Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 38,049)

Showing posts 760,961 - 760,980 of1,036,702
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
RUSH10ME

Urbanna, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Was not aware of this however, remember the guy in Japan that went into the school and killed a bunch of people with a knife? Happened in the 90's if you want to look for it.
Same thing happened last week.
Redguy

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
There were two major waves of de-institutionalism: once in the 50's then again in the 70's. Charles Whitman's UT tower shooting is the first such incidence I can think of and that was in the mid-60's.
Whitman had a fast growing brain tumor. There was nothing before that onset which could indicate aberrant behavior because there wasn't any.

Since: Nov 09

Alamo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
Does the NRA Represent Gun Manufacturers or Gun Owners?
Over the last four years, Congress and the Obama administration have only enacted laws that have deregulated gun use in America. It’s no secret why. As pundits love to note, the gun lobby is incredibly influential. But as we consider the potential for reform in the wake of the tragedy today, one of the first questions we should ask this time is: who does the gun lobby really represent?
The National Rifle Association portrays itself as an organization that represents “4 million members” who simply love the Second Amendment. The truth is much more murky.
In reality, the NRA is composed of half a dozen legal entities; some designed to run undisclosed attack ads in political campaigns, others to lobby and collect tens of millions in undisclosed, tax-deductible sums. This power has only been enhanced in the era of Citizens United, with large GOP donors in the last election reportedly funneling money to the NRA simply to use the group as a brand to pummel Democrats with nasty ads.(As The Huffington Post’s Peter Stone reported, even the Koch network now provides an undisclosed amount to the NRA.)
Despite the grassroots façade, there is much evidence to suggest that corporations that profit from unregulated gun use are propping up the NRA’s activities, much like how the tobacco lobby secretly funded “Smokers Rights’” fronts and libertarian anti-tax groups, or how polluters currently finance much of the climate change skepticism movement.
In a “special thanks” to their donors, the National Rifle Association Foundation lists Bushmaster Firearms Inc., the company that makes the assault rifle allegedly used by the shooter responsible for the mass murder today in Newtown, Connecticut. How much Bushmaster Firearms Inc. contributes is left unsaid.
The Violence Policy Center has estimated that since 2005, gun manufacturers have contributed up to $38.9 million to the NRA. Those numbers, however, are based on publicly listed “sponsorship” levels on NRA fundraising pamphlets. The real figures could be much bigger. Like Crossroads GPS or Americans for Prosperity, or the Sierra Club for that matter, the NRA does not disclose any donor information even though it spends millions on federal elections.
And like other industry fronts, the NRA is quick to conceal its pro–gun industry policy positions as ideological commitments.
Take, for example,“The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund.” It’s a pro–gun rights legal fund “involved in court cases establishing legal precedents in favor of gun owners.”
And who helps pick which impact-litigation cases the NRA will become involved with? Folks like James W. Porter II, a board member of the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund, who doubles as an attorney whose private firm specializes in “areas of products liability defense of firearms manufacturers.” His last client, according to a search of the federal court docket, was Smith & Wesson Corporation.
Is the NRA working for casual gun-owners, many of whom, according to polling, support tougher restrictions on gun ownership— or is the NRA serving the gunmaker lobby— which is purely interested in policies that will promote greater gun sales and more profits? Any gun control policy debate should begin with this question.
http://www.thenation.com/blog/171776/does-nra... #
The NRA is nothing more than a tool that wealthy Republicans use to generate votes to protect their money. As I have pointed out many times here, gun owners never lost ONE gun right under Obama but the NRA attacked him as if he had molested their daughter.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Nostrils Henry Waxman wrote:
I hate to put a rain on your devious politicization of the killing of children liberal DEMOCRATS, but...
The problem is we have people who are mentally ill. Maybe that should be addressed and raise red flags. I think we may find, as with the batman shooter, there were signs this kid was deranged.
I know you just use terrible events to further your politics, but maybe we should actually try to do something helpful.
It seems more and more young adults are committing these crimes.
All you "government solve all" Democrats do is blame others. It's no wonder our government is broken.
You rightwingers are every bit as "government solve all" as "liberals" are, you only have this amazing knack for fooling yourselves and making excuses for your own desire for a Daddy State.

In your reply you might want to include your opinions on such issues as abortion, illegal drugs, prostitution, gambling, immigration, the Bush/Obama wars and so on. Then reflect on whether your particular opinion involves a government solution. Who do you propose address and raise the red flags you mention?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
There were two major waves of de-institutionalism: once in the 50's then again in the 70's. Charles Whitman's UT tower shooting is the first such incidence I can think of and that was in the mid-60's.
I have mixed feelings about institutionalizing the mentally ill.
The thought of them sitting there vegetating for their entire lives being pumped up with psychotropic drugs seems hideous.
Seeing them roam around aimlessly, homeless and abandoned is equally so. Perhaps we should hand out cyanide pills, I mean: they shoot horses, don't they?
Redguy

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Nostrils Henry Waxman wrote:
Redguy/Commieguy -
In the UK, they started off restricting firearms in 1968 and successively added tighter restriction to the point they now even go after Air Guns.
Don't give us your total jive & bunk. How's the weather on the Moon, lefty?
And don't twist my words, lying Democrat.
Aww.. Did I twist your tail, son?
This isn't the UK, but since you brought it up - how's their gun related death stats? According to one chart ours is about 9 per 100,000, Canada's is 4.78 and the UK is .22 Hmm. I guess you have a point, after all.

BTW, I'm not a Democrat.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok once more for the insanely stupid:
The proposed law was identical to existing law except for a minor provision that opened the door to banning abortion entirely.
This has been explained to you repeatedly so you're either a liar or suffering dementia.
BTW, I'm sure you meant "pro-life" which in itself is as retarded as "pro-abortion", and you whine about "lying and divisiveness".
Here's a thought: you stated earlier that Obama didn't have respect for life in the womb, another divisive lie y'all like to flog. The issue isn't that anybody is "pro-abortion", they are pro-choice and their entire argument is framed this way. Y'all lie and twist it to suit your own authoritarian purposes, you want the government to impose your "morals". Saying a pro-choicer doesn't respect life in the womb is identical to saying pro-gun folks have no respect for any human life because people die sometimes as the result of the availability of guns.
Get it?
And the wind was called Mariah!
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok once more for the insanely stupid:
The proposed law was identical to existing law except for a minor provision that opened the door to banning abortion entirely.
This has been explained to you repeatedly so you're either a liar or suffering dementia.
BTW, I'm sure you meant "pro-life" which in itself is as retarded as "pro-abortion", and you whine about "lying and divisiveness".
Here's a thought: you stated earlier that Obama didn't have respect for life in the womb, another divisive lie y'all like to flog. The issue isn't that anybody is "pro-abortion", they are pro-choice and their entire argument is framed this way. Y'all lie and twist it to suit your own authoritarian purposes, you want the government to impose your "morals". Saying a pro-choicer doesn't respect life in the womb is identical to saying pro-gun folks have no respect for any human life because people die sometimes as the result of the availability of guns.
Get it?
You are not disspelling Senator Obama's voting record in the Illinois Senate, neither the reality of being pro-choice.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Redguy wrote:
<quoted text>
Whitman had a fast growing brain tumor. There was nothing before that onset which could indicate aberrant behavior because there wasn't any.
You're not going to completely eliminate bad things. The point was that before de-institutionalization this sort of thing didn't happen as far as I know.
FDR

Prague, Czech Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

YESTERDAY, DECEMBER 14TH, 2012, A DATE WHICH WILL LIVE IN INFAMY, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WAS SUDDENLY AND DELIBERATELY ATTACKED BY THE EMPIRE OF JAPAN... WAIT... THAT'S NOT QUITE RIGHT... LET ME TRY AGAIN...

INTELLIGENCE GATHERED BY THIS AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS LEAVES NO DOUBT THAT THE IRAQ REGIEME CONTINUES TO POSSESS AND CONCEAL SOME OF THE MOST LETHAL WEAPONS EVER DEVISED... UM... JUS' A SECOND..... IT HAS A DEEP HATRED OF AMERICA AND OUR FRIENDS. AND IT HAS AIDED, TRAINED AND HORBORED TERRORISTS, INCLUDING OPERATIVES OF AL QAEDA.... DAMN! I JUS' CAIN'T FIND THE RIGHT WORDS...

MY FELLOW AMERICANS. IT IS WITH A DEEP AND HEAVY HEART THAT I DECLARE THIS DAY, DECEMBER 14TH, 2012, 12/14/12. THIS WILL ALLOW US TO MORE EASILY MARKET THIS TRAGEDY FOR THE GAIN OF THE NICE FOLKS AT BUSHMASTER AND GLOCK WHO EMPLOY HUNDREDS OF HARD-WORKING CITIZENS SO THEY CAN DO WHAT WE ALL WANT TO DO: GET AHEAD. SO, IT WITH WITH GREAT DELIBERATION THAT I ANNOUNCE TONIGHT, OUR HEROIC AMERICAN TROOPS FROM CONNECTICUT ARE, AS WE SPEAK, INVADING MINNESOTA. WITH SHOCK AND AWE AND GOD ON OUR SIDE WE WILL PREVAIL. PLEASE, ALWAYS REMEMBER THE ALAMO!... NO... WAIT... I MEAN, "12/14/12!!!!"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
I have mixed feelings about institutionalizing the mentally ill.
The thought of them sitting there vegetating for their entire lives being pumped up with psychotropic drugs seems hideous.
Seeing them roam around aimlessly, homeless and abandoned is equally so. Perhaps we should hand out cyanide pills, I mean: they shoot horses, don't they?
Talking about institutionalization is extremely uncomfortable for me; I just think it should be under consideration.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Automobiles kill more people in America than guns. Are we going to ban automobiles? No. Ammonia and bleach (the ingredients in mustard gas) would have done a better job of killing more kids at that school today than an automatic weapon. Are we going to ban cleaning products? No. 80% of the school shootings in this country are carried out by children on brain medications. Are we going to ban Prozac? Ritalin? Respirdol? No. 100% of school shootings are carried out by people who knew they would be the only armed participants. Banning guns only affects those who submit to the ban - criminals don't give a SHIT about the law, gun bans, or the lives they take, including their own.
"Sister Kathryn Lust"
APPLAUSE
Peace
FDR

Prague, Czech Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Redguy wrote:
<quoted text>
WELL, NOTHIN' 18 MONTHS IN NAM CUTTIN' OFF L'IL YELLOW BABY HEADS WOULDN'T CURE... WHITMAN'S COMMANDING OFFICER: "NO, NO, HE WAS JUST A REGULAR GUY. HE WAS WELL-LIKED AND MAINTAINED HIS WEAPONS AND GEAR IN GOOD ORDER. I CAN SEE NO REASON WHY HE WOULD'VE DONE SUCH A THING AS CLIMBING UP IN A TOWER AND SHOOTING INNOCENT SCHOOLKIDS."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not disspelling Senator Obama's voting record in the Illinois Senate, neither the reality of being pro-choice.
I give up, no point arguing with an insanely stupid liar.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshyte, Florida's welfare testing program has already been declared unconstitutional and shut down with all money's refunded. It was a stupid political stunt that had recently jobless and hurting folks standing in lines to pee in a cup while the long term welfare folks were exempt.
Reeltime, it was no political stunt. The stupidity ensued when the Americans were forced to pay for welfare leeches, who asked the ACLU to file the silly lawsuit?
FDR

Prague, Czech Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

I WAS JUST OVER AT A FRIEND'S HOUSE IN MARYLAND. HE'S STILL GOT HIS NAM-BOOK WHICH SHOWS A SMILING YOUNG MAN HOLDING UP THREE HEADS BY THEIR HAIR... ONE OF THEM SURE LOOKED AWFUL SMALL.... CUTE, TOO...
FDR

Prague, Czech Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sister Kathryn Lust"
APPLAUSE
Peace
WELLLLLLL... APPLAUSE IS A LITTLE PREMATURE, I MEAN, A CAR CAN ACTUALLY GET YOU AROUND SO YOU CAN SHOOT MORE PEOPLE. THE 12/14/12 SHOOTER DIDN'T DRIVE TO SCHOOL IN HIS GUN OR ON HIS BOX OF TIDE? IT'S NOT A FAIR COMPARISON I'M SURE YOU CAN SEE THAT... SAY, SAILOR, HOW "EASY" ARE YOU ANYWAYS? PRETTY MUCH WHEN I GET IN MY CAR I'M NOT THINKING, "I GUESS I'LL GO KILL SOMEBODY," SO WHENEVER I DO IT'S ALWAYS ACCIDENTAL. NOT SO MUCH WHEN YOU STUFF A BUNCH OF BULLETS INTO A BUSHMASTER... SAY, THAT'S THE SAME RIFLE THE DC SNIPER USED! COINCIDENCE?
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
American Exceptionalism?
I don't know, I have some things that I consider. This has been a fringe subject here thus far.
I'd like to pose the following to the group:
Mental health law changed in the 70's, used to be easier to put dangerous people away and keep them there; not anymore. Coincidentally, that's about when these incidents started occurring.
Thoughts?(for once can we maybe just discuss an issue without trying to leverage this incident against either liberals or conservatives?)
When political correctness took the place of common sense, no one wanted to step on anyone's toes or take the risk getting sued.

If you wanted my opinion.
FDR

Prague, Czech Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

BUT, IT HAS TO BE SAID THAT A GUN-BAN WOULD AFFECT POOR PEOPLE DISPROPORTIONATELY... I MEAN, IF IT'S A CHOICE BETWEEN YOU CABLE BILL AN' MO' AMMO, WHAT YOU GON' DO?
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
I give up, no point arguing with an insanely stupid liar.
Maybe if you posted something credible with a source backing it up?

Some things aren't necessarily true because you want to think they are.

But we will have to agree to disagree.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 760,961 - 760,980 of1,036,702
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

58 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 16 min Catfish Hunter 96,275
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min Religionthebiglie 47,174
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 27 min Eric 65,547
Music Artists A to Z 36 min _Zoey_ 99
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 39 min litesong 43,160
Abby 4-23 1 hr PEllen 29
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques from Ottawa 167,716
Amy 4-23 2 hr cheluzal 40
ask amy 4-22 8 hr Sublime1 69
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••