Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Read more
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#823662 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Even if you believe, as most Americans do, that the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to bear arms, one must also acknowledge the right of other Americans to not bear arms and be safe.
Where are the voices for those who choose not to — or are not old enough to — own guns? Are the gunless to have no advocate? Will our politicians forever cower before the gun lobby?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/opinion/blo...
I believe that in this country that individuals are free to not own a gun, so I don't see where their rights are being oppressed. Removing guns from law biding citizens will not remove the guns from the criminals.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823663 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Even if you believe, as most Americans do, that the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to bear arms, one must also acknowledge the right of other Americans to not bear arms and be safe.
Where are the voices for those who choose not to — or are not old enough to — own guns? Are the gunless to have no advocate? Will our politicians forever cower before the gun lobby?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/opinion/blo...
Armed security/law enforcement in schools-God bless their hearts.

Only the bullies, miscreants and those with protective authority problems, would have issue with that.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823664 Dec 17, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So,the NRA is using this tragedy to collect money from duumbf*cks like you.
I am not surprised.
Why political lobbying and spending needs capped in the WORST way.

The uncountable greedy outstretched palms waiting to be greased of those worshipping nothing but the stinkin' dollar, corruption brought on by less than desirable and tainted power mongers and the likes, has corrupted almost every fiber of the mechanical workings of this nation.

But it's a little cynical to say they NRA is just out to profit for themselves Duh A Vey. Did it ever occur to you, that perhaps a lot of that will go to help the victims of this senseless tragedy?
Did it? Why so quick to assume such, in such a negative way? Jus to dis something you don't align with?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823665 Dec 17, 2012
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that in this country that individuals are free to not own a gun, so I don't see where their rights are being oppressed. Removing guns from law biding citizens will not remove the guns from the criminals.
law abiding citizens who own weapons of war have them stolen all the time.

sensible gun control would do. i own a handgun, but what good would it do me against 600 rounds per minute. i have to laugh every time i see some wingnut talking about arming everyone. we'd all need AKs.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823666 Dec 17, 2012
Somehow, the tea leaf-reading of what frontiersmen living 230-plus years ago thought about gun ownership takes precedence over the actual consequences of a current situation where guns are so easily obtained and used.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2012/12/14/though...
Nj raider 1

United States

#823667 Dec 17, 2012
proud2bwhite wrote:
<quoted text>he did not have an asault rifle.
He did have an assault rifle. He left it in the car. They think he realized he would'nt have made it far-that people would've seen him coming so he just used the 2 handguns (a glock & a 40 cal I think). I don't know how more gun regulations will affect this type of thing statistically, but I do know more guns are not the answer. If someone is hell bent on a mission of carnage more guns can only cause more problems & a greater chance of shooting a innocent by stander. You think them gangstas don't be strapped everyday & still wind up with they heads blown off. What you gun nuts are suggesting is just cuz you have a gun you'll be able to see something like this coming. A gun is not protection, a vest (bullet proof) is protection. This whole discussion is stupid. If that's what it takes to save our children then we as parents can't be too ignorant to put it on the table (a real strict assault rifle ban & more strict & highly enforced fun law proud).
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823668 Dec 17, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you best call your Conservatives in Congress because they signed a pledge never ever to raise taxes regardless if it is best for this country.
Can't fence sit on issues like those DAvey.

This nation has to have a BUDGET and spending has to controlled.

It's already went WAY beyond in tolerance of just tap dancing to the muzac, the past four years.

Time for those in the world of make believe that such doesn't have to be dealt with, to grow up. And if that includes raising taxes on many who are already taxed out, then it should also include limiting those who do nothing but take, take, take.
Especially since so many these days seem to illogically expect, the givverment and other people owe them some sort of "champagne lifestyle, on beer budget wallets"...because those kinds couldn't be more WRONG with such WARPED, unrealisTic expectations.
Lincoln Duncan

United States

#823669 Dec 17, 2012
Proud of President Obama

President Obama on Sunday vowed to use “whatever power this office holds” in coming weeks to prevent mass shootings like the one that killed 26 people at an elementary school last week, 20 of them small children.
Related

Obama, speaking to hundreds of mourners assembled at Newtown High School, said he would gather law enforcement officials, educators, and mental health workers to find ways to prevent future shootings. As he spoke, many in the audience sobbed, clutched teddy bears or hugged their children.

“We can’t tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end,” the president said in a televised speech that lasted nearly 20 minutes.“And to end them, we must change. We will be told that the causes of such violence are complex and that is true. No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society, but that can’t be an excuse for inaction. Surely we can do better than this.”

The president had wept Friday when told of the shootings, but on Sunday he spoke with somber resolve. He offered few details, but made clear that politics should not trump public safety, and that America had to act to protect its children.

“Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard?” he asked.“Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?”

To make his point, he read the names of each victim. At the end, the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

Hundreds gathered outside Newtown High School during the vigil, listening to Obama, other speeches and prayers as they held candles and American flags. As Obama spoke, the crowd outside stood quietly and sheltered their candles from the wind.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823670 Dec 17, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Armed security/law enforcement in schools-God bless their hearts.
Only the bullies, miscreants and those with protective authority problems, would have issue with that.
...and we never have children killed by guns because of an 'accident'?

once again: ABORTION, ABORTION, ABORTION!(shhhh, very quietly(guns, guns, guns)just don't tell anyone they kill kids).

pathetic.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823671 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
law abiding citizens who own weapons of war have them stolen all the time.
sensible gun control would do. i own a handgun, but what good would it do me against 600 rounds per minute. i have to laugh every time i see some wingnut talking about arming everyone. we'd all need AKs.
The "irrational" animalistic level behind that mindlessness is obvious.
What was that saying...

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said in Philadelphia last night.“Because from what I understand, folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”

How about we return to the days when strong arming via lethal weapons, was not something to be exactly proud of.

KINDER, GENTLER days for everyone-because low-level, push and shove, mob MENTALity Sucks!
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823672 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
...and we never have children killed by guns because of an 'accident'?
once again: ABORTION, ABORTION, ABORTION!(shhhh, very quietly(guns, guns, guns)just don't tell anyone they kill kids).
pathetic.
I didn't say that, but armed security in schools, in the hands of the accountable and responsible, might deter lunaTics from access to innocents.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823673 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Somehow, the tea leaf-reading of what frontiersmen living 230-plus years ago thought about gun ownership takes precedence over the actual consequences of a current situation where guns are so easily obtained and used.
http://news.firedoglake.com/2012/12/14/though...
Good article.

Maybe the NRA should read it too.(Sadly-this would be one time if they called my phone, I might not HANG UP on them.)

Get a clue NRA and congressional LOBBYISTS.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823674 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>
The "irrational" animalistic level behind that mindlessness is obvious.
What was that saying...
“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said in Philadelphia last night.“Because from what I understand, folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”
How about we return to the days when strong arming via lethal weapons, was not something to be exactly proud of.
KINDER, GENTLER days for everyone-because low-level, push and shove, mob MENTALity Sucks!
if mob mentality sucks, maybe you should try stepping away from it.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823675 Dec 17, 2012
Lincoln Duncan wrote:
Proud of President Obama
President Obama on Sunday vowed to use “whatever power this office holds” in coming weeks to prevent mass shootings like the one that killed 26 people at an elementary school last week, 20 of them small children.
Related
Obama, speaking to hundreds of mourners assembled at Newtown High School, said he would gather law enforcement officials, educators, and mental health workers to find ways to prevent future shootings. As he spoke, many in the audience sobbed, clutched teddy bears or hugged their children.
“We can’t tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end,” the president said in a televised speech that lasted nearly 20 minutes.“And to end them, we must change. We will be told that the causes of such violence are complex and that is true. No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society, but that can’t be an excuse for inaction. Surely we can do better than this.”
The president had wept Friday when told of the shootings, but on Sunday he spoke with somber resolve. He offered few details, but made clear that politics should not trump public safety, and that America had to act to protect its children.
“Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard?” he asked.“Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?”
To make his point, he read the names of each victim. At the end, the crowd gave him a standing ovation.
Hundreds gathered outside Newtown High School during the vigil, listening to Obama, other speeches and prayers as they held candles and American flags. As Obama spoke, the crowd outside stood quietly and sheltered their candles from the wind.
Guess what Lincoln,

This is NOT about Obama...and it's SICKENING to make it about ANY nothing but a politicians stage appearances. Sickening!!!!!!!!!!

It's about yet more FAILURE in America-to PROTECT- it's most valuable, the INNOCENT lives of children.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823676 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
if mob mentality sucks, maybe you should try stepping away from it.
I did.

I prefer interacting with people as individuals, based on their individual persona's...rather than just following whatever the herd pack was/is following at the moment.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823677 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>
I didn't say that, but armed security in schools, in the hands of the accountable and responsible, might deter lunaTics from access to innocents.
might?

are we going to do background checks on those who will be 'accountable and responsible'? much like we don't do them at gun shows?

it's an idea that's full of holes. so it just ends up sounding like more gun lobby propaganda.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823678 Dec 17, 2012
<quoted text>
I did.
I prefer interacting with people as individuals, based on their individual persona's...rather than just following whatever the herd pack was/is following at the moment.
you're about as contradictory as anyone here.

you can take that as a compliment.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823679 Dec 17, 2012
On April 28, 1996, a gunman opened fire on tourists in a seaside resort in Port Arthur, Tasmania. By the time he was finished, he had killed 35 people and wounded 23 more. It was the worst mass murder in Australia’s history.

Twelve days later, Australia’s government did something remarkable. Led by newly elected conservative Prime Minister John Howard, it announced a bipartisan deal with state and local governments to enact sweeping gun-control measures. A decade and a half hence, the results of these policy changes are clear: They worked really, really well.

At the heart of the push was a massive buyback of more than 600,000 semi-automatic shotguns and rifles, or about one-fifth of all firearms in circulation in Australia. The country’s new gun laws prohibited private sales, required that all weapons be individually registered to their owners, and required that gun buyers present a “genuine reason” for needing each weapon at the time of the purchase.(Self-defense did not count.) In the wake of the tragedy, polls showed public support for these measures at upwards of 90 percent.

What happened next has been the subject of several academic studies. Violent crime and gun-related deaths did not come to an end in Australia, of course. But as the Washington Post’s Wonkblog pointed out in August, homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent. Studies found a close correlation between the sharp declines and the gun buybacks. Robberies involving a firearm also dropped significantly. Meanwhile, home invasions did not increase, contrary to fears that firearm ownership is needed to deter such crimes. But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/16/g...
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823680 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
might?
are we going to do background checks on those who will be 'accountable and responsible'? much like we don't do them at gun shows?
it's an idea that's full of holes. so it just ends up sounding like more gun lobby propaganda.
ABSOLUTELY-Properly TRAINED and thoroughly background checked.

I already stated-that I felt such shouldn't be displayed as flea market items, available to just anyone for purchase.

DO you have a better idea to protect inncoents? Aside from enforcing harder-already in existance regulations?

I didn't think so.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823681 Dec 17, 2012
this one will get you wingnuts going....

The Secret History of Guns

The Ku Klux Klan, Ronald Reagan, and, for most of its history, the NRA all worked to control guns. The Founding Fathers? They required gun ownership—and regulated it. And no group has more fiercely advocated the right to bear loaded weapons in public than the Black Panthers—the true pioneers of the modern pro-gun movement. In the battle over gun rights in America, both sides have distorted history and the law, and there’s no resolution in sight.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 18 min Sam 71,700
Amy 3-30-15 20 min Mister Tonka 22
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min Hey baby 52,359
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 51 min CDC 51,881
Abby 3-30-15 1 hr Mister Tonka 7
News Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 1 hr WelbyMD 54,569
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Rogue Scholar 05 185,921
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]