Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Obama 2016

Virginia Beach, VA

#821755 Dec 14, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people work for corporations that are non-union. Salaries and benefits are driven by competition for the best employees.
Individuals are compensated based on their individual worth.
Ever talk to a classroom teacher about their feelings about being paid the same as a gym teacher or librarian who does a fraction of the work that they do?
How do you know how much work librarians and gym teachers do? Are you a librarian or gym teacher? No, your not. You dont know nothing.
Obama 2016

Virginia Beach, VA

#821756 Dec 14, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I just kicked your adolescent tush.
Your knee-jerk reaction is "Who cares?"
Hee, Hee. I rest my case:>
Go play in that corner I put you in.
Who cares? Your an idiot.

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#821758 Dec 14, 2012
entrenched wrote:
<quoted text>take one zero off , its 6.2 million not 62.2 million
You are right, I was wrong.
Obama 2016

Virginia Beach, VA

#821759 Dec 14, 2012
Obama 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>The unions did not cause Hostess' demise. Hostess caused their own demise by producing fattening, unhealthy food. Their junk food is banned in many public schools.
Walmart is trying to buy the now defuct Hostess foods company. Now they cannot only kill their overworked slave laborers with poor working condition, low pay and no benefits, they can poison them to death too. And Walmart sells guns and ammo. It's time for the goverment to take a close look at Walmart. Their practices would not be tolerated in most countries.
Obama 2016

Virginia Beach, VA

#821760 Dec 14, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should blame Obama for throwing Susan Rice under the bus.
Maybe Obama didn't want Susan Rice in the first place, but lacked the balls to tell her so and needed Republican help.
Maybe the folks at Goldman Sachs wanted someone else.
Susan Rice withdrew herself from consideration because she was tired of the sexist, racist attacks from Republicans. She was tired of being the prime target of the republican's "War on Women" and "War on Blacks".
Obama 2016

Virginia Beach, VA

#821761 Dec 14, 2012
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>You are clueless as to how this country was founded and the true cost of freedom , the second amendment shall not be infringed upon , the tree of liberty need be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike from time to time . Now get back to the drive thru window .
Don't you have a KKK rally or Tea Party riot to attend?
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#821762 Dec 14, 2012
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>I'm right enough to whip your anti-union ass into a lather. Guess that's proof enough.
:)
Prove right-to-work ever results in a move up the ladder for the working man.
G'head, as deb likes to say.
:)
Americans for Prosperity believes in defending workers’ right to a secret ballot. However, union organizers and liberals want to take this right away. This would make it easier for union bosses to pressure workers into joining unions.

Are they right? Let’s take a look at the issue and some data.

An article by Robert Reich, President Clinton’s Secretary of Labor, discusses two key points through which to view liberals intentions on this issue.

1) The only way to get the economy back on track is to boost the purchasing power of the middle class by expanding unions so workers get higher wages.

2) Create a Utopian view of life in 1955 (1/3 of workers belonged to unions and wages were high) and says now because less that 8 percent of the private sector is union, wages are low & impossible to form unions.

Conservative Perspective on Forced Unionization:
* It is a myth that government can make people rich by propping up wages. If you force wages to be artificially high you are going to force companies out of business.
* You will also make other people unemployed.
* You price people out of the labor market.
* These are the policies that extended the Great Depression.
* People today understand that unions aren’t beneficial.
* It would be great to see unions work with companies to make them better and more profitable—they offer no value and shouldn’t be able to force people to join.
* They should find a way to appeal to workers where they would actually want to join.
* Powerful union makes it hard to fire employees and discourage businesses from investing.
* Union companies have to invest in more equipment to get more out of each worker since wages are so high.
* Productivity growth has actually been slightly HIGHER in the right-to-work states on average than the union shop states, showing that the workplace restrictions imposed by unions may be counterproductive...

Aphiemi. Facts On Right-To-Work Vs. Forced Union States. WordPress. 2/2009.
------

EVERYthing has pros AND cons!!
RUSH10ME

Chase City, VA

#821763 Dec 14, 2012
Obama 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you have a KKK rally or Tea Party riot to attend?
No I don't, but I do have some reloading to do , gonna do a few hundred copstoppers a day for awhile , don't you have cars piling up in the drive thru?
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#821764 Dec 14, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a stay-at-home mom scrubbing hubbie's shoes. Get out much? Bingo?
I once worked in a union shop where the company and the union leaders slept together. Horrible working conditions and low pay.
I left.
Your naivete can't be hidden beneath that Burqua, babe.
Oh grievance no..say it aint so lol.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#821765 Dec 14, 2012
Obama 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Susan Rice withdrew herself from consideration because she was tired of the sexist, racist attacks from Republicans. She was tired of being the prime target of the republican's "War on Women" and "War on Blacks".
No, she knows the Benghazi stuff isn't going to "puff the majik dragonally" just "go away"...and why should she have to be the SCAPEGOAT for OTHERS IGNORANCE and stupidity.

Smart move on her part--GOOD for HER!!!!!!!!!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#821766 Dec 14, 2012
The Amazing Hypocrisy of the "Right To Work"

In terms of practical economic impacts, I think the right-to-work controversy set off by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder's decision to undertake a lame duck flip-flop is perhaps overstated. If you compare Montgomery County in labor-friendly Maryland to Fairfax County in right-to-work Virginia, your overwhelming impression will be that these are very similar affluent suburbs of the same city. But apples-to-apple comparisons are hard to find and since union rules are highly correlated with other political indicators it's easy to cherry pick points. The conservative parts of America are generally poorer than the liberal parts, but also faster-growing. So if you want to claim that right-to-work laws are immiserating or growth-friendly, you can help yourself to whatever statistics you like.

But what's not murky is the absurd hypocrisy that has to go into making the case for right-to-work legislation.

The way this works is that if there's a labor union at a given business establishment that's bargaining for some higher pay or benefits or better work-rules or whatever it's rapidly going to find that there's a free rider problem. Everyone in the relevant class of workers gets the benefits whether or not they join the union. So something the union is often going to want to bargain for is some kind of rule stating that everyone hired in the relevant class has to join the union, or has to pay dues to the union, or something else along those lines.

Now naturally an employer's not going to want to agree to that. But he's not going to want to agree to higher pay or more vacation days either. That's why it's a negotiation. A right-to-work law is a law banning employers from making that concession.

The impact, obviously, is to make it hard to form strong unions in a given jurisdiction and thus make it a more business-friendly jurisdiction. But note that this same trick works across the board. You could just ban pay raises in general. Any one firm, after all, faces a dilemma. On the one hand it would be more profitable to pay people less. On the other hand, it's also unprofitable to have everyone quit to go work for some other higher-paying company. So a law against pay raises would make everyone more profitable, spurring crazy business investment and job creation. Except nobody does that because it would be (a) insane and (b) obviously unfair. And yet the proponents of right-to-work laws are generally exactly the people most inclined to stand up for freedom of contract under other circumstances.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/12/1...

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#821767 Dec 14, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's try to keep this above ghetto level, OK?
Sister Kathryn Lust may have her failings but she's not mugging people, on Food Stamps, selling herself or drugs, doesn't own a Free Cellphone and shoot stray cats for target practice or bet on dog fights. At least I thinks so.
You thinks right - although, if it were legal, I would take deadly aim at members of the feral cat colony next door, on a semi-regular basis. But it isn't, so they're safe, free, and multiplying monthly. If it wasn't for the damn feral cats, I could have a kitty of my own again, but they're riddled with disease and territorial as all hell. It won't be safe around here for a regular house cat, until they're gone. I content myself with shooting dog-fighters on a semi-regular basis instead.

(kidding)
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>Besides, she makes a mean pizza.
Yes I do. One of these fine days, if we ever meet in person, I'll bake you a double-decker with any toppings you want.
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>We'll talk about my failings at a later date.
Gee, why wait? No time like the present...

:)

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#821768 Dec 14, 2012
Obama 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>Susan Rice withdrew herself from consideration because she was tired of the sexist, racist attacks from Republicans. She was tired of being the prime target of the republican's "War on Women" and "War on Blacks".
Susan Rice withdrew because she didn't want to put up with the scrutiny her family would have to go through. Don't give us the horsehockey about 'War on Women','War on Blacks'.. That's a smokescreen.

“GONE FISHING”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#821769 Dec 14, 2012
Obama 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>A bunch of fat alcoholic tobacco-chewing redneck goobers up against the highly trained U.S. military and Homeland Security forces. HAH!!! That would be fun to watch. I hope they televise it live.
Unfortunately we have a lot of those teabag dirt bags in Florida. never served in military but play in the woods on weekends with guns, they neither know how to use or know about killing another human...
Republicans are pathetic...They send our kids to fight for them around the globe and send their sons to phony church camp...I pray for the war they want, get rid of the wackos for good. fertilize the ground with the lot of them...They won't be missed...

BUY THE WAY CAROL YOUR AN ASSLICKING IDIOT
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#821770 Dec 14, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, I was wrong.
Yeah DUH A VEY---get another A fer the day--for being SMART enough to know there's NO such thing as perfection (and that nothing BUT or beyond) that..right vs wrong MENTALity... is for ignorant IDIOTS!

Now if ALL (NOT just SOME--but ALL) the members of Congress and the REST of the bunch would get THAT concept---maybe AMERICA would fare thee well better some again!!
RUSH10ME

Chase City, VA

#821771 Dec 14, 2012
keyedup wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately we have a lot of those teabag dirt bags in Florida. never served in military but play in the woods on weekends with guns, they neither know how to use or know about killing another human...
Republicans are pathetic...They send our kids to fight for them around the globe and send their sons to phony church camp...I pray for the war they want, get rid of the wackos for good. fertilize the ground with the lot of them...They won't be missed...
BUY THE WAY CAROL YOUR AN ASSLICKING IDIOT
I wonder if I can fit the word "keyedup" on a .308 ?
carol

Orlando, FL

#821772 Dec 14, 2012
If anyone still doesn't believe Bill Clinton leans more to the right than the left, this interview with O'Reilly will remove all doubt. Parts 1 and 2:



http://www.youtube.com/watch...

It also might open some eyes about O'Reilly's ability to conduct an excellent interview and a lively and respectful debate with a former democrat president.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#821773 Dec 14, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
The Amazing Hypocrisy of the "Right To Work"
In terms of practical economic impacts, I think the right-to-work controversy set off by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder's decision to undertake a lame duck flip-flop is perhaps overstated. If you compare Montgomery County in labor-friendly Maryland to Fairfax County in right-to-work Virginia, your overwhelming impression will be that these are very similar affluent suburbs of the same city. But apples-to-apple comparisons are hard to find and since union rules are highly correlated with other political indicators it's easy to cherry pick points. The conservative parts of America are generally poorer than the liberal parts, but also faster-growing. So if you want to claim that right-to-work laws are immiserating or growth-friendly, you can help yourself to whatever statistics you like.
But what's not murky is the absurd hypocrisy that has to go into making the case for right-to-work legislation.
The way this works is that if there's a labor union at a given business establishment that's bargaining for some higher pay or benefits or better work-rules or whatever it's rapidly going to find that there's a free rider problem. Everyone in the relevant class of workers gets the benefits whether or not they join the union. So something the union is often going to want to bargain for is some kind of rule stating that everyone hired in the relevant class has to join the union, or has to pay dues to the union, or something else along those lines.
Now naturally an employer's not going to want to agree to that. But he's not going to want to agree to higher pay or more vacation days either. That's why it's a negotiation. A right-to-work law is a law banning employers from making that concession.
The impact, obviously, is to make it hard to form strong unions in a given jurisdiction and thus make it a more business-friendly jurisdiction. But note that this same trick works across the board. You could just ban pay raises in general. Any one firm, after all, faces a dilemma. On the one hand it would be more profitable to pay people less. On the other hand, it's also unprofitable to have everyone quit to go work for some other higher-paying company. So a law against pay raises would make everyone more profitable, spurring crazy business investment and job creation. Except nobody does that because it would be (a) insane and (b) obviously unfair. And yet the proponents of right-to-work laws are generally exactly the people most inclined to stand up for freedom of contract under other circumstances.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/12/1...
CHOICE.
If it ever got THAT bad again, do you not have faith enough in the peoples right to assemble, FREELY? Why WASTE $ that should NOT be wasted--ESPECIALLY these days in fiscal cliff times!!
(if you think about it--think of ALL the GOOD such could do, rather than merely WASTED and lobbyied away USELESSLY, shamelessly and sinfully-- when such COULD be applied to MUCH better purposes-like decent healthcare for everyone!!)
Voluntarist

United States

#821774 Dec 14, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The population of the US is 311 million.
2% would be 62,200,000.
There are more federal income tax returns than that that pay taxes.
That doesn't count the joint returns where one retun would be two people.
My God you are one dumb POS.
2% of 311 million is not 62 million pea brain.

you must work for the gubment
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#821775 Dec 14, 2012
Obama 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know how much work librarians and gym teachers do? Are you a librarian or gym teacher? No, your not. You dont know nothing.
I gotta chime in on this one---Galt's was a little off the mark of having a REAL clue with THAT comment lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min wojar 182,114
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min Earthling-1 49,334
For a meat-centric dinner, meet at Skrine Chops (Jan '08) 1 hr Reddog 6
delhi female 4 hr yatharth 1
Fight at Navy Pier 4 hr joey 1
abby 12-26 5 hr Mister Tonka 4
amy 12-26 5 hr Mister Tonka 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
Colts' Complete Week 17 Preview vs. Titans
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Bears vs. Vikings: What Experts Are Saying About Chicago
NBC Sports 6:03 AM
Jim Caldwell: No concerns about starting a rookie center
Bleacher Report 8:46 AM
What Are Experts Saying About Vikings?
NBC Sports11:28 AM
Bears extend Roberto Garza through 2015