Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#811249 Nov 25, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
Oregon went red, eh, dingus? Maine, too?
speaking of Maine.

LePage: More Mainers receiving welfare than paying taxes

By Clarke Canfield, The Associated Press

Posted Dec. 17, 2011, at 12:22 p.m.
Last modified Dec. 19, 2011, at 9:35 a.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — There are more Mainers receiving welfare benefits than there are income tax filers paying taxes, Republican Gov. Paul LePage said Saturday.

But Democrats said LePage’s numbers are deceptive and not entirely truthful.

In reiterating his call for the need to cut human services programs to save money, the governor said in his weekly radio address that Maine had 453,000 people receiving welfare benefits in 2010. At the same time, he said, the state had only 445,000 tax filers who paid taxes.

LePage said he doesn’t relish the thought of people being hurt by spending cuts, but said it isn’t fair to cover the $221 million Medicaid funding shortage by raising taxes or asking other state agencies to make up the difference. Rather, the state needs to rein in Medicaid costs and restructure the program, he said.

“There is no joy in taking anything away from anyone,” the governor said in his address.“But there is one question I need to ask: Why should people struggle in this economy to pay their state taxes while the state of Maine operates far outside the national average in welfare costs? It’s a fair question.”

The governor’s definition of welfare is overly broad, House Democratic Office spokeswoman Jodi Quintero said.“They very broadly define it as everything from disability to MaineCare (Medicaid), which isn’t welfare,” she said.

LePage’s tax numbers don’t include joint tax returns, so the actual number of Mainers who paid income taxes is much higher than he says, Quintero said.

While it’s true that 445,000 of the tax filers in 2010 paid taxes, there were 584,000 resident tax returns filed during the year, with the gap representing filers who didn’t pay taxes, Quintero said, citing statistics from Maine Revenue Services. Of the total, more than 246,000 were joint returns, meaning there were more than 700,000 people who filed tax returns, she said.

LePage’s numbers are purposely deceptive to support Republicans’ political agenda, she said.

“Their definition of ‘welfare’ is purposely broad to fit into their spin,” she said.“And the tax is purposely narrow to fit their spin.”

LePage is also unfairly implying that most Mainers don’t pay taxes at all, said Rep. Seth Berry, the ranking Democrat on the Legislature’s taxation committee.

“Every Mainer pays taxes when they go to the store, through the sales tax,” Berry said.“Every Mainer if they own and register a car pays excise taxes. Every Mainer when they drive their car pays fuel taxes to keep the roads up. And every Mainer pays property taxes either directly on their home or indirectly through rent. So all Mainers pay taxes.”

The LePage administration has proposed Medicaid cuts that could leave up to 65,000 people without coverage. LePage says the cuts are necessary to avoid a fiscal crisis due to unsustainable Medicaid costs.

LePage spokeswoman Adrienne Bennett said if Democrats argue that more people paid income taxes than the tax filings indicate, then it’s fair to say that more people received welfare benefits than the numbers suggest. The welfare numbers for the most part represent individuals who receive benefits, she said, but the reality is that many of the benefits go to help recipients’ families as w ell.

“If the Democrats are saying the tax numbers are higher, those welfare numbers need to be higher as well,” she said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/17/news/st...
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

#811250 Nov 25, 2012
Lol ... So, I see. ;)
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
J'Accuse.
lol
Nightchalker

Lansing, MI

#811251 Nov 25, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a second hand smoke argument. It's overrated to the point of hysteria.
Do you know the adverse effects on the body from drugs and alcohol? And the consequences of both on families and loved ones? Or crime and unnecessary deaths associated with both?
Smoking is harmful. But public hysteria about second hand smoke doesn't change one's choice to smoke and harming their own bodies.
You are correct.

The LEADING cause of death is BIRTH!

THATS why demonrats are so pro abortion, they are just trying to end needless suffering, caused by listening to demonrats!

That whole "circle of life" thingy!

“life under BO”

Since: Sep 12

buena vista

#811252 Nov 25, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>speaking of Maine.
LePage: More Mainers receiving welfare than paying taxes
By Clarke Canfield, The Associated Press
Posted Dec. 17, 2011, at 12:22 p.m.
Last modified Dec. 19, 2011, at 9:35 a.m.
PORTLAND, Maine — There are more Mainers receiving welfare benefits than there are income tax filers paying taxes, Republican Gov. Paul LePage said Saturday.
But Democrats said LePage’s numbers are deceptive and not entirely truthful.
In reiterating his call for the need to cut human services programs to save money, the governor said in his weekly radio address that Maine had 453,000 people receiving welfare benefits in 2010. At the same time, he said, the state had only 445,000 tax filers who paid taxes.
LePage said he doesn’t relish the thought of people being hurt by spending cuts, but said it isn’t fair to cover the $221 million Medicaid funding shortage by raising taxes or asking other state agencies to make up the difference. Rather, the state needs to rein in Medicaid costs and restructure the program, he said.
“There is no joy in taking anything away from anyone,” the governor said in his address.“But there is one question I need to ask: Why should people struggle in this economy to pay their state taxes while the state of Maine operates far outside the national average in welfare costs? It’s a fair question.”
The governor’s definition of welfare is overly broad, House Democratic Office spokeswoman Jodi Quintero said.“They very broadly define it as everything from disability to MaineCare (Medicaid), which isn’t welfare,” she said.
LePage’s tax numbers don’t include joint tax returns, so the actual number of Mainers who paid income taxes is much higher than he says, Quintero said.
While it’s true that 445,000 of the tax filers in 2010 paid taxes, there were 584,000 resident tax returns filed during the year, with the gap representing filers who didn’t pay taxes, Quintero said, citing statistics from Maine Revenue Services. Of the total, more than 246,000 were joint returns, meaning there were more than 700,000 people who filed tax returns, she said.
LePage’s numbers are purposely deceptive to support Republicans’ political agenda, she said.
“Their definition of ‘welfare’ is purposely broad to fit into their spin,” she said.“And the tax is purposely narrow to fit their spin.”
LePage is also unfairly implying that most Mainers don’t pay taxes at all, said Rep. Seth Berry, the ranking Democrat on the Legislature’s taxation committee.
“Every Mainer pays taxes when they go to the store, through the sales tax,” Berry said.“Every Mainer if they own and register a car pays excise taxes. Every Mainer when they drive their car pays fuel taxes to keep the roads up. And every Mainer pays property taxes either directly on their home or indirectly through rent. So all Mainers pay taxes.”
The LePage administration has proposed Medicaid cuts that could leave up to 65,000 people without coverage. LePage says the cuts are necessary to avoid a fiscal crisis due to unsustainable Medicaid costs.
LePage spokeswoman Adrienne Bennett said if Democrats argue that more people paid income taxes than the tax filings indicate, then it’s fair to say that more people received welfare benefits than the numbers suggest. The welfare numbers for the most part represent individuals who receive benefits, she said, but the reality is that many of the benefits go to help recipients’ families as w ell.
“If the Democrats are saying the tax numbers are higher, those welfare numbers need to be higher as well,” she said.
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/17/news/st...
Every one in Maine should be lined up next to a big trench and machine gunned. Or we could just give their worthless ASSES TO CANADA.:}

“life under BO”

buena vista

#811253 Nov 25, 2012
Nightchalker wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct.
The LEADING cause of death is BIRTH!
THATS why demonrats are so pro abortion, they are just trying to end needless suffering, caused by listening to demonrats!
That whole "circle of life" thingy!
"he not busy being born is busy dying" The amazing R. Zimmerman.

“life under BO”

buena vista

#811254 Nov 25, 2012
new yawk wrote:
Lol ... So, I see. ;)
<quoted text>
Ah, a well read man, so rare among the usual misfits, troglodytes, dunderheaded libs, welfare mooching dems and blowhard trolls on here.:}

“life under BO”

buena vista

#811255 Nov 25, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
But addiction to narcotics and alcohol is met with a lot more tolerance.
Go figure.
Not many more pleasurable things on this planet than a hot cup of coffee, the Sunday paper and a good cigarette.

Location hidden

#811256 Nov 25, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
Every one in Maine should be lined up next to a big trench and machine gunned. Or we could just give their worthless ASSES TO CANADA.:}
Michigan too, especially Southeast Michigan(Detroit)area I cant stand being around any of them.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#811257 Nov 25, 2012
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Marion County, Indiana's most populated county, supported the Republican candidates from 1968 to 2000, before backing the Democrats in the 2004 and 2008 elections.
the state's(Indiana) Democrats tend to be somewhat more conservative than their counterparts in the rest of the country, especially on social issues.
Politics of Indiana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Indi...
Love your icon Indy, a lot of symbolism there. Elephant going over the cliff. lol
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

#811258 Nov 25, 2012
Gotta tell 'ya: BRAVO! WELL DONE!

"Ya Mudda" is right up there with Abbott and Costello's:
"Who's On First" and the many versions of "Niagara Falls".

It's A Classic!

The simplistic brilliance of mirroring what is based in the truth in that one Hilariously Funny phrase.
I couldn't stop laughing every time I read that phrase.
LMAO now! ;)

Especially these 3 posts:

Nightchalker wrote:
ok, here we go...

Ya mudda LOVES it!!!

No cogent points ,no logical arguments, just busy defending his mudda!

Dats a "dem" for ya!

Nightchalker wrote:
Not everybody is as stoopid as you!

I would not go within 100 miles of a fukkin "tea party" wtf-ever THAT is!

I disagree with you on many things.

You showcase your lack of knowlege like a badge of honor!

My "ya mudda" posts were mirror images of what YOU post!

PURE DRIVEL!

I do not know (nor do I care) WHO, you are!

Because I know (as do we all) WHAT, you are!

Juss quoting ya mudda!

Nightchalker wrote:
WA,WAAA Got you to actually go in and post AS ME?

Desperation is sooooo cute!

Weak, upon weakness, THATS what YOU got!!

AND a horny mudda!

LOL
Nightchalker wrote:
<quoted text>

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#811259 Nov 25, 2012
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Love your icon Indy, a lot of symbolism there. Elephant going over the cliff. lol
Love your icon OzRitz, a lot of symbolism there. Hidden Location with a generic nobody silhouette. lol

“wake up”

Since: Jan 10

utica ny

#811260 Nov 25, 2012
The lib mind= support the terrorist muslim temple claiming freedom of religion and now atacking a school for a field trip to see A Charlie Brown christmas play because it has christain content.

These subhuman libs are like a cancer that needs to be eradicated .

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#811261 Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Just like Marion County, Right?? Ooops dats a Demorat County, ain't it??
States relax guidelines for qualification and soon the 'poor' aren't the only users of food stamps. States then count all users as an indicator of how many poor they have. It's a circular equation. As numbers rise, federal dollars roll in, financing new recipients. Oregon had a 'merit' program that would reward counties for the most new users. Prizes were awarded to the most innovative and productive counties. On paper, Oregon was getting poorer and poorer but receiving more and more federal dollars.
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

#811263 Nov 25, 2012
Thank You.

Your quote made me think of one of the many themes in
Shakespeare's "Hamlet" ... Birth - Death Theme:

As soon as we are born we begin to die.

So either get busy living or get busy dying.

Vivète la vita pienamènte!
Live life to the fullest!

Ciao Bay~Bee ...! ;)
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, a well read man, so rare among the usual misfits, troglodytes, dunderheaded libs, welfare mooching dems and blowhard trolls on here.:}
"he who is not busy being born is busy dying"
The amazing R. Zimmerman.
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#811264 Nov 25, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
But addiction to narcotics and alcohol is met with a lot more tolerance.
Go figure.
No they're not. No one gets arrested for smoking cigarettes. You're going off your rocker on this one.
Ask any convenience store owner what his number one sales consist of.

Location hidden

#811265 Nov 25, 2012
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
States relax guidelines for qualification and soon the 'poor' aren't the only users of food stamps. States then count all users as an indicator of how many poor they have. It's a circular equation. As numbers rise, federal dollars roll in, financing new recipients. Oregon had a 'merit' program that would reward counties for the most new users. Prizes were awarded to the most innovative and productive counties. On paper, Oregon was getting poorer and poorer but receiving more and more federal dollars.
since you said that, I read that somewhere about Oregon and other states on how they were doing it so that way the Federal Government would allocate & distribute more Federal Dollars for Oregon and other states.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#811267 Nov 25, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
Every new death, every maiming, every serviceman sent home from Afghanistan without a limb is Obama's fault, we are wasting lives and treasure there. WTF is Code Pink? Where are the front page headlines by the LSM reporting every death? Nowhere to be found now that Bush is not president, Obama gets a pass from the dishonest scumbags in the LSM. Obama's drones kill innocents, including women and children.
I believe we've helped the world enough, we need help now.
So when bushie did it, it was good thing?

Because no one could count that high?
Carter

Pompano Beach, FL

#811268 Nov 25, 2012
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
No they're not. No one gets arrested for smoking cigarettes. You're going off your rocker on this one.
Ask any convenience store owner what his number one sales consist of.
If it's a Boca convenience store, his number one sales would consist of booze, with your name on each and every bottle.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#811269 Nov 25, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
And now you're going to get partisan about sex?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA.....
Marilyn screwed everything. JFK and his brother Bobby took turns with her. She had every director, athlete and Bellhop from LA to Bangor, Maine inside her and you're going to somehow make her into a Liberal Saint Marilyn?
Heck, you'd be better off using her for Sleeping Pill promos:}
lol! I guess she screwed you, eh son?

“life under BO”

buena vista

#811270 Nov 25, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Love your icon OzRitz, a lot of symbolism there. Hidden Location with a generic nobody silhouette. lol
He's a cowardly Australian who believes he's married to a kangaroo. Or two.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Rogue Scholar 05 179,293
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 min David 98,501
Abby 10-22 21 min Sublime1 4
Emanuel set to outline re-election agenda in fi... 43 min Walt Kowalski 3
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 59 min Eric 70,030
Abby 10-20 1 hr Ralph 20
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr grave digger 47,489
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]