Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
carol

Orlando, FL

#823709 Dec 17, 2012
Repeal the 2nd Amendment wrote:
In his speech last night, President Obama hinted that he will take whatever steps necessary to get rid of all these guns. Long live President Obama and his courage to make America a safe place to live again!!!
Ironically, the president talked of children as being a vital part of ourselves with their very first cry. In actuality, every parent knows they become a vital part of ourselves when hearing the heartbeat for the very first time and seeing them moving around in the womb on a sonogram. He spoke of children being "suddenly exposed to the world, to possible mishap or malice, and every parent knows there’s nothing we will not do to shield our children from harm"...except suction them out with a vacuum or pierce the back of their neck with a sharp object upon delivery if they are an inconvenience.

A beating heart and moving limbs doesn't constitute a living human being apparently. Millions of these unborn lives will never even have a first cry because they aren't shielded from malice or harm.

That bothered me too.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823710 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>Her armed security personnel are law enforcement officers. The are there to protect the Senator from NRA gun nuts like you!
I am afraid of your food stamps...

Repeal Foodstamps!

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#823711 Dec 17, 2012
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Many are stolen from peoples homes. Two police officers in Miami were arrested for selling illegal guns; 600 guns, they were a married couple.
Anything for a buck
You dismissively accept the premise of crooks and how they steal guns or even sell guns (hello!) so your solution is to remove guns from the equation. Simplistic and ridiculous. How would you address drunk drivers who account for thousands of deaths every year,(11,000 in 2011) young and old alike, ban alcohol or vehicles? EVERYONE is glossing over the problem, we need to eliminate the a**holes before they eliminate us but removing the tools of their destruction isn't the answer.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823712 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>She has a better chance of being raped at a Tea Party riot than at an OWS event.
Your daughter will have a lot of problems waving her condom at her attackers...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823715 Dec 17, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, that's a pretty vague and rather empty statement. It's also pretty assumptive to assume that all adults are "responsible" just because they are of supposed adult age in years.
Just look at this instance that's plastered all over the media now.
There are no "facts" on that case on which to base a judgment on the mental health of the shooter or the fitness of the parents.

This may be a "black swan event."
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823717 Dec 17, 2012
...lets talk about banning/legislating things that kill children...

Democrats BAMD together...AND ban the squirts NOW!!!!!!!!

"Diarrhoeal disease kills 1.5 million children every year."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs3...

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#823718 Dec 17, 2012
We need to cut back on permits to carry concealed guns.

At one time you needed a valid reason such as transporting valuables as taking store deposits to the bank.

Now anyone gets one as long as you have no criminal record they can find.

Guns uave this amazing power over some people. You know what I mean. You know the type.

When some people strap on the gun, their chest puffs out, their stride becomes a strut, they turn into super asshole.

Then you have those who are a few bricks short of a load. When they snap & gins are accessible, we have death.

Then you have those who lose their temper in a stressful situation & grab that handy gun & kill out of anger when without that accessibility there would be no death.

Most gun owners are reasonable, sane people who enjoy target shooting or hunting, feel safer with a gun nearby who would never look for that gun in the heat of an argument.

Unfortunately, we have no test to screen out the assholes, mental cases, & hot tempered.

Until then, ban the assault type rifles, ban the over sized clips, and limit concealed weapon permits.

Make training mandatory to buy a gun.

My home was hit by a 9 mm bullet 4 weeks ago. It hit the bedroom wall, my wife was in that room. The shooter was target shooting pumpkins about half a mile away. His excuse was he didn't think the bullets would go that far.

A few years back, another target shooter shot out my patio door with my son standing at that door. Ricochet? Really? They do that?

My pick up has a bullet hole in it.

My old pick up had one.

Yep, guns are safe.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823719 Dec 17, 2012
....protect our children...

BAN SWIMMING!

DEMOCRATS....ban pools NOW!!!!!!!!

"There are an estimated 388,000 annual drowning deaths worldwide."

"Drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury related deaths"

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs3...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823720 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Even if you believe, as most Americans do, that the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to bear arms, one must also acknowledge the right of other Americans to not bear arms and be safe.
Where are the voices for those who choose not to — or are not old enough to — own guns? Are the gunless to have no advocate? Will our politicians forever cower before the gun lobby?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/opinion/blo...
The police are there for those who choose to wait (assuming they can make a 9-1-1 call) instead of defending themselves.

Many people who choose not to own guns nevertheless defend the rights of others to do so.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823721 Dec 17, 2012
DEMOCRATS to the rescue...

SAVE US...

from

Clothers Dryers!

BAN THEM NOW!

"...1998, the most recent statistics available, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that over 15,600 dryer fires occurred killing 20 people, injuring 370 more and causing over $75.4 million in property damage."

http://www.provac-chimney-sweeps.com/home-saf...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823722 Dec 17, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you best call your Conservatives in Congress because they signed a pledge never ever to raise taxes regardless if it is best for this country.
Speaker Boehner has already made a move to increase taxes provided that Obama is willing to move on spending.

Obama refuses to compromise in any way.

So we go over the fiscal cliff.

(The Norquist pledge is just a red herring, not worthy of discussion.)
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823723 Dec 17, 2012
DEMOCRATS help...our seniors...

they are falling and...well dying...

BAN STAIRS and second and third floors in all buildings...

"In 2009, about 20,400 older adults died from unintentional fall injuries"

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823724 Dec 17, 2012
To non-Americans it seems incomprehensible that the murder of 20 first-graders wouldn’t be enough of an emotional jolt to propel a radical change of the gun laws. I fear however, that not even the slaughter of six-year-olds makes it more likely to happen.

The problem is that here in the US the issue of gun control is not a symmetrical debate between two opposing points of view. Politics is about telling the right stories, and, somehow, the gun lobby has taken firm ownership of the narrative of what it means to be an American.

Unlike in Britain, where the pro-gun movement, in as much as one exists, consists of a few toffs who want to shoot pheasants. In America, the sheer raw symbolism of guns is hard for outsiders to comprehend. The Second Amendment to the Constitution, the right to bear arms, is fundamental to the American psyche, leading to the peculiar doublethink that conflates guns inextricably with freedom. Guns are not so much weapons that kill children, but the gleaming trophies of the proud American’s fight against his imaginary oppressor. Guns aren’t just for citizens to defend themselves, they are a fundamental part of what makes them American in the first place. It is quite possibly one of the most ingenious and sinister PR messages ever crafted.

It is also a story that liberals rarely challenge on its fundamentals. However strongly the left may argue for specific reforms, they are mainly just tinkering around the edges. It is the right-wing that defines the debate, and it is a mark of the deep and enduring power of this narrative that it is left untouched by the mass murder of children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/e...

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#823725 Dec 17, 2012
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey pal, you voted for big government, not me. So what do you suggest, legalize and regulate, a legal free for all, legalize and tax? What's the difference? Colorado is already feeling the effects of legal pot. We have to quit treating illegal guns and illicit drug use as illnesses or minor offenses. Who, in this country, is afraid of being disciplined? I'll tell you, NO ONE. From adolescence to the grave, law breakers have little or nothing to fear. Parents can't discipline and the system won't. Until that changes, it won't matter whether we're Democrat, Republican, or Libertarian.
You're 0 for 2, I've never voted Dem or GOP sheepdip.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823726 Dec 17, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Armed security/law enforcement in schools-God bless their hearts.
Only the bullies, miscreants and those with protective authority problems, would have issue with that.
Police do not belong in schools, spying on people. Most police officers lack the appropriate education and demeanor to interact with children on a daily basis. Allowing this leads to surrender of our rights, like the muggers who work for the TSA.

Armed security can be provided at much lower cost using existing school personnel with appropriate training.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823727 Dec 17, 2012
DEMOCRATS help save us from....

Elavators and escalators!

30 brave souls are killed each year by crazed escalators/elevators...

SAVE US...pass a law NOW!!!!!!

http://www.cpwr.com/pdfs/pubs/research_pubs/e...

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#823728 Dec 17, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaker Boehner has already made a move to increase taxes provided that Obama is willing to move on spending.
Obama refuses to compromise in any way.
So we go over the fiscal cliff.
(The Norquist pledge is just a red herring, not worthy of discussion.)
You wish the Norquist pledge was a red herring. Conservatives hold that about their pledge to thus country.

Don't you find the conservstives approach to this as rather telling?

The Democrats want those who are doing well in the economy to give up their Bush tax cut, to help raise revenues.

The Conservatives want to protect the wealthy while demanding old people get less from Medicare to save money.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823730 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Somehow, the tea leaf-reading of what frontiersmen living 230-plus years ago thought about gun ownership takes precedence over the actual consequences of a current situation where guns are so easily obtained and used.
http://news.firedoglake.com/2012/12/14/though...
The U.S. Constitution is timeless, not to be changed by isolated current events.

However, a ban on military-style weapons may be appropriate, provided that it does not ban commonly used hunting rifles. The legislation should be very specific, with no latitude for bureaucrats to define the weapons.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#823731 Dec 17, 2012
RealDave wrote:
..My pick up has a bullet hole in it.
My old pick up had one.
Yep, guns are safe.
I see a pattern here. You must be well known in your community.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823732 Dec 17, 2012
Nj raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> He did have an assault rifle. He left it in the car. They think he realized he would'nt have made it far-that people would've seen him coming so he just used the 2 handguns (a glock & a 40 cal I think). I don't know how more gun regulations will affect this type of thing statistically, but I do know more guns are not the answer. If someone is hell bent on a mission of carnage more guns can only cause more problems & a greater chance of shooting a innocent by stander. You think them gangstas don't be strapped everyday & still wind up with they heads blown off. What you gun nuts are suggesting is just cuz you have a gun you'll be able to see something like this coming. A gun is not protection, a vest (bullet proof) is protection. This whole discussion is stupid. If that's what it takes to save our children then we as parents can't be too ignorant to put it on the table (a real strict assault rifle ban & more strict & highly enforced fun law proud).
The shooter apparently shot the victims (at least his mother) in the head.

So much for your "bullet proof vest."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 min JOEL 70,996
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 20 min Grau 68,881
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guru 181,755
Marcus Bachmann acts like a sissy 3 hr LOL 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr _Zoey_ 4,913
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 5 hr Le Duped 7
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 hr market indicators 98,836
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web