Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Obama 2016

Virginia Beach, VA

#823694 Dec 17, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
The guns didn't commit the crime. A disturbed young man did.
The question is why did two young people in the same week commit such atrocious acts of violence? Or the movie theater killer? Or the Columbine killers? Or the killer who shot into a crowd where a congresswoman was hit?
The question is why they did it. Not how they did it.
Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people. America needs to get rid of all these guns. It's time to repeal the deadly 2nd amendment.
Obama 2016

Virginia Beach, VA

#823695 Dec 17, 2012
Lincoln Duncan wrote:
<quoted text>
the blood is on the hands of the pr i ck with the assault rifle shooting each child three times.
i can defend my home with a pistol, second amendment right. No one needs an assault rifle.
Nobody needs a gun in their home. With today's instant communication, police can arrive in seconds. The "wild west" method of law enforcement that gun nuts prefer only endangers innocent people even more. More "legal gun owners" are killed with their own guns than with illegal guns. There should be no such thing as a "legal gun owner".
Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Virginia Beach, VA

#823696 Dec 17, 2012
Fenris the Big Bad Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously inexperienced wth firearms, so let me help you out. Had these devates used shotguns, the death toll would be much higher under the circumstances......
Nobody needs a shotgun either. If you want to eat meat, buy it at the grocery store.
Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Virginia Beach, VA

#823697 Dec 17, 2012
In his speech last night, President Obama hinted that he will take whatever steps necessary to get rid of all these guns. Long live President Obama and his courage to make America a safe place to live again!!!
carol

Orlando, FL

#823698 Dec 17, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
When I saw the silently scrolling names of those children on my TV screen yesterday evening, I was reminded of something written 2000 years ago by one of the Ancients. Can't remember the name nor the exact quote as written but, if I may humbly try paraphrasing, it went something like this:
Life is full of tragedy but the most tragic of all is not sickness nor death and loss in battles. Although these are truly tragic, the supreme human pathos, the ultimate tragedy is that which could have been but never was.
Those kids could have been _______. Fill in the blank. They are paths not taken.
There is always a fly in the ointment, though. Someone telling jokes at a funeral. A drunk hitting on the bride. A war protester at a veteran's funeral. A President as Publicity Hound off the leash.
After seeing maybe 20 news reports on the Newtown tragedy, I found myself increasingly irritated with the Boy Messiah's face on my screen. I said aloud "This is about the children and their parents. The community's loss. It's not about you, you jerk!"
The Liberal media keeps plastering the airwaves of the Boy Messiah and I'm no longer watching the media. I can mourn in private without the Jerk-In-Chief interfering. STFU, Boy MEssiah!
It's right and good that a president speak on behalf of a grieving nation at a time like this.

What was disconcerting to me was the campaign-like applause by those in attendance when the president was introduced to address the families and the nation.

It was not a time to be introduced as if at a political rally or the audience to clap like performing seals this time.

It was a somber time that needed no introductions and for the audience to respectfully remain silent.

That really bothered me.
Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Virginia Beach, VA

#823699 Dec 17, 2012
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
It's important not to label all children or adults with Asbergers or autism as violent, or potential killers. Parents of these children face difficult challenges, I would guess that Lanza had some sort of psychotic breakdown, perhaps schizophrenic. We may never know what happened, the father and brother are cooperating and computer records have been subpoenaed.
Nevertheless, no one needs an assault weapon
All children and adults who are members of the NRA should be classified as potential killers. The NRA is nothing more than a domestic terrorist organization.
Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Virginia Beach, VA

#823700 Dec 17, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Senator Feinstein (D-CA) wants to push an assault weapons ban.
Call back when she agrees to dismiss all her armed security personnel.
Her armed security personnel are law enforcement officers. The are there to protect the Senator from NRA gun nuts like you!
Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Virginia Beach, VA

#823701 Dec 17, 2012
Yeah wrote:
Hmmmm...... the NRA is awfully quient.
I wonder why?
Because they know they're on their way out, relegated to the same status as the KKK and other terrorist organizations. A few holdouts but mostly insignificant.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823702 Dec 17, 2012
Lincoln Duncan wrote:
<quoted text>
"The chances of being killed in a mass shooting are about what they are for being struck by lightning" Tell that to the parents
Tell them what? Do you ever see the family members of DUI car crash campaigning for the banning of automobiles? Get hold of yourself...
Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Virginia Beach, VA

#823703 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Even if you believe, as most Americans do, that the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to bear arms, one must also acknowledge the right of other Americans to not bear arms and be safe.
Where are the voices for those who choose not to — or are not old enough to — own guns? Are the gunless to have no advocate? Will our politicians forever cower before the gun lobby?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/opinion/blo...
There is nothing in the 2nd amendment that grants all Americans the right to bear arms. It grants the members of a well regulated militia, i.e., police and other law enforcement organizations the right to bear arms.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823704 Dec 17, 2012
Repeal the 2nd Amendment wrote:
<quoted text>Her armed security personnel are law enforcement officers. The are there to protect the Senator from NRA gun nuts like you!
Ask your 19 year old daughter abouts guns the next time she's being raped by the some Occupy Wall St idiot....
proud2bwhite

Sherman, IL

#823705 Dec 17, 2012
St
Nj raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> He did have an assault rifle. He left it in the car. They think he realized he would'nt have made it far-that people would've seen him coming so he just used the 2 handguns (a glock & a 40 cal I think). I don't know how more gun regulations will affect this type of thing statistically, but I do know more guns are not the answer. If someone is hbent on a mission of carnage more guns can only cause more problems & a greater chance of shooting a innocent by stander. You think them gangstas don't be strapped everyday & still wind up with they heads blown off. What you gun nuts are suggesting is just cuz you have a gun you'll be able to see something like this coming. A gun is not protection, a vest (bullet proof) is protection. This whole discussion is stupid. If that's what it takes to save our children then we as parents can't be too ignorant to put it on the table (a real strict assault rifle ban & more strict & highly enforced fun law proud).
what kind of rifle diid he have? And do you honestly believe a coward that picks helpless children as his victims would have stood up to an armed adult or even made the atempt. Highly unlikely. Cowards allways pick soft targets that don't shoot back.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823706 Dec 17, 2012
Commies win!

"Kim Jong Un Voted Person Of The Year In Time Reader Poll"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/kim-...
Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Virginia Beach, VA

#823707 Dec 17, 2012
ole_47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask your 19 year old daughter abouts guns the next time she's being raped by the some Occupy Wall St idiot....
She has a better chance of being raped at a Tea Party riot than at an OWS event.
proud2bwhite

Sherman, IL

#823708 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>There is nothing in the 2nd amendment that grants all Americans the right to bear arms. It grants the members of a well regulated militia, i.e., police and other law enforcement organizations the right to bear arms.
wrong. The 2nd amendment is the one right of the people that makes sure all your other rights can not be taken from you.
carol

Orlando, FL

#823709 Dec 17, 2012
In his speech last night, President Obama hinted that he will take whatever steps necessary to get rid of all these guns. Long live President Obama and his courage to make America a safe place to live again!!!
Ironically, the president talked of children as being a vital part of ourselves with their very first cry. In actuality, every parent knows they become a vital part of ourselves when hearing the heartbeat for the very first time and seeing them moving around in the womb on a sonogram. He spoke of children being "suddenly exposed to the world, to possible mishap or malice, and every parent knows there’s nothing we will not do to shield our children from harm"...except suction them out with a vacuum or pierce the back of their neck with a sharp object upon delivery if they are an inconvenience.

A beating heart and moving limbs doesn't constitute a living human being apparently. Millions of these unborn lives will never even have a first cry because they aren't shielded from malice or harm.

That bothered me too.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823710 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>Her armed security personnel are law enforcement officers. The are there to protect the Senator from NRA gun nuts like you!
I am afraid of your food stamps...

Repeal Foodstamps!

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#823711 Dec 17, 2012
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Many are stolen from peoples homes. Two police officers in Miami were arrested for selling illegal guns; 600 guns, they were a married couple.
Anything for a buck
You dismissively accept the premise of crooks and how they steal guns or even sell guns (hello!) so your solution is to remove guns from the equation. Simplistic and ridiculous. How would you address drunk drivers who account for thousands of deaths every year,(11,000 in 2011) young and old alike, ban alcohol or vehicles? EVERYONE is glossing over the problem, we need to eliminate the a**holes before they eliminate us but removing the tools of their destruction isn't the answer.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823712 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>She has a better chance of being raped at a Tea Party riot than at an OWS event.
Your daughter will have a lot of problems waving her condom at her attackers...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823715 Dec 17, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, that's a pretty vague and rather empty statement. It's also pretty assumptive to assume that all adults are "responsible" just because they are of supposed adult age in years.
Just look at this instance that's plastered all over the media now.
There are no "facts" on that case on which to base a judgment on the mental health of the shooter or the fitness of the parents.

This may be a "black swan event."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 min Barrack Ebola 49,789
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 17 min Eric 69,356
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min loose cannon 177,969
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min Patriot AKA Bozo 46,578
Amy 9-16 45 min Mister Tonka 4
Abby 9-16 50 min PEllen 3
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Blwlgo 1,919
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr edogxxx 98,199
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000