Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Nov 5, 2008, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823738 Dec 17, 2012
Democrats help!

PEOPLE are self-igniting...

BAN Mexican food...

{'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion}

Lets get a handle on this before it gets out of control...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-150326...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823739 Dec 17, 2012
Two Thoughts about Guns, Risks, and Safety

Two: This same warning against implementing policy decisions based on vivid-but-very-unlikely events applies to the people who are claiming that the answer to school massacres is arming our teachers. It’s especially ironic that this recommendation comes almost invariably from people who also believe in smaller government, because their chosen response to tragedy would be a government-mandated logistical quagmire: some government agency would have to buy the guns, train the teachers, set and enforce policies about gun storage and appropriate use, and so on and so on. And of course all this would just leave teachers with less time to confront the real and often quite serious problems they face every day.

I could write a very long blog post listing what’s wrong with the plan to arm teachers, especially the various unintended consequences that would spring from such a policy implemented nationwide. We can be absolutely sure that within a few years more people would be killed by teachers who fired their weapons accidentally or in misplaced anger or fear, or by students who stole their teachers’ guns, than have ever been killed in school massacres like those in Newtown and Columbine.

But what troubles me most about this suggestion — and the general More Guns approach to social ills — is the absolute abandonment of civil society it represents. It gives up on the rule of law in favor of a Hobbesian “war of every man against every man” in which we no longer have genuine neighbors, only potential enemies. You may trust your neighbor for now — but you have high-powered recourse if he ever acts wrongly.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/jacobs...

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#823740 Dec 17, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Only after it was all over and the police arrived.
Serious question: "lockdown" or "run like hell"?
There was an incident here on Friday night when two fugitives from an armed jewelry store robbery supposedly ran into a building at Cal State Fullerton. Police "locked down" the campus, refusing to let students leave the building and surrounding the building with heavily-armed paramilitary cops on overtime. After several hours, they finally figured out that the bad guys weren't there.
My point is that the "lockdown" theory is promoted by cops to help get the bad guys, not to protect innocent civilians.
I dunno, interviews I heard this morning indicated that cover in place worked to some extent.

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#823741 Dec 17, 2012
ole_47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask your 19 year old daughter abouts guns the next time she's being raped by the some Occupy Wall St idiot....
Raped at gun point? Regular people who need an assault rifle and a 100 round clip to feel safe should be banned...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823742 Dec 17, 2012
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try John, the religious nut-jobs are your buddies not ours. The really ironic thing is that if the Republican party also threw out NRA nut-jobs like yourself and was left with only fiscal conservatives I might think about voting Republican.
Each person is entitled to their own religious beliefs, but should not attempt to impose them on others. That includes atheists, whose anti-religious beliefs should not be imposed on others.

Just because a person supports the Constitution does not make them a member of any organization.

A fiscally conservative party free of religious influence will develop eventually. If the Republicans refuse to change, a new party will form and render the Republicans obsolete.

Our allegiance is to small-government conservatism, not to a party.

Location hidden

#823743 Dec 17, 2012
Fenris the Big Bad Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe its supposed to be, which illustrates why gun control is and always will be a joke......
Medical records are not public. It would probably show up if an individual was institutionalized by a court.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#823744 Dec 17, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
It's right and good that a president speak on behalf of a grieving nation at a time like this.
What was disconcerting to me was the campaign-like applause by those in attendance when the president was introduced to address the families and the nation.
It was not a time to be introduced as if at a political rally or the audience to clap like performing seals this time.
It was a somber time that needed no introductions and for the audience to respectfully remain silent.
That really bothered me.
If this event was in a church or part of any sort of religious observance or memorial, applause is never appropriate.

Note that I did not see the Obama campaign event.
proud2bwhite

Sherman, IL

#823745 Dec 17, 2012
Its a sad and sick thing to use the death of these children as a tool for a liberal agenda , but as it is ,the sick sad minds of liberals will not let a good tragedy go to waste.
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823746 Dec 17, 2012
DEMOCRATS help save our children...

take their CELL PHONES away...

"...Texting while driving causes 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2012/09/18/it...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823747 Dec 17, 2012
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), who has earned an "A" rating from the National Rifle Associaton, said Monday that he wants to bring the powerful pro-gun lobby into the imminent discussion on gun control, indicating that he would be receptive to an assault weapons ban that Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) said she would introduce.

"I don't know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle," Manchin said during an appearance on "Morning Joe." "I don't know anyone that needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/s...
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823748 Dec 17, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Raped at gun point? Regular people who need an assault rifle and a 100 round clip to feel safe should be banned...
If you were being raped what would you rather have:
1) a firearm
2) a tampon
3) birth control
4) a ham and cheese sandwich
5) a joint

Location hidden

#823749 Dec 17, 2012
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
I will read and post whatever I choose. townhall.com is as valid as your left-wing news which is EVERYWHERE!!!! Just turn on your tv!!!!
The right invented the "liberal conspiracy" and its true that the louder the right got the left did respond in kind but in the end, y'all invented left-wing media. The emergence of right-wing "news" and the left's response has destroyed news in this country.

You don't know what I read and your assumption is retarded. I get headlines on the commute from NPR, then I peruse Cato, Reason, the Economist, Mises, etc. I even read al Jazeera on occasion (this will elicit yet another retarded response because you don't know what al Jazeera really is). Have fun!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823750 Dec 17, 2012
proud2bwhite wrote:
Its a sad and sick thing to use the death of these children as a tool for a liberal agenda , but as it is ,the sick sad minds of liberals will not let a good tragedy go to waste.
not to worry. this usually happens....

NRA Sought Donations in Days After Colorado Shootings

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-07/nra-...
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823751 Dec 17, 2012
DEMOCTATS to the rescue...

Save Americans from choking...

BAN HOT DOGS and PEANUT BUTTER!

"The National Safety Council reports that annually nearly 3,000 people in the United
States die from choking."

http://www.equipforequality.org/programs/abus...

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#823752 Dec 17, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Raped at gun point? Regular people who need an assault rifle and a 100 round clip to feel safe should be banned...
Very revealing..... not a word about the rapist, just 'banning' people who choose to defend themselves. You're pathetic.

Since: Nov 09

Pharr, TX

#823753 Dec 17, 2012
ole_47 wrote:
DEMOCRATS to the rescue...
SAVE US...
from
Clothers Dryers!
BAN THEM NOW!
"...1998, the most recent statistics available, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that over 15,600 dryer fires occurred killing 20 people, injuring 370 more and causing over $75.4 million in property damage."
http://www.provac-chimney-sweeps.com/home-saf...
The problem with your logic, or lack of it, is that you won't recognize a limit regarding what weapon is reasonable for a citizen to possess. Should we all be able to own rocket launchers, tanks, hand grenades, atomic bombs???
A line has to be drawn somewhere, assault weapons cross the line.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823754 Dec 17, 2012
Murdoch Calls For Gun Reform While Fox News Demonizes Gun Reform

On Saturday, Murdoch took a swipe at the president: "Nice words from POTUS on shooting tragedy, but how about some bold leadership action?"

The irony here is that if Murdoch didn't own Fox News, Fox News hosts would denounce him for trying to "politicize" the Newtown shooting. That's what Murdoch's team did two weeks ago after NBC sportscaster Bob Costas spoke for 60 seconds during the halftime of an NFL game and addressed America's "gun culture" in the wake of Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher killing his girlfriend and then driving to the local football stadium and shooting himself in front of his coach.

The morning after his comments, Fox targeted Costas for a full-on barrage of criticism, denouncing him for having the audacity to broach the topic of gun violence. Costas was "kind of a coward" in the way he made his comments, which were possibly fueled by his own "political ambitions," according to Fox.

The message from Fox to Costas was unmistakable: Sit down and shut up about guns. But now, as Newtown prepares to bury 26 victims, Murdoch's lashing out at "politicians" and the "POTUS" for failing to lead on gun reform?

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/12/17/murdo...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823756 Dec 17, 2012
For Fox News, It's Never The Right Time To Discuss Gun Violence

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/12/03/for-f...
ole_47

Oklahoma City, OK

#823757 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
not to worry. this usually happens....
NRA Sought Donations in Days After Colorado Shootings
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-07/nra-...
YOU....YOU are responsible!

Fatalities...from TVs or furniture falling on people...

CLEAN UP your ACT mister!

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia11/os/ti...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823758 Dec 17, 2012
though maybe this time it'll be different....

NRA's Facebook page disappears after Connecticut school shooting raises anger

The National Rifle Association touted having 1.7 million 'likes' on the social media site the day before Friday's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Since then, the pro-gun group apparently deactivated its page and stopped tweeting.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nra-...

no fundraising? run and hide. even more telling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Guru 187,395
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Mothra 52,886
Ask Amy 4-25-15 18 min Mister Tonka 6
Dear Abby 4-27-15 24 min Mister Tonka 8
abby 4-26 1 hr Blunt Advice 5
Ask Amy 4-27-15 1 hr Stina2 6
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr RACE 8,018
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]