Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
752,841 - 752,860 of 1,100,505 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#814714 Dec 1, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
If I walk up to you on the street and say to you that I'm gonna shoot you in the head no matter what you, what is your counter-offer?
Obama's "opening bid" was a joke.
lol! Cons are the ones who put this cliff in place son.

Now they want political help to get out of it from Obama.

It's interesting to see them take a subservient position!
GhostofRaygun

Russellville, KY

#814715 Dec 1, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
SO are yew lol
Still, in an otherwise highly polarized political climate, access to affordable energy has become a rare issue with bipartisan appeal.
"It's just a no-brainer," Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., told The Associated Press. "Canada is going to export this oil. It's either going to come to the U.S. or it's going to go to Russia or China. Even Democrats that aren't really excited about oil and gas development generally can figure that out."
Many Democrats from states whose economies depend on oil, like Landrieu, support the pipeline. So do some trade unions, whose workers stand to gain thousands of new construction jobs. And while environmentalists make up an important part of their base, Democratic lawmakers are under intense pressure to create jobs and reduce American reliance on Mideast oil.
Can the Repub talking point of Drill Baby Drill ever die?
Here's where the US is right now.
1. Oil Production at the highest level since 2003.
2. Oil IMPORTS at the LOWEST levels in 20 years.
3. Wait for it,,,, Wait for it,,,, US Oil EXPORTS (oil sent away) is at the HIGHEST level since 1949.
You fricken Repubs have been played by big oil. They are shipping US oil 24/7 to China. So much for Drill Baby Drill to lower gas prices.

Footnote: In Aug. 2012 Exxon filed for a permit to build a NEW faucility in the Gulf to load LPG. You know all that new found natural gas that was suppose to make America energy independent? Exxon is going to ship it to China just like they do our oil. Repubs are suckers.
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/c...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#814716 Dec 1, 2012
Obama economy has killed the Stage Deli.

R.I.P.
carol

Orlando, FL

#814717 Dec 1, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to Obama. He throws taxpayer dollars around like they are his to do with as he pleases. The jerk promised that he wouldn't pass out corporate welfare if we just voted for him and not the other guy. One of the first things he did as president was dole out corporate bail outs to the wealthy. He is a liar who sees himself as sublimely above the law, and not to be held to his "word", i.e., royalty.
His arrogance is unfathomable. Part of his "plan" was not only increasing spending again but avoiding the checks and balances of power giving himself carte blanche over the debt ceiling and avoiding Congress altogether.

Seriously, this is a very dangerous president. Some of us knew that from the very beginning, but the majority just made him feel even more invicibile - if that was even possible.
ZCs

Bronx, NY

#814718 Dec 1, 2012
Some reasons why McCain should shut up, sit down and be grateful he still alowed to work in politics. He is no position to judge anybody.

McCain crashed 5 jets, plus he was responsible for the horrible USS Forrestal fire In 1967.

Surviving crewmen and those who investigated the Forrestal fire case reported that McCain deliberately 'wet-started' his A-4E Skyhawk to shake up the guy in the F-4 Phantom behind his A-4.

'Wet-starts', done either deliberately (the starter motor switch allowed kerosene to pool in the engine and give a wet start) or accidentally, shoot a large flame from the tail of the aircraft. In McCain's case, the 'wet-start''cooked off' and launched the M34 Zuni rocket from the rear F-4 that punctured the Skyhawk's fuel tank, knocked the M-65 1000 lb. bomb off it's 500 lb. rated mount, and touched off the explosions and massive fire.

The F-4 pilot was reportedly killed in the conflagration, along with 167 of his fellow Forrestal shipmates (including those who died later from wounds suffered).

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#814719 Dec 1, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Then find me the declaration of war for iraq you claim exists for the iraqi invasion son! Find me the Congressional records you claim exist that support and show the passage of such a declaration.
We can talk about the dow's you brought up for Korea and Vietnam later.
I'd just like to see you accomplish the small stuff first since you already have problems with facts, chica!
Give it a rest... That horse has been dead for a long while. Yeahoo.. You hold your mouth funny, is that a Demorat thing, or an Asian thing??
Grampy

South Windsor, CT

#814720 Dec 1, 2012
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Go for it. Did you chain Fred and Gunner?
No, they are on their own. Have they been around Topix? How about Grey Ghost, did he die yet? Are y'all still counting votes in Florida?
GhostofRaygun

Russellville, KY

#814721 Dec 1, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
His arrogance is unfathomable. Part of his "plan" was not only increasing spending again but avoiding the checks and balances of power giving himself carte blanche over the debt ceiling and avoiding Congress altogether.
Seriously, this is a very dangerous president. Some of us knew that from the very beginning, but the majority just made him feel even more invicibile - if that was even possible.
Great post other than NONE of it is true.
Barack Obama has lowest spending record of any recent president at 1.4% increase.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...
carol

Orlando, FL

#814723 Dec 1, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Yep! They sure did. Based on the information provided by the bushie.
Heck, even I supported bushie for the first 6 months. Until it became apparent he didn't know what he was talking about and all he had left was to spread fud.
You just fell for the hype.

Remember Pelosi's song and dance about the CIA lying to her? And the press converging on her like a pack of wolves and her near nervous breakdown?

She's lying just as sure as her bizarre gestures, stuttering and jumping around like a scared rabbit proved she was lying.
Grampy

South Windsor, CT

#814725 Dec 1, 2012
USA Debt increases for the three weeks in November following election days:

2009:+38 billion
2010:+73 billion
2011:+62 billion
2012:+103 billion

45 billion more in 2012 than the previous 3 year average? Obama buying the election with our money?

Note: Bush's re-election in 2004 was only 18 billion more than the three previous year's average.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#814726 Dec 1, 2012
Grampy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are on their own. Have they been around Topix? How about Grey Ghost, did he die yet? Are y'all still counting votes in Florida?
Nope, they disappeared after the election, just like you. I thought you moved into Shady Pines. Ghost gone too.
Yes, they're done counting in Florida; Florida now a blue state!
Allen West finally conceded. And I happily have Lois Frankel as the congresswoman in my district. All is well in the world.
Balmy weather in in sunny Florida, it's just perfect.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#814727 Dec 1, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
If I walk up to you on the street and say to you that I'm gonna shoot you in the head no matter what you, what is your counter-offer?
Obama's "opening bid" was a joke.
so funny to watch you wingnuts insinuate that the person who you were so sure the American people would reject in the election, is some sort of arrogant asshole.

arrogance is what lost the election.....

Every person who talks and writes about politics gets stuff wrong. I’ve gotten my fair share wrong. But what I think I got most wrong in Campaign 2012 was the damage Mitt Romney’s “47%” remark would do to him.

It may seem obvious, but bear with me.

Mitt Romney was talking off the cuff to a supposedly off the record group of donors and muddled several data points together, ultimately telling the tale of the 47% who won’t vote for him for any reason. He was referencing the 47% who don’t pay taxes and interwove it with a 47% of locked in Obama support. The statement was a mess.

I didn’t think Mitt Romney would be as hurt by the statement as he was because I assumed Romney had misspoken in an off the cuff way. I assumed Romney would clarify that he knew many of those who have government assistance did not actually want the assistance, but needed it. I assumed he’d make the case that he’d help those people get off the government dole and back into work.

In other words, I assumed Romney believed what I believe — many of those people are good people who fell on hard times and are not of the same class of people who will vote for Barack Obama for free stuff. I was absolutely wrong. Romney not only believes completely what he said as he said it, he reinforced it with his post election analysis of his defeat blaming gifts to various classes of people. If that was true, as Newt Gingrich pointed out, Romney had plenty to gift to plenty strapped to the back of marching elephants.

Note to Mitt Romney: really, it’s you, not them. Seriously.

http://www.redstate.com/2012/11/20/ronald-rea...

and we can tag that arrogance to most of conservatives in this country, and conversely, on this thread. so if you all want to continue with your hypocrisy parade, you can expect us who actually deal with reality to keep shoving right wing pundits who agree down your throats.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#814728 Dec 1, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Give it a rest... That horse has been dead for a long while. Yeahoo.. You hold your mouth funny, is that a Demorat thing, or an Asian thing??
lol! And it's still true today as the day you opened your mouth on it, son.

More importantly, it's a position you continue to perpetuate today!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#814729 Dec 1, 2012
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
I liked this comment from the WSJ:
was too hopeful that the Republican Party would realize it was time to compromise. But they continue to be obstructionists.
If we can’t compromise to get wealthy Americans to pay their fair share, let’s all drive off the cliff together. When we go off the cliff, wealthy Americans will start paying their fair share. Average Americans will have to pay a little more than their fair share; i hope we can handle that for a while. We will get defense cuts, something the Republicans would never agree to. And social security and the Affordable Health Care act will be fine, unrelated issues the Republicans keep bring up. Fear will tumble Wall Street but it will bounce back very soon.
Driving off the cliff might be the best deal we get. Don’t be afraid, don’t blink.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/11/29/clif...
the Obama philosophy
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#814730 Dec 1, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You just fell for the hype.
Remember Pelosi's song and dance about the CIA lying to her? And the press converging on her like a pack of wolves and her near nervous breakdown?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pKBdNZdnRFgXX
She's lying just as sure as her bizarre gestures, stuttering and jumping around like a scared rabbit proved she was lying.
lol! You're the one whose creating the hype son.

Clearly you don't want to talk about the document that gave bushie official military powers.

After all, that would pretty much eliminate your entire argument!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#814731 Dec 1, 2012
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the Obama philosophy
lol! You still here? I thought you were disgusted and disappointed enough to leave my country?

Are you waiting for someone to do something FOR YOU?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#814733 Dec 1, 2012
Erick Erickson: The Republican Party of John Boehner and Mitch McConnell have taken a party that once believed in starving the beast and transforming it into a party that believes in feeding the leviathan lest the leviathan consume them. They operate out of fear — fear of losing their remaining power, fear of blame, and fear of the unknown.

I am absolutely in favor of simplifying the tax code. I am absolutely in favor of getting rid of loopholes. But I am absolutely opposed to engaging in machinations of the tax code designed to increase spending through closed loopholes and the like. Increased revenue should come through simplifying Washington to spur economic growth. Get Washington out of our lives.

While the Republican Party in Washington says that, it sure seems not to be living up to that. Consider this so called fiscal cliff.

The fiscal cliff is actually a bipartisan compromise that congress critters and their friends in the press have now given a spooky name to scare the American people lest Washington have to take the medicine it prescribed itself. The Republicans were complicit in this arrangement.

.....So what the heck does the GOP actually stand for? Right now, they seem to want to be the “responsible” party, but know they’re going to get blamed for whatever happens. They are scared of their own shadow. They are caving, but to what?

I couldn’t tell you. I have no idea what John Boehner and Mitch McConnell’s Republican Party stands for other than the acquisition and maintenance of their own power. They’re Bob Michel without the charm willing to take scraps from the Democrats’ table so long as they can sit on the floor next to it. Their own plans are designed around tactics, not strategy, and tactics designed to avoid as much blame as possible for a mess they were complicit in creating.

I can’t tell you what they stand for anymore.

http://www.redstate.com/2012/11/28/im-not-sur...

the overwhelming theme: "[they] know they’re going to get blamed for whatever happens"
Nj raider 1

United States

#814734 Dec 1, 2012
Grampy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Obama wants unilateral authority to raise the debt ceiling. Who the hell does he think he is, Mohamed Morsi?
Obama in 2006: "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies.… Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
The difference was he ran on bipartisanship & so did the republicans which the republicans did an about face. They went from bipartisan talk to lets make Obama a1 term president & now even after they lost the election & the majority of americans voted for tax hikes on the top 2%, look who is blocking & holding the middle class hostage in opposition! These are common sense things that you know the true answer to, but you choose to shift the blame to try & make Obama look bad. Reality is america has moved past the days of the good ol boys & the party of one side dominance. This aint just an american thing. It's happening all over the world! Plenty of countries are trying their best to get under our skin & not just arab muslim ones. Russia, China,& a slew of others are pushing it to the limits. How long did ya'll think america would be able to tell countries how to run their sovereign nations before they felt it was time to point the finger & tell us it's time for regime change.? None of those countries wanted romney in office. What a coincidence! America feels the same way! Stop blaming Obama for the failed policies of the republicans past!
carol

Orlando, FL

#814735 Dec 1, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
oh lord.
260 vs this.....
Iraq Body Count
http://www.iraqbodycount.org/
got it? you can even go add up all the people Saddam killed and it still makes Bush look like Stalin.
i'm sure glad we don't all live in your closed off bubble.
Your website isn't talking about the body count in mass graves.

Read this:

http://worldnews.about.com/od/iraq/qt/massgra...

Pretty gruesome stories.

Then read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/373836...

"Skeletons of unborn babies and toddlers clutching toys are being unearthed."

Now read this:

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/20/135570128/grave...

"Mass grave holds remains of more than 800 people killed during the rule of Saddam Hussein...it's believed the country has hundreds of mass graves from the Saddam era."

Finally this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/internation...

"Several mass graves in southern Iraq contain the bodies of people killed by Saddam Hussein's government including one estimated to hold 5,000 bodies, Iraqi officials say."

...you do not see the big picture.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#814736 Dec 1, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
all the smart folks of every political persuasion are advocating much the same.
GOP Between A Cliff And A Cave
As I’ve argued here | here | here the fiscal cliff is much more a public relations gimmick designed to cause submissive urination within the GOP than representing any long term risk to the economy. In fact, the CBO says the short term recession that may be triggered by going over this alleged cliff will result in long term growth.
Right now we have the best deal we are going to get: real spending cuts against the tax rates going back to the way they were during the Clinton years.
http://www.redstate.com/2012/11/30/gop-betwee...
Without the fiscal cliff, there will be no spending cuts and the deficit will balloon.

New York wants $42 billion for storm relief, all completely unfunded.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 min TRD 68,379
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 26 min newpoly 1,910
Word (Dec '08) 46 min andet1987 4,656
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 48 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,408
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Rick Moss 68,994
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr edogxxx 97,938
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 2 hr Heisenberg 44
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••