Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

GOPidiotsx

Chicago, IL

#815992 Dec 3, 2012
wamc wrote:
The 2012 Declaration of Independence
When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to influence their safety and happiness.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to diminish them under absolute repression, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.
Legislative bodies have been called together in places unusual, and uncomfortable, from the collection of their public records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into submission with the governments measures.
They are erecting a multitude of new offices, and groups of officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.
They have combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving assent to their acts of fabricated legislation: For imposing taxes on us without our compliance: For altering fundamentally the systems of our governments:
In every stage of these oppressions we have petitioned for redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated petitions have not been resolved.
We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us.
We have appealed to their forms of justice and high-mindedness, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of liberty. We must, therefore, comply in the necessity, which denounces our separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, enemies in war, in peace friends.
We, therefore, the true representatives of the United States of America, assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the name, and by authority of the good people of these States, solemnly publish and declare, that these United States are, and of right ought to be free and independent States and that as free and independent States, they have full sovereignty to levy war, conclude Peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.
You lost the election (again) because your candidate and your( lack of) ideas suck.
Go ahead and secede.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#815994 Dec 3, 2012
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch out, Lorac's been reading Newsmax again!!
Will the whining little Carol ever face the fact that Obama won and her merry band of nitwits lost??
Elections have consequences. One is that you nitwsits need to STFU after losing the past election bigtime!!
----------
While you're at it, consider this;
President George W. Bush spent over 124 million taxpayer dollars on trips to his ranch in Crawford, TX, and using John Boehner’s logic we demand that the GOP pay us back.
While trying to distract America from the fact that his own caucus passed a budget that would double the interest rate on student loans, Speaker of the House John Boehner is whipping up the faux outrage over the cost of President Obama’s travel this week. Today, Boehner said,“This week, the President traveled across the country on taxpayers’ dime, at a cost of $179,000 an hour, insisting that Congress fix a problem that we were already working on. Frankly, I think this is beneath the dignity of the White House.”
Not surprisingly, John Boehner was totally silent when President George W. Bush was setting the presidential record for most vacation days. Bush was not only on vacation more than any other president. He spent more money on non-official travel than any other president in American history. As president, George W. Bush used Air Force One to fly to his ranch in Crawford, TX for vacation.
Boehner’s comments about the cost of Obama’s travel got us thinking about how much money the Republican Party owes taxpayers for George W. Bush’s non-official vacation travels. Using a method that we have cleverly coined Boehner Math, this is what we came up with.
Number of George W. Bush flights for vacation in Crawford, TX: 77
Cost of running Air Force One:$179,000/hour
Flight time one way from the White House to Crawford: 4.5 hours
Cost of one way flight:$805,500
Roundtrip cost:$1,611,000
Total cost to taxpayers of Bush’s vacation trips to the ranch:$124,047,000
Unlike President Bush who used Air Force One as personal vacation and campaign jet, President Obama’s events were held to discuss the public policy issue of the impending increase in the student loan interest rate. Bush spent over $124 million of our tax dollars flying to Crawford to clear brush, and while he was doing this Republicans like John Boehner never demanded that he pay back the cost of his travel to the taxpayers.
Boehner and the Republican Party just don’t get it. This is a non-issue, and if they really want people to look into the cost of presidential travel, they aren’t going to like the results. They are not going to be able to paint Obama as a presidential globetrotter whose largesse is coming on the taxpayer dime.
Instead of creating a distraction issue, Boehner and the Republican Party attack on President Obama has alerted the American people to the fact that they owe us a whole lot of money. And we would like to be paid.
George W. Bush and the Republican Party owe taxpayers over $124 million, so until Boehner and Bush pay us back, the Speaker needs to keep his hypocrisy infected mouth closed.""
----------
"nutsucker"
One more time your ignorance comes to the front. Bush pissed away a 124 million on travel. Your hero, president nobama, has pissed away more than 6 trillion dollars in just 4 years adding to the national debt. Bush was a piker.
Peace
KMA
Linda

Edison, NJ

#815995 Dec 3, 2012
new yawk wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummmm!
Hi, Linda.
That tongue lashing you gave me last night reminded me of my dog.
No surprise there that you posted an insane, perverted rant because you couldn't sanely comment on what I posted:

There was a time in history when European countries also voted to become ineffective welfare states. The French recently decided to make that permanent and I can't wait to see how well they do with their increased taxes on their wealthy citizens.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#815997 Dec 3, 2012
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Suffering from post election blahs?
Fkn yourself just not doing it for ya?
Maybe I can cheer you up.
No
No
and No.

How a bout You get your own life potty mouth duhmbo-and not stick your nose into others!!
Linda

Edison, NJ

#815998 Dec 3, 2012
Santa Jesus wrote:
Living in your own fantasy world may feel nice and even comforting but math is real and Republican math just doesn't add up. Joe Biden trounced your math genius Paul Ryan, who couldn't be bothered to do the math on his own proposals. Tax cuts don't create revenue, they create deficits, but Republican math isn't designed to add up, it is designed to do the one thing Republicans care about, making rich people richer. David Koch and Rupert Murdoch aren't paying for moderation. The fact is, Republican tax policies create deficits on purpose so Republicans can use those deficits as an excuse to destroy the social programs they have always tried to destroy. Watching Republicans wail about the deficits they created reminds me of that Gilbert Godfried joke about the guy who goes to the bar and then comes home drunk and tells his wife about how some other guy at the bar shit in his pants.
Europe has all those social programs and high taxes. Why is Europe failing?
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#815999 Dec 3, 2012
raccoon tour wrote:
<quoted text>
That's jus' cause you never manage to get you videos back on time.
Ah don't do videos--is someone trying to use my good name AGAIN?
Linda

Edison, NJ

#816001 Dec 3, 2012
Santa Jesus wrote:
Carol I hope you are reading this free therapy session.
Carol, go ahead and go for your "free therapy session." By 2016, the "free" therapy session will have a wait time of about a year and a half.

Santa Jesus and the fourteen relatives living in his one bedroom rental, will be online in front of you.
GOPidiotsx

Chicago, IL

#816003 Dec 3, 2012
Santa Jesus wrote:
Carol I hope you are reading this free therapy session.
Carol is immune to reality based thinking.
Linda

Edison, NJ

#816004 Dec 3, 2012
Santa Jesus wrote:
The GOP, ran from the top down as it has always been, will try to re-brand themselves again. Grover Norquist, corporate pilot fish that he is, has already threatened tea party 2.0 if the fiscal cliff is crossed. I'm sorry, but this is no country for butt-hurt old men. The tea party was not a second wind, it was a last gasp. The Republican party will not change their ideas because their ideology is set in stone. Their ideas having been rejected again in the face of an electorate that is moving away from them, the GOP has only one real choice left.
Get some new ideas or die.
Or the electoral beatings will continue until your myopic ideology improves.
The electorate is moving away from independence and personal responsibility towards dependency on the government.

So what if there are no jobs when you can collect unemployment until your depression symptoms let you collect SSD for the rest of your life. Why vote for anyone who promises you a job?

Spokane, WA

#816005 Dec 3, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
love the right wing talking point inference.
i am that poor sap you azzhole.
want to present a reasoned argument without the backhanded insults? or should we go down the road i went earlier with some wingnut who must have rethought his attempt to insult his own intelligence?
"sonic"
I have to note you prove yourself to be a nothing. O will ask the question once again, why should anyone pay a higher or lower tax rate than you do. You are special? Your money is more important to you than those who pay a higher rate than you do?
No answer expected, you are also a coward.
Peace
Linda

Edison, NJ

#816006 Dec 3, 2012
Santa Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Halle Berry has a cheap shot Frenchmen.
What a profound answer. A couple more like that and you might be next in line for one of those Nobel prizes, dumbed down even more since Obama's "Peace Prize."
Linda

Edison, NJ

#816008 Dec 3, 2012
Santa Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Sour Jane.
Like I said, you have NO answers. Maybe you should run for President in 2016. Start practicing. 143 days of voting "present," and you are there.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#816010 Dec 3, 2012
THE DEBIL wrote:
I, FOR ONE, FEEL NEW HOPE. I AM INSPIRED TO BETTER MYSELF... OH, AN' NO TEXANS, EXCEPT DENNY. I THINK WE CAN ALL AGREE THAT TEXANS ARE BASICALLY ON A SINKING SHIP AND WE SHOULD CUT THEM OFF AND LET THEM DUKE IT OUT WITH MEXICO. THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON SOMETHING OR OTHER, AND DESPITE CLAIMS TO THE CONTRARY, WE ARE UNLIKELY TO GO BACK TO EATING MASTODONS AND LIVING IN CAVES. AND NO MORE GODDAM STRUGGLING!!!! RAISE YOU HANDS IF YOU WANT PIZZA? I KNOW, I KNOW, IT'S FATTENING, BUT THIS IS A SPECIAL NIGHT.
You need to go sit in the corner with duhmbo--in one dem dar speshll "pizza rooms"...

(ugh).
GOPidiotsx

Chicago, IL

#816011 Dec 3, 2012
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>Europe has all those social programs and high taxes. Why is Europe failing?
I've had it up to here with you friggin morons.
We are not like ANY European country. Period.
Stay stupid Jane, and get used to losing elections.

Spokane, WA

#816012 Dec 3, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered your extremely stupid question.
We all pay from the same chart.
Maybe, if you weren't so extremeley uninformed, you would know how that chart works.
"real dumb"
You did not answer afucking thing. I asked you why any one shpuld pay a higher or lower rate than any one else? You took the cowards way out, expected. I did not ask about tax charts, I asked about fairness, all pay the same rate. Not an option in your world, a world where you expect others to pay for you.
Peace
KMA
Linda

Edison, NJ

#816017 Dec 3, 2012
Santa Jesus wrote:
On the whole, the GOP message is still myopic, a dreary world that pines for the good old days when women and brown people held no political power. Good luck selling that message to women and brown people.
How'd that brown power play out in Zimbabwe after successful whites were thrown off of their productive farms? How's that brown power playing out anywhere? How's Haiti doing?

We see it on the local level in Brooklyn with an affirmative action DA whose record is one of abuse of power and multiple mistakes. You see it in any urban school run by brown people with power. Failure all around. Rampant cronyism, failing students, shocking violence on a daily basis.

Spokane, WA

#816020 Dec 3, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Stop it, the guy is a jackass. He's never had a kind word for anyone that disagrees with him. He's a disrepectful person, always changing people's names into something disparaging, Homer has no time for that.
"homo"
You continue to prove yourself to be a coward. I got on your nerves? I just point out facts that you and those of your ilk would like to ignore. Now I will ask you the question. Why should anyone pay a higher or lower tax rate than you do? You are special and deserve a break?
Peace
Kma

Since: Nov 11

United States

#816021 Dec 3, 2012
White House to buy 54 Christmas tree and the rich must pay for it!!!
Linda

Edison, NJ

#816023 Dec 3, 2012
GOPidiotsx wrote:
<quoted text>
I've had it up to here with you friggin morons.
We are not like ANY European country. Period.
Stay stupid Jane, and get used to losing elections.
Stupid is being blind to Obama's agenda of becoming like a European state. Used to losing elections? I look forward to it as I sit back and laugh, and it's already started before the 2nd Coronation. Obama's going to have months of lavish parties while the dopes who voted for him dine with their food stamps. And any day now we are sure to read of Michelle's next fabulous vacation right after The Re-Inauguration of The One.

I'm going to go and read now, while I think you're missing the latest episode of Honey Boo Boo.
GOPidiotsx

Chicago, IL

#816026 Dec 3, 2012
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>The electorate is moving away from independence and personal responsibility towards dependency on the government.
So what if there are no jobs when you can collect unemployment until your depression symptoms let you collect SSD for the rest of your life. Why vote for anyone who promises you a job?
I know that's what FOX (Romney will win in a landslide) News is feeding you as the reason you lost.
Reality check, your Party's ideas suck.
Tea Turds barfing vomit about abortion and contraception and planned parenthood and chopping PBS.
Looney Tunes self deporting and gay bashing.
Nothing to do with dependency, you twit.
Keep swallowing the swill, and keep losing elections.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 min OzRitz 53,063
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Guru 187,890
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Gas Woman 69,825
Word (Dec '08) 5 hr _Zoey_ 5,213
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr _Zoey_ 5,951
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 11 hr boundary painter 1,175
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 12 hr boundary painter 1,650
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]