Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 38,313)

Showing posts 766,241 - 766,260 of1,071,075
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
krissy

Puyallup, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

killtaker wrote:
Israel, guns, and schools...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldview...

The United States stands truly alone in the developed world for its lax gun laws, which have contributed to Americans owning guns at a far higher rate than anyone else. The National Rifle Association, in its pushback against calls for gun restrictions after the Sandy Hook Elementary mass shooting, has portrayed things somewhat differently. NRA chief Wayne LaPierre has drawn comparisons to Israel, saying that the U.S. should follow Israel’s example of loose gun laws and of responding to mass shooting by posting armed guards at schools.

LaPierre echoes a number of commentators who oppose gun restrictions and cite Israel as an ideal example. The argument goes like this: Israel has lots of guns and lower rates of gun violence, so clearly the problem with America is not our guns but something else.

The only problem is that Israel actually has quite strong gun restrictions and very low gun ownership rates, some of the lowest in the developed world. This confusion has gotten so bad that even Israeli government officials are now chiming in to knock back the claims, though the NRA is seen as a close ally of the U.S. Republican party, which positions itself as strongly backing Israel.

LaPierre appeared to take his Israel-model advocacy a step too far when he declared on Meet the Press this weekend,“Israel had a whole lot of school shootings, until they did one thing. They said we’re going to stop it and they put armed security in every school and they have not had a problem since then.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Foreign Ministry told the New York Daily News that this was simply wrong.“We didn’t have a series of school shootings, and they had nothing to do with the issue at hand in the United States. We had to deal with terrorism,” he said.“What removed the danger was not the armed guards but an overall anti-terror policy and anti-terror operations which brought street terrorism down to nearly zero over a number of years.” The spokesperson added,“It would be better not to drag Israel into what is an internal American discussion.”

Israeli guns laws, it turns out, are much stricter than America’s gun laws. This may help explain why Israeli gun ownership is just one thirteenth of what it is in the U.S. To bring that number into focus, it would likely be even lower if not for mandatory military service, which means Israelis are more likely to be familiar with guns. Israel’s unique security challenges and its periodic bouts with terrorism would also seem to bolster an NRA-style case for allowing more privately owned guns so that more citizens can defend themselves. And yet, there are far fewer guns in private citizens’ hands, and far less gun crime.

So why does Israel look more like gun-controlling Britain than gun-loving American? Why are Israel and the U.S. near opposite extremes among Western nations when it comes to gun laws? As American scholar Janet Rosenbaum put it in an article for ForeignPolicy.com ,“Israel has well-known security concerns, but it limits security to the professionals.” Whereas Americans laws privilege free access to guns and then restrict them from there, Israeli laws, Rosenbaum writes,“are designed to keep amateurs from carrying guns in the street — even amateurs who have served 3 years in the army.

Israel limits gun ownership to security workers, people who transport valuables or explosives, residents of the West Bank, and hunters. People who don’t fall into one of those categories cannot obtain a firearm permit. Moreover, Israel rejects 40 percent of firearm permit applicants, the highest rejection rate in the Western world. Both Switzerland and Israel require yearly (or more frequent) permit renewals to insure that the reasons are still applicable.
THE DEBIL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

GOD DID IT, I BELIEVE IT, THAT'S THE END OF IT. ASK THE L'IL WOMAN...

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
She said we did not start the wars but I don't remember Afghanistan attacking us. Japan attacked us, I don't remember Afghanistan attacking us. Much of northern South America has been harboring criminals that have been attacking us for over 30 years but I don't remember invading and occupying any of those countries.
Spain didn't attack us either until William Randolph Hearst opened his big mouth and Joseph Pulitzer jumped in.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

THE DEBIL wrote:
<quoted text>
OH, HONEY. I OWN YOUR ASS. THE REASON I OWN YOUR ASS IS THAT YOU GOTTA WORK LIKE HELL TO PROTECT IT. THERE ONE OTHER REASON TOO, IT CAUSE YOU TRYIN' TO PROTECT YOU STUFF, YOU FAMILY. HEHEHEHEHEHEHE... ME? NOT SO MUCH. I CAN TAKE THE HEART RIGHT OUT YOU BODY AN' THERE NOT A GODDAM THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT, CLOWN. I DON' VALUE THE SAME THINGS YOU DO. NOW PLAY WITH ME, PUSSY. MAKE MY NIPPLES HARD.
I work like hell so that I can have the finer things in life...

...and I can defend what I have...

You? You are, at best, a 95 IQ minority...babbling on here, not making a lick of sense! You are comic relief for people on the crapper...

At your highest you are insignificant. Thats why you talk big in here...because in the scheme of life you are quite little...

As for me? I will not be denied my destiny...you already flushed yours down the toilet...
THE DEBIL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

SHE MIGHT TELL YOU, YOU ALL THE MAN SHE EVER NEED, BUT WHEN WE NAKED IN THE LOCKER ROOM YOU KNOW IT AIN'T TRUE, DON' YOU HONEY? HARD TO TEAR YOU EYES AWAY FROM IT... DEBIL SEEN THAT LOOK OF SHOCK AN' AWE A MILLION TIMES AN' HE KNOW HOW GREEDY YOU ARE. EAT YOU HEART OUT, HONEY.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
She just helped the poor fellow catch his train.
Bad joke.
Have you ever read the long list of absolutely stupid comments issued from Bloomberg's mouth?
The guy is murdered in a horrible fashion and Mikey Bloomberg wants to stress the overall safety of NY? We call him the Alzheimers Mayor around here. He needs to go.
New York City should be forced to install safety gates on their obviously unsafe subway platforms to prevent riders from being pushed or from jumping onto the tracks. Bloomberg should be sued, personally, for each subway death.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Spain didn't attack us either until William Randolph Hearst opened his big mouth and Joseph Pulitzer jumped in.
Very good, you win a cookie.

Julian Assange has been branded a terrorist and calls for his assassination/execution ring from both sides of the aisle so why haven't we invaded Ecuador?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true but flavorings and the use of milk inside baking is still a great source of milk's nutrition. I was raised on Hershey's Milk(although mostly done surreptitiously). I also helped myself to a dozen or so 3oz. airline whiskey bottles. Refilled them with water and a little vegetable dye. NEVER trust 12 year old kids.:}
Sure, but just drinking milk is yucky!!!
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
Charles Krauthammer: Obama Showing 'Great Skill, Ruthless Skill' In Fiscal Cliff Talks
Columnist and Fox News pundit Charles Krauthammer said Thursday that he thinks President Obama has been acting with "great skill" in the negotiations over the so-called "fiscal cliff."
Talks have continually stalled as the GOP and the Obama administration struggle to produce a deal about how much to raise taxes or cut spending. On Friday, the president summoned Congressional leaders to the White House for one more attempt at an accord.
Krauthammer told Hannity that Obama had been able to create a "civil war" over taxes within the GOP. Several high-profile Republicans have said that the party should concede to raising taxes on people making over $250,000.
"Hannity, predictably, did not give Obama quite as much credit.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/char...
Don't think Krauthammer's analysis was meant to be complimentary.

..."ruthless skill"..."fracture and shatter"..."break the will"..."create an internal civil war"..."create a crisis"...

Presidents usually "bring together"..."find common ground"..."lead by actions, not words"..."preserve, protect and defend the Constitution"...etc.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
She said we did not start the wars but I don't remember Afghanistan attacking us. Japan attacked us, I don't remember Afghanistan attacking us. Much of northern South America has been harboring criminals that have been attacking us for over 30 years but I don't remember invading and occupying any of those countries.
Afghanistan effectively attacked the US by allowing the Al Qaeda terrorist camps to attack us. However, we should have just liquidated the terrorist camps, by any means necessary, instead of occupying the country.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

krissy wrote:
<quoted text>
How will taking the property of someone in Kansas ensure you are 100 percent safe in California?
THE DEBIL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

SAY, UM, YOU EVER WONDER WHY THEY CALL IT A VENUS FLYTRAP?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

krissy wrote:
<quoted text>

The United States stands truly alone in the developed world for its lax gun laws, which have contributed to Americans owning guns at a far higher rate than anyone else. The National Rifle Association, in its pushback against calls for gun restrictions after the Sandy Hook Elementary mass shooting, has portrayed things somewhat differently. NRA chief Wayne LaPierre has drawn comparisons to Israel, saying that the U.S. should follow Israel’s example of loose gun laws and of responding to mass shooting by posting armed guards at schools.
LaPierre echoes a number of commentators who oppose gun restrictions and cite Israel as an ideal example. The argument goes like this: Israel has lots of guns and lower rates of gun violence, so clearly the problem with America is not our guns but something else.
The only problem is that Israel actually has quite strong gun restrictions and very low gun ownership rates, some of the lowest in the developed world. This confusion has gotten so bad that even Israeli government officials are now chiming in to knock back the claims, though the NRA is seen as a close ally of the U.S. Republican party, which positions itself as strongly backing Israel.
LaPierre appeared to take his Israel-model advocacy a step too far when he declared on Meet the Press this weekend,“Israel had a whole lot of school shootings, until they did one thing. They said we’re going to stop it and they put armed security in every school and they have not had a problem since then.”
A spokesperson for the Israeli Foreign Ministry told the New York Daily News that this was simply wrong.“We didn’t have a series of school shootings, and they had nothing to do with the issue at hand in the United States. We had to deal with terrorism,” he said.“What removed the danger was not the armed guards but an overall anti-terror policy and anti-terror operations which brought street terrorism down to nearly zero over a number of years.” The spokesperson added,“It would be better not to drag Israel into what is an internal American discussion.”
Israeli guns laws, it turns out, are much stricter than America’s gun laws. This may help explain why Israeli gun ownership is just one thirteenth of what it is in the U.S. To bring that number into focus, it would likely be even lower if not for mandatory military service, which means Israelis are more likely to be familiar with guns. Israel’s unique security challenges and its periodic bouts with terrorism would also seem to bolster an NRA-style case for allowing more privately owned guns so that more citizens can defend themselves. And yet, there are far fewer guns in private citizens’ hands, and far less gun crime.
So why does Israel look more like gun-controlling Britain than gun-loving American? Why are Israel and the U.S. near opposite extremes among Western nations when it comes to gun laws? As American scholar Janet Rosenbaum put it in an article for ForeignPolicy.com ,“Israel has well-known security concerns, but it limits security to the professionals.” Whereas Americans laws privilege free access to guns and then restrict them from there, Israeli laws, Rosenbaum writes,“are designed to keep amateurs from carrying guns in the street — even amateurs who have served 3 years in the army.
Israel limits gun ownership to security workers, people who transport valuables or explosives, residents of the West Bank, and hunters. People who don’t fall into one of those categories cannot obtain a firearm permit. Moreover, Israel rejects 40 percent of firearm permit applicants, the highest rejection rate in the Western world. Both Switzerland and Israel require yearly (or more frequent) permit renewals to insure that the reasons are still applicable.
Move to Israel if you prefer their gun laws.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting.
THE DEBIL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think Krauthammer's analysis was meant to be complimentary.
..."ruthless skill"..."fracture and shatter"..."break the will"..."create an internal civil war"..."create a crisis"...
Presidents usually "bring together"..."find common ground"..."lead by actions, not words"..."preserve, protect and defend the Constitution"...etc.
OH, BABY! I KNOWED ONCE I LAID OL' PETER OUT THERE I'D ATTRACT YOU ATTENTION. IT LIKE A BIG BROWN BASS LURE AIN'T IT? YOU CAIN'T HE'P YOUSELF...
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Mistakingly cut instead of copied this part of sonic's post - Krauthammer's scathing analysis of Obama...

"He's been using this -- and I must say with great skill, and ruthless skill, and success -- to fracture and basically shatter the Republican opposition. The only redoubt of the opposition is the House. And his objective from the very beginning was to break the will of the Republicans in the House, and to create an internal civil war, and he's done that. How did he do it? By always insisting from day one after the election that Republicans had to raise rates ... he did that because he knew it would create a crisis among Republicans, and it did."

...sonic thought it was complimentary.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
How will taking the property of someone in Kansas ensure you are 100 percent safe in California?
Euthanizing all criminals and the mentally ill would be far more effective than gun control. Start at birth with genetic markers to identify future criminals. If the left really wants safety above human rights and individual liberty, let them step up to the plate.
THE DEBIL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

I FORGIVE YOU, CAROL. NOW KNEEL DOWN AN' OPEN YOU MOUTH...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
Mistakingly cut instead of copied this part of sonic's post - Krauthammer's scathing analysis of Obama...
"He's been using this -- and I must say with great skill, and ruthless skill, and success -- to fracture and basically shatter the Republican opposition. The only redoubt of the opposition is the House. And his objective from the very beginning was to break the will of the Republicans in the House, and to create an internal civil war, and he's done that. How did he do it? By always insisting from day one after the election that Republicans had to raise rates ... he did that because he knew it would create a crisis among Republicans, and it did."
Just be careful not to feed the chimp.
THE DEBIL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
I work like hell so that I can have the finer things in life...
...and I can defend what I have...
You? You are, at best, a 95 IQ minority...babbling on here, not making a lick of sense! You are comic relief for people on the crapper...
At your highest you are insignificant. Thats why you talk big in here...because in the scheme of life you are quite little...
As for me? I will not be denied my destiny...you already flushed yours down the toilet...
UH-HUH. "THE FINER THINGS IN LIFE." UM, SURE. I GET TIRED OF SPLAININ' THIS STUFF TO THE LIKES OF YOU. I GO TO THE WHITE HOUSE EVERY YEAR FO' DINNER. I GOT THE SPENSIVE SHOES, THE BESPOKE CLOTHES, I KNOW THE RIGHT WINES, AN' I PRETTY GOOD AT CONVERSATION. I'VE SLEPT WITH THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN IN THE WORLD, DESIGNED STORES ON PARK AVENUE, IN EUROPE. WHAT YOU DONE THAT I AIN'T DONE? WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE TALKIN' TO YOU BETTERS IN THIS WAY? YOU CONFUSED. I'M NOT YOU, CLOWN. THE "FINER" THINGS IN YOU LIFE ARE BARELY NOTICEABLE IN MINE. DON' GET ALL PISSY WITH ME CAUSE I'M ALL THAT YOU NEVER WILL BE. WANNA SEE ME AN' MICHELLE DANCIN'? WELL DO YA, PUNK? YOUR LIFE IS THE TOILET AN' MINE IS ABOUT PISSIN' ON YOU. DON'T YOU PAY ATTENTION? YOU THINK I'M KIDDIN' DON' YOU? HAHAHAHAHA..
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
lol! No one should be giving credit to Obama for "...fracturing(sic) and basically shattering(sic) the Republican opposition..."

Cons are doing it to themselves all by themselves.

Personally, I just sit back and watch and enjoy the comedy they provide!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 766,241 - 766,260 of1,071,075
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

82 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Atticus Tiberius Finch 173,488
Amy 7-9 15 min edogxxx 8
Abigail July 9 2014 22 min edogxxx 11
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 33 min SpaceBlues 45,431
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 34 min 40ish 382
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 44 min Whiny1 4,486
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr nnamhcsriK elaD yrogerG 48,668
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr edogxxx 97,407
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••