for next 4yrs, the President of The United States of America!
It's normal with people of your ilk and age, to think as you do. You are the racist. Barack Hussein Obama, couldn't run a lemonade stand, and yet idiots such as yourself and 'Obama Money' elected him not once, but made the mistake a second time.. Where is landowner voting, when it is needed. As far as BS is concerned you throw it well. Keep up your shoveling..
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#834063 Jan 5, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Half a million people killed in the Sudan and nary a peep from our resident bleeding heart.
You realize the Russians are still packing political prisoners off to gulags don't you? When are we gonna bomb them?
do they talk about that stuff on FOX?

if not, then it must not be important.

Location hidden

#834064 Jan 5, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
do they talk about that stuff on FOX?
if not, then it must not be important.
You're right, one does need to keep in mind that they may have never even heard of a thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 min J RULES 71,319
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min positronium 49,381
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 11 min Red_Forman 724
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 11 min Red_Forman 4,929
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 14 min not a ghost 391
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 24 min not a ghost 1,143
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Frank 182,326
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:58 am PST

NFL 6:58AM