Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1264634 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

PDUPONT

Chicopee, MA

#823652 Dec 17, 2012
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>We should all be unarmed so we can all be victims of criminals who do not obey laws anyway, do you have any idea what kind of response time cops average when called , unless they are sitting on scene they will be at best minutes away when seconds count , hell this nut killed those babies right next door to a fire dept. and fired over a hundred rounds , if one legally armed citizen would have been on scene it had the potential to change the whole entire outcome but it was a gun free zone , did the shooter care that it was a gun free zone ? I bet the parents are all for a armed citizen on site now , you nor anyone else has the right to disarm me and deny me the right to make sure I can protect my babies on my own , I have never depended on the govt. for a goddamned thing and I damn sure aint gonna put my familys saftey in the hands of corrupt politicians that I wouldn't trust in a shithouse with muzzles on .
Sure moron, this guy was armed with an assault rifle and wearing body armor. A civilian with a hand gun wouldn't stand much of a chance and would have more than likely hit more children. In August police min NYC who are trained and required to be regularly recertified with their weapons shot an armed man and in the process shot several bystanders.
You're an idiot!
proud2bwhite

Sherman, IL

#823653 Dec 17, 2012
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure moron, this guy was armed with an assault rifle and wearing body armor. A civilian with a hand gun wouldn't stand much of a chance and would have more than likely hit more children. In August police min NYC who are trained and required to be regularly recertified with their weapons shot an armed man and in the process shot several bystanders.
You're an idiot!
he did not have an asault rifle.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823654 Dec 17, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
No, talking about kids who appear odd to responsible adults.
With all due respect, that's a pretty vague and rather empty statement. It's also pretty assumptive to assume that all adults are "responsible" just because they are of supposed adult age in years.

Just look at this instance that's plastered all over the media now.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823655 Dec 17, 2012
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Parents of children on the spectrum are up in arms about the reference to his diagnosis. They're claiming the media is equating Asperger's/autism with psycopathic tendencies. In a sense, they are, since so few people understand the disorder; and even fewer know the difference between it and the syndrome. But dang, it sure adds another layer to the story. Seems it doesn't matter anymore whether it's true or not...
And any one who has ever had any experience remotely, in even just knowing some one that may be afflicted with such, should realize, sudden outbreaks of violent behavior, is certainly not unheard of.

Unless they're living in some sort of denial, of their own limitations.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823656 Dec 17, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Very few, because they believe in Christmas in July and free lunch every day.
The "fiscal cliff" is pretty much the same as the recommendations of Obama's deficit reduction commission.
Kids fare far better when they're not spoon fed hearty supplies of sugar coated crap, on wholly dependent,
"other peoples hard work" and/or givverment enabled spoons. They learn to realize early on then, the givverment and OTHER peoples hard earned dollars, are NOT there for just their subsistance, there's NO such thing as trees that grow dollars or FWEE endless supplies of them and that the world does NOT owe them a living, but rather instead, opportunities to EARN it themselves.
NOt to say that we should just let people struggle themselves for the basis needs in life, but we do them NO favors, when we go beyond and create masses of the unrealistically dependendant, with unrealistic realities, as well as UNfair expectations of others.
IMHumbleO--Anyone who would like to try and say otherwise, should be viewed with great skeptisism, especially when using terms like "responsible adults" because "responsible adults" Know BETTER.
Nostrils Henry Waxman

Windsor, CT

#823657 Dec 17, 2012
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot!
Sure Libtard. By your Libtard math, you think it's better to have 26 stone cold dead than to have people injured?

I prefer that they change the laws so people who have nutjobs in their house cannot have guns. These Democrats in the "rich, lily white Democrat town" knew their son had a mental disorder. Of course you dumb Democrats like the thread gun nut Old Raider don't like that because you have a higher percentage of mentally ill people on your side.

Oh well, at least Obama is going for a photo op on Monday, a good news cycle day. As President Axledrod said, never let a good disaster go to waste to further our agenda.

let's see...

26 dead to a couple of injured people? Hmmmm....

You are a complete and utter moron, dweeb!!!!!!!
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823658 Dec 17, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
When I saw the silently scrolling names of those children on my TV screen yesterday evening, I was reminded of something written 2000 years ago by one of the Ancients. Can't remember the name nor the exact quote as written but, if I may humbly try paraphrasing, it went something like this:
Life is full of tragedy but the most tragic of all is not sickness nor death and loss in battles. Although these are truly tragic, the supreme human pathos, the ultimate tragedy is that which could have been but never was.
Those kids could have been _______. Fill in the blank. They are paths not taken.
There is always a fly in the ointment, though. Someone telling jokes at a funeral. A drunk hitting on the bride. A war protester at a veteran's funeral. A President as Publicity Hound off the leash.
After seeing maybe 20 news reports on the Newtown tragedy, I found myself increasingly irritated with the Boy Messiah's face on my screen. I said aloud "This is about the children and their parents. The community's loss. It's not about you, you jerk!"
The Liberal media keeps plastering the airwaves of the Boy Messiah and I'm no longer watching the media. I can mourn in private without the Jerk-In-Chief interfering. STFU, Boy MEssiah!
Ever wonder why they call it poliTICS?(aside from the obvious given meaning).

Give me humble and realizing of ones own limitations of being merely human any day. To vault any one person to a position of some sort of all knowing "God-like" figure is in itself, sickening...almost have to feel sorry for opotus at other times too, because of some of that type of thing that has went on. How unfair (and WARPED) is THAT to any one person as well.

I hope the media (or politics) will not impose any further hurt, on those already suffering the worst hurt imaginable, imposed by someone else, and not anything of their own doings, and may they find some sort of comfort and strength in knowing that many indeed, truly mourn with them.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823659 Dec 17, 2012
Even if you believe, as most Americans do, that the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to bear arms, one must also acknowledge the right of other Americans to not bear arms and be safe.

Where are the voices for those who choose not to — or are not old enough to — own guns? Are the gunless to have no advocate? Will our politicians forever cower before the gun lobby?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/opinion/blo...

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#823660 Dec 17, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
They've been emailing patriotic Americans since the Newtown incident.
I've gotten several. And I contributed.
You're not on that list, fool.
Go ahead. Ask some more stupid questions.
So,the NRA is using this tragedy to collect money from duumbf*cks like you.

I am not surprised.

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#823661 Dec 17, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you support raising taxes to maintain the size of government instead of emphasizing cutting government programs.
Many conservatives would support tax increases coupled with significant budget cuts to move toward a balanced budget.
However, in the current environment, the "fiscal cliff" is preferable to Obama's ridiculous plan.
Then you best call your Conservatives in Congress because they signed a pledge never ever to raise taxes regardless if it is best for this country.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#823662 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Even if you believe, as most Americans do, that the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to bear arms, one must also acknowledge the right of other Americans to not bear arms and be safe.
Where are the voices for those who choose not to — or are not old enough to — own guns? Are the gunless to have no advocate? Will our politicians forever cower before the gun lobby?
I believe that in this country that individuals are free to not own a gun, so I don't see where their rights are being oppressed. Removing guns from law biding citizens will not remove the guns from the criminals.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823663 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Armed security/law enforcement in schools-God bless their hearts.

Only the bullies, miscreants and those with protective authority problems, would have issue with that.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823664 Dec 17, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So,the NRA is using this tragedy to collect money from duumbf*cks like you.
I am not surprised.
Why political lobbying and spending needs capped in the WORST way.

The uncountable greedy outstretched palms waiting to be greased of those worshipping nothing but the stinkin' dollar, corruption brought on by less than desirable and tainted power mongers and the likes, has corrupted almost every fiber of the mechanical workings of this nation.

But it's a little cynical to say they NRA is just out to profit for themselves Duh A Vey. Did it ever occur to you, that perhaps a lot of that will go to help the victims of this senseless tragedy?
Did it? Why so quick to assume such, in such a negative way? Jus to dis something you don't align with?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823665 Dec 17, 2012
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that in this country that individuals are free to not own a gun, so I don't see where their rights are being oppressed. Removing guns from law biding citizens will not remove the guns from the criminals.
law abiding citizens who own weapons of war have them stolen all the time.

sensible gun control would do. i own a handgun, but what good would it do me against 600 rounds per minute. i have to laugh every time i see some wingnut talking about arming everyone. we'd all need AKs.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823666 Dec 17, 2012
Somehow, the tea leaf-reading of what frontiersmen living 230-plus years ago thought about gun ownership takes precedence over the actual consequences of a current situation where guns are so easily obtained and used.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2012/12/14/though...
Nj raider 1

United States

#823667 Dec 17, 2012
proud2bwhite wrote:
<quoted text>he did not have an asault rifle.
He did have an assault rifle. He left it in the car. They think he realized he would'nt have made it far-that people would've seen him coming so he just used the 2 handguns (a glock & a 40 cal I think). I don't know how more gun regulations will affect this type of thing statistically, but I do know more guns are not the answer. If someone is hell bent on a mission of carnage more guns can only cause more problems & a greater chance of shooting a innocent by stander. You think them gangstas don't be strapped everyday & still wind up with they heads blown off. What you gun nuts are suggesting is just cuz you have a gun you'll be able to see something like this coming. A gun is not protection, a vest (bullet proof) is protection. This whole discussion is stupid. If that's what it takes to save our children then we as parents can't be too ignorant to put it on the table (a real strict assault rifle ban & more strict & highly enforced fun law proud).
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823668 Dec 17, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you best call your Conservatives in Congress because they signed a pledge never ever to raise taxes regardless if it is best for this country.
Can't fence sit on issues like those DAvey.

This nation has to have a BUDGET and spending has to controlled.

It's already went WAY beyond in tolerance of just tap dancing to the muzac, the past four years.

Time for those in the world of make believe that such doesn't have to be dealt with, to grow up. And if that includes raising taxes on many who are already taxed out, then it should also include limiting those who do nothing but take, take, take.
Especially since so many these days seem to illogically expect, the givverment and other people owe them some sort of "champagne lifestyle, on beer budget wallets"...because those kinds couldn't be more WRONG with such WARPED, unrealisTic expectations.
Lincoln Duncan

United States

#823669 Dec 17, 2012
Proud of President Obama

President Obama on Sunday vowed to use “whatever power this office holds” in coming weeks to prevent mass shootings like the one that killed 26 people at an elementary school last week, 20 of them small children.
Related

Obama, speaking to hundreds of mourners assembled at Newtown High School, said he would gather law enforcement officials, educators, and mental health workers to find ways to prevent future shootings. As he spoke, many in the audience sobbed, clutched teddy bears or hugged their children.

“We can’t tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end,” the president said in a televised speech that lasted nearly 20 minutes.“And to end them, we must change. We will be told that the causes of such violence are complex and that is true. No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society, but that can’t be an excuse for inaction. Surely we can do better than this.”

The president had wept Friday when told of the shootings, but on Sunday he spoke with somber resolve. He offered few details, but made clear that politics should not trump public safety, and that America had to act to protect its children.

“Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard?” he asked.“Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?”

To make his point, he read the names of each victim. At the end, the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

Hundreds gathered outside Newtown High School during the vigil, listening to Obama, other speeches and prayers as they held candles and American flags. As Obama spoke, the crowd outside stood quietly and sheltered their candles from the wind.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#823670 Dec 17, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Armed security/law enforcement in schools-God bless their hearts.
Only the bullies, miscreants and those with protective authority problems, would have issue with that.
...and we never have children killed by guns because of an 'accident'?

once again: ABORTION, ABORTION, ABORTION!(shhhh, very quietly(guns, guns, guns)just don't tell anyone they kill kids).

pathetic.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#823671 Dec 17, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
law abiding citizens who own weapons of war have them stolen all the time.
sensible gun control would do. i own a handgun, but what good would it do me against 600 rounds per minute. i have to laugh every time i see some wingnut talking about arming everyone. we'd all need AKs.
The "irrational" animalistic level behind that mindlessness is obvious.
What was that saying...

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said in Philadelphia last night.“Because from what I understand, folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”

How about we return to the days when strong arming via lethal weapons, was not something to be exactly proud of.

KINDER, GENTLER days for everyone-because low-level, push and shove, mob MENTALity Sucks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Dale 194,728
Ask Amy August 3 25 min mrs gladys kravitz 9
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 1 hr _Zoey_ 443
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr _Zoey_ 5,383
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr _Zoey_ 6,260
News Grasping abortion debate (Aug '09) 4 hr bbc 11
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr Adolph Dawetter 52,071
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr PEllen 100,306
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages