Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 37,505)

Showing posts 750,081 - 750,100 of1,077,941
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, they vote for the anti gay marriage anti abortion candidates, every time. Their sermons are about this every Sunday. They come to vote with their Christian voting guides in hand
You do know many in the Hispanic, Latino and black populations are anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage?

And many of them are democrats?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Republicans hate sex cuz they're no good at it.
Bill Maher
You tried them all, eh, lily?

Liberals were the easiest and most promiscuous, right?

Water, like lily, seeks its own level.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
You won't, call the murderer Rush10 to put an anchor around your neck and cement shoes
lily continues to tell Jesus "we are legion".

And the swine committed suicide by drowning.

Got swamps down there?

“life under BO”

Since: Sep 12

buena vista

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>DiLorenzo is a right wing loon same as your dumbazz.
sure dumbass. suck on this:

|

<quoted text>
Your ignorance is glaring:
States that receive the most welfare money:

15. Oregon
% of pop. on assistance: 1.55%
2007 spending:$83.85 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 58,831

14. Pennsylvania
% of pop. on assistance: 1.60%
2007 spending:$247.29 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 198,666

13. Michigan
% of pop. on assistance: 1.65%
2007 spending:$380.93 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 164,589

12. Rhode Island
% of pop. on assistance: 1.79%
2007 spending:$57.4 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 18,839
Tie-10. Indiana
% of pop. on assistance: 1.83%
2007 spending:$102.27 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 116,430

Tie-10. New Mexico
2007 spending:$58.87 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 36,322

9. Washington
% of pop. on assistance: 1.86%
2007 spending:$265.88 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 121,864
8. Minnesota
% of pop. on assistance: 1.88%
2007 spending:$106.29 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 98,028

7. New York
% of pop. on assistance: 1.92%
2007 spending:$1.47 billion
Total recipients (July 2008): 373,305

6. District of Columbia
% of pop. on assistance: 1.99%
2007 spending:$18.67 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 11,806

5. Vermont
% of pop. on assistance: 2.02%
2007 spending:$30.92 milliion
Total recipients (July 2008): 12,543

4. Massachusetts
% of pop. on assistance: 2.09%
2007 spending:$295.29 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 136,033

3. Tennessee
% of pop. on assistance: 2.15%
2007 spending:$91.28 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 133,505

2. Maine
% of pop. on assistance: 2.37%
2007 spending:$61.73 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 31,148

1. California
% of pop. on assistance: 3.30%
2007 spending:$3.28 billion
Total recipients (July 2008): 1,212,893
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

I don't read any confession to murder.
I read a story, perhaps the facts made public, by a murder committed by an alleged waterman.

Where's the confession?
<quoted text>
This is a confession to MURDER!
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>Back in the eighties , there was a seafood buyer found bobbing in the lower James with drag chain wrapped around him , they charged a local waterman with murder , the state confiscated his boat ,mops and brushes and buckets ect. and said that they could detect blood at a one million to one ratio [a million drops of water to one drop of blood] all charges are dropped for lack of evidence , you have heard the old saying "you can't keep a good man down"well it's the same for a acumbag seafood buyer .
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm beginning to understand your earlier observation that perhaps we, as a country, need to fail before waking up to the dangerous reality rising around us. There can be great inspiration found inside of failure....even if you are surrounded by whining Jackals as you are here, carol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Watched the HBO movie, John Adams, today.

It reminded me of the American spirit and taking a stand against tyranny and tyrants who would threaten our freedom.

It also reminded me of a country divided between loyalty to the mother country even if it meant being subjects to the king over risking everything even if it meant death to remain independent.

We've temporarily lost our way. The majority have chosen to become subjects of another omnipotent and powerful government.

We might have to be humbled and experience pain first. Like that runner.

“life under BO”

buena vista

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>DiLorenzo is a right wing loon same as your dumbazz.
More right wing loons, dumbass?

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/subprime....

San Josť State University
Department of Economics

applet-magic.com
Thayer Watkins
Silicon Valley
& Tornado Alley
USA

The Nature and the Origin
of the Subprime Mortgage Crisis

There has been a long term American policy of promoting home ownership. This entailed making the financing of home purchases as easy as possible. Various financial institutions were set up over time to make the securing of a mortgage quick and convenient. There once were Savings and Loan Associations that were savings institutions which could only invest in home mortgages. Fannie Mae (the Federal Nation Mortgage Association FNMA) was set up in 1938 to provide a secondary market for home mortgages. This meant that if a bank granted a mortgage to someone and later the bank needed funds the bank could readily sell the mortgage to Fannie Mae. However, in order for lending institutions to have access to the secondary mortgage market of Fannie Mae they had to abide by Fannie Mae's rules.

In the past Fannie Mae prohibited the lenders it was dealing with to engage in the practice of red lining. Red Lining meant that a bank would refuse to finance a home purchase in neighborhoods it consider high risk even if the prospective borrowers were themselves good credit risks. In part, this was because the bank did not want, in the event of default and foreclosure, to become the owner of property in a risky neighborhood. The deeper roots of the problem go back to the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977.

In the 1990's under the administration of Franklin Raines, a Clinton Administration appointee, Fannie Mae began to demand that the lending institutions that it dealt with prove that they were not redlining. This meant that the lending institutions would have to fulfill a quota of minority mortgage lending. This in turn meant that the lending agencies would have to lower their standards in terms of such things as down payments and the required incomes. These subprime borrowers would be charged a higher interest rate. Having put the lending agencies into the position of granting subprime mortgages Fannie Mae then had to accept lower standards in the mortgages it purchased. That set the ball rolling. If a bank granted a mortgage to a borrower that was not likely to successfully pay off the mortgage then all the bank had to do was to sell such mortgages to Fannie Mae. The banks typically earned a loan origination fee when the mortgage was granted. The lending agencies could then make substantial profits dealing in subprime mortgages.

Because Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac made a market for subprime mortgages the lenders did not have to worry about of the soundness of the mortgage contract they wrote. Thus the lenders could write the mortgages as adjustable interest rate mortgages knowing full well that an upturn in the interest rates could easily throw the borrower into insolvency. For example, when the interest rate is 6 percent the mortgage payment for a 30-year $200,000 mortgage is $1199 per month. If the interest rate goes up to 7 percent the mortgage payment would increase by $131 per month, an 11 percent increase. For many of the subprime borrowers living on the edge of insolvency this would be enough to push them over the edge. The guilt for the subprime mortgage financial crisis lies both with the lenders who knowingly put borrowers into booby trapped mortgages and the management of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for making a market for such booby trapped mortgages thus giving the lenders the incentive for writing them.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-11-05/r...

“life under BO”

buena vista

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

That in a nutshell is the reason for our crisis, our recession, demorat freebies, giveaways, something for nothing and meddling.

Thanks, rats.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Watched the HBO movie, John Adams, today.
It reminded me of the American spirit and taking a stand against tyranny and tyrants who would threaten our freedom.
It also reminded me of a country divided between loyalty to the mother country even if it meant being subjects to the king over risking everything even if it meant death to remain independent.
We've temporarily lost our way. The majority have chosen to become subjects of another omnipotent and powerful government.
We might have to be humbled and experience pain first. Like that runner.
And we, too, need a good father.

Thinking for yourself is always hard, carol, not because of the difficulty in thinking but in suffering the consequences of doing it in public.

This thread is chock full of Jackals suffering from Group-Think. There is safety in numbers. Just ask any Sheep, Cow or Swine.

The safety vanishes at the moment of slaughter, though.

Hang in there, carol.

“life under BO”

buena vista

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

new yawk wrote:
I don't read any confession to murder.
I read a story, perhaps the facts made public, by a murder committed by an alleged waterman.
Where's the confession?
<quoted text>
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>Back in the eighties , there was a seafood buyer found bobbing in the lower James with drag chain wrapped around him , they charged a local waterman with murder , the state confiscated his boat ,mops and brushes and buckets ect. and said that they could detect blood at a one million to one ratio [a million drops of water to one drop of blood] all charges are dropped for lack of evidence , you have heard the old saying "you can't keep a good man down"well it's the same for a acumbag seafood buyer .
J'Accuse.

lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Food Stamp Use is Highest in Red States: The Truth Republicans Do Not Want You to Know

Food stamps are considered a mode of government spending with a high multiplier effect. In other words, when someone is poor and using food stamps (which are now in debit card form) this often triggers more economic activity than it costs. Republicans should find a target for their ire that is less effective at stimulating the economy.

However, what happens is Republicans take the opposite approach. They believe that giving tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires is the best way to stimulate economic growth. The only problem with that is reality.

Economists say that providing food stamps might be the most stimulative action the government can take. Tax cuts for the wealthy ranks around 12th.

I'm not against tax cuts for the wealthy out of any disdain for the wealthy. I prefer everyone would keep 100% of his or her money, but I'm not sure our system that helps generate the wealth would continue to operate. So, the question is, do Republican approaches work? Who do they work for? Do they work long term?

As far as I can tell, Bush was able to stimulate the economy for a while using Republican approaches, but at the end of his time in office it entirely imploded. Reagan, same thing. I think the economy had another collapse right after he left office. So, what about the food stamp issue? Why are Republicans so concerned about it?

Charts of food stamp usage show that while a few Democrat led states have high food stamp usage; food stamp usage is highest consistently across Republican states. What does that say about the Republican approach?

To me, it says that the top down, trickle down theory of economics fails the poor. Under conditions where the poor were helped, one would expect that there would be less reliance on food stamps. People would receive short-term support, a little assistance getting on their feet, maybe some job training, or some assistance paying for community college and would be on their way.

If the poor are uplifted even just slightly then they become tax payers rather than living off food stamps. Republicans are angry about food stamp usage because they have failed to uplift the poor in their states. The top down, trickle down, economic approach has broken social mobility in Republican led states. Republicans are angry because their failed economic approach leaves them with fewer tax payers and more people on welfare.

Do you remember the spike in food stamp usage that occurred after the Bush administration? Take a look at a map of food stamp usage and comment below. In many Republican states (and a few Democrat led), food stamp usage is as much as 1/5th of the population. What does this say about the success of Republicans policies in helping the poor and middle class improve their lives?

http://www.policymic.com/articles/14007/food-...

“life under BO”

buena vista

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ignorance is glaring:
States that receive the most welfare money:
15. Oregon
% of pop. on assistance: 1.55%
2007 spending:$83.85 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 58,831
14. Pennsylvania
% of pop. on assistance: 1.60%
2007 spending:$247.29 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 198,666
13. Michigan
% of pop. on assistance: 1.65%
2007 spending:$380.93 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 164,589
12. Rhode Island
% of pop. on assistance: 1.79%
2007 spending:$57.4 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 18,839
Tie-10. Indiana
2007 spending:$102.27 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 116,430
Tie-10. New Mexico
2007 spending:$58.87 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 36,322
9. Washington
% of pop. on assistance: 1.86%
2007 spending:$265.88 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 121,864
8. Minnesota
% of pop. on assistance: 1.88%
2007 spending:$106.29 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 98,028
7. New York
% of pop. on assistance: 1.92%
2007 spending:$1.47 billion
Total recipients (July 2008): 373,305
6. District of Columbia
% of pop. on assistance: 1.99%
2007 spending:$18.67 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 11,806
5. Vermont
% of pop. on assistance: 2.02%
2007 spending:$30.92 milliion
Total recipients (July 2008): 12,543
4. Massachusetts
% of pop. on assistance: 2.09%
2007 spending:$295.29 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 136,033
3. Tennessee
% of pop. on assistance: 2.15%
2007 spending:$91.28 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 133,505
2. Maine
% of pop. on assistance: 2.37%
2007 spending:$61.73 million
Total recipients (July 2008): 31,148
1. California
% of pop. on assistance: 3.30%
2007 spending:$3.28 billion
Total recipients (July 2008): 1,212,893

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Just like Marion County, Right?? Ooops dats a Demorat County, ain't it??
carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>And your point is??? The smoking bans began at local government levels and state governments quickly stepped up the bans. The Florida Restaurant Association fought tooth and nail against designated smoking areas but agreed with the smoking bans__figure that out.
Carol__it's the health insurance companies that are behind the anti tobacco laws as well as the policies that require drug screening for new hires and random drug testing. The insurance companies after all are the ones who get stuck with the financial results of reckless habits and activities.
You've been speaking to lung disease and cancer__smoking causes myriad health problems aside from those, heart and artery disease,
skin disorders, the shrinkage of gums which causes dental and then digestive problems. The list of smoking related diseases and disorders is enormous.
I'm curious about why anyone would put up a pro-tobacco argument.
It's a second hand smoke argument. It's overrated to the point of hysteria.

Do you know the adverse effects on the body from drugs and alcohol? And the consequences of both on families and loved ones? Or crime and unnecessary deaths associated with both?

Smoking is harmful. But public hysteria about second hand smoke doesn't change one's choice to smoke and harming their own bodies.
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Apparently yours is the best.

Pretty confident when you posted your cheescake recipe.

The one you were making for Christmas.

The year I was Crowned Queen Of The Flames ... Remember?

You Crowned me Queen Of Spades .. Naturally, I held all The Trump.

Did you know Playing The Queen is the most strategic of all the moves in a Game Of Spades.
IM A SIDE OF ANGUS wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I've never tasted SICILIAN cheese cake, and I bet your kind is the best!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

10 States That Rely The Most On Food Stamps: USDA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/13/10-s...

1. Mississippi

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 20.7 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 8.4 percent
2010 Total State Population: 2,967,297

2. Oregon

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 20.1 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 9.6 percent
2010 Total State Population: 3,831,074

3. Tennessee

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.8 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 17.9 percent
2010 Total State Population: 6.2 million

4. New Mexico

2010 Total State Population: 2,059,179

5. Michigan

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.7 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 11.4 percent
2010 Total State Population: 9,883,640

6. Louisiana

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.2 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 7.5 percent
2010 Total State Population: 4,533,372

7. Kentucky

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.8 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 5.9 percent
2010 Total State Population: 4,339,367

8. West Virginia

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.7 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 2.4 percent
2010 Total State Population: 1,852,994

9. Maine

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.6 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 8 percent
2010 Total State Population: 1,328,361

10. South Carolina

Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.2 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 7.1 percent
2010 Total State Population: 4,625,364

carol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Look this has been enforced in Europe and most advanced countries now for decades. No one can smoke within 15 meters of a doorway to any building. Not even in open air sports arenas, nor any resturant , nightclub or any enclosed area. I think in Australia now if anyone is caught smoking in the car with children its an $250 on the spot fine. Some companies actually deduct money from employees who duck outside the building for so called smoke breaks. So in otherwords if you smoke you are treated like a leper which is how it should be.
But addiction to narcotics and alcohol is met with a lot more tolerance.

Go figure.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Just like Marion County, Right?? Ooops dats a Demorat County, ain't it??
Marion County, Indiana's most populated county, supported the Republican candidates from 1968 to 2000, before backing the Democrats in the 2004 and 2008 elections.

the state's(Indiana) Democrats tend to be somewhat more conservative than their counterparts in the rest of the country, especially on social issues.

Politics of Indiana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Indi...

“life under BO”

buena vista

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
10 States That Rely The Most On Food Stamps: USDA
1. Mississippi
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 20.7 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 8.4 percent
2010 Total State Population: 2,967,297
2. Oregon
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 20.1 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 9.6 percent
2010 Total State Population: 3,831,074
3. Tennessee
2010 Total State Population: 6.2 million
4. New Mexico
2010 Total State Population: 2,059,179
5. Michigan
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.7 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 11.4 percent
2010 Total State Population: 9,883,640
6. Louisiana
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 19.2 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 7.5 percent
2010 Total State Population: 4,533,372
7. Kentucky
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.8 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 5.9 percent
2010 Total State Population: 4,339,367
8. West Virginia
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.7 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 2.4 percent
2010 Total State Population: 1,852,994
9. Maine
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.6 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 8 percent
2010 Total State Population: 1,328,361
10. South Carolina
Percentage of Population on Food Stamps: 18.2 percent
Annual Change in Food Stamps from 2010: 7.1 percent
2010 Total State Population: 4,625,364
Oregon went red, eh, dingus? Maine, too?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 750,081 - 750,100 of1,077,941
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

95 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Snowden plans to work on easy-to-use privacy tools 4 min Ian Paul 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min NegLuvr 174,416
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 7 min voice of peace 67,835
At Least 40 People Were Shot This Weekend in Ch... 9 min NegLuvr 2
last post wins! (Apr '13) 14 min tiger_-_dad 292
The Liberty Brothers Interview: Colonel Kratos,... 15 min I can tell 5
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 18 min tiger_-_dad 451
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••