Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#810963 Nov 25, 2012
Alarming new study on effects of second-hand smoke
Advertisement

Research says over 42,000 Americans die each year

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1871307769001/alar...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#810964 Nov 25, 2012
A new government study reports that while fewer kids and teens are getting exposed to secondhand smoke while riding in the car, rates of exposure are still high enough to warrant concern.

The authors recommend that more parts of the country ban smoking in cars carrying kids—laws that are on the books in four states.

Researchers said parents and other drivers may not realize that even when the windows are down, smoking in a vehicle can create toxic levels of circulating smoke.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/06/many...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#810965 Nov 25, 2012
Smoking ban linked to drop in preterm births, small babies

The health of pregnant women and babies improved after smoking in public places was banned in Scotland, a new study says.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/07/smok...
carol

Orlando, FL

#810966 Nov 25, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Second-hand smoke at 5 major airports puts flyers at risk, CDC says
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/11/21/seco...
Car fumes in cities aren't healthy either. Are you going to ban cars?

If second hand smoke was the culprit government agencies suddenly profess them to be, everyone over 50 would have lung cancer.

Smoking was once allowed everywhere - even inside of an airplane and inside a movie theater.

If you can show me a scientific study (not a government agency claim) confirming a significant number of people over the age of 50 now have lung problems or lung cancer from exposure to second hand smoke, I'll recant my assertion that government is just trying to dictate our behavior.

But you won't find one. It doesn't exist.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#810967 Nov 25, 2012
Secondhand smoke tied to more health effects

People regularly exposed to secondhand smoke may have increased risks of dying from various causes, a long-term study from China suggests.

Researchers found that compared with adults who lived and worked in smoke-free environs, those exposed to secondhand smoke were more likely to die of heart disease or lung cancer over 17 years.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/15/seco...
carol

Orlando, FL

#810968 Nov 25, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Fewer Heart Attacks Seen After Smoking Bans
Some groundbreaking research out of the Mayo Clinic shows that when cities and counties ban smoking in public buildings, the rate of heart attacks in the area drops dramatically.
Researchers mined the data from tens of thousands of medical records from every hospital and medical clinic in Olmsted County, and the findings are eye-opening.
In the 18 months before the county banned smoking in restaurants in 2002, there were 212 heart attacks per 100,000 residents. In 2007, the comprehensive smoking ban was put in place, and heart attacks dropped to 102 per 100,000 residents in the 18 months after the ban began. That marks a 45 percent decline.
"We were quite surprised," said Dr. Richard Hurt. "We thought we'd see a reduction, but until now, the highest reported reduction in heart attacks was 47 percent but most were around 17 percent or so."
Furthermore, when the smoking bans began, the number of sudden deaths from heart attacks dropped from 152 per 100,000 to 76, which is a 50 percent drop.
Hurt said the research forms one of the most definitive links yet between second-hand smoke and heart disease.
Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2011/...
Was the data showing the decline in heart attacks from 212 to 102 per 100,000 residents due to smoking bans among smokers only? What percentage of that decline were people merely exposed to second hand smoke?

Because no one is arguing smoking isn't harmful.
MR BRINK

Atmore, AL

#810969 Nov 25, 2012
carol wrote:
I'd rather stand outside by a smoker any day than sit anywhere in the city of San Francisco. Butt germs are much nastier than a faint smell of smoke.
KNOW THIS, CAROL: SAN FRANCISCO PREFERS YOU WOULD AS WELL.

KNOW THIS TOO, CAROL: AS A PERSISTENT SPREADER OF FILTH, AND A VECTOR FOR DISEASED THOUGHT, YOU ABSENCE FROM THIS THREAD WILL SERVE AS CONFIRMATION OF YOUR ACTUAL DEATH, OR SOMETHING THAT IS CLOSE ENOUGH.

(YOU CAN FEEL THE BEGINNING OF MY EMBRACE RIGHT NOW, CAN'T YOU CAROL (THAT'S RHETORICAL). AS A SMOKER WITH DIABETES, COPD AND HIGH CHOLESTEROL, YOU'RE NOT EVEN PEEKING AT ME FROM BEHIND YOUR FAN ANYMORE; YOU'RE IN FULL-BLOWN COURTSHIP MODE. I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO CHASE YOU DOWN TO MOUNT YOU ...

/jc
carol

Orlando, FL

#810970 Nov 25, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Secondhand smoke tied to more health effects
People regularly exposed to secondhand smoke may have increased risks of dying from various causes, a long-term study from China suggests.
Researchers found that compared with adults who lived and worked in smoke-free environs, those exposed to secondhand smoke were more likely to die of heart disease or lung cancer over 17 years.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/15/seco...
I'm done with this topic after posting this.

Show me a scientific study (not a government agency claim) confirming a significant number of people over the age of 50 who now have lung problems or lung cancer from exposure to second hand smoke, and I'll recant my assertion that government is just trying to dictate our behavior.

Second hand smoke was once everywhere. No one seemed to mind until a government agency told them they should. Shouldn't there be more conclusive evidence that lung cancer is prevelant in those 50 and older?

"Dictate to people how they should behave."

You either don't mind being told what to do or you do. Even many nonsmokers do.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#810971 Nov 25, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
The health of pregnant women and babies improved after smoking in public places was banned in Scotland, a new study says.
That's a no brainer'

lol
carol

Orlando, FL

#810972 Nov 25, 2012
MR BRINK wrote:
<quoted text>
KNOW THIS TOO, CAROL: AS A PERSISTENT SPREADER OF FILTH, AND A VECTOR FOR DISEASED THOUGHT, YOU ABSENCE FROM THIS THREAD WILL SERVE AS CONFIRMATION OF YOUR ACTUAL DEATH, OR SOMETHING THAT IS CLOSE ENOUGH.
(YOU CAN FEEL THE BEGINNING OF MY EMBRACE RIGHT NOW, CAN'T YOU CAROL (THAT'S RHETORICAL). AS A SMOKER WITH DIABETES, COPD AND HIGH CHOLESTEROL, YOU'RE NOT EVEN PEEKING AT ME FROM BEHIND YOUR FAN ANYMORE; YOU'RE IN FULL-BLOWN COURTSHIP MODE. I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO CHASE YOU DOWN TO MOUNT YOU ...
/jc
Hi Debil.

Bye Debil.
carol

Orlando, FL

#810973 Nov 25, 2012
This is what is most worrisome. Americans are starting to act like sheep and submit to whatever is being dictated without even so much a protest.

There was a time when Americans would have gone out and bought large-sized drinks en mass in New York just because they were told not to.

But not a peep out of the sheep.
carol

Orlando, FL

#810974 Nov 25, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Smoking while pregnant or around small children is not what we're talking about.

But think about this. How many parents are addicted to drugs and alcohol and their children are abused and neglected because of it?

How many parents feed their children a constant diet of junk food?

No one ever talks about the consequences of drugs and alcohol and people only frown on parents who feed their children junk food. Just smoking has been hyped up to the point of hysteria.

Doesn't that make you stop and think? Even a little bit? What's worse? Drug and alcohol related child neglect and junk food related child obesity? Or smoking?
carol

Orlando, FL

#810975 Nov 25, 2012
MR BRINK wrote:
<quoted text>
/jc
You'd be the one running around naked and sitting on public benches without wiping your butt.

No brainer.
carol

Orlando, FL

#810976 Nov 25, 2012
I'm much more annoyed by people who get in a car and drive home after being in a bar all night thinking they won't get caught or have an accident than someone smoking in a bar.

Maybe I need to get a group of people together who think like me and ban drinking in bars.

Because, you see, once you allow one behavior to be dictated by others, it's only a matter of time before other behaviors are deemed dangerous to others.
MR BRINK

Atmore, AL

#810977 Nov 25, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Debil.
Bye Debil.
RUN, CAROL, RUN. BUT DON'T WASTE YOUR FAT FATUOUSNESS FLIRTATIONS ON ME; I'M IMMUNE, OF COURSE. BUT I'M ALSO INDISCRIMINATE AS HELL. I'M GOING TO TAKE YOU CAROL. IF YOU COME TO ME WILLINGLY, IT WILL BE EASIER, BUT NOT REALLY EASY. IF YOU FIGHT, I WILL TAKE YOU HORRIBLY, IN A WAY THAT WILL RENDER YOU A BAWLING, SHAMEFUL OLD INFANT FOR MONTHS ON END, INCONTINENT AND TERROR FILLED. I WILL SHOW YOU A HELL WORSE THAN THE ONE REPRESENTED BY YOUR CLUTTERED LITTLE CONDO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FETID SINKHOLE CALLED FLORIDA, WITH THE DYING OAF YOU ARE IRREVOCABLY YOKED TO.

MY ONLY DECISION IS WHICH OF YOU TO HARVEST FIRST ... HAVE A CIGGY, CAROL ...YOU NEVER KNOW WHICH ONE WILL BE YOUR LAST ...

/jc
MR BRINK

Atmore, AL

#810978 Nov 25, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>

No brainer.
WE KNOW, CAROL, WE KNOW ... WEREN'T YOU LEAVING CAROL. YOU REALLY NEED TO BE TRUER TO YOUR WORD. SHOW SOME DIGNITY.

/jc
Lily Boca Raton Fl

Boca Raton, FL

#810979 Nov 25, 2012
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>Not gonna happen , unless you want war right here in our streets and countryside .
Murderer
carol

Orlando, FL

#810980 Nov 25, 2012
Now, to change the subject.

Moderates are leaving Congress at a time when moderates are most needed to find common ground solutions.

In the Senate, moderate Scott Brown, R-Mass. lost to Democrat Elizabeth Warren who will be one of the most liberal members. Another GOP moderate, Richard Lugar of Indiana, fell in the primary election. Two others, Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas and Olympia Snowe of Maine, are retiring.

Moderate Democratic senators such as Kent Conrad of North Dakota, Herb Kohl of Wisconsin, Ben Nelson of Nebraska, James Webb of Virginia, are leaving, as is Democratic-leaning independent Joe Lieberman.

Only about half the incoming 12 Senate freshmen of both parties are moderates.

In the House, 10 of the 24 Democratic Blue Dogs lost, are retiring or moving to the Senate. That will further slash a centrist group that just a few years ago had more than 50 members.

"Congress seems to be going in the opposite direction of the country, just as the country is screaming for solutions to gridlock," said Democratic strategist Phil Singer.

http://news.msn.com/politics/new-congress-few...

We're screaming for solutions all right. But a house divided cannot stand.

It should get interesting.
MR BRINK

Atmore, AL

#810981 Nov 25, 2012
carol wrote:
I'm much more annoyed by people who get in a car and drive home after being in a bar all night thinking they won't get caught or have an accident than someone smoking in a bar.
Maybe I need to get a group of people together who think like me and ban drinking in bars.
Because, you see, once you allow one behavior to be dictated by others, it's only a matter of time before other behaviors are deemed dangerous to others.
THAT'S FUNNY CAROL -- YOU'VE NO IDEA HOW FUNNY. I THINK I'M GOING TO MAKE A UNILATERAL DECISION TO BAN CRAZY OLD C***S LIKE YOU FROM TYPING FILTH IN PUBLIC CHAT ROOMS. I WON'T NEED TO GATHER A GROUP TOGETHER (ALTHOUGH ME AND DEBIL HAVE A LOOOOOON HISTORY OF WORKING TOGETHER). I'LL JUST PICK YOU OFF, ONE BY ONE. IT'S THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS CAROL. STOP THIS THRASHING ABOUT, OR I'LL TWIST YOUR FAT LEGS IN BACK OF YOUR HEAD AND RAM A CARTON UP THERE SO FAR, THAT WHEN YOUR DAUGHTER FINALLY FINDS YOU, AFTER DAYS OF GETTING NO ANSWER ON THE PHONE, SHE'LL FAINT DEAD AWAY ...

/jc
carol

Orlando, FL

#810982 Nov 25, 2012
MR BRINK wrote:
<quoted text>
WE KNOW, CAROL, WE KNOW ... WEREN'T YOU LEAVING CAROL. YOU REALLY NEED TO BE TRUER TO YOUR WORD. SHOW SOME DIGNITY.
/jc
No, just wasn't going to talk about that topic any longer. But I did. Sue me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 17 min mahz 49,824
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 25 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,471
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 178,035
James Foley Beheading: What They’re Not Telling... 1 hr BadDream 2
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 69,378
Protests Continue After Chicago Police Shoot 3r... 4 hr joey 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr Whiny1 4,710
Amy 9-16 6 hr Zap Brannigan 55
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 12 hr Toj 98,226
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters