Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#790965 Nov 1, 2012
cway wrote:
<quoted text>
We are saying the same thing in different words.
To make a church the official state religion is preferential treatment, is it not?
The separation clause is generally interpreted as an injunction against any sort of preferential treatment, not just what you cite.
For example, giving federal subsidies to a few, but not the rest.
You can give preferential treatment to a religion without making it the official state religion. Here let me show you,

RUSSIA, 1824:

"In the name of the Most Holy and Indivisible Trinity. The President of the United States of America and His Majesty the Emperor of all the Russias..."

RUSSIA, 1832:

"In the name of the Most Holy and indivisible Trinity.The United States of America, and His Majesty the Emperor of all the Russias..."

BRAZIL, 1828, 1849:

"In the name of the Most Holy and Indivisible Trinity.The United States of America and His Majesty the Emperor of Brazil... "

PORTUGAL, 1840:

"In the Name of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity.The United States of America and Her Most Faithful Majesty the Queen of Portugal..."

COSTA RICA, 1851:

"In the name of the Most Holy Trinity."

PARAGUAY, 1859:

"In the name of the Most Holy Trinity. The Governments of the two Republics, the United States of America and of Paraguay..

. U.S. Senate Document No. 357. 61st Congress, 2nd Session, Treaties, Conventions, International Acts, Protocols and Agreements between the United States and other Powers. 1776-1909, compiled by William M. Malloy, January 18, 1909. Vol. 1-2.
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#790966 Nov 1, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really??
'By 1867, the church in the Capitol had become the largest church in Washington, and the largest Protestant church in America."
James Hutson, Chief of the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress, Religion and the Founding of the American Republic 91 (Washington, D. C.: Library of Congress 1998).
"The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I as chief Magistrate of this nation am bound to give it the sanction of my example. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Washington Parish, Washington City" by Reverend Ethan Allen
Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress
Research by Emily C. Howie, Reference Librarian, Main Reading Room, Library of Congress
the founding fathers clearly intended the United States to be a Christian nation, but did not want to give preference to any particular denomination....
OBAMIES ZOMBIES

Los Angeles, CA

#790967 Nov 1, 2012
cway wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, for one, FEMA is on the job.
Unlike New Orleans in 2005.
And second, Obama spent time with Governor Christie reviewing the damage to NJ.
Yeah...show off for Obama Zombies ..
All that money that they spent on Air force 1, Secret Service and the traffic, he could send that money to the people of NJ. Shut up...

Don't always bring Bush, he is gone...

What about real video on Benghazi and not that YouTube crap ...

They pushed really hard that fake video, it was poring fuel on fire just to protect their sorry azz's.

They were pushing that YouTube video, hoping someone is going to buy their sh!t...see...
Didn't work...

Ask your president ...we all like to see real video from 9/11 Benghazi ...
cway

United States

#790968 Nov 1, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you are full of crap.
In the 2004 fiscal year, Planned Parenthood reported that it referred nearly 1,500 clients to independent adoption agencies since they don't do adoptions.
In 2005 Catholic Charities completed 42,852 adoptions.
//////////
There are over 1500 crisis pregnancy centers in the U.S, a figure roughly double the number of abortuaries. An estimated 30,000 women are living in the homes of pro-lifers. In addition to individual households, there are many homes for unwed mothers run by pro-lifers. The operation of pro-life centers and homes is made possible by caring and compassionate volunteers. Commonly, pregnant women are taught child rearing as well as vocational skills.
http://www.all.org/article.php...
You're citing the tiny exception to the rule, not the mainstream reality.

There are over 1,000,000 abortions performed each year, and we're not including mothers who have children they don't want.

42,852 adoptions is a drop in the bucket.

Nice try, Mr. GOP Fuzzy Math.
cway

United States

#790969 Nov 1, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
49 million on food stamps..
Way to go,Barack Bottom.
I see.

Still blaming Obama for the Bush recession.

Seems someone (you) forgot we were losing 500,000 jobs per month when Bush left town.

But of course, that has nothing to do with more people being on food stamps, does it?

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#790970 Nov 1, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
the mission of Planned Parenthood, as set forth by founder Margaret Sanger, is essential to the survival of America.....
aside from that, one can be "pro-choice", but still believe that abortion, even though legal, is completely immoral and should be reserved for the most extreme situations.....not just for personal convenience....
guess you can't see that.....
What I see is that you've assumed you have the prerogative to define 'convenient' and 'immoral' for someone other than yourself.

Arrogant hubris.

Would you let anyone decide for you whether or not to donate an organ? What religious tenets you will follow? How many children you have?

Thought not.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#790971 Nov 1, 2012
Alloramadai wrote:
<quoted text>
CIA and Associated Press, no less. Golly, Faux News was wrong....again? Spin your way out of this one, Republican supporters.
Everyone except these ringer bozos have been saying this for weeks yet Fox won't let it go, so notice how the fox drones on here keep posting what they are seeing. It was the same when Hannity broke the Weiner story, he just so happen to have the girl Weiner chatted with in the studio hours after it broke. Like most of it's other political stories, it was creating them rather than reporting. The Bengazi thing is exactly the same, probably on a tip from Karl Rove.
Tournefort

Richmond, IN

#790973 Nov 1, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>"FACT: Republicans and Willard too stupid to understand risks of going public too quickly with supposedly irrefutable intelligence.
"In keeping quiet about the nature of the Libyan attack, was President Obama motivated in part by a desire to protect his counter-terrorism record? Perhaps. But either way, he made a decision that was arguably in the best interest of America.
Unfortunately, thanks to the GoPís relentless efforts to politicize the matter, Ansar al-Sharia is now a household name." Cretins, each and every one.
http://www.globalpost.com/
"Ansar al-Sharia is now a household name"

Sort of like "Innocence of Muslims" becoming a household name in Pakistan after Obama and Clinton ran their TV ads condemning the video on Pakistani TV?

"too stupid to understand risks of going public too quickly with supposedly irrefutable intelligence."

Yeah, perhaps Obama and Clinton shouldn't have come out with that "spontaneous demonstration" against a despicable-nasty-horrid-putrid -disgusting-anti-Muslim video story so fast.

Perhaps Obama should have followed the advice he gave Gov. Romney when he said "As president, one of the things I've learned ... it's important for you to make sure that the statements that you make are backed up by the facts."
cway

United States

#790974 Nov 1, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
whether or not that is the case...is irrelevant to the immorality of abortion....
But my point was to show how hypocritical your side is on the matter.

Abortion is ugly, but so is bringing unwanted children into the world who can't be properly supported.
cway

United States

#790975 Nov 1, 2012
Sister Mary wrote:
<quoted text>were you born in a manger,when you say government assistance where are they getting it from the 53%ers not from you noooooooooo you want sleep in tents not take showers and shit on cop cars .We do give a little back to you, by supplying medical assisistance after you get your head bashed in by the cops for a cause no one to this day can figure out .Amen
Sister Mary... from the Holy Church of the Gestapo.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#790976 Nov 1, 2012
Sister Mary wrote:
<quoted text>were you born in a manger,when you say government assistance where are they getting it from the 53%ers not from you noooooooooo you want sleep in tents not take showers and shit on cop cars .We do give a little back to you, by supplying medical assisistance after you get your head bashed in by the cops for a cause no one to this day can figure out .Amen
And you want folks whom you perceive to have this mentality to breed?

Please, for the love of...well...whatever you choose to label your divinity....
make some sense.
redwhiteblue01

Grand Rapids, MI

#790977 Nov 1, 2012
fact check this
The house republican introduced bills
99 bills on religion
71 bill on family relationships
36 bills on marriage
67 bills on firearms/gun control
522 bills on taxation
455 bills on government investigation
0 bills on job creation.
GOP.Gov www.gop.gov
senate stalled job bills
18 bills Please read them and you know where the jobs are.Apparently our jobs are in deregulated.WOW
cway

United States

#790978 Nov 1, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
still did not answer the question....
FEMA is "on the job", getting paid, but still no food, no water, no electricity, no gasoline.....
And you've allowed them a whole... what?... 24 hours.

And people say Republicans set unrealistic standards in judging others.
Lord Fetch

Harvey, IL

#790980 Nov 1, 2012
redwhiteblue01 wrote:
fact check this
The house republican introduced bills
99 bills on religion
71 bill on family relationships
36 bills on marriage
67 bills on firearms/gun control
522 bills on taxation
455 bills on government investigation
0 bills on job creation.
GOP.Gov www.gop.gov
senate stalled job bills
18 bills Please read them and you know where the jobs are.Apparently our jobs are in deregulated.WOW
can't argue with that...however the tards will anyway, they're tards
cway

United States

#790981 Nov 1, 2012
Obama Zombies?

LOL

Let me show you a real zombie.

In 2004, it would be the voter who had no trouble with:

*Bush and Cheney's WMD lies.

*The Outing of CIA manager Valerie Plame.

*The widespread use of military torture against innocent people.

*Bush blowing it on 9-11 after Tenet warned of an impending attack, including a reference indicating air hijackings.

And the GOP Zombie response?

OOOooooh... show me the lever marked "R"... slobber, drool... must vote Republican... Fox News said so... OOOooooh.
OBAMIES ZOMBIES

Los Angeles, CA

#790984 Nov 1, 2012
Tournefort wrote:
<quoted text>
"Ansar al-Sharia is now a household name"
Sort of like "Innocence of Muslims" becoming a household name in Pakistan after Obama and Clinton ran their TV ads condemning the video on Pakistani TV?
"too stupid to understand risks of going public too quickly with supposedly irrefutable intelligence."
Yeah, perhaps Obama and Clinton shouldn't have come out with that "spontaneous demonstration" against a despicable-nasty-horrid-putrid -disgusting-anti-Muslim video story so fast.
Perhaps Obama should have followed the advice he gave Gov. Romney when he said "As president, one of the things I've learned ... it's important for you to make sure that the statements that you make are backed up by the facts."
Obama and Clinton wanted people to "buy" their crap of YouTube video, because they screwed up big time in Benghazi ...

WHAT ABOUT REAL VIDEO...BENGHAZI 9/11...?????
Lord Fetch

Harvey, IL

#790985 Nov 1, 2012
cway wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
Still blaming Obama for the Bush recession.
Seems someone (you) forgot we were losing 500,000 jobs per month when Bush left town.
But of course, that has nothing to do with more people being on food stamps, does it?
please do not rile the tards up...now we'll never get them to sleep
new yawk

Tonawanda, NY

#790988 Nov 1, 2012
-Why not? You did. And look at how f**ked up your mentality is!

*I wish you would have instead of making a baby!

LOL!
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>
-And you want folks whom you perceive to have this mentality to breed?
*make some sense.
cway

United States

#790989 Nov 1, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really??
'By 1867, the church in the Capitol had become the largest church in Washington, and the largest Protestant church in America."
James Hutson, Chief of the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress, Religion and the Founding of the American Republic 91 (Washington, D. C.: Library of Congress 1998).
"The Christian religion is the best religion that has been given to man and I as chief Magistrate of this nation am bound to give it the sanction of my example. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Washington Parish, Washington City" by Reverend Ethan Allen
Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress
Research by Emily C. Howie, Reference Librarian, Main Reading Room, Library of Congress
In your numbing blindness, you miss the point I make, which is none of the presidents and congressmen of the past considered using the legislative power of congress or that of the executive to give preferential treatment to Christianity.

That was strongly upheld tradition until Bush, under the influence of the Christian right, signed a law which gave certain churches federal subsidies. Those connected with the GOP getting the lion's share.

The Faith-Based Charities Act, or something akin to that title.
martin

United States

#790991 Nov 1, 2012
bigbamboom wrote:
<quoted text>
Ann Coulter comes to mind. Are you going to deny it and cement your burgeoning reputation as a leftist troll?
Yes, we know Ann Coulter and that big Adam's apple on her throat is always on your mind.

That aside, what the hell are you talking about, Mr. Burgeoning Fascist Troll?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rauner, Quinn clash on Obamacare expansion ahea... 8 min Le Jimbo 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min Earthling-1 47,074
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Rogue Scholar 05 178,618
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 45 min Mandela 68,566
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 50,064
Minimum Wage and Unemployment Model 6 hr Goh 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 6 hr Top of the Heap 4,054
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr Mister Tonka 98,373
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]