Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 37,739)

Showing posts 754,761 - 754,780 of1,034,084
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>If he was in the Korean war that would be true__but the US still continues to have a sizable military presence in S Korea.
South Korea has grown to become a real player on the world stage ranking among the top economic powers.
Did you happen to watch 60 Minutes last evening?
No, missed it, I'll watch the repeat. Who was on?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

There are unconfirmed reports that the spokesman of the Syrian Foreign Ministry has defected.

Sources say Jihad Makdissi has left Syria for London, with Reuters news agency quoting an unnamed regional diplomatic source as saying that "he is out of Syria".

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Going over the "fiscal cliff" is the only hope for bringing some sanity to the federal budget. Time to take the bitter medicine.
No matter how it happens, Obama won't be going over the cliff...

According to senior administration officials, Obama is not eager to go over the cliff, but he is willing. If no deal is reached by the end of the month, all the Bush tax cuts—for the rich and not-rich—will evaporate. Obama would then demand in early January that the new Congress immediately pass legislation to reinstate the lower tax rates for the bottom 98 percent. Boehner and the Republicans presumably will find it difficult to say no and insist they will only vote for such tax relief if it includes breaks for the wealthy or cuts in Medicare and other government spending. As a Democratic strategist close to the White House says, "For years we've tried to make the case that the Republicans are willing to hold up tax cuts for 98 percent to help the guys at the top. This is the cleanest shot we've gotten at this."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/j...

but the republicans will be going all the way to the bottom.

They are so screwed.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, he said he was in Korea; that makes him about 80!
Flack? Peppy?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

The Big Budget Mumble

In the ongoing battle of the budget, President Obama has done something very cruel. Declaring that this time he won’t negotiate with himself, he has refused to lay out a proposal reflecting what he thinks Republicans want. Instead, he has demanded that Republicans themselves say, explicitly, what they want. And guess what: They can’t or won’t do it.

No, really. While there has been a lot of bluster from the G.O.P. about how we should reduce the deficit with spending cuts, not tax increases, no leading figures on the Republican side have been able or willing to specify what, exactly, they want to cut.

And there’s a reason for this reticence. The fact is that Republican posturing on the deficit has always been a con game, a play on the innumeracy of voters and reporters. Now Mr. Obama has demanded that the G.O.P. put up or shut up — and the response is an aggrieved mumble.....

The point is that when you put Republicans on the spot and demand specifics about how they’re going to make good on their posturing about spending and deficits, they come up empty. There’s no there there.

And there never was. Republicans claim to be for much smaller government, but as a political matter they have always attacked government spending in the abstract, never coming clean with voters about the reality that big cuts in government spending can happen only if we sharply curtail very popular programs. In fact, less than a month ago the Romney/Ryan campaign was attacking Mr. Obama for, yes, cutting Medicare.

Now Republicans find themselves boxed in. With taxes scheduled to rise on Jan. 1 in the absence of an agreement, they can’t play their usual game of just saying no to tax increases and pretending that they have a deficit reduction plan. And the president, by refusing to help them out by proposing G.O.P.-friendly spending cuts, has deprived them of political cover. If Republicans really want to slash popular programs, they will have to propose those cuts themselves.

So while the fiscal cliff — still a bad name for the looming austerity bomb, but I guess we’re stuck with it — is a bad thing from an economic point of view, it has had at least one salutary political effect. For it has finally laid bare the con that has always been at the core of the G.O.P.’s political strategy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/opinion/kru...
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

There are unconfirmed reports that the spokesman of the Syrian Foreign Ministry has defected.
Sources say Jihad Makdissi has left Syria for London, with Reuters news agency quoting an unnamed regional diplomatic source as saying that "he is out of Syria".
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012...
His first name is Jihad?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Homer wrote:
<quoted text>His first name is Jihad?
that reminds me....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/oct/17/b...
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Where's President Obamas 2008 budget?
It was actually in February 2009, three months after his election in 2008.

He called for $3.6 trillion in spending in 2010 estimating that $2.4 trillion in revenue will be collected.

The question is: Did he estimate correctly?

However, consider this:

Obama exceeds all former presidents in extravagant and very costly White House dinners.

Two years ago, an extravaganza held for Mexican President Felipe Calderon included a performance by Beyonce and cost the taxpayers $969,793.

The dinner for the prime minister of India cost nearly half a million dollars.

Dinners for Chinese President Hu Jintao and British Prime Minister David Cameron were of the same level of extravagance.

I'm sure you would agree this kind of spending seems unfair with so many Americans out of work.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
that reminds me....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/oct/17/b...
Ha! Doh!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Not much going on on this thread since we dodged that huge bullet known as the Romney presidency.

I guess most people are spending these days breathing sighs of relief.
raccoon tour

Luxembourg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

babboon_n_speer wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop smoking dope and maybe...just maybe you'll get outta grade school!!!!!
Then you can marry yourself a mule!
love is blind coon-boy!
Aw, is the poor l'il farm boy tired of his game? And what is it about you people and your mules? Boy you are REALLY dating yourself. Speaking of dating yourself, why don't you just cut to the chase and go fuck yourself too? Or have you forgotten how old man?
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Lincoln Duncan wrote:
<quoted text>
Voters in 2012 had clear choice and rejected your side!
Astonishing, isn't it?

We'll know soon enough who made the right or wrong decision after January 1.

Some of us just don't believe the middle class will be immune from increased taxes. No matter what Obama did or didn't say. He said Obamacare wouldn't cost one thin dime too.
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

Homer wrote:
Not much going on on this thread since we dodged that huge bullet known as the Romney presidency.
I guess most people are spending these days breathing sighs of relief.
Stick around. The fun hasn't even started yet. Beginning January 1, the truth will be made known - to one of us.
raccoon tour

Luxembourg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Hi, carol, baby, ready fo' you daily ride on the wrinkly purple pony?
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

<quoted text>
No, missed it, I'll watch the repeat. Who was on?
It was good featuring a N Korean lifelong prisoner who escaped and is sharing his horror story and also doctors from Health Management Associates which is a must view for anyone interested in how the Affordable Care Act will eventually weed out million$ if not billion$ of dishonest medical practices at hospital and other levels of health care.

I think if you google Health Management Associates 60 Minutes you'll get a preview.
raccoon tour

Luxembourg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

The old man sat in his chair an' glared at the screen. "Goddam, wiseass! I'll kill him! I'll kill him!" His daughter heard him and came into the room and found him gripping the arms of the chair in his birdlike talons. "Calm down, daddy, or we'll have to turn it off."

Her father blinked and looked at her and the anger drained out of his sagging features. He relaxed back down into the seat and the middle-aged woman he despised retreated from the room and pulled the door nearly to. Before she was even out of earshot he began to mumble, "I will kill you! I will kill you!!!"
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Stick around. The fun hasn't even started yet. Beginning January 1, the truth will be made known - to one of us.
Yes it will, you on the other hand will be watching Fox News.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
electroshock? is it free? i could use a little memory loss after a morning session with you quasi-realty wingnuts.
Well no consultation round for you then...because NOTHING in my REAL world has EVER been "free".

Sowwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee lol.
raccoon tour

Luxembourg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for goodness sakes, carol. You wouldn't know the truth if it ran up your ass and sang Yankee Doodle Dandy. Now bend over and spread them cheeks. Daddy needs some brownish sugar.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2012

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how it happens, Obama won't be going over the cliff...
According to senior administration officials, Obama is not eager to go over the cliff, but he is willing. If no deal is reached by the end of the month, all the Bush tax cuts—for the rich and not-rich—will evaporate. Obama would then demand in early January that the new Congress immediately pass legislation to reinstate the lower tax rates for the bottom 98 percent. Boehner and the Republicans presumably will find it difficult to say no and insist they will only vote for such tax relief if it includes breaks for the wealthy or cuts in Medicare and other government spending. As a Democratic strategist close to the White House says, "For years we've tried to make the case that the Republicans are willing to hold up tax cuts for 98 percent to help the guys at the top. This is the cleanest shot we've gotten at this."
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/j...
but the republicans will be going all the way to the bottom.
They are so screwed.
Love it. I say do it and let the American people see who the Republicans really care about. Let them show their true colors.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 754,761 - 754,780 of1,034,084
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]