Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 37,872)

Showing posts 757,421 - 757,440 of1,071,636
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Is Conservative Media One Big "Racket"?

As Republicans continue to try to make sense of their recent election losses, the finger pointing is becoming more intense.

In recent days, prominent conservatives Bill Kristol and Joe Scarborough have leveled a new allegation: Major players have allowed their pursuit of personal wealth (and ego) to take precedence over larger political goals; that elements of the conservative movement resemble a me-first, moneymaking "racket," where lining ones pockets stands out as the key objective.

The nasty "racket" accusation highlights what's happened as Republicans have handed over more and more of their branding and marketing to media personalities whose ultimate barometers of success (ratings and personal income) differ from those who run political parties (getting candidates elected to office).

In the business of media self-promotion, and particularly the carnival barker variety that powers so much of the conservative movement via Fox News and AM talk radio, it's inevitable that the goals of the "conservative entertainment complex," as writer David Frum dubbed it, would collide with the retail politics of the Republican Party.(Frum has charged the complex with having "fleeced and "exploited" its followers.)

Remember when Glenn Beck charged fans $125 to sit through the taping of his radio show? Or when he charged $500 if they wanted to attend a meet-and-greet before the show? And that was after Beck banked $32 million the previous year. More recently, conservative pundits and outlets have rushed to cash in on election spending by renting their emails lists, while Fox News' Karl Rove lightened wealthy donors' bankrolls by $300 million via his failed political groups.

It's conservatism as an ATM.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/12/11/is-co...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no. Someone else on Greta who pointed out the dangers of republicans simply allowing us to go over the cliff without reaching some kind of agreement with an AWOL president who's still on the campaign trail.
Obama is perfectly happy about the cliff. Which is another reason republicans have to at least try and save the day for all of us and then get blamed for it - as usual.
You really don't have even an inkling about what's going to happen if Obama gets his way, do you? You wouldn't like it. But you also don't seem to care.
Elections Matter: The President Will Get What He Wants

In fact, the president holds all the high cards in this game. If no deal is reached, all taxpayers will face an increase in income tax rates—from the Bush levels of 10 to 15 percent for the lowest earners, and from 35 to an effective level of 43 percent for the highest. Taxes on capital gains will rise from 15 to 20 percent, and on dividends from 15 to as high as 39.6 percent. These increases to be accompanied by an additional Obamacare tax of 3.8 percent on the investment income of high earners.

That’s when the elastic ropes come in. The president immediately introduces a bill to lower tax rates to Bush levels on all but the high earners, and dares the Republicans to vote against it. Result: rates on high earners are up, rates on 98 percent of taxpayers are back where they started from. Campaign promise fulfilled, egalitarian ideology satisfied.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/elections...

Since: May 11

Fayetteville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Fenris the Archangel wrote:
<quoted text>
You really ARE this fckng stupid (amazing). Did you read the link, mental midget? Its an amount above & BEYOND the university's publically approved compensation package that is hidden in other line-item expenditures and given expressly for them to avoid paying their fair share (while they advocate for higher taxes on everyone else).
Stick to what you know, leftist phlegm (ie "nothing").....
So, what was the difference? You forgot to tell us.

Your original post claimed that professors were not paying income tax. Yet income taxes were paid.

Now you want to make it about hiding income from the public?

All income taxes were paid - all of them. Their fair share was paid.

WTF are you b*itching about here. No taxes were avoided at all.

You really aren't too smart.
Nj raider 1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for this adept demonstration of your ignorance and our failed public school system.
Say what ya'll want. You can't learn this in no classroom! If the system fails the family of that young boi, I guarantee justice is sought in the streets. The streets where topix talk is cheap as copper. I never said I would do anything to that man, but I know some hungry young boys that will give him exactly what he deserves &i won't feel sorry in the least bit. Ya'll want to treat this asshole like a victam. He started the confrontation with a boy not a man. That asshole deserves life in prison. Black panthers already put 20, thousand on his head. Like I said,"he better hope they lock his ass up!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

The Journal’s Tax Advice

William Kristol

The Wall Street Journal editors are unhappy about the present correlation of political forces. Who isn't? They're also, I gather, unhappy about "Beltway sages" who, facing the fact that the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of this year, have suggested Republicans accept a modest increase in tax rates for the wealthy while leading the charge to keep taxes from rising for 98 percent of the American people.

It would be great if the Journal editors had a better idea of what Republicans could do. They don't.[....]

If we go over the cliff, there won't be damage to Obama's chances of second-term success. Quite the contrary. What Republicans will have done is to make Democrats the party of tax cuts and Obama a president fighting for economic growth.

As I say, it won't happen. Most Republicans will go along soon after January 1 with what will now be the Democrats' tax cutting agenda. If the House Republicans now follow the Wall Street Journal editors over the cliff, the only effect, I'm afraid, will be to turn a manageable tactical retreat in December into a panicked strategic rout in January.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/journal-s...

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
None are so blind as those who do not want to see.
Put a plastic bag over your head.
Tightly.
8^o

No, no way...

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxiat... ;

....he might enjoy it too much!

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Obama 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>If guns were an effective method of preventing crime then Mcdonalds employees and gas station attendents would carry them. Instead they're prohibited by their employers from carrying them. Proof that they are not effective in preventing crime.
I suspect you are low in amino acids. Do yourself a favor and visit your local health food store.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going to go back to your old lie that the federal government needed some kind of permission to go in to the affected areas. They didn't stupid. Once a federal emergency was declared no permission was needed. Where was Bush when Katrina was bearing down on the area? He was on one of his many vacations at his ranch. Where was President Obama? In Washington keeping tabs on developments and coordinating with the various governors.
Do some research. I did. That's how you get to the truth.

Look up Teaching the Levees. You'll find an extensive timeline
including:

September 2
*President Bush sends 10.5 billion request for emergency relief aid to Congress
*Military convoy arrives in New Orleans
*President Bush meets with Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin on Air Force One
*Blanco decides not to allow president to federalize relief efforts

(Make sure you read that last one again)

September 5 - Nagin criticizes Blanco’s decision not to allow federalized relief effort

September 7
*10,000 people continue to resist orders for complete evacuation
*Governor Blanco criticizes Mayor Nagin for what she considers questionable and ineffective enforcement methods

...Let's not forget Blanco knew the levees could not withstand a hurricane 5 but the state government used that funding elsewhere.

...Or the parking lot full of school buses that weren't used because Nagin didn't plan far enough ahead to use them for evacuating.

The difference is Bush publicly took part of the blame. Blanco and Nagin kept blaming each other and Bush.

Kind of a synopsis and overview of the two parties.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

sonicfilter wrote:
Bill O’Reilly thinks he’s figured out who started the imaginary War on Christmas: gays and women
Comment of the day on YouTube:
Ok, the WAR ON CHRISTMAS is the queers fault? Dude, I’m gay and have 3 Christmas trees. Who the hell do you think is buying all these decorations? My house looks like Rudolph pooped Christmas cheer all over my house. Christmas rocks! Stop blaming the gays for all your problems.
http://freakoutnation.com/2012/12/07/bill-ore...
O'Reilly said no such thing. Stop being so gullible. It's embarrassing.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Elections Matter: The President Will Get What He Wants
In fact, the president holds all the high cards in this game. If no deal is reached, all taxpayers will face an increase in income tax rates—from the Bush levels of 10 to 15 percent for the lowest earners, and from 35 to an effective level of 43 percent for the highest. Taxes on capital gains will rise from 15 to 20 percent, and on dividends from 15 to as high as 39.6 percent. These increases to be accompanied by an additional Obamacare tax of 3.8 percent on the investment income of high earners.
That’s when the elastic ropes come in. The president immediately introduces a bill to lower tax rates to Bush levels on all but the high earners, and dares the Republicans to vote against it. Result: rates on high earners are up, rates on 98 percent of taxpayers are back where they started from. Campaign promise fulfilled, egalitarian ideology satisfied.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/elections...
It will surely hit the fan if Obama and the Democrats eagerly take us over the cliff in having their temper tantrum to get their way.

In fact, that's what they're hoping. You should probably be aware that everyone's taxes are going up on January 1 if no agreement is reached and the only spending cuts are gutting defense spending.

Taxes will go up on EVERYONE. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Fenris the Archangel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what was the difference? You forgot to tell us.
Your original post claimed that professors were not paying income tax. Yet income taxes were paid.
Now you want to make it about hiding income from the public?
All income taxes were paid - all of them. Their fair share was paid.
WTF are you b*itching about here. No taxes were avoided at all.
You really aren't too smart.
STUPID FCK: the UNIVERSITY is paying taxes FOR them with monies above & beyond their compensation package. The Presidents are avoiding paying one thin DIME in taxes (whle advocating higher taxes on everyone else). If you cant see the difference, there is something seriously wrong with you.

Were you involved in an industrial accident, or kicked in the head by a horse?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

AmericanMan wrote:
<quoted text>Americans rejected the Republican's message of hate, fear and greed. That's not who the majority of us want to be like.
Yeah, okay. Stand back and watch what happens. It's crash and burn time!

Fayetteville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
It will surely hit the fan if Obama and the Democrats eagerly take us over the cliff in having their temper tantrum to get their way.
In fact, that's what they're hoping. You should probably be aware that everyone's taxes are going up on January 1 if no agreement is reached and the only spending cuts are gutting defense spending.
Taxes will go up on EVERYONE. Look it up if you don't believe me.
So, if Republicans refuse a rate increase, its the Democrat's fault that no deal is reached.
Jimmy

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

sonicfilter wrote:
Bill O’Reilly thinks he’s figured out who started the imaginary War on Christmas: gays and women
Comment of the day on YouTube:
Ok, the WAR ON CHRISTMAS is the queers fault? Dude, I’m gay and have 3 Christmas trees. Who the hell do you think is buying all these decorations? My house looks like Rudolph pooped Christmas cheer all over my house. Christmas rocks! Stop blaming the gays for all your problems.
http://freakoutnation.com/2012/12/07/bill-ore...
?

I'm glad I don't count on you for anything.

Your ability to perceive reality and fact is lacking. You are the quintessential believe anything Obama voter, for sure.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
O'Reilly said no such thing. Stop being so gullible. It's embarrassing.
Bill O’Reilly Blames Gays For The ‘War On Christmas’

MCGUIRK: The war on Christmas is very, very real, and if you ask me, in addition to some grouchy misanthropic heathen atheists it has to do — at the root of it — with two things — abortion and the gay rights agenda, because Christianity is against those things. It’s subtle but that’s why it’s so pronounced in recent years.

O’REILLY: Hundred percent agree. I absolutely agree 100 percent that the diminishment of Christianity is the target and Christmas is the vehicle because the secularists know the opposition to their agenda (legalized drugs is in that as well) comes primarily from the Judeo-Christian traditionalist people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fayetteville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Fenris the Archangel wrote:
<quoted text>
STUPID FCK: the UNIVERSITY is paying taxes FOR them with monies above & beyond their compensation package. The Presidents are avoiding paying one thin DIME in taxes (whle advocating higher taxes on everyone else). If you cant see the difference, there is something seriously wrong with you.
Were you involved in an industrial accident, or kicked in the head by a horse?
So, if the university gave him a $12,500 bonus. don't they pay $2500 into the Prof's withholding & give him a check for $10K?

Its a simple question.

If the university pays their with holding, it is considered compensation.

The income taxes are paid. The entire amount.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Homer wrote:
12/12/12 tomorrow, hey Flackstredomus is the world going to end or should I wait until 12/21/12?
Just wondering when to open Christmas presents.
I have a big party planned for my birthday on the 30th. Nothing will happen till then. It's a 5 day party ending January 1st.
Jane Says

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>How many meals could be provided by absent fathers? Why aren't you wailing about WHY there are so many who need meals? There's an Inauguration Ceremony every four years - folks lose their jobs, and dead-beat dads abandon their kids, every day.
The First Lady's job is to entertain, and from what I hear she does a creditable turn at the punch bowl. Even if she does occasionally knock over the dessert display, and land in the Champagne Fountain...
:)
absent fathers, an unintended consequence of the Democrat's social meddling that resulted in the destruction of marriage among blacks over the past 50 years.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Nj raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Say what ya'll want. You can't learn this in no classroom! If the system fails the family of that young boi, I guarantee justice is sought in the streets. The streets where topix talk is cheap as copper. I never said I would do anything to that man, but I know some hungry young boys that will give him exactly what he deserves &i won't feel sorry in the least bit. Ya'll want to treat this asshole like a victam. He started the confrontation with a boy not a man. That asshole deserves life in prison. Black panthers already put 20, thousand on his head. Like I said,"he better hope they lock his ass up!
No one will ever know if that young boy was up to no good or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Which is why private citizens cannot take the law into their own hands unless their own lives are clearly threatened.

Since this citizen chose to do otherwise, I agree he should be made an example.
RUSH10ME

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning killer
Prove it , put up or shut up , you are only as anonymous as I let you be , ask your "lawyer" husband if he wants to represent your drunk ass in a slander case , and the commonwealth of Va. will back me .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 757,421 - 757,440 of1,071,636
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min LRS 173,560
Negra Nagin gets 10 years-YEAH 16 min hands on AR 5
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 min SpaceBlues 45,438
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 34 min Hatti_Hollerand 385
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 43 min Toj 97,431
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr george 3,812
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Frijoles 68,123
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••