Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 38,264)

Showing posts 765,261 - 765,280 of1,034,118
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Nj raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Basically sonic you just stated what I've been saying all along, but when a college professor says it , everybody's ears turn into antennas. Now they find sense where in my case there was none. Society needs to stop making excuses for white males that commit these horrific crimes of insanity. Their parents need to take responsibility alot earlier in their lives. They needs to be taught responsibility & the consequences of their actions before their reach the age where nothing anyone says can reach them. Before their disassociation urges them to choose infamy over fame. It's sad when mass murder is the only way someone can feel relevant coming from a privileged background.
Would you be in favor of corporal punishment by parents and teachers? What are meaningful and effective consequences?
Should people with children have guns in the home?
One thing that is a given; if there are guns in the home; kids always find them, they have that gun radar somehow. Another 3 year old found a gun the other day and shot himself. Happens every day.
The man who brought his 7 year old son with him to sell his guns at a gunstore, accidently shot his son in the chest and killed him.
It's just awful. To me the answer is to ban guns, although I don't think it will happen
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

JLD wrote:
<quoted text>Utah State Trooper Lisa Steed, recently honored for making record numbers of DWI arrests, has been fired and is facing a class-action lawsuit by dozens of innocent people who are claiming they were falsely arrested and convicted of DWI. Many of her victims were non-drinkers who were stopped with no probable cause at DWI checkpoints. Evidence shows that scores of breathalyzer and blood test BAC results were inflated and falsely reported by this officer. There is another cop in Chicago facing similar accusations. Having been the victim of a false DWI arrest in North Carolina (whose case was eventually dismissed with an apology from the Court) I'm willing to bet this is a common practice among many cops.
Yes that is and that's very interesting. When there are quota systems there will be those issues. A former chief of police in my town said publicly that his officers weren't writing enough tickets, they weren't meeting their quotas. Then there were cops everywhere harrassing people for nothing; I once got a seatbelt ticket on my residential street as I was pulling out of my driveway! I always wear my seatbelt, and put it on after backing out. I said, are you seriously giving me this ticket? He said, ok I'll give you a warning this time. It's all about revenue. Glad your case got dropped, but how much did it cost you in time, money and aggravation; not to mention getting it off your record?
Also, I am against checkpoints, red light cameras and giving police power to pull people over for seatbelts; it's a way to harrass people.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

whooyaa wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry not a jew and who says it should cost 40k a year to house a prisoner??
So you think it's smarter to go after people who are not breaking the law than people who are? LOL, no wonder you voted for obama
Mr. Lapierre said on MTP this morning that if a felon tries to buy a gun and is turned down, then he should be arrested. If a person with mental health issues does, he should be arrested. Is this what you would be in favor of?
Sounds absurd to me and it costs more than $40K a year to imprison someone. Are we going to become a police state and warehouse people morese than we do now? We have more people in prison than all countries in the world combined. It's ridiculous.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Nj raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Basically sonic you just stated what I've been saying all along, but when a college professor says it , everybody's ears turn into antennas. Now they find sense where in my case there was none. Society needs to stop making excuses for white males that commit these horrific crimes of insanity. Their parents need to take responsibility alot earlier in their lives. They needs to be taught responsibility & the consequences of their actions before their reach the age where nothing anyone says can reach them. Before their disassociation urges them to choose infamy over fame. It's sad when mass murder is the only way someone can feel relevant coming from a privileged background.
....white men in this country are taught that they are the masters of their own destiny, and are usually not confronted with the same limitations of possibility that men of color are. When white men fail, an experience our society gives them few resources to confront, they often lash out at those they hold responsible....

http://notesironbound.blogspot.com/2012/12/it...

White Entitlement. A much larger problem than so called 'minority entitlement'.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know if he was being treated by a psychiatrist or not; he may have been on meds and stopped taking them; she did go away to New Hampshire for 2 days, seems as though that's when he planned his rampage. Nevertheless, if the accounts are true that he attempted to purchase a gun at Dicks and attempted to obtain a permit and was turned down, it would appear that the guns were probably locked up but he found a way to get them. The bottom line is that if she did not have those guns, this may have not happened.
He may have killed her by other means and himself and 20 kids would be alive as well as the teachers.
Get rid of the weapons.
Maybe we'll learn the entire story and maybe not. Mom trusted the kid alone at home, he had a car, he had attended a nearby college and even had some friends. No one so far has come forward to say that the kid was batshyte crazy and a possible danger to society. If there was a "danger" list as Wayne LaPierre called for, Adam Lanza would not have been on it, nor would have been the Columbine kids, the mutt that shot Giffords or the Aurora shooter who actually knew that he was slipping over the edge but it was much to late for a list.

There are some crazy mofo's posting right here 24/7, claiming to be armed and dangerous, we had one a while back whose registered profile contained death threats against the POTUS.

Congress wont ban these so called assault weapons lily, it's to late, the consumer market is large and too very well established.

What I personally would like to see is a federal ban on off premise sales, in other words no gun shows anywhere, period. Weapons and ammo would be sold only in the buildings where the license lives.

IMO, responsible gun owners would be OK with that___maybe not the gun freaks__fk those bozos__it's long past time to cull that herd.
impeach Congress

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Nj raider 1 wrote:
I agree it's a white problem, & if not for the location of these massacres in mass numbers most of these incidences would've been swept under the rug, but it's not all white people. It's those ones that as you've pinpointed, think they know whats right for everyone else. Maybe I'm ignorant, but for the most part the white people I know from around my way or those that I've met along my travels aree good, honest folks & in the same position as minorities. These white people that look down on other races also look down on these white folks too. I also don't aree with any teacher being armed in any school. Again I maybe naive, but where I'm from these same self entitled white people kids go to our schools with our children. We strive to get our kids into private school & they allow their children to go to public school as they get older just to be cool. There's a kid driving a Lamborghini to the high school in my city. Makes no sense at all. It be those types (basically raised by a nanny & fed from a silver spoon) that grow up to be like their parents or at least think like them. They feel entitled & when things dont go their way, they erupt like a volcano. When you grow up with no discipline, you lack a fear of consequences as an adult. Just my opinion!
I agree. People had better start facing the truth about what is going on and stop the madness. Let's watch Texas where one community has signed up for teachers to be armed. I'll bet you a thousand bucks, that a teacher will be the first one to kill a student there. Then what? Students will arm themselves against teachers? How lovely that will be. Those nuts at the NRA would have to make another brilliant suggestion. Oh I know...let have the Undertaker and a priest on campus to we can have a one stop, shoot em and bury em school depot!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
The Obama administration didn't run assault weapons down to Mexico you goddamned liar. Those guns would have gotten there anyway "Fast and Furious" or not. The blame falls on the Bush administration and the Republican dominated congress for not renewing the assault weapons ban and GOP dominated state legislatures like in Arizona that allow pretty much unlimited purchase of the weapons with no questions asked.
You're an idiot!
Petey, your eyes turned brown from all the stuff flowing upward in your body. You're the idiot, and I have my wife's permission to say so.. George Bush hasn't been in the Oval Office for four and a half years. When is Barack Hussein Obama going to step up....
By the way Petey, what is the technical definition for a weapon that shoots more than one round with ONE trigger pull? Come on Petey dazzle us wif your knowledge??

“Seriously Misguided Democrat”

Since: Oct 12

Chicago Thugtown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious, what do you think should be done to a Mexican that smuggled a gun into the USA?
Did the Mexican declare his antique shotgun upon entering? If he did, then that wouldn't be smuggling, would it? Try to keep your comparisons logical. It makes for a much more inteligent and honest debate.

He is in Brownseville, TX now. Why don't you go ask him about it.

Chicago Thugtown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
Any rifle that isn't a lever action or bolt action SHOULD be defined as an assault rifle. That was easy, problem solved.
Yes, we know already. Any rifle that is like like what you own, should be banned. Why do you keep repeating yourself?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe we'll learn the entire story and maybe not. Mom trusted the kid alone at home, he had a car, he had attended a nearby college and even had some friends. No one so far has come forward to say that the kid was batshyte crazy and a possible danger to society. If there was a "danger" list as Wayne LaPierre called for, Adam Lanza would not have been on it, nor would have been the Columbine kids, the mutt that shot Giffords or the Aurora shooter who actually knew that he was slipping over the edge but it was much to late for a list.
There are some crazy mofo's posting right here 24/7, claiming to be armed and dangerous, we had one a while back whose registered profile contained death threats against the POTUS.
Congress wont ban these so called assault weapons lily, it's to late, the consumer market is large and too very well established.
What I personally would like to see is a federal ban on off premise sales, in other words no gun shows anywhere, period. Weapons and ammo would be sold only in the buildings where the license lives.
IMO, responsible gun owners would be OK with that___maybe not the gun freaks__fk those bozos__it's long past time to cull that herd.
Let's see what happens. With the buyback plan; what's to stop the person from buying another gun? Unless they are given vouchers for food instead.
RUSH10ME

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
We don't know if he was being treated by a psychiatrist or not; he may have been on meds and stopped taking them; she did go away to New Hampshire for 2 days, seems as though that's when he planned his rampage. Nevertheless, if the accounts are true that he attempted to purchase a gun at Dicks and attempted to obtain a permit and was turned down, it would appear that the guns were probably locked up but he found a way to get them. The bottom line is that if she did not have those guns, this may have not happened.
He may have killed her by other means and himself and 20 kids would be alive as well as the teachers.
Get rid of the weapons.
Ban liberals , guns actualy serve a purpose.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Fenris the Big Bad Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Fail......
"During 1999--2002, among persons aged 10--19 years, the homicide rate for blacks was estimated to be 17.8 per 100,000 population, a rate 10 times that of whites (1.8 per 100,000) and higher than the rates reported for American Indians/Alaska Natives (AI/ANs)(6.0 per 100,000), Asian/Pacific Islanders (A/PIs)(2.9 per 100,000), and Hispanics (8.0 per 100,000)(2)".
it was referring to those that feel the need to kill a bunch of folks all at once in one particular place.

70% are white.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Suicide by mass murder: Masculinity, aggrieved entitlement, and rampage school shootings

School shootings have become more common in the United States in recent years. Yet, as media portrayals of these ‘rampages’ shock the public, the characterization of this violence obscures an important point: many of these crimes culminate in suicide, and they are almost universally committed by males. We examine three recent American cases, which involve suicide, to elucidate how the culture of hegemonic masculinity in the US creates a sense of aggrieved entitlement conducive to violence. This sense of entitlement simultaneously frames suicide as an appropriate, instrumental behaviour for these males to underscore their violent enactment of masculinity.

http://logicalliving.blog.com/files/2011/04/S...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Send in the Clowns

WHEN thinking about the state of the Republican Party, I defer to a point that the Democratic consultant James Carville made the other day:“When I hear people talking about the troubled state of today’s Republican Party, it calls to mind something Lester Maddox said one time back when he was governor of Georgia. He said the problem with Georgia prisons was ‘the quality of the inmates.’ The problem with the Republican Party is the quality of the people who vote in their primaries and caucuses. Everybody says they need a better candidate, or they need a better message but — in my opinion — the Republicans have an inmate problem.” The political obsessions of the Republican base — from denying global warming to defending assault weapons to opposing any tax increases under any conditions, to resisting any immigration reform — are making it impossible to be a Republican moderate, said Carville. And without more Republican moderates, there is no way to strike the kind of centrist bargains that have been at the heart of American progress — that got us where we are and are essential for where we need to go.

Republican politicians today have a choice: either change your base by educating and leading G.O.P. voters back to the center-right from the far right, or start a new party that is more inclusive, focused on smaller but smarter government and market-based, fact-based solutions to our biggest problems.

But if Republicans continue to be led around by, and live in fear of, a base that denies global warming after Hurricane Sandy and refuses to ban assault weapons after Sandy Hook — a base that would rather see every American’s taxes rise rather than increase taxes on millionaires — the party has no future. It can’t win with a base that is at war with math, physics, human biology, economics and common-sense gun laws all at the same time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/opinion/sun...

Chicago Thugtown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
it was referring to those that feel the need to kill a bunch of folks all at once in one particular place.
70% are white.
A valid argument, in the mind of a racist.
cway

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Would you be in favor of corporal punishment by parents and teachers? What are meaningful and effective consequences?
Should people with children have guns in the home?
One thing that is a given; if there are guns in the home; kids always find them, they have that gun radar somehow. Another 3 year old found a gun the other day and shot himself. Happens every day.
The man who brought his 7 year old son with him to sell his guns at a gunstore, accidently shot his son in the chest and killed him.
It's just awful. To me the answer is to ban guns, although I don't think it will happen
There is a cost to banning handguns.

It will make us completely helpless against the government.

I view that as the greater of two evils.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Dream on babe__what you're talking about is unwinding HIPPA and that will not happen in your lifetime. Think about it, when you put someones name on a government registry for mental/emotional problems/diagnoses you in effect destroy that persons life. Who makes that decision? Will there be a second or third opinion option? Who pays for the medical evaluations?
It's another expensive government growing intrusion that targets the wrong people for 99.9% of the citizens that would wind up on such a list would likely never attempt to purchase any sort of weapon.
The Newtown shooter didn't attend school, the only person who observed him on a daily basis was his mother who "obviously" didn't consider him a potential mass murderer. There was a lot of money coming into that household, her alimony schedule for 2012 alone was for $289,000 and we don't know whether dad was sending Adam money.
Doesn't have to be a government registry. Medical professionals can intervene based on evidence presented to local authorities. No need to document names by state and local governments.

Maybe HIPAA needs to have extenuating exceptions to right to privacy. The lives of children would be a good one.

Just suggesting a possible solution.

Chicago Thugtown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
Send in the Clowns
WHEN thinking about the state of the Republican Party, I defer to a point that the Democratic consultant James Carville made the other day:“When I hear people talking about the troubled state of today’s Republican Party, it calls to mind something Lester Maddox said one time back when he was governor of Georgia. He said the problem with Georgia prisons was ‘the quality of the inmates.’ The problem with the Republican Party is the quality of the people who vote in their primaries and caucuses. Everybody says they need a better candidate, or they need a better message but — in my opinion — the Republicans have an inmate problem.” The political obsessions of the Republican base — from denying global warming to defending assault weapons to opposing any tax increases under any conditions, to resisting any immigration reform — are making it impossible to be a Republican moderate, said Carville. And without more Republican moderates, there is no way to strike the kind of centrist bargains that have been at the heart of American progress — that got us where we are and are essential for where we need to go.
Republican politicians today have a choice: either change your base by educating and leading G.O.P. voters back to the center-right from the far right, or start a new party that is more inclusive, focused on smaller but smarter government and market-based, fact-based solutions to our biggest problems.
But if Republicans continue to be led around by, and live in fear of, a base that denies global warming after Hurricane Sandy and refuses to ban assault weapons after Sandy Hook — a base that would rather see every American’s taxes rise rather than increase taxes on millionaires — the party has no future. It can’t win with a base that is at war with math, physics, human biology, economics and common-sense gun laws all at the same time.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/opinion/sun...
You are here.

Since: May 11

Fayetteville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

List of companies I will not buy from.

Since: May 11

Fayetteville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 765,261 - 765,280 of1,034,118
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

55 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Abby 4-19 8 min Kuuipo 9
Music Artists A to Z 12 min boundary painter 92
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 18 min boundary painter 1,023
Amy 4-19 20 min boundary painter 8
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 29 min boundary painter 7,551
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 35 min ritedownthemiddle 42,991
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 37 min edogxxx 96,133
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance