Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
755,581 - 755,600 of 1,082,903 Comments Last updated 3 min ago
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
You're in favor of abolishing public education to be replaced by virtual schools?
I'm in favor of restoring common sense and discipline in the classroom and teaching students how to learn.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
All kids should be forced into parochial schools! Bring back corporal punishment!
I'd settle for bringing back consequences, consistently following through with them and administrators growing a spine.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
A nation of zombies staring a computers so that Jeb Bush can pocket the education funds!! Send them to Jesus camp too!
All that matters is what approach provides the best education. Public schools are very successful in many communities, but abysmal failures in others regardless of the money spent. It makes no sense to keep throwing money at a failing system.

By the way, many millions of people spend the vast majority of their working day "staring at computers."

Schools that turn out graduates that are not computer literate are failures.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd settle for bringing back consequences, consistently following through with them and administrators growing a spine.
lol! You would have done pretty well a hundred years ago.
Lincoln Duncan

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
SEN. RAND PAUL: I have yet another thought on how we can fix this. Why don't we let the Democrats pass whatever they want? If they are the party of higher taxes, all the Republicans vote present and let the Democrats raise taxes as high as they want to raise them, let Democrats in the Senate raise taxes, let the president sign it and then make them own the tax increase. And when the economy stalls, when the economy sputters, when people lose their jobs, they know which party to blame, the party of high taxes. Let's don't be the party of just almost as high taxes.
LARRY KUDLOW, CNBC: Some people have called that the doomsday scenario. Others have said,'Look, it's a strategic retreat on the Republicans' behalf.' Would you vote present for that in the Senate if that came up?
RAND PAUL: Yes, I don't think we have to in the Senate. In the House, they have to because the Democrats don't have the majority. In the Senate, I'm happy not to filibuster it, and I will announce tonight on your show that I will work with Harry Reid to let him pass his big old tax hike with a simple majority if that's what Harry Reid wants, because then they will become the party of high taxes and they can own it.
Rand Paul is not popular with all factions of the GOP
Lincoln Duncan

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a big mess. That's what it is.
We can thank the liberal spineless mentality and the teachers' unions.
you find all teachers unions, in all cases, everywhere to blame?
Lincoln Duncan

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a big mess. That's what it is.
We can thank the liberal spineless mentality and the teachers' unions.
You teach in Orlando?
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
All that matters is what approach provides the best education. Public schools are very successful in many communities, but abysmal failures in others regardless of the money spent. It makes no sense to keep throwing money at a failing system.
By the way, many millions of people spend the vast majority of their working day "staring at computers."
Schools that turn out graduates that are not computer literate are failures.
There are other aspects to going to school, socialization skills, team work, competitiveness..
When I meet home schooled kids, they are lacking in the above. It's wrong to label all teachers bad because of a few, most teachers I have met are extremely devoted, working long hours, spending their own money for school supplies, truly caring that their students succeed. For many children, school is their solace. To deprive children of this structure would be devastating, especially since most parents cannot stay home to teach them, nor are they capable.
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be completely out of touch with reality, you're basing your opinion on your daughters one semester at an inner city school, that she was able to participate in because of a social program. Obviously she is not cut out to be a teacher, not everyone is and that's fine. Better to know that before getting into it. My daughter is volunteer tutoring teaching English to immigrant children and adults at UF, finds it very rewarding.
Lincoln Duncan

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
There are other aspects to going to school, socialization skills, team work, competitiveness..
When I meet home schooled kids, they are lacking in the above. It's wrong to label all teachers bad because of a few, most teachers I have met are extremely devoted, working long hours, spending their own money for school supplies, truly caring that their students succeed. For many children, school is their solace. To deprive children of this structure would be devastating, especially since most parents cannot stay home to teach them, nor are they capable.
Most experts on education have never been in the classroom, certainly not an urban classroom.
FCAT has ruined education in Florida.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Policy Plate: What the Frack is in our Food?| Environmental ... www.ewg.org/agmag/2012/11/policy-plate-what-t ...

Nov 29, 2012 ... The Nation's cover story (Dec.17) examines the potential for the nation's drilling and fracking operations to contaminate our food. The Nation.
RealClearMarkets - Oil: What the Frack Is In Our Food Supply? www.realclearmarkets.com/2012/12/03/oil_what_ ......

3 days ago ... Oil: What the Frack Is In Our Food Supply? Elizabeth Royte, The Nation. Send to a Friend Read Full Article . TAGGED: Oil, Energy, Fracking,...
Fracking Our Food Supply | The Nation www.thenation.com/article/171504/fracking-our ...

Nov 28, 2012 ... Are dying cattle the canaries in the coal mine? Farmers and ranchers are sounding alarms about the risks to human health of hydraulic ...
Why Ban Fracking?| Food & Water Watch www.foodandwaterwatch.org/water/fracking/

Fracking poses a great threat to our drinking water. How is ... Zack Malitz of Credo Action, Betta Broad of Frack Action, Alex Beauchamp of Food & Water Watch ...

Why Are Cow Tails Falling Off?(Or, Frack Your Food)| Slog slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/11/30 ......

6 days ago ... The Nation, in collaboration with the Food & Environment Reporting Network nonprofit, has ">a chilling story about early-warning signs of how ...
A lot of farmers in my area are leasing their land for ... www.farmaid.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx ......

Fracking and our food. So back to the question at hand: what does hydrofracking mean for farmers and our food system? In short: it ain't good. The opportunity ...
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop pulling it then.
But, no, not a billionaire. But since we're on the subject and we're just chit chatting, I always said that if I came into that kind of money, I'd buy a nice house - not extravagant but nice - two cars, give a lot to family and friends, put a million or two in the bank - mostly for traveling and a comfortable retirement - start an animal rescue and give the rest to charities.
Don't you wish you had the kind of money that Secret Santa has this time of year? I know I do. Everytime I see a mother with children who looks like she's doing the best she can do but could use a little help, I wish do badly I had the means to put a couple hundred dollar bills in her hand and just walk away. Wouldn't that be the most wonderful feeling in the world to do be able to do that all the time?
But giving whatever you can and doing something for others is the next best thing.
I have to stretch it to alleviate pain,loosen nerve and muscles.. It can be pretty painful, that's why I walk and jog everyday, ride my bike, also a stationary bike at home.
You don't have to be a billionaire to help someone. Even handing someone $50 is nice random act of kindness.
The sun sentinel has stories about families in need that you can contribute to if you want to.
Your boyfriend OReilly. Is on Jay Leno right now
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Lincoln Duncan wrote:
<quoted text>
Most experts on education have never been in the classroom, certainly not an urban classroom.
FCAT has ruined education in Florida.
Yes, agree. Hopefully it will be eliminated one day. We need a Democratic governor. Must say that the teachers my children had were amazing, caring and devoted
I don't understand this contempt for public education. Teachers are the most important people in our children's lives, they should be supported and paid more
Lincoln Duncan

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Yes, agree. Hopefully it will be eliminated one day. We need a Democratic governor. Must say that the teachers my children had were amazing, caring and devoted
I don't understand this contempt for public education. Teachers are the most important people in our children's lives, they should be supported and paid more
We need to thank the Tea Party for reelecting President Obama and giving us two senate seats.
Mitt's film was great and he may get an Oscar
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Lincoln Duncan wrote:
<quoted text>
We need to thank the Tea Party for reelecting President Obama and giving us two senate seats.
Mitt's film was great and he may get an Oscar
Yes, and no more Allen West, now have Lois Frankel. Alan Grayson back too!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Lincoln Duncan wrote:
<quoted text>
you find all teachers unions, in all cases, everywhere to blame?
The unions consistently defend poor teachers and oppose any move to require performance standards.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Obamahammed wrote:
<quoted text>
so? large f ing deal. doesn't negate anything i posted.
So!! understand Bush carried on with the same Policies as Clinton.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Your point has merit, but those advantages are useless if the education is substandard. Besides, much of the "socialization" results in bullying and gangs. And "competitiveness" is almost totally absent in public schools, actively discouraged.

The public education system is broken and radical change is required. How about a public system that is focused more on education and less on buildings, lunch programs, football teams, and retirement benefits? Why not a public education system that makes much better use of computers?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
The teachers are not, for the most part, the problem. The problem is the system.

Teachers are amply paid and higher salaries will not improve anything. Instead, weed out the dead wood and hire some young people with new ideas and energy.

More than anything, run the system for the benefit of the students and not for the benefit of the employees.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
One other thing. Drop the concept that every child must attend school. Purge the schools of the troublemakers who have no interest in learning and who just prevent others from learning.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

104 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min Terry rigsby 48,979
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 42 min wojar 175,037
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 44 min Progressive 45,861
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr boundary painter 300
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr boundary painter 4,564
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr boundary painter 4,588
Abby 7-29 1 hr j_m_w 16
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Sublime1 97,573
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••