Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1642584 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#780050 Oct 22, 2012
Alloramadai wrote:
<quoted text>
That's hilarious! Loud farting noises...... Can't imagine it was caused by not enough hot air
Did you ever see this? It's hilarious, click on Hot Air Balloon:

http://www.fart-sounds.net/fart_sound_board.h...

My cat is looking at me like I'm crazy!!
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#780051 Oct 22, 2012
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read her second sentence? "We need a moderate now"!!!
Everyday a new Mitt, every day a new Carol. No wonder she likes him.
The far rightwingnut Carol now says "We need a moderate"
Thanks for the chuckle Carol!!!
Did someone say they need a moderate like Realtime now?

If I knew as little about foreign policy as Romney, I would spend my time this evening talking about China and trying in other ways to tie foreign policy to the economy.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#780052 Oct 22, 2012
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding here?
Watch the video of the attack again. Read the description of the coordinated elements of the attack, to include the main assault, diversionary fire, prevention of support from reaching the battle zone, and the coordination of all these elements.
The more the Democrats promote the ludicrous notion that this wasn't a preplanned attack by a well trained unit specifically trained for this particular attack in the exact facility, the more idiotic the Obama clown act appears.
Watch the video, idiot.
We even know where Al Qaeda trained for the attack.
Why hasn't Obama bombed the smithereens out of that facility in eastern Libya?
What is Obama waiting for?
You can stick with your right wing talking points until you're blue in the face but that narrative is at this moment being blown out of the water.

If only the right wing media take was accepted by the majority.....but it's not, as we can see from all of those who have something to say that's much different than what FOX is hypothesizing.
Jonathan Hemlock

New York, NY

#780053 Oct 22, 2012
AP warns:“Get ready, presidential swing states. Now the campaign ad crush — and TV spending spree — really begins.”

This is occurring even as the economy and unemployment remain major issues. Millions of Americans are broke and hurting as poverty grows, but there seems to be no shortage of money to grease politics.

It’s being called a “deluge,” leading many Americans, according to USA Today, to wish the election was already over.

The political pros call it “the air war”—ironically, a military metaphor—as the media sells message points the way they sell soft drinks while political personalities and their speechwriters provide buzz words and superficial slogans to define their differences.

It’s not clear if the American people and their media know or care how this wasteful, degrading and hypocritical exercise looks to people around the world: to Europeans battling austerity, Iranians surviving a vicious sanctions regime, Palestinians denied a country, Africans in many countries sinking deeper into deprivation and others coping with war and despair.

No wonder American “democracy” is losing respect in the eyes of many, including citizens inside these Disunited States, many of whom who are trying, but so far failing, to get big money out of politics.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#780054 Oct 22, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>She is moving along with Romney, who knows tomorrow she may be a liberal. She is basically anybody but Obama.
NOONAN: I don't -- I think Mitt Romney sometimes has a tendency to talk a little bit aggressively on China, on trade, on Russia, as our number one competitor or enemy or something. There's a certain aggression sometimes that creeps into what he says that I don't know where it's coming from.

Peggy Noonan on Face the Nation

“wake up”

Since: Jan 10

utica ny

#780055 Oct 22, 2012
FIRE THE GOP wrote:
<quoted text>
You are finally calling it a consulate?
For three weeks you dumb dumbs called it the embassy!
4 years of constant crying on here from right wingers?
YOU GET FOUR MORE!
ELECT THE GENIUS!
PRESIDENT OBAMA.
bin laden say what?
A crab just ate your azzzzzzhole?
A sea snake scarfed up your eyes?
Can't make a weekly video like with Bushy?
OBAMA! MADE THE WHOLE WORLD SAFER!
your helmet is loose again.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#780056 Oct 22, 2012
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever see this? It's hilarious, click on Hot Air Balloon:
http://www.fart-sounds.net/fart_sound_board.h...
My cat is looking at me like I'm crazy!!
My brothers would have loved this; Mom would have grounded us all!

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#780057 Oct 22, 2012
DBWriter wrote:
Al Qaeda sacks 4 embassies and flies their flag over US territories, and kills a US ambassador in a 6-hour battle.
Can I hear Obama say "Al Qaeda is on the ropes" again, just for ole time's sake?
Revisionist history in the making here.

Al Qaeda organized all the rioting?

I get it, This comes from a dipstick who thinks if you are a Muslim, you in Al Qaeda.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#780058 Oct 22, 2012
Mile wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many examples of him apologising and appeasing, however I'll just use the most recent one to prove the point. The ads put out in Pakistan to apologise for a comical video, was not only unpresidented but displayed the weakness of this admins foreign policy.
If only Bush had been a little 'weaker', then maybe he wouldn't be an international joke.

How anyone who evidently voted for Bush can go after Obama's foreign policy speaks to the denial that the right wing has had to take in their quest for rewriting the history of the failure they voted for.

Obama's screwing up the rewrite, and that's why you guys are so POed about the 'apology tour'.
Gunner

Middletown, CT

#780059 Oct 22, 2012
Hey Mitt, Some Ammo For Tonight

Across the crescent of states stretching from North Africa through Central Asia, America’s friends are fewer, its influence smaller, its strategic position weakened.

America has lost its reliable ally in Egypt, the most populous Arab nation, now ruled by the Muslim Brotherhood.

It has lost the respect of people in Syria, who in rebellion against a dictator see American support as toothless and empty.

Iran, America’s most implacable enemy in the world, squashed a popular uprising without fearing American action — and now moves into the void we left behind in Iraq.

http://forward.com/articles/162901/obama-shou...
Jonathan Hemlock

New York, NY

#780060 Oct 22, 2012
Because the discourse is so uninspired, the political parties are pushing voters to vote against their adversaries, not for anything better. Candidates used to say,‘vote for me;’ Now they say,‘vote against him!’Our politics has been turned into a covert operation. Many of the donations to these ad budgets are secret, reports National Public Radio:In an election where creating jobs is big issue, few of the paid pundits on the networks comment on how politics has become a business, creating lots of jobs, albeit temporary ones. Many of the underlings hope that if their guy wins, they will get a cushy government job. Idealism has nothing to do with their participation.

David Sirota explains on the website Salon that “The breathtaking speed of this political transformation (towards mega-money in politics) reflects the larger one-percent-ization of our economy.…. the rich got so much richer than the rest of us, and they are therefore better positioned to dominate politics with their checkbooks. Indeed, as campaign finance records show, this year’s stunning influx of cash isn’t coming primarily from small donors interested in democratic engagement — it is coming from the fat cats.

These are donors — or, better yet, sponsors — who don’t altruistically give money but who instead shrewdly invest it, in this case in candidates from whom they expect a return. And whether that return comes in the form of pre-election speeches promoting special-interest policies or post-election bills that provide windfalls to politically connected industries, the corrupt campaign finance system forcing candidates to rely on these sponsors means the investments almost always pay off.

This influence-buying explains why, for all the attempts to stress supposed differences, the two presidential candidates essentially agree on the major economic issues their Big Money financiers care about, from Social Security cuts (for them) to free trade deals (more of them) to regulations (less of them) to corporate tax rates (lower them).”

They look alike. Romney and Obama are both tall, articulate and aggressive, but when you listen closely, they often sound alike. Yes, there are stylistic differences and rhetorical distinctionsm but both are seeking to be perceived as centrists, focused more on dumbing it down and dumping on each other than offering bold reforms.
Gunner

Middletown, CT

#780061 Oct 22, 2012
Obama's Foreign Policy-Relations: Grade F

The results speak for themselves:

*We are more disliked than we were four years ago.

*We are closer to a major war between two countries in the Middle East than we have been in two decades.

*Four years into a presidency predicated on the promise of greater peace and greater respect, we have none of the former and less of the latter.

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#780062 Oct 22, 2012
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is, that video was so obscure, in the three months it was on the internet before the commemorative 9/11 preplanned attacks, it had a total of seventeen hits.
A total of 17 hits from around the world.
September 11 is a holy day for Arabs. That's the day they killed 3000 Americans.
The 9/11 commemorative attacks were going to happen even if that video never existed.
Now, come on. A video gets 17 hits from around the whole world in the three months of its existence, and it caused the Arab commemorative 9/11 uprisings?
The attacks were planned before the video even existed.
The attacks were going to happen to celebrate killing 3000 Americans on 9/11 even if this video never existed.
By the way, there are about a thousand videos critical of Muhammed on the internet. Why did Vallerie Jarrett choose this one to program Obama to blame the 9/11 commemorative 3000 Americans killed Arab celebration?
And, why did Obama throw the First Amendment under the bus instead of standing up for the United States and our way of life?
You f*cking idiot. The video was released again on Sept 9th in Arabic on Arabic TV.

You are too stupid to argue with. You ignore the truth &* just make up sh*t.
Jonathan Hemlock

New York, NY

#780063 Oct 22, 2012
Third parties are not welcome in the spectacle. Last week, the Green Party’s Presidential candidate Jill Stein was arrested for protesting her exclusion from the political debates.

And so if you are still harboring any illusions about the electoral process as a lever for change, forget them. Our democracy, alas, seems bought and paid for, an empty charade, even as our media and political class lecture the rest of the world about the holy grail of democracy.
Gunner

Middletown, CT

#780064 Oct 22, 2012
Hey, Radical Islam, Let's Sit Down and Talk

[Obama] has no peace agreements. No new regional alliances. No new friends. Our first assassinated ambassador in three decades. Embassies under attack. In the region, America is more isolated than it was on January 19, 2009.

And all of this is before we get to the issue of Iran’s efforts to wipe Israel off the map.

Whatever the merits of economic sanctions, international pressure and unknown intelligence efforts, Obama’s efforts have yielded this: The country we want to unnerve is confident; the country we want to calm is panicked. This is not an outcome of a winning foreign policy.

Since: Jul 08

We will not go gentle

#780065 Oct 22, 2012
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, first of all, Democrats had full control of Congress the first two years of Obama's presidency...
They could have done anything they wanted to do. They decided to shove Obamacare down our throats.
The obstructionists since January 2011 when Republicans took back the House are a slight majority of Democrat Senators who refused to even put legislation passed by the House up for a vote and rejected Obama's budget unanimously twice.
You've got it all wrong, my friend.
Do you know that just about everything that comes out of your mouth is a lie? Do you even care any more? "What this shows is is that there were only two time periods during the 111th Congress when the Democrats had a 60 seat majority:

From July 7. 2009 (when Al Franken was officially seated as the Senator from Minnesota after the last of Norm Coleman’s challenges came to an end) to August 25, 2009 (when Ted Kennedy died, although Kennedy’s illness had kept him from voting for several weeks before that date at least); and
From September 25, 2009 (when Paul Kirk was appointed to replace Kennedy) to February 4, 2010 (when Scott Brown took office after defeating Martha Coakley);
For one day in September 2009, Republicans lacked 40 votes due to the resignation of Mel Martinez, who was replaced the next day by George LeMieux

So, to the extent there was a filibuster proof majority in the Senate it lasted during two brief periods which lasted for a total of just over five months when counted altogether (and Congress was in its traditional summer recess for most of the July-August 2009 time frame).

It’s important to keep this fact in mind when discussing what could have happened in the 111th Congress, I think, and it’s probably something I haven’t kept in mind myself in the past."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#780066 Oct 22, 2012
Gunner wrote:
Hey Mitt, Some Ammo For Tonight
Across the crescent of states stretching from North Africa through Central Asia, America’s friends are fewer, its influence smaller, its strategic position weakened.
America has lost its reliable ally in Egypt, the most populous Arab nation, now ruled by the Muslim Brotherhood.
It has lost the respect of people in Syria, who in rebellion against a dictator see American support as toothless and empty.
Iran, America’s most implacable enemy in the world, squashed a popular uprising without fearing American action — and now moves into the void we left behind in Iraq.
http://forward.com/articles/162901/obama-shou...
So now you are for American intervention all over the world? Are you now for the wars in Afghanistan/Iraq? Odds you omit part of my post when you respond?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#780067 Oct 22, 2012
Gunner wrote:
Obama's Foreign Policy-Relations: Grade F
The results speak for themselves:
*We are more disliked than we were four years ago.
*We are closer to a major war between two countries in the Middle East than we have been in two decades.
*Four years into a presidency predicated on the promise of greater peace and greater respect, we have none of the former and less of the latter.
What no link to the rightwing hack who typed this?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jonathan Hemlock

New York, NY

#780068 Oct 22, 2012
The terrifying prospect of a Mitt Romney foreign policy has somehow obscured just how badly President Barack Obama has performed. When Obama took over as the self-proclaimed “leader of the free world” in January 2009 there was a war going on in Afghanistan, a lesser war continuing in Iraq, and smaller interventions in Yemen and Somalia. The global war on terror meant that there were also ongoing operations and military assistance programs in places like Colombia and the Philippines. Most of America’s allies were under friendly though frequently despotic control, with the key exception of Pakistan, which was becoming dangerously unstable due to the George W. Bush administration’s assertion of its own version of democracy promotion. Iran was the enemy du jour then as now with an alleged nuclear weapons program that somehow never actually produces a weapon. Obama, in his run for the presidency, had even criticized outgoing Bush for being soft on Iran. Relations with Russia and China were, if not friendly, at least non-confrontational.
LOL

Stroudsburg, PA

#780069 Oct 22, 2012
Ten people -- yes, a crowd of 10 -- took the time to stop and listen to Fluke as she touted the federal health care overhaul and condemned Mitt Romney's call to cut federal taxpayer support to Planned Parenthood.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/22/ob...

It's the economy, stooooopid LOL

Looks like the vagina syndrome has worn off.

Can't wait to see the little man wear his albatross named Benghazi to the debate tonight ... uh, hmmmm, oh, uh, let's see, ahhhhh, grin like chimp ... LOL

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 24 min Amazing Skulduggery 5
Buy Buy Charlie Rose.......LIBERAL! 29 min Poor Charlie Rose 1
Help me 34 min Gorilla Rape 7
Slop your greedy Hogs some more God!!! 47 min doG mnaDed lyHo i... 1
Live From "Earth II"....? 51 min 2 MANY 2 LIST 2
Trump is A 57 min WarmCuddlyGUY 73
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 64,126

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages