Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
745,281 - 745,300 of 1,101,688 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
carol

Orlando, FL

#805800 Nov 16, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need to answer it. No point. It's the 'law of the land'. With no recourse for republicans other than to bitch about that that they can't change.
Maybe you should 'educate'(for the 50th time?) with something more topical? Like the steps needed to be taken so the GOP can win another national election. It's all the rage on the right wing sites. Go educate yourself.
So you're saying that just because it's a strictly "partisan" law of the land, the rising costs with more government paper pushers and higher taxes with a rise in unemployment because of businesses not hiring and firing since 50 employees is now the magic number isn't important?

How odd.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#805802 Nov 16, 2012
Romney Gets the Last Gaffe

Conservatives have constructed a myth that says certain groups—blacks, Hispanics, women, young people—vote Democratic because they’re stupid, because they’re lazy, and because they can be purchased with trinkets and baubles. It’d be one thing if they kept that myth a secret, but instead they shout it from the rooftops. Then, when it’s over, they wonder why those people voted Democratic again.

Romney was never the worst offender on this score; he never delighted in it, as people like Matt Drudge and Rush Limbaugh do. But he certainly participated. Indeed, part of his problem throughout this campaign, and the one before it, is that he’s never been good at disguising his lack of respect for the American electorate. His changing positions, his evasions about them, his misrepresentations—they all, ultimately, came off as a challenge: I think you’re too stupid not to fall for this. And there are very few people who appreciate being told they’re dumb, or the person who said it.

There are, of course, other, larger problems for the Republican Party to grapple with over the next few years. But they’ll have trouble solving many of them if they can’t get past this and realize that Democrats don’t have to bribe voters—not when their opponents are so interested in insulting them.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdes...
Imhotep

United States

#805804 Nov 16, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who don't play the game aren't allowed to criticize those who do. It's a rule...somewhere.
The country voted against the GOP because for several reasons. We didn't have the right messenger who played it safe instead of painting a clear and dangerous picture of another four years, who passed up a golden opportunity in the last debate to ask the president point black about what he knew about Benghazi, and the media perpetrated the invisible war on women digging up two obscure republicans who put their foot in their mouths.
However if the election had been held right before Hurricane Sandy, the outcome might have been very different.
Obama makes a mistake if he thinks he won because of his policies. He won because Romney dropped the ball, because Romney is a Mormon and because his smear campaign worked. He also won because of a well-organized and methodical plan to get his base to the voting booths.
The country is still very much divided...more so now...and Obama will wish he hadn't won a second term if he succeeds in implementing his policies and continue to ignore and dismiss half of the country again another four years.
Learn to:
ADAPT
IMPROVISE
OVERCOME

Until this occurs, I remain indifferent.

a) A constitutional amendment that fixes our broken electoral system by 1) completely removing campaign contributions from the political process; 2) requiring all elections to be publicly financed; 3) moving election day to the weekend to increase voter turnout; 4) making all Americans registered voters at the moment of their birth; 5) banning computerized voting and requiring that all elections take place on paper ballots.

b) A constitutional amendment declaring that corporations are not people and do not have the constitutional rights of citizens. This amendment should also state that the interests of the general public and society must always come before the interests of corporations.

c) A constitutional amendment that will act as a "second bill of rights" as proposed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt: that every American has a human right to employment, to health care, to a free and full education, to breathe clean air, drink clean water and eat safe food, and to be cared for with dignity and respect in their old age.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#805805 Nov 16, 2012
NUN ON THE RUN wrote:
<quoted text>
For some anonymous useless eater in a chatroom whose avatar states "I'll never tell," you sure run on like a busted faucet, you drippy minge.
Thank you for finding me so utterly fascinating, that you feel obligated to reply to my every post, dear. It almost looks as if you have a little crush on me.

Alas, for you, it goes unrequited.

:)
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#805807 Nov 16, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying that just because it's a strictly "partisan" law of the land, the rising costs with more government paper pushers and higher taxes with a rise in unemployment because of businesses not hiring and firing since 50 employees is now the magic number isn't important?
How odd.
How odd that the Heritage BS you posted is mostly conjecture.

So this is for all of you nutjobs...take your leap of faith 'facts' and stick them where the sun don't shine. You'd think after getting spanked in the last 2 elections by some 'black guy' you would have figured out that the right wing misinformation made no impression beyond the 3% who watch FOX.

Since: May 11

Loysville, PA

#805808 Nov 16, 2012
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn to:
ADAPT
IMPROVISE
OVERCOME
a) A constitutional amendment that fixes our broken electoral system by 1) completely removing campaign contributions from the political process; 2) requiring all elections to be publicly financed; 3) moving election day to the weekend to increase voter turnout; 4) making all Americans registered voters at the moment of their birth; 5) banning computerized voting and requiring that all elections take place on paper ballots.
b) A constitutional amendment declaring that corporations are not people and do not have the constitutional rights of citizens. This amendment should also state that the interests of the general public and society must always come before the interests of corporations.
c) A constitutional amendment that will act as a "second bill of rights" as proposed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt: that every American has a human right to employment, to health care, to a free and full education, to breathe clean air, drink clean water and eat safe food, and to be cared for with dignity and respect in their old age.
3 good points.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#805809 Nov 16, 2012
The sore losers club

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are already starting to channel the last guy who lost to Obama

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/15/the_sore_lose...

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#805812 Nov 16, 2012
Impeach Obama wrote:
<quoted text>I go just to check out the hotties.
&fe ature=fvwp
carol

Orlando, FL

#805813 Nov 16, 2012
As to the Israeli/Hamas build up of tensions and rocket fire and now Israeli ground troops:

"U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said in an interview with Voice of America: "I understand the reasons Israel is doing what they're doing. They've been the target of missiles coming in from Gaza..."

He added, "Our hope is that in striking back that they can minimize the civilian deaths that are likely to occur."

Hamas, which evolved from an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood, has ruled Gaza since winning elections in 2007.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/16...

We can only speculate when and how this will end.

Loysville, PA

#805814 Nov 16, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
How odd.
Strictly partisan, like the Bush tax cuts, are OK as long as Carol likes them.

The only companies that would be affected by this 50 employee limit are those not offering health insurance.

These companies have their employees fend for themselves in your favored system where as individuals they will not be able to afford it.

Carol, you know well, that if you had to buy health insurance as a family it would cost you over $2,000 a month with your health situation. And you complain about a law that would tremendously reduce that if you were thrown into that situation.

Loysville, PA

#805816 Nov 16, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
When serious health care reform's time finally arrived and both parties knew it had to be addressed once and for all, the long-awaited golden opportunity was blown by partisan politics and radical solutions.
Lowering the cost of health care is what you liberals never want to address. That is and always has been the real problem.
So instead of lowering costs, our taxes are now going to go up, businesses are going to pass on the added expenses to their customers, health care is going to go down the toilet and what was once a big mess and could have been reformed without any cost and with do-able solutions that would have lowered costs, we're pretty much screwed and lawyers are licking their litigation chops as we speak.
Republicans had plenty of opportunities between their blocking of Hillary-care to the enactment of Obamacare.

So please, cut the crap.

Republicans had no interest in resolving healthcare issues.

But you idiots run screaming through the streets blaming Democrats yet if Republicans had addressed these things when they held the White House, then healthcare would be reformed in the Republican way & be the law of the land.

So instead of blaming Democrats, you sorry-assed, whining, lying right wingers need to blame your own party.

We got Obamacare because you morons did not enact healthcare when you held Congress & the White House.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#805817 Nov 16, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Postelection panic among conservatives about the Latino vote has reached the point of absurdity — and mostly reveals the naïveté of detached political grandees who know little about the ideology and motivations of those they are now supposed to adroitly woo.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/333244...
Post election chit chat:

http://www.alternet.org/files/postelection.jp...

Loysville, PA

#805818 Nov 16, 2012
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
You liberals would consider the cost of ANYTHING, as long as you don't have to pay it.
Funny from the party the voted for UNFUNDED tax cuts, UNFUNDED expansions in Medicare & UNFUNDED wars, and record UNFUNDED earmarks.
carol

Orlando, FL

#805820 Nov 16, 2012
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn to:
ADAPT
IMPROVISE
OVERCOME
The process of elections has become problem-ridden. On both sides. It's a mess, I agree.

Both sides like to talk about the mess but won't fix the mess because apparently both sides like the mess as long as one side likes it as much as the other side.

What are we supposed to do? Not vote?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#805821 Nov 16, 2012
We the People: Your Voice in Our Government
Create a Petition
Open Petitions
Responses
How & Why

Help make We the People even better. Share your feedback on how this new platform can improve.
Share Your Feedback

Create an Account

we petition the obama administration to:
Put an end to the destruction of unborn babies through Abortions.

women are now having abortions because they do not like the sex of the fetus. If they had to pay for those abortions we will see how quickly the abortions would diminish.

The government is wasting millions of dollars, to permit women to act as prostitutes, and have no fear of becoming pregnant, for they can get an abortion. This act not only destroys the unborn child, but also destroys the woman that has them. Their minds, and morals will suffer because of an act sanctioned by the US Government.
Created: Nov 13, 2012
Issues: Human Rights
Learn about Petition Thresholds
Signatures needed by December 13, 2012 to reach goal of 25,000
Total signatures on this petition
Sign this Petition
A whitehouse.gov account is required to sign Petitions.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#805824 Nov 16, 2012
GOP Governors Scramble to Comply With Obamacare

As states near a critical decision regarding Obamacare by Friday, many GOP governors once opposed to the healthcare law are gradually accepting House Speaker John Boehner’s declaration that Obamacare is now “the law of the land.”

“The election is over and President Obama won,” one of Obamacare’s strongest opponents, Florida Gov. Rick Scott, said earlier this week in dropping his opposition to the law.

“I’m responsible for the families of Florida,” Scott said, whose state has nearly 4 million uninsured people.“If I can get to ‘yes,’ I want to get to ‘yes.’”

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obamacare-go...
carol

Orlando, FL

#805827 Nov 16, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans had plenty of opportunities between their blocking of Hillary-care to the enactment of Obamacare.
So please, cut the crap.
Republicans had no interest in resolving healthcare issues.
But you idiots run screaming through the streets blaming Democrats yet if Republicans had addressed these things when they held the White House, then healthcare would be reformed in the Republican way & be the law of the land.
So instead of blaming Democrats, you sorry-assed, whining, lying right wingers need to blame your own party.
We got Obamacare because you morons did not enact healthcare when you held Congress & the White House.
Just as many democrats ditched Hillarycare as republicans.

So you cut the crap.

We kind of got sidetracked with 3000 Americans killed in the most unimagineable way on 9/11/2001.

Please tell me when democrats ever took up the cause of health care again after Hillarycare was put in file 13 - by both parties? Democrats had control of Congress during part of the Bush years too. Why didn't they come up with another plan?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#805828 Nov 16, 2012
and it only gets better....

Christie Says He Disagrees With Romney’s ‘Gifts’ Comment: Can’t Be ‘Divisive’ Leader

"You have to talk about themes, policies that unite people and play to their aspirations and their goals and their hopes for their family and their neighbors. And I always think this is scapegoating after elections. When you lose, you lost. Someone asked me, why did Mitt Romney lose? That's why."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/c...

FOX/Rush are going to be working overtime to explain why so many conservatives don't agree with FOX/Rush.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#805831 Nov 16, 2012
Hostess is history! Another fine American business killed by a union. You libtards are destroying this country. The workers wanted to go back to work but the bigwigs threaten them with fines if they crossed the picket line. So now 18,500 people are out of work. Sure most will be rehired by the new companies but how long will that take? Friggin' unions are ruining this country.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#805833 Nov 16, 2012
even more....

Gov. Martinez Says Romney Remark ‘Sets Us Back’

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/g...

and the day is young.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 min JonahI 49,515
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 min Mister Tonka 97,982
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 56 min LRS 177,531
CHICAGO: 5-Dead, 42-Wounded In the 2014 Labor D... 1 hr YOUNG BLACK KILLERS 1
Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs (Jun '09) 2 hr OPERATION BID RIG 109,598
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr litesong 46,382
Abby 9-2 3 hr Pippa 11
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info